NamPaehc

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
Offical Site

GameSpot,"First Look"

Trailers and Interview

932030_20070216_screen001.jpg

God. This is the only game that makes me want a PS3. Spider-Man 2 was incredible, and it was a deeply flawed game. I can't imagine how much better Spider-Man 3 is going to be.

Hmmm. Sony owns Spider-man and yet they let them release it on 360, interesting...
Anywho, great movie and the games have been solid from what I have read, however, no way will I get this over Lair.

i agree it doesn't really look next-gen-ish but then I also though spiderman2 was an awesome game. More mile-high piledrivers here I come!

I'm not sure, but even though these are in the PS3 section, I think they are only 360 screens. The game will run in 720P on both systems though.

Also game rights and movie rights aren't aways the same thing. Why I think we see it coming out on multiple systems.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']Hmmm. Sony owns Spider-man and yet they let them release it on 360, interesting...
Anywho, great movie and the games have been solid from what I have read, however, no way will I get this over Lair.[/QUOTE]

Sony doesn't own spider-man. Marvel owns spider-man. Having the movie rights doesn't give you free reign over everything spider-man related.

Looks less PS3-ish. While Spiderman 3 is going to be cool, it's not going to be revolutionary. I wouldn't make a big desl out of it.

[quote name='pinoy530']Sony doesn't own spider-man. Marvel owns spider-man. Having the movie rights doesn't give you free reign over everything spider-man related.[/quote]

Wouldn't it if the story is the same?

I find it very funny how people turn their noses up at screenshots. The only real way to judge a game is to see it running in person, and on a TV screen.

[quote name='NamPaehc']I find it very funny how people turn their noses up at screenshots. The only real way to judge a game is to see it running in person, and on a TV screen.[/quote]

Especially since games usually look worse running than in screen shots

[quote name='Rozz']Especially since games usually look worse running than in screen shots[/quote]

Right. Why I like to print off a bunch of screens and pretend to play them as a flip book. I mean, the screenshots of Gears of War look SO much better then the actual game. Plus with the flip book it is totally portable, but the ink is so costly. Though still cheaper then buying a PS3 lol!:dunce:

[quote name='Puzznic']I want next gen graphics but I want to use a Wiimote for web slinging.[/quote]

Now that I imagine that, that could either be extremely fun, or extremely difficult...

[quote name='NamPaehc']Right. Why I like to print off a bunch of screens and pretend to play them as a flip book. I mean, the screenshots of Gears of War look SO much better then the actual game. Plus with the flip book it is totally portable, but the ink is so costly. Though still cheaper then buying a PS3 lol!:dunce:[/quote]

Wow, you're, not too bright.

Ever hear of pre-rendered images? Cinematic screens told to be "Real gameplay"?

When early screens like this are released they never look as good as this. Maybe theres one exception, like Gears of War, but other than that there's... nothing. :dunce: Go sit in the corner now.

[quote name='Rozz']Wow, you're, not too bright.

Ever hear of pre-rendered images? Cinematic screens told to be "Real gameplay"?

When early screens like this are released they never look as good as this. Maybe theres one exception, like Gears of War, but other than that there's... nothing. :dunce: Go sit in the corner now.[/quote]

Sure I've heard of them, but there aren't any anywhere within this thread. ;) Everything, including the videos and screens, were taking from actual gameplay footage from the interviews mentioned on the site.

Exclusive PS3 Spider-man 3.

"Scheduled for a simultaneous release with the regular version of Spider-Man 3 in early May, Spider-Man 3 Collector's Edition will add a number of bonus features not available on other platforms. Webisodes from the Spidey 3 movie, an exclusive interview with producer Avi Arad, and behind the scenes talks with Tobey Maguire, Topher Grace, Thomas Haden Church, James Franco, JK Simmons, and Bruce Campbell are also included. Players will even be able to access special Spider-Man 3 trailers and a couple of other undisclosed goodies.

No true believers, the best and most interesting addition to the PS3 Collector's Edition is the ability to play as a completely different character, the "New Goblin." Using a unique locomotion system that's entirely controllable with the Sixaxis gamepad, the New Goblin will be able to zip through the city streets and between skyscrapers and other buildings at super-high speeds"

spider-man-3-collectors-edition-20070222033323005-000.jpg

New Company Line.

