Splinter Cell Trilogy PS3 - $17.99 @ NewEgg

[quote name='hle078']good price, but how's the game?[/QUOTE]

These are just HD remakes of the 3 splinter cell games from the PS2/Xbox era - Splinter Cell, Pandora Tomorrow, and Chaos Theory.

If you liked those and want to replay them or want to play them for the first time this is for you, if you didn't like them before then you still won't like them.

These do lack the multiplayer support the originals (I think only Pandora tomorrow and Chaos Theory) had though.

I thought about picking it up then i remembered my backlog plus i figure these will be $15 or less in no time anyways so no hurry for me to pick them up. Good deal for those who want to play them though.

I'm wanting to get some of these HD Collection sets. I know I want Ico & SOTC but do yall think this set or the Prince of Persia games are better?

[quote name='BFox549']I'm wanting to get some of these HD Collection sets. I know I want Ico & SOTC but do yall think this set or the Prince of Persia games are better?[/QUOTE]

Depends on taste - do you want stealth or action-adventure-platforming?

It does look like the PoP HD collection has better review scores than Splinter Cell.

Still a great deal because they are $14.99 each game in the Playstation Store. For the extra $3 bucks I'll take the disk. In for one and have a massive backlog, haha! Thanks OP

I've heard bad things about this collection regards to how they cut corners everywhere including in the bad looking graphics upscaling, long load times and lousy customization options(no invert camera?) with no extras to speak of.

Anyone else hear any different about it?

[quote name='Slade']I've heard bad things about this collection regards to how they cut corners everywhere including in the bad looking graphics upscaling, long load times and lousy customization options(no invert camera?) with no extras to speak of.

Anyone else hear any different about it?[/QUOTE]

I believe it was confirmed in a previous thread that there is a live patch that adds the invert option.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9198814&postcount=91
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9200616&postcount=94

I'm sure you also heard the disc version plays better too. Fanboy garbage. They're both exactly the same.

The game absolutely has inverted controls now. I bought it from Newegg from $19.99 and it patched about 2 weeks later. They are absoluetly in there, in the US version anyway.

[quote name='NSYNC']I'm sure you also heard the disc version plays better too. Fanboy garbage. They're both exactly the same.[/QUOTE]
Not sure if serious. The disc version is much cheaper now, so moot point?

[quote name='gantt']I believe it was confirmed in a previous thread that there is a live patch that adds the invert option.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9198814&postcount=91
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9200616&postcount=94[/QUOTE]
The invert issue was a deal breaker for me. I can confirm the patch did add the invert option back. But I haven't spent enough time in these games to comment on the quality of the conversions from PC. There are enough reviews online saying the conversions are poor, though, that I'm not expecting much.

Yet another game gets added to my backlog. Thanks OP for the deal! Now I'm just waiting on a similar deal for the PoP Trilogy HD and eventually the Jak & Dexter HD and Silent Hill HD Collections.

[quote name='def PD']Now I'm just waiting on a similar deal for the PoP Trilogy HD and eventually the Jak & Dexter HD and Silent Hill HD Collections.[/QUOTE]You mean like this? ;)

Both this and the Prince of Persia collections are riddled with glitches, but if you're willing to take a chance and look them up beforehand you can probably avoid most of them. But be warned, I did this and still got gamebreaking ones in Warrior Within (game failed to load a mechanism to open a door, then when I died I got the wraith glitch which ruins the save) and Chaos Theory (saved the game and crashed to the XMB).

[quote name='Lucian']The disc version is much cheaper now, so moot point?[/QUOTE]

How does price deem it a moot point, haha? I'm just saying disc/digital versions are identical.

I was a big Splinter Cell fan. Probably played the first game 3-4 times.

I wish these remakes came to Xbox 360. I have a PS3, but I'd rather get achievements. I'm not interested in replaying the games enough without achievements. I don't care about trophies.

[quote name='Hoffer']I was a big Splinter Cell fan. Probably played the first game 3-4 times.

I wish these remakes came to Xbox 360. I have a PS3, but I'd rather get achievements. I'm not interested in replaying the games enough without achievements. I don't care about trophies.[/QUOTE]

Your friends don't actually give a fuck what your gamerscore is. Play games for fun, kid.

[quote name='bobphone']Your friends don't actually give a fuck what your gamerscore is. Play games for fun, kid.[/QUOTE]

BRTky.jpg

I sure hope newegg gets more in stock cause this is a killer deal over the 45 dollars you would have to pay to get the digital download versions.

[quote name='NSYNC']How does price deem it a moot point, haha? I'm just saying disc/digital versions are identical.[/QUOTE]

No one ever seemed to question that...

