Split Second - Pure devs taking on Burnout - May 18, 2010

[quote name='xCappax']so people who have demoed both Blur and Split/Second anyone have a preference?[/QUOTE]
Comparison of the demos:

Blur - large selection of cars and tracks, ability to unlock new "perks" via leveling system (can reach level 15 in the beta/demo), and a nice adaptation of the Mario Kart-style arcade racing. Cars drive just fine, the races are exciting and action-packed (especially when there's a 20-player race), and you get a good look at the multiplayer lobby system. Feels like a $40 game based off the demo.

Split/Second - one track, one car, three laps. Car drives like ass, there's a lack of that sense of speed that Burnout has, and powerplays are predictable and easily avoided once you are familiar with the track (at least against AI). Feels kind of gimmick-y, but it's hard to tell from the very small amount of content in the demo. Feels like a $20 game at best from the demo, maybe a rental.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']There's an instructional video that describes how to build up your powerplay meter before you first get into a race, that is unless you skipped it.[/QUOTE]

I must have missed it...still with Blur easily being one of my most anticipated racers of all time, Split/Second can wait.

I must say I wasn't really impressed with Blur either, I generally like racing games but I can't see me getting either of these till they drop to the $20-$30 price range.

Completely agree. I had both preordered and canceled them after playing the demos. Guess I'm still waiting for a BURNOUT "CLASSIC" type of game, not open world like PARADISE, but something that brings back the BURNOUT REVENGE vibe. Didn't get it from SPLIT/SECOND -- that sense of speed just wasn't there, the "staged" sequences seem like they'd get old fast.

I might check out BLUR or SPLIT after they drop, but I can't justify a full price purchase for either after playing the demos.

[quote name='xCappax']so people who have demoed both Blur and Split/Second anyone have a preference?[/QUOTE]
The two demos are quite different in approaches since one is a multiplayer beta and the other is not. You really should just download them and play them to see what you think about them since neither are really blowing away most people.

I wasn't impressed at all by Blur. It was a bit soulless as a by-the-numbers MW multiplayer set-up without anything that's unique to this game. The servers were broken most of the time that I wanted to play as I would get kicked from the server a lot when I tried the 20 player mode, which gives me no hope that it'll actually work in the retail version since that didn't change after updates. I really don't like that modes are hidden until you level up enough to unlock them, which is annoying when the first two modes you have to play are the same. Parties usually stayed around five people most of the time with it being rare that the party was filled up. The racing is okay as the cars control weirdly anywhere as well as the PGR games, which is a shame since those were great racing games.

Split Second only offers one track and one car to control, so there's still not much known about how the other cars control and what kind of variety there is in the tracks. The controls took only one race to get used to and my only issue with the controls is that getting out of a drift isn't as smooth as I'd like. The strategy of saving up the powerplay meter for the right spots to take out opponents and calling for a second level power play is awesome since they are major events that usually change the routes for the rest of the race. It has a Burnout feel in the way you try to avoid being vulnerable to being taken out by the AI. I'm hoping the single-player is more than just a series of single races and has a bit more to it than that.

I'll probably get Split Second with the help of some trade-in money to make it cheaper.

Damn, from the comments here it looks like im going to be really disapointed when i finally get to play the demo tomorrow.

Never got a chance to play Blur online, i could never get into a match...

checked Split/Second and for me it is huge let down. i was really stoked for this game, but after trying out demo i was unimpressed. graphics is superb and i love the whole style of the game but driving felt really off to me. i will wait for Nail'd(which simply looks like Pure with craziness of Split/Second turn to 11) and Test Drive Unlimited 2 and now just pick up some older titles i missed out.

i won't be even considering Blur simply because it's published by Activision and there's no way i will give them my money.

I'm a big racing fan, so I'll probably pick this up later, but damn it why do you have to come out the same day, nah week, that Red Dead Redemption and Alan Wake come out. I love Burnout and blowing up the track making it a dynamic race is a great idea.

