South Park: The Stick of Truth - It's Finally Here!

n8rockerasu

CAGiversary!
Feedback
52 (100%)
I searched and couldn't find a thread for this...and not that there's a great deal of discussion to be had, but I figured since this game has finally made it to its release date, it deserved a thread.

I was able to get in on the "Get BestBuy to pricematch the Target price mistake on the CE" for $59.99...which is hardly a price i pay for games anymore. But I've been a South Park fan since the beginning, and this game really seemed like a love letter to the fans...so I decided to just go for it.

Surprisingly, UPS delivered my game today (a day early for a game that was delayed like a year, haha). So far, I'm loving it. It does feel exactly like the show. You play as "the new kid" and get to create your own South Park character (much like some of the designers you see online). You also get to type in your name...but Cartman has another name for you in mind (anybody who remembers Game Informer's preview from a long time ago might remember this).

So far, the writing seems great (interact with everything you can). Wandering around the town is pretty cool (there is a fast travel option if you get tired of it). And the turned-based/timing combat system feels really good. The attacks are exactly what you would expect from South Park too...complete with a little Roshambo.

Ultimately, I'm just glad this game actually got made. I definitely feel like it's the South Park experience everybody has been waiting for for many years.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's great to hear that it's good, which seems to be the consensus of everyone I've heard from who got early access from Ubi. I'm just waiting on Steam to unlock this bad boy so I can laugh until I urinate blood (hopefully).

Just played for a bit more...and there are so many nods to past seasons, and key jokes throughout the years. It really pays to explore every room of every character's home. And talk to every person in the game until they start repeating themselves. Even the collectables are pretty insane. You can really see how much time was put into making this game.

I am very interested in this one. How are the mechanics of the game? For instance, the battle system? I'm hoping it plays like the old school Jrpgs.

Ahhh my CE was in Chicago since Saturday and I live in the suburbs. I was hoping I'd have it early but it's getting to me tomorrow. I can't wait to play it. Just wished they could have added a multiplayer component but I'm not sure how that would have worked in this game.

Yeah...having multiplayer (or at least some kind of multiplayer sidemode even) seems like it could have added a bunch of laughs. But if you think about the RPG nature of the game, it probably wouldn't have fit very well.

As for the battle system, I've never been a huge RPG/turn based guy. But I've always loved the unique ones with timing based attacks. Paper Mario, Costume Quest, stuff like that. And to me, it fits right in that vein perfectly. You've got stuff like "Press A to begin attack. When your sword lights up, press A again for a normal attack or X for a powerful attack."

And the system seems pretty elaborate and fleshed out. You've got your timing based blocks, your counterattacks if you performed those blocks perfectly, your stunned opponents, healing items (Cheesy Poofs, haha), melee, ranged, magic, special abilities, and on and on and on. From the couple hours I've put in so far, I can't say that there's been anything that I've felt was really missing.

And of course, you've got your character classes you get to choose from at the beginning: Fighter, Mage, Thief, and Jew, lol. There's also tons of customization options. Some that are armor oriented, and some that are just addons from various episodes of the show (Cartman's evil goatee, Cartman's infamous "chinballs", etc). Just seriously, so many references and easter eggs from the show's 17 year run. If I wasn't a big fan, I doubt I'd pay $60 for the game (moreso because I'm not really sure any game is worth $60..not because the game is bad in any way). But as a fan, it feels worth every penny so far...especially when I factor in the deal I got on the CE.

Watched a video on IGN with Greg and Ryan talking about the game and how it really does feel like you're playing an episode of the show and wondering if it's actually the best licensed game they've played. SoB! Not a huge South Park fan, have seen a fair share but I don't normally keep up with each episode, but yeah this sounds like something I'll be eventually adding to my gaming collection. This also reminds me, I still have Penny Arcade Adventures Ep 1 & 2 in my backlog...

N8, have you run into any bugs so far? Read a review that it was a problem. I'm really tempted to pick this up. Dark Souls 2 coming next week though and I already have that paid off. I'm going to try to hold off for a bit, but i'm weak and this looks great.

