Speculation is not over yet!

Lan_Zer0

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
http://gonintendo.com/?p=7577

3D VR? Laser Projection? Brain implants? Disco ball?

Discuss!

In all seriousness, a poster makes a reasonable guess at an included Wii Play with the system. Which would be fantastic and more than justify the $250 price. However, I'll keep my hopes low for the time being.

Real or not, Nintendo secrets are always fun.

Is it sad that I was sort of expecting something like this?

Doubt it's anything huge, but something is always better than nothing.

Since the topic is still new, let's debunk some shit off the bat:

1. Microphone in Wiimote.

No. If they are doing to need a mic, they'll make a headset, and make it compatible with both the DS and the Wii, and possibly future iterations of portable and console systems. In fact, one was being made at some point, but I don't know what happened to it.

2. Wacky neato thing like VR/projection.

Absolutely not. There's nothing that tells us this is possible at this moment. We've had enough dissent from people whining about how they are going to knock over their Faberge eggs with their flabby arms, so I doubt we'll see something added to the Wii's interface beyond the controller.

3. Powerful as the 360/PS3.

Not possible. The machine is too small to provide sufficient cooling to pull this off.

4. DVD movie playback is included.

We all know how penny-pinching Nintendo is. Not happnin'.

5. Physics chip in the Wii.

See 3 and 4.

6. Mario Galaxy and/or some other wanted title is a launch title.

Don't set yourself up like that.

7. There's a Wii SP or such that will have DVD playback or something.

Wtf. Don't tell me that after I've locked in on a Wii. 'Cuz you know how big of a consumer whore I am, Nintendo, and you damn well know if I could have gotten a Q, I would have. So don't piss on my face by offering me something badass in light of the first thing I already f*cking bought.

You have to start thinking at this point about "what does Nintendo gain by keeping something secret at this point?" We're so late in the game that there is literally almost nothing that could be so awesome that either they don't want MS/Sony to steal it, OR they have an advantage by not telling consumers before launch. I can't think of many things that satisfy one or both of these criteria adequately. You could have some nice fancy tech in there no one knows about, but we'd need to see it now in order for it to make an impact.

For example, it can't be "the graphics are being held back," because there's no damn reason for that. Same with VR/headset/etc. You're trying to build hype now, and if we're beyond the point of no return (which we are), you gain almost nothing in hiding stuff.

At best - assuming this is true - it's going to be much less grandiose that people will speculate. So it's going to be a Wii Channel or Wii Play bundled or something with the online component. It could be something about DS Connectivity as well.

I personally don't even think this rumor is gonna happen.

Actually, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say this will simply be something to do with the Virtual Console. If you listen to the IGN podcasts (God, they're awful, but for some reason I listen anyway), Matt Cassamina has been dropping hints about a surprise VC console title that will be announced this week. Just based on how they're talking, I'm thinking it's going to be EarthBound or Kid Icarus...Probably the former.

But all of that other wild tequila bender induced shit sounds dandy too.

God as much as I hate to add to random speculation, I wonder why Nintendo hasnt mentioned the Wii Gun shell since E3.

But damn Wii Sports: Shooting, was a BLAST.

[quote name='iufoltzie']Boy, I thought the nunchuck had rumble when I played Wii Sports: Boxing, but I'll be damned if I can recall for certain.[/QUOTE]

This is one of those things that if it isn't true, could be made true pretty easily. Because the nunchuk is sold separately, Nintendo could just release one with rumble down the road. Then you get 'em comin' and goin', as they say.

[quote name='Tybee']This is one of those things that if it isn't true, could be made true pretty easily. Because the nunchuk is sold separately, Nintendo could just release one with rumble down the road. Then you get 'em comin' and goin', as they say.[/QUOTE]

True... But you run afoul of the rule that you cannot assume a user has anything that isnt already in the box, so companies rarely code for such after release add-ons.

