Spare XBOX DVD Drive- Where to buy and brand?

xx2541

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Ho folks,

Where can I find a good deal on a spare XBOX DVD Drive? Any reliable online retailers? It seems like a good time to have an extra one lying around- just in case.

Also, what is a good brand to buy? Is it hard to install? I'm a bit of a noob at this and don't want to be at the mercy of some "tech" if and when my XBOX drive fails.

Thanks! :)

The model you want is the 'Samsung 616T' You can get em on ebay, or try the store spsummers mentioned.

*edit* that drive wont work in an xbox right out the box, it needs to be flashed and modded a bit. But you can buy them with that stuff already done. Thats what I did. I got one pre-flashed ready to install and it really was plug n play.

Drives for the original Xbox are pretty common on eBay as well so you might find a good deal (go for a samsung with the original firmware for optimum compatability).

Man, I have TONS of spare xbox parts. Lemme look through 'em and test the stuff out and I will sell you a drive dirt cheap and guaranteed to work. I know I have a couple of Phillips drives that read just about everything and might even have some of the over hyped Samsung 605's also.

I'm also looking for a new drive. I picked up a broken xbox to fix, mod, and install xbmc on. I cleaned the lens in the thomson drive and it didn't give me a disk read error like it had before, but it just kept on spinning the disc at high speed. I might try and clean it again. Do you guys think I should replace the laser in my thomson drive or should I look for a new drive? I've been trying to find another drive for under $30.

When I needed a new drive I just went Ebay and it was cheaper then llamma.com but llama's offers dud protection.

As to installing it, it is extremely easy, especially if you know how to work on PC's.

PS: Don't buy the hitachi drive, it broke on me really quickly get a Samsung or Philips instead.

I've been trying to find someone on the boards who'd trade for one of these drives. I can't really spend the $40 to $50 for a Samsung or Philips drive off of ebay.

bread's done
Back