SP or Micro?

Kawnhr

CAGiversary!
My GBA SP+'s screen sort of died a while back, and unfortunately it's out of warranty so it'll cost about $60 to get it repaired. I haven't got around to mailing it to Nintendo because I'm wondering if I should just pick up a Micro. But I can't decide which to get, so I'm asking you guys!

The main reason I'm thinking about a Micro is the size. It's small, sleek and pretty looking with a nice clear screen. It would be perfect to whip out when waiting, play for five minutes and quietly pocket it again. It also doesn't look as nerdy in public.

The difficulty with multiplayer doesn't affect me because I rarely use it. But the lack of GB/C support is a bit unnerving. I don't play my GB/C games all that often, but I do have some great games that the GBA has failed to provide a replacement for (or the game is just awesome regardless of GBA equivalent) such as Wario Land II, Link's Awakening, Mega Man Xtreme 2 or Dragon Warrior Monsters 2. It may also be hard to find one at a cheap price.

As for the GBA SP+, its pros are the larger screen, better L/R buttons, GB/C support and GBA/GCN connectivity (Pac Man Versus!!). Also, another pro would be that I can get my F-Zero GP Legend cart fixed as well.

Cons are the size... sort of. It's still compact and small, but not small enough that you can carry it everywhere. Also, there's obviously the whole issue with waiting a few weeks for it to return.

micro.

The SP is square and cramps my hands. The L and R buttons are too small. The micro feels like a SNES controller with a nice bright LCD. I loved the SNES controller, therefore, to me, the micro is the most perfect Gameboy and portable ever created. I want to cry that it is not popular because of some 2 screen obese monstrosity. What will I replace it with when it dies, if it ever dies?

I love my DS, but micro is the greatest portable gaming system ever.

Just my opinion.

I have a micro too and I have to admit, it just feels great.
The screen is small but somehow manages to play classic 2D games with unbelievable energy. I think the only thing the SP has over the micro is the fact that it also play GBC games, so if you plan on playing some specific titles from the GBC library, or just really care about that extra library size, you should consider the SP, but if you are not going to be a stickler for specific titles and you think you will be plenty satisfied with the GBA library, I say the micro hands down.

Micro is smaller, sleeker, and has a headphone port. I also prefer the d-pad and buttons on it.

The Micro is cool (and I wish I had one...) but it is hard to recommend if you want the features of the SP+. For me, one of the main reasons I haven't gotten a Micro is because of the lack of GBA/GCN connectivity. And if I didn't have other options for playing GB/C it would make it even harder to choose the Micro. OTOH, you could probably pick up a used GBC for a pretty reasonable price. So probably the question is how important is GBA/GCN connectivity, and is it worth giving up for the benefits of a Micro?

micro feels and looks better but i love the sp's screen size, ability to fold up and not scratch the screen, and GB/C compatibility.

SP gets my vote!

[quote name='whataboutbob?']micro feels and looks better but i love the sp's screen size, ability to fold up and not scratch the screen, and GB/C compatibility.

SP gets my vote![/quote]

The micro faceplate acts a screen protector.

[quote name='b3b0p']The micro faceplate acts a screen protector.[/quote]

hmmmm....didnt know that, well that makes it pretty handy to put in your pocket then i guess. still though, w/ the smaller screen and no gb/c support it still loses by a hair to the sp

[quote name='naes']DSL is horrible at playing GBA games.[/quote]
In what way? It seems perfectly fine to me. I have an SP, and a Micro. And I prefer to use the DS Lite.

It pops out of the DS Lite slot and looks fugly. I'm on the verge of buying a GBA SP or Micro just so I can play GBA games.

I used to talk trash about the Micro, but it's a good piece of gear. The screen is fantastic and the buttons have a solid feel. It's small, but it's surprisingly comfortable to play, and even text-heavy games look brilliant on the thing. Now that the prices have tumbled, it's a good buy.

SP+ definitely. I had a micro at launch for a day. It is small and the screen is sharp...but the screen is just way too small. I can't help but feel its a step back from the SP. I'll take a little bit bigger of a system for the bigger screen any day. If the Micro had the screen size of the SP I would have kept it.

[quote name='yukine']DS Lite.[/QUOTE]

My brother has a DS Lite and I hate the damn thing. It just feels awkward in my hands.

And the DS Phat sucks for GBA games, so I imagine the DS Lite will too. I'm looking for a GBA.

Also, why is there no "view results" option on my poll :(

Normally, I'd advocate the Micro. However, I don't think it's that good if it's your *only* GBA. Especially in your case, where you need GBC support, and want to connect to the GCN. The SP makes sense in your case.

The cart sticking out, the bad controller layout, cramping of the hands because you have to play it awkwardly, the inferior d-pad...

I love the GBA SP d-pad.
[quote name='yukine']In what way? It seems perfectly fine to me. I have an SP, and a Micro. And I prefer to use the DS Lite.[/quote]

[quote name='naes']The cart sticking out, the bad controller layout, cramping of the hands because you have to play it awkwardly, the inferior d-pad...

I love the GBA SP d-pad.[/quote]
Eh, maybe you just have girly hands. :D

If the DS Lite is that much of a problem, then the SP+ > Micro. The bigger screen, and the compatibility with the Gamecube/GBC games makes it teh win.

bread's done
Back