Space Above & Beyond complete series $15 @ BB

I enjoyed this quite a bit when it showed up on Sci-Fi. May have to pick it up. Any word on special features?

[quote name='SDC']I enjoyed this quite a bit when it showed up on Sci-Fi. May have to pick it up. Any word on special features?[/QUOTE]

No extras outside of the series itself.

Yep, no extras I wish someone would make this into an animated series along the lines of classic 80's-90's cartoons.

Is this another FOX series that got cancelled at some inconvenient point with a major cliffhanger and/or large pieces of plot left unresolved? I refuse to get into any more of those, no matter how good they are, because it's so frustrating when you get to the end and everything just comes to an abrupt stop.

[quote name='arcane93']Is this another FOX series that got cancelled at some inconvenient point with a major cliffhanger and/or large pieces of plot left unresolved? I refuse to get into any more of those, no matter how good they are, because it's so frustrating when you get to the end and everything just comes to an abrupt stop.[/QUOTE]

Sort of yes and sort of no, they got warning the show was going to be canceled so they did wrap up one of the major ongoing plots. Show has probably one of my favorite endings of all time just because damn didn't see that one coming.

Be advised the video quality is crap, we're talking burned from VHS quality in glorious 4:3 most of the time, unless they have remastered it (which I doubt they have).

[quote name='HeadRusch']Be advised the video quality is crap, we're talking burned from VHS quality in glorious 4:3 most of the time, unless they have remastered it (which I doubt they have).[/QUOTE]

That's because the show was shot and framed in mind for 4:3. For what its worth the quality is fine as well. Its not reference quality but good enough.

The video quality is crap for an early 90's show, even by DVD standards they are bad transfers.

Everyone has their own set of criteria for 'what looks good' and I am usually more generous than most, but this series transfer to DVD is no better than a bootleg recorded from VHS. As long as you are ok with that, and you kind of have to be if you want to see the show, then you'll be fine.

They didn't do a remaster or cleanup, these were very hastily produced for the market, is all I am saying :)

I own it.

This isn't a show Fox just threw out like they normally do, it deserved to get canceled.

The show has it's moments, but this group of space soldiers just randomly doing EVERY job there is it seems. The show should have been tighter and more thought out and it might have lived a longer life (but doubtful). The video is REALLY dark and hard to see at times, and the CGI is horrible.

However if you are a sci-fi fan you will get enough enjoyment out of it for $15, unless you are looking for a blu-ray release. ;)

And I haven't watched the ending in forever, but they had hoped for a second season, but knew that was unlikely. So the finale is an ending, a shocking ending, but the show obviously didn't wrap up everything, and they didn't need to.

I don't recall the CGI being all that bad for the time it was created, it was a prime-time series on the "then still relatively new" FOX network.....I just remember a lot of "damn, here we are crashed and stranded on this planet and there are Chigs around!" plotlines... :D

I liked the show alot and them ending had closure but definitely left me wanting more. Someone pm'd me comparing this to starship troopers. This was way better than starship troopers, the blood, guts & gore was better but I really came to like the quirks of the "wild cards".

Well, it wasn't "early 90s" it was 95-96, and X-Files preceded it (same producers, etc), so Fox was not really new then either.

You're right. It was mid 90's, for some reason I thought it was 92/93......but Fox was still an upstart network, I mean back then USA NETWORK was the same as Fox, they weren't like NBC/ABC/CBS...

bread's done
Back