SoulCalibur IV - (10.17.08) - Vader/Yoda DLC set to release on 10/23 [400 points]

[quote name='MarkMan']I’m willing to bet that there will STILL be game play differences between both the 360 and PS3 versions just like there were between the Xbox and PS2 versions (not talking about console exclusive characters of course)… I mean actual game play elements and move properties. (ex. Ivy’s 4A+B) We’ll see soon.[/quote]
you got a link to something about that? I'd like to read about that.
and didn't Namco officially have Capcom's consent to put Dante in SCIII, but didn't?

Didn't they say that the ps3 version would be the tourny approved one or something? Either way I'm getting that one, and may even suck it up and buy the stick since I have a bunch of summer work money!

According to Rolento's link, the two versions are "identical." I hope this means that there are absolutely no game play differences. I don't own a PS3, and I won't be buying one any time soon, so the 360 version is it for me.

[quote name='Pylis']According to Rolento's link, the two versions are "identical." I hope this means that there are absolutely no game play differences. I don't own a PS3, and I won't be buying one any time soon, so the 360 version is it for me.[/QUOTE]

According to the link

Directing to PSU.com

To a quote by Sasaki

I don't buy it. If it is a port, there will be differences.

[quote name='B:L']According to the link

Directing to PSU.com

To a quote by Sasaki

I don't buy it. If it is a port, there will be differences.[/QUOTE]

Really, differences in game play? I don't completely buy that the two versions will be identical in performance, but what reason would there be to have the games play differently? Forgive my ignorance--I'm more of a casual fighting game fan.

If the the two versions do play differently most people will never know it... [from first hand experience] once you buy one, you're less likely to go out and buy or play the other version.

[quote name='B:L']According to the link

Directing to PSU.com

To a quote by Sasaki

I don't buy it. If it is a port, there will be differences.[/QUOTE]

Definitely possible. I don't buy that they'll be identical performance-wise, but the notion that the game will feature different game play properties across the consoles surprises me. Then again, MarkMan's comment about game play differences between the XBox and PS2 versions wasn't something I was aware of, either.

Even if one game is more superior in terms of gameplay, at least it can be corrected via a patch. To me, I don't think there should be any worry of which version to get. IF they're graphically similar, then any other inferior elements can be brought up to par. Right?

B:L would probably be better versed in the differences between SC II from console to console. I know there were some, most notorious I think was the Xbox vs PS2 Ivy move I mentioned...

I know we'll find out soon though. I have good faith in the fighting game community to find and break this game down. Just like when SCIII first came out. That shit got broken down quickly.

I even remember at E3 the first time SC3 was playable at the mini tournament there, the players already found out about stupid stuff like Mitsurugi's post SC unblockable stuff (which was taken out wasn't it?) I forget, so long ago... I miss old E3.

New vids, original post on NeoGAF.

Soul Calibur IV

Amy vs. Seigfried
tc_1286_0002.jpg

WMV/MP4 | http://www.gamersyde.com/news_6706.html
Stream | http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_7599.html

Ivy vs. Voldo
tc_1286_0001.jpg

Stream | http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_7601.html

Mina vs. Hilde
tc_1286_0004.jpg

Stream | http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_7602.html

Tira vs. Mitsurugi
tc_1286_0007.jpg

Stream | http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_7603.html

Xianghua vs. Cervantes
tc_1286_0005.jpg

Stream | http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_7604.html

Soul Calibur XBLA

tc_1682_0016.jpg

WMV/MP4 | http://www.gamersyde.com/news_6704.html
Stream | http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_7596.html

I'm making all of my characters look like freaks, or as close as I can get. And I hope I can custom color Vader so I can make him storm trooper white. :)

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I always thought it looked more like kermit.[/quote]
Yeah, but Kermit isn't as fuzzy or furry. Eitherway, looks like she killed some kinda green muppet.

[quote name='MarkMan']New vids, original post on NeoGAF.

