Soul Calibur IV Hori Arcade Stick (PS3/360) $8 off at Amazon

This is the exact same stick as the Fighting Stick 3, then? Just with a dab of Soul calibur paint?
Still, $40 is damn good for an arcade stick.

The PS3 stick is bluetooth, right? I mean, it doesn't have a usb cord or anything? I'm very tempted by this....

[quote name='argyle']The PS3 stick is bluetooth, right? I mean, it doesn't have a usb cord or anything? I'm very tempted by this....[/quote]
It is usb. It has a cord.

Anyone have a XBOX 360 Hori arcade stick; thinking about getting it for my brother who is into Street Fighter 2 HD remix. Would this work well for that (especially, competitive play)? Just can only tell from the button config that that looks like what he would want.

[quote name='jtdragon']Anyone have a XBOX 360 Hori arcade stick; thinking about getting it for my brother who is into Street Fighter 2 HD remix. Would this work well for that (especially, competitive play)? Just can only tell from the button config that that looks like what he would want.[/quote]

It depends what he's used to - if he's used to American sticks, it might take a bit of adjusting. The stick itself is a lot looser than American ones, it's shaped differently, and uses a square restrictor plate. The buttons feel a little awkward at first because of the way its laid out at an angle as opposed to in a straight line.

[quote name='Scarface7']Any reason why the PS3 stick has 2 extra buttons?[/quote]

The PS3 stick has all of the L/R as buttons. The 360 one only has LT/RT with LB/RB being smaller buttons along the top of the stick.

(yes, I have both of these. :X)

[quote name='thirtytwoutside']
The PS3 stick has all of the L/R as buttons. The 360 one only has LT/RT with LB/RB being smaller buttons along the top of the stick.

(yes, I have both of these. :X)[/quote]
Which would you recommend? Still not sure which system I'll be getting SC IV for yet. Prefer to go PS3 but would rather have Yoda. That said, the only fighting game I currently own is DoA 4 which is on X360. Thoughts?

I was also wondering why the 360 version is 10 bucks more. Anyways, in for one and got an extra 10 bucks off using the "bill me later" promo.

I want to get this with the bill me later but I don't have a credit card, just a debit card.

Will it still work?

That would make the overall price of the 360 stick = $41.99 (w/o tax), right?

Also, "*Finance charges apply if paid over time."

What?

[quote name='abcbadcat']I want to get this with the bill me later but I don't have a credit card, just a debit card.

Will it still work?

That would make the overall price of the 360 stick = $41.99 (w/o tax), right?

Also, "*Finance charges apply if paid over time."

What?[/quote]

Bill me Later means you can pay with any form of payment after you get your bill. It is similar to opening another line of credit except you don't get a line of credit. You can just buy things and you will receive a bill. If you pay the bill, you will not get hit with interest, but if you carry a balance the interest rate is 19.99% much like a credit card. They will hit your credit score but it won't matter unless you are making a big purchase soon.

[quote name='FurryCurry']Yeah why is it more expensive? Strange. Amazon, fix this.[/quote]

Its not Amazon's fault, the MSRP is higher. Blame Microsoft for their licensing fees.

[quote name='h3ro']Are these controllers wireless?[/quote]

No.

Heads up, unless you're casual and don't care much about quality/build these sticks are average at best. There are better sticks out there but they cost a LOT more.

If you're satisfied with them though, that's good!

Both will work with PCs btw.

dammit , i cant decide which system to get this damn game for

i want for 360, i prefer to play with yoda and I like teh achievements.

But i want the Ps3 hori stick.

Anyone have anyidea which system will have the better version?

And the whole "Kratos" in SCIV has been shot down right?

[quote name='jacknicklson']Bill me Later means you can pay with any form of payment after you get your bill. It is similar to opening another line of credit except you don't get a line of credit. You can just buy things and you will receive a bill. If you pay the bill, you will not get hit with interest, but if you carry a balance the interest rate is 19.99% much like a credit card. They will hit your credit score but it won't matter unless you are making a big purchase soon.[/quote]

So I can do Bill me Later and then pay and not have to worry about any of the credit/interest stuff? Can I use my debit card?

So if I use the Bill Me Later for the extra $10... I can get the 360 stick for $41.99 w/o tax?

I wonder if the PS3 stick will work on the 360 and vise versa. They are both USB afterall. It may just be a button relabelling. Just a thought.

[quote name='abcbadcat']So I can do Bill me Later and then pay and not have to worry about any of the credit/interest stuff? Can I use my debit card?

So if I use the Bill Me Later for the extra $10... I can get the 360 stick for $41.99 w/o tax?[/quote]

Yes, just pay your bill when it comes later.

[quote name='djbooba']It is usb. It has a cord.[/QUOTE]

Eh, pretty much kills my interest. If I'm going to have a cord anyway, I'd just as soon use my tekken 5 stick w/ a ps2->usb adapter. I may get the SCIV stick later on if Amazon decided to clear them out - which is pretty likely anyway I'd say.

[quote name='MarkMan']Heads up, unless you're casual and don't care much about quality/build these sticks are average at best. There are better sticks out there but they cost a LOT more.

If you're satisfied with them though, that's good!

Both will work with PCs btw.[/QUOTE]

Of course a stick that costs a lot more is going to be better. I've used these Hori sticks and they work very well. Thanks for ignorantly branding me and everyone else as that use these sticks as"casual" and that we don't care about quality.

When Amazon clears out the sticks, do you think they'll be cheaper than ~$40?

