Sopranos - Series Finale Discussion

[quote name='hufferstl']I didn't pay attention to the credits, so I didn't see this. Nicki wasn't the lady at the gas station, was it? [/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure that it was Phil's wife, the woman who was driving.

Here's a pretty decent analysis of last nights show from the Star-Ledger, our local NJ paper. It mentions a few things I missed last night, like how Agent Harris is having an affair with his counterpart from Brooklyn. I assumed he was just married to another agent.

http://www.nj.com/columns/ledger/se...e/entertainment-0/1181536338249770.xml&coll=1

It was funny how excited
Agent Harris got when he found out that Phil had been clipped. "Damn, we're gonna win this thing!"
:D

Now that it's over, I guess I can start watching it from Season 1 onwards.

It's time to use those Coke Reward points for Blockbuster rentals.

I think the last scene was just a sick (and perhaps brilliant) way to put us viewers into the mindstate of someone who is involved in "the life." We get a montage of the most mundane things, but every shot makes you think Tony is about to get it. Guy goes to the bathroom and you're like "oh shit, Tony's gonna get shot!" Meadow's crossing the street and you're thinking "oh shit now it's gonna happen!" You've got the music going and you're like "what's the significance of this song, oh shit Tony's about to die!"

I'm going with the idea that the whole thing just ends up being a normal meal at the diner. But the ending gives us viewers a taste of the paranoia that Tony will be going through every day of his life.

If HBO puts the entire diner sequence (complete with the full ending) on this season's dvd set, that will be complete bullshit.:bomb:

[quote name='Maklershed']I agree with everyone on the bring back Deadwood statement. I feel it's a travesty that *insert name of show here* is still on the air but Deadwood isnt.[/QUOTE]

Bah, at least Deadwood is getting those movies to wrap up its plot. Carnivale fans are the ones who REALLY got screwed. :whistle2:(

EDIT: And the more I think about it, the more I'm going with it being a "life goes on" ending. I can't think of anyone at that point who would have had a REASON to kill Tony. It just really wouldn't make any sense.

[quote name='argyle']Bah, at least Deadwood is getting those movies to wrap up its plot. Carnivale fans are the ones who REALLY got screwed. :whistle2:(

EDIT: And the more I think about it, the more I'm going with it being a "life goes on" ending. I can't think of anyone at that point who would have had a REASON to kill Tony. It just really wouldn't make any sense.[/QUOTE]
To bad those Deadwood movies are up in the air right now. They better make them to wrap up the show. One of the greatest shows on TV needs some sort of ending.

Speaking of which, Deadwood s3 comes out tomorrow. It's roughly $44 at deepdiscount.com during their 20% off sale so I'll have to give it a purchase as I dont think I'll be able to find it much cheaper.

Jacked this from someone who found it on another site-

Remember when he was speaking with Bobby...basically saying that you don't see it happening?

So here is what I found out. The guy at the bar is also credited as Nikki Leotardo. The same actor played him in the first part of season 6 during a brief sit down concerning the future of Vito. That wasn't that long ago. Apparently, he is the nephew of Phil. Phil's brother Nikki Senior was killed in 1976 in a car accident. Absolutely Genius!!!! David Chase
is truly rewarding the true fans who pay attention to detail.

So the point would have been that life continues and we may never know the end of the Sopranos. But if you pay attention to the history, you will find that all the answers lie in the characters in the restaurant. The trucker was the brother of the guy who was robbed by Christopher in Season 2. Remember the DVD players? The trucker had to identify the body. The boy scouts were in the train store and the brothas at the end were the ones who tried to kill Tony and only clipped him in the ear (was that season 2 or 3?).
Absolutely incredible!!!! There were three people in the restaurant who had reason to kill Tony and thenit just ends. This was Chase's way of proving that he will not escape his past. It will not go on forever despite that he would like it to "don't stop". Not the fans!!! Tony would like it to keep going but just
as we have to say goodbye, so does he.

Tony's dead.

A) First episode of this season Bobby says you don't hear it when you're shot.

B) Second to last episode of this season, Tony flashes to Bobby saying you don't hear it when you're shot.

C) The entire story arc was about Tony - when Tony's gone, the arc is done.

D) In the diner, every time someone walked through the door, the perspective changed to Tony's as he looked up

E) After the last bell jingle, just as the perspective changed to Tony's everything went black and silent - as though the person whose perspective we were to shift to was no longer alive

F) The cat was a reminder that Tony killed Chris, and had Adriana killed. The cat was a reminder that Tony's a bad guy - who has it coming.