Did no one pick this up today? I got my copy in the mail and even though the demo left me worried I'm enjoying the hell out of the full product so far.

I got the game (for the PS3) and have been satisfied so far. Only have beaten the first "episode" and started the second so far and my thoughts:
The Elite races (essentially boss races) are fairly tense since the AI in them seems smarter and more competitive than the regular AI.
Eliminator is fun since your racing against opponents and the clock.
Detonator is kinda meh , since it's basically just a time trial while memorizing while traps will be sprung against you.
Air Strike is annoying as fuck. It seems really cheap and more dependent on luck than anything else. Maybe there is a trick to it I haven't learned yet.
Only other thought is that learning where the Level 2 power plays are is a big help since they offer the biggest attacks and usually good shortcuts.

[quote name='exileinoblivion']Did no one pick this up today? I got my copy in the mail and even though the demo left me worried I'm enjoying the hell out of the full product so far.[/QUOTE]

Hell yes. I probably played 3 hours last night and only gotten through the first two seasons. The full game really shows how old that demo was (E3 09). The car handling is immediately noticeable with the first cars you start with, and they only get better from there. They aren't on a Burnout level of tightness, but they work well enough for this game.

I like all the modes, but yeah, Air Strike is a bitch. I tried a couple of those a half dozen times and can't get any better than 3rd place.

Tried online and unfortunately you are limited to what cars you have unlocked in single player. Why devs, why? Oh wait, I know why... because you can buy a $4 key off the marketplace that unlocks all the vehicles. So that makes things pretty lopsided online. Weak.

The only one I really stood a chance on (and won) was the second mode, the one with the semis dropping explosive barrels. That's a pretty fun mode.

I am having a LOT more fun with it than I did Blur.

Glad the full version is getting better feedback than the demo. This one is definitely on my radar. I didn't think too much of Blur so I'll give this a shot.

I thought Air Strike was pretty easy, I don't think it's cheap at all. For the most part you can see exactly where the missiles are going to land. Remember it's not just about steering clear of where they will land, adjusting your speed can help you easily avoid getting blown away too.

More people really need to get this game.

Loving this game but I hate that 3 different stores (Walmart, Best Buy, GameStop) come with different exclusive DLC codes.

I'm sure some people don't care about them, so does anyone have any extra codes they want to share? Personally looking for GameStop and Walmart codes but someone else might want Best Buy. (I have the 360 version, by the way.)

Picked it up, and enjoying it so far. I echo the need for more people and I hope fellow CAGs give it a try because it is a fun game. I agree it will not replace Burnout but it compliments well.

I'm up to the fourth episode and am enjoying this a lot so far. I like the interesting modes like Air Strike and Survival, which put me on the defensive unlike the rest of the game. They're not too hard yet, but picking cars with good strength makes a big difference. Does my choice with which set of races to make the next episode just push the other set for the next episode?

The DLC cars are just skinned versions of cars that are already in the game. The GameStop is just the first cars that's available with a GameStop logo on it. Nothing game-breaking or even interesting compared to the retailer cars in Burnout Paradise that were unique cars that were pretty good.

I sold my copy last night on eBay. I really liked the single player game. Very exciting gameplay and the different modes were great. I decided not to keep it as I really didn't care for the online multiplayer racing.

I've been playing Blur the last couple days. Having just the opposite experience. I find Blur's single player to be pretty boring, but I LOVE the multiplayer.

What didn't you like about S/S online multiplayer? I'm trying to decide between this and Blur. Which one has a better online community? The S/S $39.99 at Best Buy next week is very tempting.

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']What didn't you like about S/S online multiplayer? I'm trying to decide between this and Blur. Which one has a better online community? The S/S $39.99 at Best Buy next week is very tempting.[/QUOTE]

I didn't like the ranking system in SS. It has something called "form". (I think) You start out at 99 and can get it down to 1. My first race, I came in like 4th place and my form was moved to 98. The second race, I came in 7th place and my form was moved back to 99. So, I'm assuming this means you have to do really good consistently if you ever hope to get to the best rank.