"Based on Sony Pictures Entertainment's Columbia Pictures' upcoming feature film, Spider-Man 3 allows players to experience the actions of heroic red-suited Spider-Man and, for the first time ever, his darker, more mysterious black-suited persona. Set in a larger, dynamic, free-roaming New York City, the game gives players the freedom to choose their own gameplay experience through multiple movie-based and original storylines, fully integrated city missions and performance rewards including improved speed, combat maneuvers and agility. In Spider-Man 3, players draw upon Spider-Man's completely revamped combat abilities as they protect the city and defeat nemeses using expanded aerial fighting, finishing moves and dynamic webbing during missions and epic boss battles.
Features
  • Welcome to the dark side – For the first time ever, control the legendary black suit, which magnifies Spider-Man's strength, agility and durability. Punish your enemies with explosive new attacks and incredible upgrades, including fearsome room-clearers. All this power comes with a price, though, as players will find the black suit harder and harder to control. Will you be strong enough to make a heroic choice before your quest for vengeance turns the city against you?
  • Let freedom ring – Go anywhere at any time in a larger, dynamic, free-roaming New York City and get involved in whatever you want, whenever you want. Players decide how to proceed through the game and set their own goals. Should Spider-Man follow a plot twist, switch to an alternate storyline, fight off crime waves that threaten the city or explore vast interior and underground locations? You decide.
  • The city is your playground – From towering skyscrapers to the vast new subterranean sewers and subways Spider-Man must patrol all of New York. Three criminal gangs and variety of Super Villains will be competing for your attention, taking hostages, stealing cars, harassing citizens, and creating havoc. Will you be able to save everyone?
  • Don't let the city go to the dogs – Three vicious gangs have laid claim to the boroughs of New York and must be taken down. As Spider-Man brings these criminals to justice, the crime rate will drop in that section of town and city life will return to normal; if he doesn't, the streets will turn to chaos. These super thugs won't go down without a fight though. Their advanced AI will surround Spider-Man, grapple him, call in reinforcements, and do everything they can to retake their territory.
  • Everybody was kung-fu fighting – Redesigned from the ground up, the all-new combat system empowers players to perform suit-specific attacks and combo chains to defeat their enemies and complete challenges and missions. New animations, combos, and finishers make punch, kick, and web attacks more effective than ever while executing ground and air maneuvers.
  • Super Villains galore – Experience multi-stage, dynamic boss battles against the headlining villains from the movie as well as a host of legendary comic book foes who all take advantage of their environments, their minions, and the large-scale destruction that their superpowers cause in trying to defeat Spider-Man.
  • Go, go gadget – In addition to faster web-swinging, certain events and environments open up additional Spider-powers for you to control. Using Spider-Man's web abilities, he can catch falling objects including people and debris, fix hazards like broken train rails, barricade doors, and even slingshot from the tops of buildings for increased speed and huge air.
  • Spider-Man is growing up – As players master Spider-Man's powers through natural progression and completion of missions and challenges, Spider-Man gains ability enhancements including improved web moves, swing skills, and amazing melee combos."

Exclusive PS3 CE content details and preview.

"In addition to the levels shown, reps on hand filled us in on exclusive content for the PS3 collector's edition of the game, which will include an exclusive level and commentary from Bruce Campbell. The new level will put you in control of the New Goblin via the Sixaxis controller as he flies on his glider. The Campbell commentary will offer some behind-the-scenes insight on the game."

I plan on buying the 360 version. I'm not sure if I'm going to get it before or after I see the movie. I might wait for a used version.

Taken from SM forums:

"All right, this is what you, and me, wanted everyone. A REAL analysis of how this game plays, not some sparse comments. So, here we go.

I've spent exactly 2 hours swinging around the city. I didn't do any missions or anything, I just focused on studying the way Spidey moves now. As you may have heard, no, there is no dual webslinging. At least not yet, anyway. I hear it's an unlockable though. Considering that I'm a SM2 vet, I was extremely interested in using dual webs. That said, I don't even miss it! The swinging is EXTREMELY satisfying, and even the most jaded of us out there will definitely love it. It has a lot to do with the animations they've added. There's simply a ton of 'em, so many that, even though you see them over and over, they never seem repetitive. Every time you leap off a webline, depending on your speed, direction, height, and distance from other obstacles, there'll be a different animation accompanying it.

Which brings me to leaping off of webs. You have two options, release the swing button, or jump off of the line. Each one has their own animations, and both have their uses. Releasing the line enables smooth transitions to another line and speeds you up, whereas leaping from the line makes changing direction easier and gives you major airtime. And I do mean MAJOR airtime! No joke, you can get some serious air in this game folks, and it lets you plot out your next swing, or get over the edge of a building that much easier.

Now, controlling the actual swing. The amount of control you have in this game during your swing is unbelievable. Rest assured, the physics from SM2 remain intact, but now they've given so much control to the player, it mind-boggling. The directional controls dictate the angle of the swing. I mean, from a standstill, you can take off into the air at some extreme angles. It really makes a big difference in making the swinging that much more dramatic. One other thing of note is firing off the webs. Depending on Spidey's orientation in the air, he'll realistically twist and fire off the webline in the direction you press. It's so beautiful to be in the midst of some acrobatic maneuver and watch as Spidey twists out of it and shoots off his web. Amazing. Also, running on walls while holding a webline will be your new 'thing-to-do', I promise. He even has different animations for THAT, depending on whether or not you're attached to the building you're running on, or latched onto another adjacent building. Gorgeous.

The Web-Zip. The WZ, (for short) is now more efficient. It's quicker, faster, and it sends Spidey spiraling feet first toward whatever you WZ'd to. It's performed by tapping the swing button, which makes accessing it even easier.