G) There was so much symmetry between Phil's execution in front of his family and Tony's last moments

H) We all know how much Godfather III ruined the Godfather movies. I think the focus on Meadow was a reference to the Godfather. David Chase didn't end it the way Godfather III ended. This time the boss gets killed.

I) Every other episode ended in music during the credits. This one had no music because Tony's dead.

J) Episode titles have always meant something. This episode's title referred to Bobby's gift of the gun to Tony. When he gave it to him he made the comment about how everything would just go silent when you were shot.

K) The ending was so incredibly brilliant. We all felt what it was like to be Tony in those final five minutes. We all felt nervous, anxious, just as he must have felt. After being absorbed into Tony's experience, we were left with silence and blackness like death because...

Tony is dead.

[quote name='Will']Every other episode ended in music during the credits. This one had no music because Tony's dead.[/quote]

Well, there's no arguing that logic! :D

[quote name='Will']Jacked this from someone who found it on another site-

Remember when he was speaking with Bobby...basically saying that you don't see it happening?

So here is what I found out. The guy at the bar is also credited as Nikki Leotardo. The same actor played him in the first part of season 6 during a brief sit down concerning the future of Vito. That wasn't that long ago. Apparently, he is the nephew of Phil. Phil's brother Nikki Senior was killed in 1976 in a car accident. Absolutely Genius!!!! David Chase

So the point would have been that life continues and we may never know the end of the Sopranos. But if you pay attention to the history, you will find that all the answers lie in the characters in the restaurant. The trucker was the brother of the guy who was robbed by Christopher in Season 2. Remember the DVD players? The trucker had to identify the body. The boy scouts were in the train store and the brothas at the end were the ones who tried to kill Tony and only clipped him in the ear (was that season 2 or 3?).
Absolutely incredible!!!! There were three people in the restaurant who had reason to kill Tony and thenit just ends. This was Chase's way of proving that he will not escape his past. It will not go on forever despite that he would like it to "don't stop". Not the fans!!! Tony would like it to keep going but just

Tony's dead.

B) Second to last episode of this season, Tony flashes to Bobby saying you don't hear it when you're shot.

D) In the diner, every time someone walked through the door, the perspective changed to Tony's as he looked up

E) After the last bell jingle, just as the perspective changed to Tony's everything went black and silent - as though the person whose perspective we were to shift to was no longer alive

F) The cat was a reminder that Tony killed Chris, and had Adriana killed. The cat was a reminder that Tony's a bad guy - who has it coming.

G) There was so much symmetry between Phil's execution in front of his family and Tony's last moments

H) We all know how much Godfather III ruined the Godfather movies. I think the focus on Meadow was a reference to the Godfather. David Chase didn't end it the way Godfather III ended. This time the boss gets killed.

I) Every other episode ended in music during the credits. This one had no music because Tony's dead.

J) Episode titles have always meant something. This episode's title referred to Bobby's gift of the gun to Tony. When he gave it to him he made the comment about how everything would just go silent when you were shot.

K) The ending was so incredibly brilliant. We all felt what it was like to be Tony in those final five minutes. We all felt nervous, anxious, just as he must have felt. After being absorbed into Tony's experience, we were left with silence and blackness like death because...

Tony is dead.
[/quote]

Well I don't buy any of that, The black guys are dead they killed them under the overpass. 2 I think he whole scene was meant to be a very tense moment reflecting Tony always needing to keep an eye out. On top of that the only sound you heard was the bell I think that if chase wanted you to think Tony was dead you would have heard a shot. Again I don't know I didn't like it but I'm also not an art house Nazi that needs meaning I just want an ending. Also that guy was credited as "Members Only jacket" ot "Members Only guy" watch the end credits

Updated ^^^^^^^^^^^

Tony's dead.

Tony is dead.
[/quote]

Some of that makes sense, but that part about the cat is just wack.

[quote name='shieryda']Some of that makes sense, but that part about the cat is just wack.[/QUOTE]

A lot of that was stretching imo. I honestly think life just went on for Tony & co., but at the same time it was made so that you can draw your own conclusions.

The part about the show being about Tony so he had to end with it was just nuts. The show was a slice of Tony's life - it didn't start when he was born (or even when he was first getting into the mob for that matter) so why would it have to end with his death?

[quote name='Kfoster1979']
Well I don't buy any of that, The black guys are dead they killed them under the overpass. 2 I think he whole scene was meant to be a very tense moment reflecting Tony always needing to keep an eye out. On top of that the only sound you heard was the bell I think that if chase wanted you to think Tony was dead you would have heard a shot. Again I don't know I didn't like it but I'm also not an art house Nazi that needs meaning I just want an ending. Also that guy was credited as "Members Only jacket" ot "Members Only guy" watch the end credits

Updated ^^^^^^^^^^^[/QUOTE]

I think he was referring to the two black guys that Junior was using to whack Tony. When they attacked only 1 survived cause one accidentally shot the other.

