Spectral Souls yay or nay?

LostRoad

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I haven't read much about this game, though I am thinking of picking it up in the next few days. As anyone already gotten it, if so any thoughts on the game?

The game was supposed to have some of the worst loading times and slowdown on the PSP. It wasn't fixed for the US version either.

From what I've heard the battle system itself isn't half bad but the incessant load times necessary to do the most menial of things (wait to load each line of text in story sequences, wait to load each and every attack, load, load, and more load) absolutely kills it. I was half tempted to get it myself, but if I waste more time with loads than I do actually playing, I'd have to be an idiot to buy it.

Ah any idea how bad these load times are? Seems I will just wait for a few price drops. Kinda sucks, I wanted something new for the psp.

I bought it the day it came out, and i would say it depends on how big of a turn based strat fan you are. I would give it a nay, but if you want to buy a slightly used copy PM me. :D

EGM gave this game a 4.5, 2.5, 3.0 if anyone cares.

The consensus seems to be that this would've been much much better if it was just released on the PS2.

Well, I'm thinking of buying the game myself. From most any impression I heard (from those who played it), said the game is good; however, the loading times are pretty much the entire problem with the game. They say if you don't mind waiting (which I don't), you may like the game. I heard the strategy is pretty good. I heard of a few who even liked the game more than FFTA.

The problem is I hear, Idea Factory hasn't learned how to program for the PSP, since all their games have had long load times (part of the reason they get bad reviews).

I'm probably going to get the game, along with picking up Generation of Chaos due to the price drop. Hoping to pick up Blade Dancer soon. The reason I'm going to go ahead and pick up those games, is just about any NIS fan I've talked to (online and offline) said they really liked GoC and BD, so I'm starting to feel I should given them a try. They'll probably never get to the $20 mark (since they are somewhat limited), but I might be able to buy all for as low as $30. I'm going to bite the bullet, and if I am disappointed, I learned a leason (the truth is, I've only disliked around 10% of JRPGs I've played which were not action RPGs).

I actually got this game about a month back and have been playing it constantly.

The "whoa" effect of the load times lasted all of a half-hour, and then - as you progress it becomes less and less of a bother, so you can realize it as the near-perfect SRPG it is. Load times are hardly enough of a killer to make a game this great something you avoid. Only thing that really bothers me about it is that it has no voice acting... I know it's not all that big a deal, but after Generation of Chaos, I was kinda expecting it'd have some voice acting.

Definite Yay from me.

If the loading times are as bad as we've heard then I would definitely avoid it. That much waiting in between everything would kill a games fun factor no matter how good it is.

Hopefully they fix this issue for Disgaea when they port it.

[quote name='paddlefoot']If the loading times are as bad as we've heard then I would definitely avoid it. That much waiting in between everything would kill a games fun factor no matter how good it is.

Hopefully they fix this issue for Disgaea when they port it.[/QUOTE]Disgaea is developed by NIS, while Spectral Souls was Idea Factory (who can't seem to utilize the PSP hardware at all). NIS America only publishes them.

IMO, load times do NOT kill funfactor. I just bought Generation of Chaos and didn't find it as bad as what people say. I'm buying Spectral Souls and Blade Dancer ASAP.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Disgaea is developed by NIS, while Spectral Souls was Idea Factory (who can't seem to utilize the PSP hardware at all). NIS America only publishes them.

IMO, load times do NOT kill funfactor. I just bought Generation of Chaos and didn't find it as bad as what people say. I'm buying Spectral Souls and Blade Dancer ASAP.[/quote]

Hardcore gamer FTW!

Those(aside from Ys and Legend of Heroes) actually happen to be three of my favorite PSP RPGs.

[quote name='TLR']Hardcore gamer FTW!

Those(aside from Ys and Legend of Heroes) actually happen to be three of my favorite PSP RPGs.[/QUOTE]Did you ever play Legend of the Heroes II, since I've considered that (already own the first)?

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Did you ever play Legend of the Heroes II, since I've considered that (already own the first)?[/quote]

Yep, just recently beat that one. I was kinda dissapointed in LoH2, not because it was a bad game, but because it felt like it was, in essence, a fully-developed Adventure game with a RPG loosely attached.

If you happen to be a fan of adventure games though, then Legend of Heroes II is amazing. It's got some really well-developed characters compared to the first(which says a lot, considering that Tear of Vermillion had some very well developed characters) and some pretty exciting scenarios... but it just feels like it would have been so better if they either made enough action to make the RPG feeling complete, or just let it be an adventure game like it wants to.

I only didn't like it because I'm not a *pure* RPG fanatic(meaning that unless the RPG is loaded to the brim with boss fights and action, I'll get bored with it because I like games like Megaman X4, X5 more). If you've ever played Phantasy Star 1-3 and got through them, the fact that you can count the number of boss fights in this game on one hand probably won't bother you as much as it did to me.

A lot of people I know like the second better than the first for it's character development(I don't blame them... even a month after completing it, I can still remember all of LoH2's characters offhand, as well as a lot of their personality traits) but I like the traditional style of "Run around fighting big bosses so you can get the 4 elements and fight the ultimate dark dude." that the first LoH offered more.

bread's done
Back