Spiral Knights, anyone?

dothog

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
It's an easy-breezy MMO that's F2P. Very clicky. Cutesy Phastasy Star-type graphics.

I came on board via Steam. It truly is free to play, for the exceedingly cheap there is absolutely no reason to pay for anything. I'm willing to explain the "energy" system (from which playtime is determined) if anyone has questions.

I like it. It's the MMO methodone to WoW's high-powered opiates. A little confusing out of the gate, but you get a free 1-2 hrs of play a day if all you want to do is wreck mobs and craft shiny gear. It's probably more fun if you're casual about it, I'd guess if you're in it to beat it and rule the Auction House, you're going to become bored with it quickly.

Played it for about 25 minutes the other day then promptly uninstalled. Very, very boring dungeon crawler.

[quote name='AvidWriter']So you can only play for free for up to 2 hours a day? What happens after that? You have to pay to play more?[/QUOTE]

Playing through dungeons requires "energy". You get 100 energy for free per ~24 hours. Depending on how you're playing it can take anywhere between 1 and 2 hours to exhaust that energy if the only thing you're doing with it is dungeon crawling.

The game also allows you to purchase reserve energy using either cash or in-game currency (crowns), which drop off mobs and bosses. In playing though your allotted 100 energy per day, you'll generally earn more than enough crowns to buy more energy so you can play more.

However, energy is also used to craft items, and I'm sure there's other energy sinks in the game. If all you want to do is play, you can do it endlessly if you're sinking your crowns into energy, and you'll generally have enough crowns/loot left over from dungeon crawling to get all kitted out in swords and shields and guns and hats and so on.

It's not particularly challenging, but I think it's pretty good for what it is, it's at least one of the better F2P games I've seen. I can't imagine the people behind this game (who also made Puzzle Pirates) aren't turning a nice profit off of it, I think it's really taken off with Steam.

My kids play it but that's about it. Seems like fun but I have not seen the timer go off. They usually do 1 mission with cousins and then log.

Yeah, that's the routine. It's not a full meal, it's a sugar cookie.

And that Ash .jpg in your sig is beautiful.

[quote name='dothog']Yeah, that's the routine. It's not a full meal, it's a sugar cookie.

And that Ash .jpg in your sig is beautiful.[/QUOTE]

From the latest MUGEN game. I'm still testing it to see if I should post it.

It's not a bad game but I had a somewhat difficult time getting a party in the starting arena. I think it'd be fun if I knew 2 or 3 people who played it and where at the same level as I, but the hit-and-miss parties (I got a few horrid ones) and the seeming lack of a real level system have turned me off. I'm leaning more towards Forsaken Worlds now.

I agree, I think what stings about the matching system is that you're effectively penalized 10 CE if you land in a bad group. There should be a grace period of maybe 2-3 mins (or before the end of the lvl, whichever comes first), in which you can leave the group and return to Haven without suffering the loss of that 10 CE.

Also, I know it's not meant to be a full experience, but I think the chat window and communications in general are sorely lacking. The chat window is not nearly as functional as it should be, sending tells and checking the trade channel can be a pain. I'd say this needs revision as much as the constant addition of more lvls and new bosses.

I have been playing a lot and have been frustrated by the party system as well. I have been looking for a group, to play with. Steam id is Dragonsbane058, in game is Dragonsbane, msg me in game if you want to play.

Also looking at the starter pack (or party pack if I have enough people) seems like it would make things easier.

IMO you can do it entirely free, the trick is just the process of harvesting enough CE to craft. Right now it's a buyer's market for CE, you can pretty much afford to buy 100 CE for every full run of a given tier and have a little mist energy, mats, and crowns left over.

The developer obviously wants me to buy CE, though. The CE requirements on crafting are effing insane. By the time I grind out enough CE to get to Tier 3 gear, I'll be very sick of the game.

I guess I could just save crowns to buy gear outright, but there's something about crafting. It's like with Power Stone, I loved dicking around with all those permutations.

bread's done
Back