Sound Cards?

munoi

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
Would I want a sound card for my pc? I the reason I'm asking is because woot.com is selling the Razer Barracuda AC1 sound card for $70. On a price standpoint its seems like a good deal, but will SQ be a clear difference from on-board 5.1 on a sub-budget HTIB?

Thanks

If you are and audio guy, then yes.......but if your mobo has integraded audio it should fill your needs, if u want better audio quality and have a nice set of speakers, go for it, but if you are looking for gaming performance, I've read the gain is minimal.......it all depends on your system setup, correct me if I am wrong.....

[quote name='munoi']Would I want a sound card for my pc? I the reason I'm asking is because woot.com is selling the Razer Barracuda AC1 sound card for $70. On a price standpoint its seems like a good deal, but will SQ be a clear difference from on-board 5.1 on a sub-budget HTIB?

Thanks[/quote]

Ive always been satisfied with the sound that comes from the mobo itself, and buying a cheap 2.1 surround sound to compliment it, or some good headphones, ive never had any problems doing this and have really never felt the need to purchase a sound card.

Of course, if you are a complete audiophile, which some people are, then you definately want one because there is a noticeable difference, albeit small, in the sound. But it would also depend on what speakers you have, the better the speakrs the bigger the difference will be.

You also need to be careful and if you're running vista make sure that the sound card is compatible with vista, I know there are a few that dont run on OPEN GL I think and wont work. (or somethign likethat)

I'm not too sure that Razer is a great soundcard. If you want to get a better soundcard then save up and buy a better product like the X-Fi (or Auzentech's X-Fi or X-Meridian, which are even better for sound quality).

Also remember that no matter how good your sound card is, if you're playing crappy 128kbps mp3s on it it's still going to sound crappy. Garbage in, garbage out. Make sure you have the other components to support a better soundcard (decent headphones/speakers, good source material).

Ruahrc

bread's done
Back