I'm a huge South Park fan; I've got all the DVD season sets and watch them over and over, so I can't wait to experience all the little references and collectibles and whatnot.  I wanted to preorder this game in the worst way, but I held off because I was worried about being disappointed- the history of South Park games is not a glorious one.  So glad to hear they finally made a good SP game.  Thanks for posting your impressions of the game, N8!

N8, have you run into any bugs so far? Read a review that it was a problem. I'm really tempted to pick this up. Dark Souls 2 coming next week though and I already have that paid off. I'm going to try to hold off for a bit, but i'm weak and this looks great.
I'm going to knock on some wood before I answer this, but I've put 4 hours in now...and have not encountered a single bug, hiccup, or glitch that would indicate in any way a poorly designed or poorly functioning game. Any time I've had something "go wrong" it's been pretty apparent that I screwed up (timing the attacks, for example). The game even has the "first hit" mechanic where if you engage the enemy before it transports you to the "battle screen", you get to attack them first. And even with 2D graphics on a 3D plane, this has worked flawlessly.

I'm a huge South Park fan; I've got all the DVD season sets and watch them over and over, so I can't wait to experience all the little references and collectibles and whatnot. I wanted to preorder this game in the worst way, but I held off because I was worried about being disappointed- the history of South Park games is not a glorious one. So glad to hear they finally made a good SP game. Thanks for posting your impressions of the game, N8!
No problem. I've been looking forward to the game since 2012...and when THQ went under and all the delays started happening, I got nervous it was going to get cancelled. I always figured that as long as it came out, it would be good. Parker and Stone put a lot of time into it and constantly said that they didn't want the game to be released until they were sure it was ready. I just think that most of us have been conditioned that usually when video game companies give us that line, it means the game is shit. At least so far, it seems like it was actually true for this game.

First couple minutes, I was already laughing. For some reason, standing in the shower with it running while looking at the camera had my cracking up. I've had a blast so far and it's so well written. Hopefully they keep up like this and make some more. I'm torn on whether or not to use my gamestop pre order code or just sell it. 

Picked up a copy this morning at Best Buy but didn't get a chance to play it because I had to get to bed (I work nights)  

Can't wait to get home from work tomorrow morning and crack into it as soon as my wife and kids go out the door!

^ You guys are in for a treat. I played a few hours of it and I love it. Definitely a great game and worth buying at release. The humor from the show is there and I love all the stuff from the show they included. It's fun remembering some of the best moments of the show. I hope they continue making south park games of this caliber.

Ive been watching some gameplay on twitch, it looks pretty good, some great laughs in it too. I'll wait for a lower price though. 

ive been a big southpark fan sense around season 2 actually. im loving this game so much.  its literally packed with jokes and references from all the seasons. the collectibles are great find all the chimpokomon. yeah and be sure to open every door for the houses couldnt believe a few things i saw lol. the combat is also really fun.

I don't know the exact reason, but this game has been highly addictive for me. It's been a long time since I've played a game where I've had to actually force myself to turn the game off, but that's happened to me with this game the past two nights. Maybe it's a combination of the subject matter being so enjoyable and the fact that the gameplay is somewhat casual. But it's really easy to be like "ok, one more quest" and then another 30-45 minutes has vanished.

I also love the way the game rips on you when you're taking extra care to make sure you don't miss anything. "Your friend is getting raped upstairs, but yeah, go ahead...look around some more." :lol:

I'm firing it up for the first time and cannot wait! BB screwed up delivery but I probably wouldn't have had time to play until now anyway.

I picked this up on Tuesday, but my kids have been home sick from school all week, so I haven't been able to put any time into it yet.  Hoping they're both feeling good enough to make it to school tomorrow.  I'm dying to play this!

Not a South Park fan but got the game anyways. Glad I did I've been laughing and having a great time.
I'm not a huge fan, I've seen a couple of episodes that I thought were funny, but yeah I just watched Joystiq stream the beginning of the game and oh maaan, hilarious stuff.

Just to troll. Trolls gonna troll.

I actually finished the game, I really hope they plan on more.
lol that's cute. If someone doesn't like what you like or have the same opinion on something as yourself then they're a troll. All I said was I thought it was a lil boring in spots IMOpinion. Trolling would've been saying it's the worst piece of software since the ET game.

