speakers or headphones?

billyweed

CAGiversary!
What do you usually use when you are gaming, speakers or headphones? Why? What kind or model do you use? I use headphones at night and speakers during the day - cuz my roomates don't need to hear it at night. For headphones I have this pair from OTTO: http://www.hearotto.com/Products_OT6.aspx I like them cuz they're comfy and they sound good. For speakers I have an old pair of JBL 4311B's - studio monitors that are oldies but goodies. I like headphones the best because I hear a lot of background that way.

360 and box gaming I use speakers unless i'm online or at a LAN, for PC I always use headphones

I use headphones mostly - especially at night when the kids are sleeping. I have ICEMAT Siberia and Steel Sound 5H headphones - using the 5H right now. My speakers are Dell branded Altec Lansing ADA995 5.1 surround sound speakers - I wished I didnt spend the money on them because I use the headphones so much. Also, with FPS games I find the headphone to be better because you can hear better and in which direction.

I second what cheapfrag said about FPS, once I pop on my Audio 90s I'm a killing machine in online FPS games.

I only use speakers for gaming on the rare occasions that I play during the day, usually I play at night when my roommate is sleeping. Can't wait til June 1st when my new lease begins and I have a single room :) :)

[quote name='cheapfrag']I use headphones mostly - especially at night when the kids are sleeping. I have ICEMAT Siberia and Steel Sound 5H headphones - using the 5H right now. My speakers are Dell branded Altec Lansing ADA995 5.1 surround sound speakers - I wished I didnt spend the money on them because I use the headphones so much. Also, with FPS games I find the headphone to be better because you can hear better and in which direction.[/quote]

Those speakers look good. I'm sort of in the market for new speakers (the ones I have are excellent, but old, and they are too big for the space they're in). I'm happy with my headphones though, they're brand new. I might get another set from Otto, they have a stereo surround pair and I think that would be cool for gaming (positional audio, whee!). I was playing a shooter today and realized I like speakers better for that, don't like gunshots so close to my ears, plus the feel of them in my body is fun. Guess it depends on taste.

I used to think playing with headphones was stupid... but times have changed.

You can buy a really good pair of headphones for pretty cheap, where as to get a good sounding set of speakers it will cost some dollars. You will also have other things to consider: with a multiple speaker set up you'll want to have 5 or 7 speakers all around your computer desk - I dont have the room. You'll also be pretty loud, if there is anyone else living with you or you're in an apartment. Or if you game late!

With headphones, I was amazed how much more immersive it was. I could hear a lot of things I didn't notice before. I could crank it up without worrying about waking anyone else up or annoying anybody. I also found a super comfortable pair via user reviews at Newegg. A lot of headphones hurt my head.

There are pros and cons to both, I guess its really just what suits you.

bread's done
Back