I'm thinking the Gun shell and Ubisoft steering wheel could be an exception only because they dont really replace anything the Wiimote and Nunchuck dont already do.

At first I thought it would be stupid if Nintendo didn't include rumbling in the remote and/or nunchuck, but after I thought about it for awhile, it occured me that the vibrations could get in the way of the motion sensing. For example, in a few games, I've read that one of the "moves" you have to do with the remote/s is to shake it... a built in rumble feature might make the motion sensors think you're shaking it, when in fact you're getting kicked in the head.

[quote name='Strell']At best - assuming this is true - it's going to be much less grandiose that people will speculate. So it's going to be a Wii Channel or Wii Play bundled or something with the online component. It could be something about DS Connectivity as well.

I personally don't even think this rumor is gonna happen.[/QUOTE]

I know this is my third post, but Strell nails it here. Nothing else substantive comes after this comment.

It will be the least climatic revelation ever, that much is for sure. I'm thinking something like "100 free Wiipoints".

[quote name='zaxo']At first I thought it would be stupid if Nintendo didn't include rumbling in the remote and/or nunchuck, but after I thought about it for awhile, it occured me that the vibrations could get in the way of the motion sensing. For example, in a few games, I've read that one of the "moves" you have to do with the remote/s is to shake it... a built in rumble feature might make the motion sensors think you're shaking it, when in fact you're getting kicked in the head.[/quote]If that is the case, then when developers were coding their games and they found that the rumble (that they have to write code to cause) triggered any shaking actions they had (which they also have to write code to cause), then it wouldn't work and they'd take it out. So I wouldn't think that would be an issue.

[quote name='Strell']
1. Microphone in Wiimote.

No. If they are doing to need a mic, they'll make a headset, and make it compatible with both the DS and the Wii, and possibly future iterations of portable and console systems. In fact, one was being made at some point, but I don't know what happened to it. [/quote]
You mean the little headset for the ds lite? I got that and it's not that great. It's an eight dollar peripheral so I wasn't exactly expecting that much out of it.

I'm going to go ahead and guess that if there is something it's either the Opera browser being free confirmed by the horse's mouth or we're going to get a voucher for a free 'chuck or discounted remote. If I wanted to really stretch it I would say that there'll be a free VC game right up front.

I think it's that the wii will play lp's and vinyl and cassettes and 8 tracks. it'll be like the old ass tandy trs-80 and play games off of cassettes...TRS 80...rules all.

T. Foolery

Thy Dungeonman will have episodic content on the VC.

Also Peasant Quest.

But no Trogdor. No one is man enough for that.

Ahem... One final thing...

The Wii unit prop boxes at EB games show the Opera logo on the side of the box next to the other corporate marks like the Nintendo Seal of Quality.

This may mean nothing other than Opera negotiated those marks on all pacakaging rather than at boot of the web broswer, or perhaps the Wii uses the Opera rendering core with the Wii channels.

The Wii plays dreamcast games.

Starfox 2 on the Virtual Console.
Some unreleased 2D Zelda on the Virtual Console.
A new 2D Super Mario on the Virtual Console.

The Wii cooks breakfast (direct competetion to the Foreman Grill aka PS3).

The system will only cost $200.

The system comes with a Reggie action figure.

Grand Theft Auto Wii

The Wii will connect to your Imac.

New colors will be released.

Speculation is fun.

[quote name='jkam']
The system comes with a Reggie action figure.
[/QUOTE]

We can let it do battle with the Dwight Bobblehead.

Dwight doesn't stand a chance.

rumble in the nunchuck would be nice, but wii play included would be cool too...I think we'll just get 500 free wii points or something.

I want it to be a $200 price tag or Killer Instinct/Earthbound on the VC.

Or free wii points when you buy the system, or a few good VC games already bundled on the system.

The only big games I can think of that would make an impact at this point would be things like NiGHTS, Goldeneye, various Saturn games (Radiant Silvergun, Panzer Dragoon Saga), and a handful of general Sega system games, running the gamut from the SMS to the Dreamcast.