Thats a pretty damn good price and the original sticks are still $60+

http://www.lizardlickamusements.com/pages/joysticks.shtml
Also if I were to get this stick, would I just need these to make it more like Street Fighter?
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sanwa [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] LB-30-N Joystick Bat Top[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sanwa [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Joystick Adapter

Finally, which would work with this stick to make it an 8 way gate?
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sanwa [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] GT-Y Octagonal Restrictor Plate
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sanwa [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] GT-8N 4/8-Way Restrictor Plate
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sanwa [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] GT-8F 4/8-Way Restrictor Plate[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sanwa [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] GT-0 Round Restrictor Plate[/FONT]

[quote name='MIX_MASTER_ICE']Of course a stick that costs a lot more is going to be better. I've used these Hori sticks and they work very well. Thanks for ignorantly branding me and everyone else as that use these sticks as"casual" and that we don't care about quality.[/quote]

Lol that's what I was thinking. I was like "Well duh, we just want something that works well. We aren't going to tournys with these things."

I want it for shmups honestly.

[quote name='abcbadcat']When Amazon clears out the sticks, do you think they'll be cheaper than ~$40?

Thats a pretty damn good price and the original sticks are still $60+

http://www.lizardlickamusements.com/pages/joysticks.shtml
Also if I were to get this stick, would I just need these to make it more like Street Fighter?
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sanwa [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] LB-30-N Joystick Bat Top[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sanwa [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Joystick Adapter

Finally, which would work with this stick to make it an 8 way gate?
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sanwa [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] GT-Y Octagonal Restrictor Plate
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sanwa [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] GT-8N 4/8-Way Restrictor Plate
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sanwa [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] GT-8F 4/8-Way Restrictor Plate[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sanwa [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] GT-0 Round Restrictor Plate[/FONT]
[/quote]

The [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sanwa [/FONT] GT-Y Octagonal Restrictor Plate is the one you would need. It is currently out of stock.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Since people have been anticipating these Soul Caliber theme sticks, the restrictor plate went out of stock.

Also, the only place that had the Hori stick on sale was Gamestop who had them at $40. The price was for the Virtua Fighter theme stick which I picked up myself. This was about 2-3 months ago?
[/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:
Think what you want, but if you're insulted by that, then you should be casual... you should know that these parts are no where near as good as actual arcade components.

Why do you think so many people mod them?

I didn't mean to offend anyone, just offered friendly advice from someone with a lot of experience in the arcade stick field.

[quote name='Supercake']Will the PS3 or 360 stick work for PC?[/quote]

Definitely on the 360 one, you'll just have to download a driver for it. Not sure on the PS3 one. Either way, check out the FAQ over at Shoryuken.com's forums for all the details...

[quote name='MarkMan']Think what you want, but if you're insulted by that, then you should be casual... you should know that these parts are no where near as good as actual arcade components.

Why do you think so many people mod them?

I didn't mean to offend anyone, just offered friendly advice from someone with a lot of experience in the arcade stick field.[/QUOTE]

The only thing insulting is your elitist attitude. I'm not insulted at all by you saying the Hori stick isn't as good as a much more expensive stick. I think we all know this, Chief. If you want to state the obvious that this 40 dollar stick isn't as good as a 200 dollar one, then knock yourself out, just don't follow that up with despariging remarks that make those who use these sticks as beneath you. I guess we all don't aspire to be a "Tekken Master." lol

Take it as you will. I'll keep the elitist attitude as I don't care what you or anyone else things. :)

Scrub.

j/k.

In all honesty, you're right, I apologize. I'll take that attitude elsewhere. I'll try to be more helpful. So if anyone has questions about either stick (I have both already), please let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh and if anyone is wondering, yes it works great with all fighting games, even in backwards compatibility. It is responsive enough, no dropped inputs etc.

It works great(naturally) for Soul Calibur IV.

However I did most of my testing for the PS3 stick with T5DR and SF2 HD Remix beta for the 360 one.

Besides the SC4 art, there really isn't any difference between this and the DOA4 Stick right?

I would like to mod mines. Maybe make it a bit tighter and change the ball joystick to a bat joystick.

I didn't open up the SC IV stick to compare the innards, but from the outside they are EXACTLY the same aside from art.

I'm pretty sure they are the same inside too.

The DoA4 and EX2 are exactly the same in that regard as well.

Actually, I do have a question for MarkMan.

I'm very tempted to get these sticks. When you say that the components are not arcade-quality, what do you mean? I thought the Hori sticks WERE arcade quality, but just different, since the style of the stick is more popular in Japan.

For background, I have the Pelican "real arcade" stick, and although it looks real, the quality of the stick/buttons was lacking, and I subbed them out for real HAPP arcade parts.

My friend bought a Hori import, which looks to have the same design as these sticks, for 85 bucks, and presumably this also is arcade quality.

So are these Hori's different? Does Hori make a lower end arcade stick for these promotions? Or is this just a painted up standard Hori stick? Thanks

The Hori sticks in this thread are using cloned parts that are modeled after Sanwa arcade parts.

Some Hori sticks DO have real arcade parts, that is from the Real Arcade Pro lines. They have actual Sanwa arcade sticks (found in the majority of arcade machines in Japan).

Both of these sticks have been released previously and just feature different artwork.

Markman knows his stuff. He only tries to help out. Considering he has more joysticks than most of you have games, I would trust his opinion.

The difference between the cheaper Hori sticks and a stick with Sanwa parts may not be noticeable or even important to the average gamer. With that note, if you played a game using a Hori and then directly compared it to a real Sanwa stick, the difference is there. The joystick throw, the button clicks, etc.

bread's done
Back