Space Siege, $5.10 on STEAM

BWS1982

CAGiversary!
STEAM has Space Siege on sale, normally $14.99, for $5.10, roughly two-thirds off. It's basically a hack n slash in space, by Dungeon Siege creator Chris Taylor. I've not played the game but am aware of its accounted mediocrity, I like the genre so it's been on my "eh, maybe" radar since release. It has ratings, however, that often fall in that "if you're a fan of the genre, it could be great fun"...So, here...At about $5 it could be worth a risk, IDK.

I'm not sure how long the sale will last, just cropped up when I was checking out any possible sales for Labor Day besides the COH sale (bought that, great deal).

Did a search here, no results for this sale.

Meta page: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/space-siege/critic-reviews

STEAM web page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/10530/

Hm, if only there was a demo through Steam to try it out. For only $5 if I liked the demo enough I would pounce. Oh well, I have far too many games and not enough time anyways. Thanks though, for the heads up OP.

[quote name='BrolyB593']Hm, if only there was a demo through Steam to try it out. For only $5 if I liked the demo enough I would pounce. Oh well, I have far too many games and not enough time anyways. Thanks though, for the heads up OP.[/QUOTE]

A demo exists, Steam just doesn't offer it.

Yeah, I just found a demo at Gamespot, but in doing so I found out that there is no real loot system, which is enough to not even make me want to DL the demo.

[quote name='BrolyB593']Yeah, I just found a demo at Gamespot, but in doing so I found out that there is no real loot system, which is enough to not even make me want to DL the demo.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, this killed it for me too. Bought it on impulse from Target for $12.48 a year or so ago, came home, tried the demo then returned it the next day.

Bought it for like $12 from GoGamer.com a few years back, and definitely regret it. Neat concept, but it's so ridiculously linear that you might as well be watching a bad sc-fli flick and be holding a controller.

Agreed with above posts. This game isn't worth it for any price. It could have been good, but the execution completely failed, and nothing was done after release to support it. Avoid.

Some of the complaints I've read were about bad camera implementation, too. Is that one of the 'no dice' issues as well? I haven't bitten on this as of now.

So, if this came out, say, about 8 years ago, would it have rated better, due to the linearity being more of a norm? Or is it that the dry story (another complaint) and whatnot would still have turned off critics and gamers?

[quote name='BWS1982']Some of the complaints I've read were about bad camera implementation, too. Is that one of the 'no dice' issues as well? I haven't bitten on this as of now.

So, if this came out, say, about 8 years ago, would it have rated better, due to the linearity being more of a norm? Or is it that the dry story (another complaint) and whatnot would still have turned off critics and gamers?[/QUOTE]

I think the linearity is the game's biggest fault. Also, the gameplay leans more towards an action game, but requires a mouse/keyboard setup to play, so it's often difficult to keep up with the action without your fingers twisting into a pretzel.

To be honest, I had fun with the game for about an hour; but then the "rinse, repeat" cycle became painfully obvious, so I shelved the game for something better.

Thanks, I'll just do the demo (didn't even know if it was worth bothering for a demo) and judge if $5.10 is even worth piling onto the backlog.

Man... I was excited at first to hear that I missed a game made by Gas Powered Games. I love DS 1/2 and Supreme Commander. Sad to hear this one flopped... I thought, at first glance, that it was dungeon siege in space. Guess it's nothing like that. Oh well, I'll pass.

Yeah, I bought this game for 6 bucks from Big Lots. It's a nice game and very interesting elements but it tends to wear on a bit. It plays on the fact that you are alone on this ship and must defeat the alien presence but it get boring. If this had some co-op or something, I would recommend it. But just play Alien Swarm and save your 5 bucks for something else.

[quote name='maguszxz']Yeah, I bought this game for 6 bucks from Big Lots. It's a nice game and very interesting elements but it tends to wear on a bit. It plays on the fact that you are alone on this ship and must defeat the alien presence but it get boring. If this had some co-op or something, I would recommend it. But just play Alien Swarm and save your 5 bucks for something else.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't it actually have online co-op? Now I'm not saying buy it. I looked at this yesterday and decided it wasn't a deal given all the game's horrible flaws, even at $5. But I was reading that people bought this game for the co-op over Shadowgrounds which has superior play but without the co-op.

bread's done
Back