Physics. As I stated before, the SM2 physics are in, you just have more control over it now. You can swing laterally, and you can still do loop-de-loops. It's even easier now. If you continue to hold the sprint button as you swing upwards, Spidey will kick his legs up and over his head and continue on, looping over the anchor point. From there, you can swing back down or leap off into your many acrobatic maneuvers.

About those acrobatics. Your options are many now. Like I said, there context sensitive, the automatic ones he does from a webline, or leaping from the ground (more on that later). BUT, you also have other acrobatics you can initiate at any time. Tap the sprint button twice in mid-air and you switch to 'acrobatic' mode, where you can use the crawl, jump, punch and kick buttons to engage all sorts of maneuvers! It also seems (not confirmed) that you can combine those buttons for even more acrobatics! I've seen Spidey do some moves on accident that I don't know how to recreate. All in all, swinging and leaping through the air is a beautiful thing, a beautiful thing indeed!

Now, on to leaping. As you've all heard before, charge jumps AND double jumps are in. I try not to double jump, since it kinda takes you out of the moment, and looks completely ludicrous, just like USM. But, sometimes, SOMETIMES, it is effective at giving you extra distance. I just wish you could turn it off. As far as leaping from the ground, Spidey has many animations for dives and leaps, completely different from the swinging ones, depending on whether you tap or charge your jump, how high you are, or if you just walk off an edge. Also, his landings are so beautiful now. Utterly graceful, and there are many of them. And, if you fall too far? Spidey smashes into the ground face first, complete with smoke from the impact. It's sudden, and brutal!

Wall maneuvers. The wall slide is back but, YOU CAN"T LEAP OUT OF IT!!! This was my biggest gripe, and I just hope that it's an unlockable but, sliding along the wall and not being able to jump off is just too big of a mistake. Wall running is an unlockable, and I haven't unlocked it yet, but, as I said before, wall running with a webline is gorgeous and beautifully implemented. Crawling on the wall is improved. He now crawls on the tips of his fingers like the movie (YAY!), and leaping along a wall is more dramatic.

Which brings me to the camera. I don't really know what they did, but it's so much more dramatic now. I noticed Spidey doesn't stay in the center of the screen anymore, and if you're moving to fast, you can even escape the camera. But, whatever they did, the sense of movie-like swinging is at once disarming and completely convincing. The feeling of vertigo you get on top of buildings is stunning, and it renews the feeling you got when you first played SM2. Kudos to Treyarch for that.

Combat. I didn't do much fighting, but it seems more fluid and clean now. The number of moves is staggering, and the web can be implemented flawlessly. Coolest thing about it? You can web sling objects in the background!!!!!! YES!!! I fought some guys in a computer room of sorts, and as I slammed them around, they smashed up cubicles, desks and shelves, complete with true physics. As the debris piled up, I found you could latch on with your web and fling them this way and that, even spin them around like you saw black spidey do in that new trailer. Whipping objects like tables, chairs and pieces of debris was a totally new experience, and is, bar none, the coolest addition I've seen yet.

And there's so much more to see. I could go on forever, but for now, that is the scoop, ladies and gents. And I'm sure there's TONS of other things to discover in the game. And I didn't even TOUCH the black suit!!! I'm officially hyped, and you should be too. SM3 looks to exceed our expectations, and here is a tip of the hat to Treyarch for officially 'doing Spidey right'."

So is this coming out on Tuesday or the 4th? Because Gamestop lists the fourth, but that's kinda a weird day to release a game.

I think I might get the ps3 CE edition... I finally found a gamer's gift card at BB... so it'll be just 5 extra dollars...

[quote name='whoknows']So is this coming out on Tuesday or the 4th? Because Gamestop lists the fourth, but that's kinda a weird day to release a game.[/quote]

Every place says the 4th, comes out same day as the movie.

[quote name='captmurphy']This may be the first game where I wait until IGN releases a head-to-head to make a decision on what version to buy.[/QUOTE]

QFT

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']Every place says the 4th, comes out same day as the movie.[/QUOTE]
Lame...although I guess I could see why they would do that. I hope it's actually in stores on the 4th and that's not just the ship date.

I don't remember if I preordered the regular PS3 edition, or the CE, but I'm wondering if the CE really has anything exclusive to the game. I'll gladly spend $10 less knowing the Goblin is an unlockable.

[quote name='whoknows']Lame...although I guess I could see why they would do that. I hope it's actually in stores on the 4th and that's not just the ship date.[/QUOTE]
It's actually the 4th. My store is doing a midnight release for it.

Damn... since the ps3 IS using the spiderman font, as its logo, I would think that Spiderman the game... on ps3 would be the best version... Its a game Sony may use to push additional ps3s... and that's assuming that the game is good.

Its good to know some stores already have it. If I see it while I'm out I'll definitely grab it. Looks great from those videos.

bread's done
Back