I haven't been able to keep up with current seasons but am a fan. I never really played RPG's though

Got this for a day at Redbox and so far so good. Have not done too many quests just pretty much ended up walking around town interacting with people and the town. Lots of cool stuff to see and do if you are a fan of the show. So many references in the game.

Definitely will pick this up then

lol that's cute. If someone doesn't like what you like or have the same opinion on something as yourself then they're a troll. All I said was I thought it was a lil boring in spots IMOpinion. Trolling would've been saying it's the worst piece of software since the ET game.
I think the troll part was in reference to you giving no supporting statements to your claim of it being "boring". You basically walked in, shit on the game, and walked out. Trolls are generally lazy. So, when you can't be bothered to elaborate on which things about the game you didn't enjoy, you kinda just come off as a hater.

In your three brief sentences, this is all you contributed to the thread:

1. You spent 24 hours with the game (assuming you played it non-stop...doubt it)

2. You think it's boring.

3. You think its price will plummet.

What type of reaction were you expecting?

Yes yes and yes MSU. I could not stop laughing dude. It was just so, classic.

To Nate, thank you for elaborating.

i've seen Pewdiepie play SP:Stick of truth on youtube but i do not think the game will hold my attention for so long that i can justify its high price (for a singleplayer game)

Or am i wrong?

i've seen Pewdiepie play SP:Stick of truth on youtube but i do not think the game will hold my attention for so long that i can justify its high price (for a singleplayer game)

Or am i wrong?
I would really say it depends how big of a fan of the show you are. If you know the reference material...the jokes are endless. I entertained myself for a good 5-10 minutes just hitting Cartman with my weapon and hearing his comebacks. On a general scale of "games", I think it's well-made and a good game. But personally, anything being worth $60 that you're not a huge fan of is a tough sell.

Also, I agree with MSU...the whole Underpants Gnomes sequence was incredible. I couldn't decide if I wanted to keep playing or go rub one out. Any game that can do that is priceless, lol. :lol:

So did anyone else think that the CE would be as sought out as it is now? They seem to be fetching over 100 fairly easy with PS3 having a higher ending price.

So did anyone else think that the CE would be as sought out as it is now? They seem to be fetching over 100 fairly easy with PS3 having a higher ending price.
I think people were just really down on the game because of all the delays. Everyone kind of just wrote it off and expected it to be shit. The Cartman figure is really nice, and is twice the size of the normal Kid Robot figures you can buy. So, I'm sure that helps the value of the CE. The map isn't really anything to write home about...but as a complete set, if you can believe that the game is worth retail, $20 more for the CE was a great deal.

As an aside, I finally finished the game last night. I missed a crap ton of achievements, but I played the game with zero focus on them. I really just wanted to enjoy the story. I'm sure I'll do another playthrough and try to get some of the fun achievements. Somehow, I missed a homeless camp too...and I got the one in the spaceship, so I'm a little confused which one I could have missed. I guess I could look up a guide.

This was on Amazon's DOTD recently but I think 45 is still a bit too high for me with this game. Subtract another 10 from that deal and I'll be all over it.

im a huge south park fan and just finished the game today. i loved every minute of it. all the cameos, jokes, items etc. its so fun being in the world of south park with all new material. so many moments i loved.

im a huge south park fan and just finished the game today. i loved every minute of it. all the cameos, jokes, items etc. its so fun being in the world of south park with all new material. so many moments i loved.
Same here. I didn't want it to end. Nothing I love more than a game that makes me laugh, and this one is hilarious beginning to end. I hope it gets some DLC. And a sequel.

I just thought of something- I wonder what ever happened to that scene from the trailer they showed at E3 a couple years ago where they're all running away from a gigantic kid who comes exploding up from City Hall and throws a police car at them? I guess the story changed quite a bit over the course of development.

i agree. i dont say this often but i really hope this game has some DLC id gladly buy it. ive been reflecting and some of my favorite moments were.... when you open random doors
and see people naked or masturbating
going to
canada!
  the whole
abortion/ dead fetus angle
  the stupid
taco bell jokes
  and crawling
up mr slaves ass had to be the icing on the cake, the stuff you find in there!

i still have some more roaming around to do, kids to find, friends to make etc oh yeah and
CRAB PEOPLE!!!!

one thing i dont like though is it seems like once the game is over your fast travel goes away?

bread's done
Back