Spirited Away, and Nausica $16.99 each on amazon. studio Ghibli films 12.99 at costco

cool, great find. Did you also notice that Howl's Moving Castle, Whisper of the Heart, Porco Rosso are also 16.99? Seems amazon is having a sale on Studio Ghibli stuff with the release of Ponyo.

[quote name='lehviput']cool, great find. Did you also notice that Howl's Moving Castle, Whisper of the Heart, Porco Rosso are also 16.99? Seems amazon is having a sale on Studio Ghibli stuff with the release of Ponyo.[/QUOTE]

i did not, but i did not look cause i own them already. now i just need kiki's delivery service, and totoro to drop as well. howls moving castle i probably my favorite out of those.

Thanks for the info guys, but damn it! I spent all my money yesterday...
Wish I woulda known they'd put these on sale before hand. Anyways, wouldn't mind getting my hands on The Cat Returns, Spirited Away. Seen em both, but would love to own them.

I wonder why Castle in the Sky isn't apart of the sale on either site...

[quote name='jamezuva']Hmm..wonder if these are permanent price drops....deepdiscount has them reduced too[/QUOTE]

I am sure it is a temp thing since Miyazaki's new movie Poyno has just opened in the US. So take advantage of this!

I wish we'd start hearing about Bluray releases of some of these... Spirited Away is such an awesome movie (as are most of these!). Actually saw it twice on opening weekend when it got its theatrical release because I liked it so much.

Going to have to check the collection to see which of these I need. Thanks!! :)

[quote name='DorianG']Speaking of Ghbili movies is My Neighbor Totoro out of print? I can't find it anywhere.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure it is. While most Miyazaki movies have been distributed in America exclusively by Disney, My Neighbor Totoro has been kicked around from distributor to distributor over the years (oddly enough, the first studio to release it in America back in the 80s was Troma), so maybe they just lost the rights? And if anyone's interested, the Ghibli (non-Miyazaki, though) picture Grave of the Fireflies is also out of print in its original two disc edition. Both titles were taken out of print recently enough that you might still be able to stumble across a copy somewhere, if you're lucky.

More random Miyazaki trivia--when My Neighbor Totoro and Grave of the Fireflies were released in Japan, they were released as a double feature, despite their dissimilarity. Studio Ghibli was afraid no one would see Fireflies otherwise.

I saw this yesterday in a BB store, but I passed thinking surely some Blu-rays were in the pipes. But checking online has yielded no info on any Ghibli Blu-ray releases. Anybody else have any info on possible Ghibli Blu-ray releases. Maybe when Ponyo is released on DVD. (Great movie by the way, best G-rated movie I've seen in a while and the kids loved it too.)

[quote name='180husher']I saw this yesterday in a BB store, but I passed thinking surely some Blu-rays were in the pipes. But checking online has yielded no info on any Ghibli Blu-ray releases. Anybody else have any info on possible Ghibli Blu-ray releases. Maybe when Ponyo is released on DVD. (Great movie by the way, best G-rated movie I've seen in a while and the kids loved it too.)[/QUOTE]I'm with you on that one. Would rather wait for a blu release.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']I'm with you on that one. Would rather wait for a blu release.[/QUOTE]

Disney owns most of the distribution rights to Ghibli films here for North American market. It is going to be very long wait before they decide to release previous films to BluRay. I think they may release Ponyo to DVD and Blu since it is much newer.

Looking at Ghibli collection, what happened to the Tales of EarthSea? Apparently this is not available for North American market.

I was really shocked when I went to costco yesterday after I watched Ponyo and I noticed they had a bunch of Ghibili flicks for $12.99 that's cheaper then Best Buy or anyone else. So the person who started this thread should change the title. Hope you guys enjoy this deal.

[quote name='Hrtbrkid2']I was really shocked when I went to costco yesterday after I watched Ponyo and I noticed they had a bunch of Ghibili flicks for $12.99 that's cheaper then Best Buy or anyone else. So the person who started this thread should change the title. Hope you guys enjoy this deal.[/QUOTE]

Costco has it?

Hopefully, SAM Club will also carry this later. :lol:

As for Ponyo DVD, the international version from Japan (with English subtitle only) is already available.
YesAsia.com sells it but it is kinda expensive.

[quote name='Hrtbrkid2']I was really shocked when I went to costco yesterday after I watched Ponyo and I noticed they had a bunch of Ghibili flicks for $12.99 that's cheaper then Best Buy or anyone else. So the person who started this thread should change the title. Hope you guys enjoy this deal.[/QUOTE]

i will update the title when i get home, work likes to block some things

which titles did they have?

[quote name='cagfansub']Disney owns most of the distribution rights to Ghibli films here for North American market. It is going to be very long wait before they decide to release previous films to BluRay. I think they may release Ponyo to DVD and Blu since it is much newer.

Looking at Ghibli collection, what happened to the Tales of EarthSea? Apparently this is not available for North American market.[/QUOTE]

Considering Earthsea is supposed to be released in the US in 2010, I can't imagine them having the DVD available here before then.

[quote name='ctrek3']i will update the title when i get home, work likes to block some things

which titles did they have?[/QUOTE]

I saw these for $12.99 at Costco today, too. The titles I remember are Nausicaa, Whisper of the Heart, Spirited Away, Porco Rosso, The Cat Returns, Howl's Moving Castle.

[quote name='rkndkn']I saw these for $12.99 at Costco today, too. The titles I remember are Nausicaa, Whisper of the Heart, Spirited Away, Porco Rosso, The Cat Returns, Howl's Moving Castle.[/QUOTE]

Me too, seems costco is the best bet at 12.99, picked up Nausicaa, Porco Rosso and Howls, i havent compared bluray to dvd in terms of animated films so i dont know if there is a huge difference/advantage of waiting for the bluray.