But I doubt the Wii is capable of emulating the DC, and I dunno how much impact that would make.

Now if we find out the mythical "It plays games from any system" by using the actual physical discs, that would be pretty damn amazing. But I am sure that won't happen. If it did, expect me to eat a random assortment of things that people say they will eat if they end up being wrong. I just can't imagine someone wanting the press old games.

Enough secrets, Ninty. :(

[quote name='tomfoolery']I think it's that the wii will play lp's and vinyl and cassettes and 8 tracks. it'll be like the old ass tandy trs-80 and play games off of cassettes...TRS 80...rules all.[/QUOTE]

You, sir, are buggin'. I have three characters for you:

2XL

And no, that's not a shirt size.

I honestly don't think there are any more secrets left for the Wii.. nothing major anyway. Maybe a secret, exclusive game or some unique accessory but that's it.

[quote name='Strell']The only big games I can think of that would make an impact at this point would be things like NiGHTS, Goldeneye, various Saturn games (Radiant Silvergun, Panzer Dragoon Saga), and a handful of general Sega system games, running the gamut from the SMS to the Dreamcast.

But I doubt the Wii is capable of emulating the DC, and I dunno how much impact that would make.

Now if we find out the mythical "It plays games from any system" by using the actual physical discs, that would be pretty damn amazing. But I am sure that won't happen. If it did, expect me to eat a random assortment of things that people say they will eat if they end up being wrong. I just can't imagine someone wanting the press old games.

Enough secrets, Ninty. :([/QUOTE]

Actually, in the IGN blogs and podcasts, the hinted-at VC game that is supposed to be such a shocker is supposedly a Sega game. So you could be close to finding the hole here.

How about they shock the world and get Sega Saturn Support and release Panzer Dragoon Saga on the Virtual Console, with a 2 GB SD card with a Panzer Dragoon logo on it?

All kidding aside, it'll more than likely be a surprise VC game for launch.

I wouldn't mind a shotgun launch though.

[quote name='tomfoolery']I think it's that the wii will play lp's and vinyl and cassettes and 8 tracks. it'll be like the old ass tandy trs-80 and play games off of cassettes...TRS 80...rules all.

T. Foolery[/QUOTE]

no reel-to-reel? wtf nintendo, I thought this thing was FULLY backwards compatible.

In an article on joystiq, they mention sega is moving devs from ps3 to wii. Maybe sega will go wii-exclusive?

A month or so back they mentioned they had some secret games they were going to announce and they never did. This is likely it. Kid Icarus maybe?

I'm closing my eyes and wishing for a second controller in the box.

[quote name='scottman']In an article on joystiq, they mention sega is moving devs from ps3 to wii. Maybe sega will go wii-exclusive?[/quote]
Sega has several titles in development for the PS3 and 360, why would they go Wii-exclusive?

My guess is that additional secrets are most likely new titles announced with more fanfare. This includes announcing Wii Play for N. America.

If it is announced that the Wii can playback DC games, my head will freaking EXPLODE. This is a very cruel rumor given both its promise and deceit. I cannot imagine the lawyering necessary to make such a scenario possible. But my god, if it were only true.

My guess--it's either Rare-published games on the VC

OR

"Nights" is being ported for a VC title with full Wiimote control--Sega has been quoted as saying that they're about to announce a Wii title that "everyone" has been waiting for.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Sega has several titles in development for the PS3 and 360, why would they go Wii-exclusive?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it wouldn't make sense the more I think about it, unless there is some internal cozying up going on. The line that they are moving devs off PS3 to Wii got me thinking though. But probably they just realized no one will have a PS3 until next year, so they could afford to put off PS3 development.

Smell-o-vision. The reason the base is angled is so it sprays upwards.

I can't reveal my source (because he doesn't exist) but let's just say that it's going to be huge!

bread's done
Back