Spider-Man: Web Of Shadows - Gen Discussion & Info

marvel seems to be trying to pull you carefully by a string...and it seems a little unintentional with different developers and all.

so the hype just jumps from each game: iron man, hulk, spider-man: web of shadows and i guess ultimate alliance 2.

[quote name='typeRJ']marvel seems to be trying to pull you carefully by a string...and it seems a little unintentional with different developers and all.

so the hype just jumps from each game: iron man, hulk, spider-man: web of shadows and i guess ultimate alliance 2.[/QUOTE]

Movie licensed games should never garner your hype in the first place, even if they are Marvel.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Movie licensed games should never garner your hype in the first place, even if they are Marvel.[/quote]

that's why i didn't say movies. sure you should go in with low expectations...

but to say never? the fact that a movie warrants a game is a good and bad idea. a lot of them are rushed just to meet the release of the movie. but hey there's one good game out of every 10 bad movie games. 1st Narnia game was a suprise and it was decent (dare i say good), and so were a few of the Lord of the Rings games. you just never know what will be good.

i mean big name developers and proven mechanics are what should be the root of all the hype. everyone is hoping hulk is like Ultimate Destruction. who cares if the movie bombs...as long as the game is good and it has your favorite comic hero, then why not?

[quote name='typeRJ']that's why i didn't say movies. sure you should go in with low expectations...

but to say never? the fact that a movie warrants a game is a good and bad idea. a lot of them are rushed just to meet the release of the movie. but hey there's one good game out of every 10 bad movie games. 1st Narnia game was a suprise and it was decent (dare i say good), and so were a few of the Lord of the Rings games. you just never know what will be good.

i mean big name developers and proven mechanics are what should be the root of all the hype. everyone is hoping hulk is like Ultimate Destruction. who cares if the movie bombs...as long as the game is good and it has your favorite comic hero, then why not?[/QUOTE]

1 in 10 movie licensed games is not a good ratio. And given the history of Marvel movie games specifically (outside of maybe Spiderman 2), they don't deserve your hype.

Though I know that they'll never be able to get the fighting right but I really wish at least one Spiderman game would get rid of the tractor beam effect that you get when fighting in the air. I know that the games have to do that so the game isn't frustrating but fuck is it cheesy

Vote for the cover art:
webshadowzchoose.jpg

http://www.seizecontrol.com/us/?loc=us

I think that they're both pretty bad, but I picked the one on the right.

As a comic fan I am glad they finally are giving spidey a decent fighting mechanic. He shouldn't just be on the street bashing guys in the face.

Game looks great day 1 for me if it shapes up. As far as the judging I think I voted for the one on the right but im really tryin to figure out what wolverine has to do with everything.

[quote name='Mrcapcom']Game looks great day 1 for me if it shapes up. As far as the judging I think I voted for the one on the right but im really tryin to figure out what wolverine has to do with everything.[/quote]

Throughout the game you recruit Marvel heroes to aid you in the fight.

Haven't really dug a Superhero game that wasn't fighting or action-RPG in awhile, but that video looks great. Hopefully it shapes up and plays as good as it looks.

Video looks great so far if the fighting system is super comboie and the story is fairly long im going to pick this up day 1

I like Mac's Venom, and sympathized with Brock as he tried to commit suicide to free himself from his dark side, but enough with the symbiotes. Yes, it is an important part of the mythos, but it's not the only thing. I have just grown very tired of them. Now, the game looks good. Really, I hope it does turn out to be a stellar installment into the Spider-Man video game collection, but I will probably pass due to the symbiotes.

*shrugs*

Game comes out soon. Who's getting it? I'll be renting this. Only because I know I'll blaze through the game in a few days. But the game looks good and hopefully that reflects in the final product. We need a good Spidey game.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was listening to the latest 1Up FM and rocksolidaudio said that the game starts off good, but by the end he just wanted it to end. He said the combat was really good, but it sounds like he was saying they rushed the story so that aspect of the game suffers, which sucks. At this point I'm looking at it as a $20 buy.