Well, I didn't recognize the black dudes from earlier in the season, but I didn't think that "Members Only" guy would even be credited at the end. There was really no reason for me to believe he'd have anything to do with Tony's demise.

[quote name='shieryda']Well, I didn't recognize the black dudes from earlier in the season, but I didn't think that "Members Only" guy would even be credited at the end. There was really no reason for me to believe he'd have anything to do with Tony's demise.[/QUOTE]

Here's a very recent interview with Chase, where he gives us nothing helpful whatsoever, except the say that there may or may not be a movie. Also, he moved to France to stop people from bothering him about the ending.

http://www.nj.com/columns/ledger/sepinwall/index.ssf?/base/columns-0/1181623651270570.xml&coll=1

Tony's dead.

Tony is dead.
[/quote]

no offense but all of those are dumb, illogical and/or speculative points that don't prove anything ( except A). it's hard to believe that some people are still trying to "make the pieces fit." Chase mocked this very way of thinking with his ending...life never makes sense.

[quote name='shieryda']It was funny how excited
Agent Harris got when he found out that Phil had been clipped. "Damn, we're gonna win this thing!"
:D[/QUOTE]

Yes I liked that also. So the theory that Tony might be dead is a good one.

I just stole this from E online

http://www.eonline.com/gossip/kristin/detail/index.jsp?uuid=7136da9d-f804-4ec1-bb24-bec711a4aee6
Full text below
If you've been anywhere on the Internet since Sunday night's series finale of The Sopranos, you're probably aware that the opaque ending has everyone talking. And some of those talkers are just plain full of it. I've been forwarded one particular analysis of the final scene a number of times, and since I was both fascinated and kinda confused, I asked a Home Box Officer to help solve the mystery...
Chances are, you may have received this same email in your inbox. But if not, I reproduce it here for your sleuthing pleasure:
So here is what I found out. The guy at the bar is also credited as Nikki Leotardo. The same actor played him in the first part of season 6 during a brief sit down concerning the future of Vito. That wasn't that long ago. Apparently, he is the nephew of Phil. Phil's brother Nikki Senior was killed in 1976 in a car accident. Absolutely Genius!!!! David Chase is truly rewarding the true fans who pay attention to detail.
So the point would have been that life continues and we may never know the end of the Sopranos. But if you pay attention to the history, you will find that all the answers lie in the characters in the restaurant. The trucker was the brother of the guy who was robbed by Christopher in Season 2. Remember the DVD players? The trucker had to identify the body. The boy scouts were in the train store and the brothas at the end were the ones who tried to kill Tony and only clipped him in the ear (was that season 2 or 3?). Absolutely incredible!!!! There were three people in the restaurant who had reason to kill Tony and then it just ends. This was Chase's way of proving that he will not escape his past.
Yeesh, right? We haven't read anything that convoluted and all-encompassing since we spent an afternoon cruising conspiracy-theory Websites.
Well, not so fast. It's all lies and misinformation, according to Tobe Becker, an official licensed-and-bonded rep for the show, who tells us:

I honestly think this e-mail is some sort of a prank because it has spread so far and wide and is absolutely not founded on any factual information. There is no character named Nikki Leotardo in the finale episode–that is a fact–I do not understand why the person who wrote that e-mail states otherwise. The other "facts" are also incorrect–the trucker, the boy scouts, the two African-Americans who came into the diner (we KNOW that is false, because when the attempt was made on Tony Soprano’s life, one of those guys was killed in the shootout) So you can dismiss the entire e-mail...
There you have it, folks. The first proof ever that there are factual inaccuracies on the Web and/or crazy people talking out of their butts. (Okay, maybe not the first proof, since I have been implicated in at least half of the first 2,323 factual inaccuracies on the Internet, but hey, I've never been convicted. At least according to Wikipedia.)
And now that you can put your minds to rest about Nikki Leotardo, you may carry on with your carryin' on! And remember, don't stop believin'...

My Thoughts Below

I'm starting to think Chase had no idea how he wanted it to end. There was no deep meaning, very little symbolism , and not Kubrick like. We just got a six season look into a mobsters life ... end of story

To be honest, I've never watched an episode of The Sopranos a day in my life, but all these theories about the finale intrigue the hell out of me.

That article is outstanding... all the symbolism i thought would be there, explained... although it could all be coincidence, it generally enforces how I felt about what happened to Tony.

bread's done
Back