[quote name='Prismatico']Both this and the Prince of Persia collections are riddled with glitches, but if you're willing to take a chance and look them up beforehand you can probably avoid most of them. But be warned, I did this and still got gamebreaking ones in Warrior Within (game failed to load a mechanism to open a door, then when I died I got the wraith glitch which ruins the save) and Chaos Theory (saved the game and crashed to the XMB).[/QUOTE]

Are these glitches new to these HD collections? I think I remember the Warrior Within having similar problems when it first came out.

[quote name='msdmoney']Are these glitches new to these HD collections? I think I remember the Warrior Within having similar problems when it first came out.[/QUOTE]

No, but what's worse is that Ubisoft did fix them for earlier re-releases. They brought back save corrupting glitches in these collections.

I can confirm that the PoP trilogy and the Splinter Cell games still run like a dream on PC, so it might just be more cost effective to wait for a Steam sale.

Plus, the PC versions of Chaos Theory will have the co-op campaign and versus.

did this ever get an xbox release? Since i played the earlier ones on the xbox id like to play this on the 360 but i dont think it ever got one

Meh, seeing everyone complain about glitches has me thinking screw it anyway

[quote name='fujimitsu']
BRTky.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I LOLed at this post.

$17.99 is a little too rich for my blood right now. I haven't played any of these games, but I loved Splinter Cell Conviction very very much. I understand that these games are much stealthier. Do you guys think the games hold up today and would you recommend them to someone who's a big fan of splinter cell conviction?

Off topic but relating to the "badass" poster:

I'm a huge achievement whore, but my friends on xbox live truely couldn't give a fuck about achievements. I get achievements for myself. It's fun for me to get achievements and this factors in with my game purchases. If this game is planned for a Xbox 360 release, then I don't want to purchase the ps3 version.

The old splinter cell games are so very different from convictions.

It almost feels like they're entirely different series.

There's nothing to say you wouldn't enjoy the old games, they're actually pretty good but just don't expect the games to be anything like convictions.

It's a lot more slower paced with a much more emphasis on sneaking around rather than shooting and killing dudes.

[quote name='Kenshindono']did this ever get an xbox release? Since i played the earlier ones on the xbox id like to play this on the 360 but i dont think it ever got one

Meh, seeing everyone complain about glitches has me thinking screw it anyway[/QUOTE]

no Xbox version

Out of stock....err great price and hope this comes back....sucks to work the night shift always miss some great deals.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']I LOLed at this post.

$17.99 is a little too rich for my blood right now. I haven't played any of these games, but I loved Splinter Cell Conviction very very much. I understand that these games are much stealthier. Do you guys think the games hold up today and would you recommend them to someone who's a big fan of splinter cell conviction?[/QUOTE]
no. the first 3 games aren't casual like Conviction is.

The first 3 games are much much superior.

Swoot! it went back in stock and I think I got the last copy since I ordered and they charged my card, but it says out of stock now.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are playing for trophies/achievements, this collection has some of the hardest trophies to obtain. Also some of the trophies appear to be glitched, so obtaining all 3 platinum trophies is nearly impossible.

Buy the game if you want to play it, but don't buy it thinking you will be scoring easy trophies.

[quote name='4tygames']If you are playing for trophies/achievements, this collection has some of the hardest trophies to obtain. Also some of the trophies appear to be glitched, so obtaining all 3 platinum trophies is nearly impossible.

Buy the game if you want to play it, but don't buy it thinking you will be scoring easy trophies.[/QUOTE]

Yes, in addition to regular annoying (sometimes gamebreaking) glitches, the trophies have given issues to most people going for them.

if you look up lazy port in the dictionary, this would be the first thing you see.

I would not support this garbage, if you are in it for gamerscore buy it used or rent it.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']I LOLed at this post.

$17.99 is a little too rich for my blood right now. I haven't played any of these games, but I loved Splinter Cell Conviction very very much. I understand that these games are much stealthier. Do you guys think the games hold up today and would you recommend them to someone who's a big fan of splinter cell conviction?

Off topic but relating to the "badass" poster:

I'm a huge achievement whore, but my friends on xbox live truely couldn't give a fuck about achievements. I get achievements for myself. It's fun for me to get achievements and this factors in with my game purchases. If this game is planned for a Xbox 360 release, then I don't want to purchase the ps3 version.[/QUOTE]

I used to be the same way. When I pick up games now, I don't mind which version I get. The only thing that factors into my decision is price and online play. I don't pay for XBL so PSN is my choice.

bread's done
Back