^ Yahoo Games had a review up for like a second, they pretty much said the same thing. Lackluster story, good gameplay. In the end they gave it a 4/5. But still I have myself wondering: How can you go wrong with Spider-Man fighting off a symbiote invasion while teaming up with all kinds of Marvel heroes? If anything I always thought the story was a sure thing.

[quote name='Rodimus']^ Yahoo Games had a review up for like a second, they pretty much said the same thing. Lackluster story, good gameplay. In the end they gave it a 4/5. But still I have myself wondering: How can you go wrong with Spider-Man fighting off a symbiote invasion while teaming up with all kinds of Marvel heroes? If anything I always thought the story was a sure thing.[/QUOTE]

I agree, I mean I'm not looking for the next Watchmen. I just want a story that makes (a bit of ) sense, has alot of cool cameos and allows for interesting and fun scenarios to use Spidey's powers.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']I agree, I mean I'm not looking for the next Watchmen. I just want a story that makes (a bit of ) sense, has alot of cool cameos and allows for interesting and fun scenarios to use Spidey's powers.[/QUOTE]

Sounds perfect to me. I'm not looking for deep, just coherent (and fun). I'll be getting this for Christmas.

I went looking for that Yahoo review after seeing it was the only one out there according to metacritic. And then the link was down. This worries me. I really wanted this game to be good. But the review blackout is not a good sign. It's makes it look like the publisher wants blind sales due to property name instead of being based on the merit of the game. Which sucks cause some CAG's here already have it pinned as a $20 buy. If the game ends up being really good, there was no build up and break down by communities like ours to buy the game on day 1.

*sigh* I'm guessing this becomes a very average action game. It looked like it had potential too. Oh well, $20 on this and hope for big things from Ultimate Alliance 2

I haven't been following this game at all, but what exactly has been said about Web of Shadows that wasn't said about the Spiderman 3 game? Or the Spiderman game before that? It seems like every time a Spiderman game is made, I hear a lot of talk like "The last Spiderman game was bad, but this one will be good! We promise!" But, come release, the game always sucks and everyone is all disappointed.

I'm just wondering what makes this one different, because I kinda don't see the point in looking forward to Spidey games anymore...

Here's a pretty favorable review. It doesn't mention anything about the story being lame. Anyways the game seems to meet my expectation. The Pros defiantly outweigh the Cons. This is a solid rental

http://gamesblog.ugo.com/index.php/gamesblog/more/spider_man_web_of_shadows_review_360_ps3/

Pros:
+ Deep Combat System with improved leveling. This seems to be the high point of the game
+ Red & Blue (Good & Evil) choices add to replay
+ Camera lock-on works good with the action
+ Hero cameos an added plus for Marvel fans

Cons
- Mission structure is repetative
- Some NPC models look underwhelming
- Camera movement seems a bit touchy
- QTE is back and adds nothing

Gameplay: B+
Presentation: B-
Fun Factor: A-
Value: B
Overall: B

Fun factor gets an A-? That plus the cameos from other Marvel heroes should be enough to wash the taste of that dreadful Spider-Man 3 game out of my mind.

Even if it was an amazing game it's still only a rental in my book. These are the kinda games you blaze through in a few days then never look back. Some reviews seem pretty harsh or maybe others are too gracious. Who knows, but I'll still play it. The combat looks fun and that's what I'm looking forward to.

My complaint before even playing it is I'm tired of swinging around New York City for the 5th time. I don't live there but I feel like I know it so well that I could get hired as a Taxi driver. But it's Spider-Man, whatcha gonna do?

Team X-Box - 5.1 out of 10
IGN - 5.7 out of 10
GameZone - 8.5 out of 10
UGO - B

They need to launch a new Spiderman game franchise set in the future where obviously it's an alternate future/past? You keep all the same people and their traits but change them accordingly to the setting. Imagine a New York in like 2142 where everything its really sci-fi esque and lots of high concept technology stuff. That or a post-apocalyptic NY that has Spiderman struggling to even survive let alone protect others. You could even change the city, put it in France or Tokyo or something.

Although, frankly I thought a mass invasion of the symbiote alien was different enough, but maybe according to reviews it wasn't? I still want to play the game caz it looks so damn cool.

bread's done
Back