Soul Calibur IV

[/quote]

Thanks for the vids MM, the game play in SC4 looks amazing. It actually made me forget about the stupid Star Wars crap.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']after watching the gameplay video I learned 2 things:

1. Tira is once again awesome

2. The english voice acting is once again horrible... actually worse.[/quote]

Tira is the ring girl right? Yeah she's always awesome that is who I usually use girl wise. Yeah the English VA is pretty bad, I'll admit but has it ever been good? :razz:

June 27, 2008 - New Gameplay Movies

June 27, 2008 - New Screenshots and translation

http://japan.gamespot.com/ps3/news/story/0,3800075348,20376075,00.htm

translated by Gojira of Caliburforum

Soul Calibur IV gameplay details, character creation observations

Here's the latest gameplay information from Bandai-Namco on their latest game Soul Calibur IV, which is set to release for PS3 and Xbox360 on 7/31/08.

This time we'll be introducing every game mode and the new system details. We also have some easy-to-understand explanatory comics for those new to the game. They can be found here. (LOL)

Game Modes

Single Player Mode
Story
The mode where your character experiences the story of Soul Calibur IV. As the character walks around in the adventure world, you can choose the destination. You can also get caught up in other characters' stories or wait for them to conclude.
With active battle, on the way you will encounter various enemies and allies coming and going, and can enjoy nonstop battles with them.

Tower of Lost Souls
This is a game where you aim to conquer a tower with enemies lying in wait to defeat on every floor. There are two types of challenge, with either survival or mission elements. Rather than capture techniques, the key is in character creation. (not sure about that last part)
There are two choices: "Climb the Tower" or "Descent into the Underground," and on every floor the player can select a number of characters. If there's a treasure box on a floor, you can find character creation parts or gold inside. As you change floors your life gauge will not recover, so be careful.
In addition to the common characters you're used to seeing, you will also meet special characters which are exclusive to Tower of Souls. (...Hwa**?)

Arcade
This is the traditional 8-stage COM battle.
Hitting the enemy with special moves gets a score, and depending on your method of attack the score changes.
Your life gauge and time remaining factor into a bonus score, and at the end your total score is entered into an online ranking.

Training
Here's the practice mode where you can adjust certain small conditions.
From newbie beginners to advanced players, there's a broad range of support. With opponent actions/settings, commands, command recording, replay, gauges and weapon parts and so forth, you can embark on a diverse training regimen.

Vs. Mode
The mode where you can freely select character and stage and have 1-on-1 battles with the COM or a friend.

Standard
This is the traditional standard mode where weapon and parts have no effect.

Special
Here, weapon and parts can have various effects.

Network Mode
PS3 uses PSN; Xbox 360 uses Xbox Live.
The mode where you can wage battle with players all over the world. You can also check out player rankings here.

Vs. Standard
Same as offline standard Vs.

Vs. Special
Same as offline special vs.

Character Creation
Mode where, combining various weapons and parts, you can create your own original character. With all these new elements, you really can make it your own original character!

Adjust muscle tone and size to your preference

Character voice step (pitch?) can be changed

Select skill setting and special abilities

Depending on how you designate starting equipment (equipment, battle gear, articles) you can make a character with the style (?) you prefer

Customization of regular characters evolves greatly! There's a variety of parts to be made into equipment!

A countless number of characters can be stored!

As you save gold in the game you can purchase more weapons and defensive items for your customizing enjoyment

The editable portion of original characters is over 20 places!
Clothes can be worn on top of eachother, and colors can be changed!

There is an astronomical variety of combinations for character creations.

Creation Flow
1. From the character select screen you choose a regular character or original character
2. Choose editing data
3. Enter editing screen

Original Character Creation Flow
1. Choose original character from the character select screen
2. Choose editing data
3. Choose gender (no effect on character abilities)
4. Choose the style (weapon and basic abilities, skill type is decided)
5. Designate starting equipment
6. Enter editing screen

(Captions)
L: Gender select, R: Discipline select
L: Weapon select, R: Starting equipment
Not just face and skin, but parts can have color changed
Parts also have presets that can be chosen
Various skills can be set
The difference between minimum physique and high

Here are some brilliant creations. You can find a lot of others in the screenshots here.