If well transferred, animation looks AMAZING on Bluray simply because it looks like the original cell paintings. There's a big difference but since we haven't heard a word about any of them I went ahead and picked up Nausicaa, Porco, and Whisper of the Heart with a BB gift card. I figure those are probably less likely to go on BR soon anyway. (Nausicaa maybe, but I'd assume Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away will be the highest priority)

okay i have to admit that i have not created many threads here even though i have been a member since 03. i cannot figure out how to update the thread title. i checked the faq, but found nothing. any help please

[quote name='cagfansub']Amazon have two versions of Grave of Fireflies:

$14.99
http://www.amazon.com/Grave-Firefli...S9FM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1250346060&sr=8-1

No price
http://www.amazon.com/Fireflies-2-D...HAWP/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1250346060&sr=8-2

Not sure which one to get.[/QUOTE]

ADV Films has bought the Grave of Fireflies license and has re-releasing it as well. Might want to get that version, although I don't know how it compares to the 2 dvd one

http://www.amazon.com/Grave-Firefli...ef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1250898427&sr=1-1

I'd really like to wait for Howl's and the other films I don't have to come out on Blu Ray but I'm not sure I'm willing to wait indefinitely.

[quote name='Grico']If you are looking for pre-Studio Ghibli work by Miyazaki, I highly recommend the first movie he directed and wrote, Lupin the III: The Castle of Cagliostro which was release by Manga Entertainment.

http://www.amazon.com/Lupin-III-Cas...ef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1250898576&sr=1-1

Highly enjoyable, great action movie.[/QUOTE]

Not to mention it was the base animation used for the laserdisc game Cliff Hanger, thereby bringing it back to the whole 'cheap ass gamer' thing. ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cliff_Hanger_(video_game)

I would really like some of these movies, but when it comes to movies, I'm very cheap. I must really want something to pay over $10 for it. In general, I don't like paying more than $2 to $4 for DVDs. Guess I've gotten use to getting movies for cheap at garage sales. The only reason I have spirited away is that I found it cheap at a pawn shop. These movies are worth it, but I can't fight the cheap in me.

Wish they'd hurry up and release these on Blu-Ray. I can't justify spending that kind of money on a DVD. Oh, and both Castle of Cagliastro and Grave of the Fireflies are excellent movies and I'm proud to have them in my collection.

The stores are clearing stock because Disney plans to put out new-editions of these movies this Winter, alongside the Ponyo DVD/Blu Ray, so you guys may want to wait.

[quote name='Celsius']The stores are clearing stock because Disney plans to put out new-editions of these movies this Winter, alongside the Ponyo DVD/Blu Ray, so you guys may want to wait.[/QUOTE]
source?

[quote name='jamezuva']source?[/QUOTE]

August 18, 2009 - Hayao Miyazaki's Ponyo opened ninth at the box office over the weekend with earnings of nearly $3.6 million from 927 theaters. While that might not sound like much for Hollywood, the G-rated fantasy came close to equaling the final tally of the previous Disney-distributed Miyazaki flick (2005's Howl's Moving Castle) and registered as the fifth all-time biggest anime opening in North America. Ponyo is expected to come to DVD and Blu-ray by the end of the year. We've just learned that it will be accompanied by new Special Editions of Miyazaki's first three films made after the founding of Studio Ghibli: Castle in the Sky, Kiki's Delivery Service, and My Neighbor Totoro, all of which recently had their original Disney DVDs quietly discontinued. It's not yet clear if the 1980s films will be on Blu-ray as well as DVD. Provided they stay on the schedule, we should have more information soon.

www.ultimatedisney.com

That doesn't really make sense since My Neighbor Totoro was one of the most recent Miyazaki special editions Disney put out. I think they got that one mixed in with another Miyazaki because the only one's that didn't get new two disc special edition re-releases were Castle in the Sky, Kiki's Delivery Service, Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away.

[quote name='gothamcentral79']That doesn't really make sense since My Neighbor Totoro was one of the most recent Miyazaki special editions Disney put out. I think they got that one mixed in with another Miyazaki because the only one's that didn't get new two disc special edition re-releases were Castle in the Sky, Kiki's Delivery Service, Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away.[/QUOTE]

Well, Spirited Away had a 2-disc release when it first came out so another two-disc re-release wouldn't really be all that awesome or "special."

I picked up Nausicaa and Whisper today -- really excited to see these. I'll definitely pick up the three re-releases when they hit so long as they're priced reasonably. Castle and Kiki are fantastic films. Have heard great things about Totoro.

I rarely -- if ever -- pay over $6 for a film (same with videogames) but there are those titles or creators for whom I make exceptions (Legend of Zelda, Mario, and for anime, Miyazaki) ;-)

I also highly recommend people pick up Little Nemo - Adventures in Slumberland. Miyazaki was once tied to this project and while it falls far short of his films, it's still a magical movie and quite an achievement in animation and creativity. It's also VERY cheap and can be had for less than $6.

[quote name='romeogbs19']Well, Spirited Away had a 2-disc release when it first came out so another two-disc re-release wouldn't really be all that awesome or "special."
[/QUOTE]

All of the Miyazaki Disney releases have two discs. I own the Kiki's & Castle in the Sky releases and their both already two disc editions also. The only one that doesn't have a two disc is Princess Mononoke. The thing is the one's I listed were back before they started making them "special editions" so those will probably be the one's they re-release.

bread's done
Back