Museum
In this mode you can do stuff like purchase character illustrations and view a relationship tree.

Chain of Souls
At a glance you can see the character relations, profiles and such to help appreciate the story.

Art Gallery
Appreciate various artworks of the characters.

Event Theater
You'll find various event scenes and special movies here.

Battle Records
See awards you've earned. You can also view requirements for earning special awards.

Options
Modify settings.

b106gi4.jpg
Chain of Souls Mode
b077ik3.jpg
Greatest CAS Ever?
b075wz3.jpg

b076so0.jpg
Snake? Snaaake? Snaaaaake!
b079xt5.jpg

b080mm5.jpg

b081ui5.jpg

b078hc5.jpg

b086ad0.jpg

b082ko6.jpg

b084ki8.jpg

b087up9.jpg

b088xl0.jpg

b091gi5.jpg

b092pb8.jpg

b093vq7.jpg

b098fw7.jpg
Ryu Hayabusa Vs Naruto Anbu?
b102tt5.jpg

b103as1.jpg

b104da7.jpg

b105zk0.jpg

We got solid snake, teddy bear fighter, qtip fighters, ryu hyabusa, naruto anbu fighters, pirates, pharoahs, ninjas, samurai's, witch's, barbarians, catgirls....man this shit is gonna be epic.

Any word on custom character sharing? That would be amazing. Imagine a sharing system (maybe similar to Halo 3, where you can view it all online too) where you can trade, rate, and play other custom characters...

If they had that, I'd prolly fill my HD...

it's totally possible. I know that not everything has been shown of this game, so yeah, it can happen.

if not, save files of characters should be easy to move from system to system.

Sharing option or not, the 20(?) character limit is sort of a downer considering how many crazy characters people are going to be making and showing off online. Seems like an artificial limit since everyone's got hard drives now, too.

Regardless, I think this latest set of screens has gotten me more excited for the game than anything before it. End of July sure seems a lot farther away now. :drool:

[quote name='metaly']Sharing option or not, the 20(?) character limit is sort of a downer considering how many crazy characters people are going to be making and showing off online. Seems like an artificial limit since everyone's got hard drives now, too.

Regardless, I think this latest set of screens has gotten me more excited for the game than anything before it. End of July sure seems a lot farther away now. :drool:[/QUOTE]

since when was it a 20 character limit? it's 50.

This might be the first game that is really worth paying full price for. There's so much customization, I don't think I'll be bored for a couple months.

Are we gonna set up a CAG Soul Calibur night? I'm going with the 360 version so feel free to add me when this comes out.

[quote name='depascal22']Are we gonna set up a CAG Soul Calibur night? I'm going with the 360 version so feel free to add me when this comes out.[/quote]
I might be up for something like that. It'd be an easy win for whoever faces me through...

When we get closer to release i'll start a list of people who want to share their gamertags and ps3 names so that we can all add each other and have the list in the OP for everyone.

I definitely want to play some Cags online for sure when this comes out.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']and a hard win against me or any fighter thread regulars...[/quote]

Quit bragging. ;)

I'm in. Prolly getting the PS3 version. I used to be pretty damned good, but haven't played in so long, I'll probably suck. Hopefully I can get some skills back (too bad no time to start practicing up :) )

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']since when was it a 20 character limit? it's 50.[/quote]

Whoops, that's a relief. 50 slots should last me a while.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']well whenever a DMC multiplayer online game comes out, you can kick my ass.[/quote]

Lulz, that is the TRUF thar BOI. If you do end up getting it for dat TRIPS then we will have to play for sure. I used to be good at SCII but I have sucked since I went back to play it, same for SCIII. Oh well I don't really carer if I lose I just wanna play some Cag friends and have a blast getting...
:fridge:

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']and a hard win against me or any fighter thread regulars...[/QUOTE]

Get hype....the man speaks the truth

I can't wait for this game. Comes out around my birthday I believe. Booya

Maaaan, I'm seriously considering buying both versions of SCIV. Would kill my wallet though since I have to save up money for school!

bread's done
Back