It really turned me off that my rank moved down after a bad race. I fully expect to have more bad races than good. So, I'd probably be stuck on 99 the rest of my life. Maybe I understood the system wrong and someone can explain it to me.

I like Blur's online better as it has a ranking system like Call of Duty 4. Even if you come in last place, you still get XP. As you get more XP, you rank up and unlock new cars and mods for your cars.

So the consesus is positive on Split Second? I might have to bite then. It will be between this and UFC 2010 since I just tore through Prince of Persia for the full GS and am anticipating killing Alan Wake & Splinter Cell DLC within a week or so :D

[quote name='Spybreak8']I think the consensus is that if you want online racing go with Blur, want single player racing go with Split/Second.[/QUOTE]

I can go with that.

Ha so I'm still waiting for my copy from Amazon and I contacted them asking for a 10 dollar credit. They came back with some pricing fluctuations bs and so I just replied saying since I still haven't gotten my copy (went with the free shipping/RDR will suffice atm) I could just cancel my order/reorder for that price. Man:argue:

Update: Well I just got the game today and I've had a lot of fun with it. The biggest annoyance though is that they need to tell you the game title every freakin' second!? The music is a bit meh but my custom Avenged Sevenfold makes the game intense.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']What didn't you like about S/S online multiplayer? I'm trying to decide between this and Blur. Which one has a better online community? The S/S $39.99 at Best Buy next week is very tempting.[/QUOTE]

If you don't have the best car unlocked it's virtually impossible to win a race or even place in the top 3 these days. The game would be 110% better if they could adopt a newbie matchmaking mode for peeps ranked 90-99.

Current rank is 8 :)

I finished 1st place in the career mode with a rank of 2 last night. I have gold on everything but 4 Detonator races. As far as I'm concerned, Black Rock can go to hell on those. :lol: You can have a perfect run and still come up a second short. Brutally frustrating.

[quote name='Spybreak8']The biggest annoyance though is that they need to tell you the game title every freakin' second!? The music is a bit meh but my custom Avenged Sevenfold makes the game intense.[/QUOTE]

It's designed to be like a TV show so it kinda makes sense.

Nah they shouldn't have to say next time on Split/Second all the time. It's repetitive and not needed. They could just say next time you're going to see this and that which would still work. It's like why do they have to have Split/Second also when you respawn in a race. Annoying but I love the game non the less.

I liked the Detonator races while my least favorite was the Airstrike mode. I didn't find it hard to weave in and out of the missiles and after a while you get the biggest powerplay you can unleash after chaining perfect waves. Hit B to send all the missiles back at the helicopter, rinse and repeat.

I was playing through my latest OXM disc and they had the Burnout Revenge demo on there. Even with one track to play I enjoyed racing in the chaos more than in Split Second. Using environmental destruction is cool but I wish they'd give you more to your powerplay bar when you take an opponent out like in Burnout (you get more boost for takedowns) but maybe they found there were balance issues with that.

...aaaaaaaand.... done. Grabbed the final few gold I needed yesterday and got my online form of 1. That leaves the two "Beat the Team" achievements to close out the 1000. I'm close on one, but not the other. Awesome game and I hope the ending wasn't just a tease because I'm already set for a sequel.

I really enjoyed this game for the most part although some of the AI in the races were ridiculous. It was incredibly fun online though but alas I decided to trade it in to Amazon after I got the good out of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
ive been playing the butt off this game the past couple days now. its very fun. sometimes not worth triggering the big power plays though because it seems like no matter what the AI always catches up. ive come in second place so many times when it seems like i clearly had a big lead only to be beat in the last second. i usually save up 2 power plays and just blast any time any one gets in front of me. this game is pretty addicting and i dont even like racing games that much. im about half way done with season mode now.

[quote name='sublime90']ive been playing the butt off this game the past couple days now. its very fun. sometimes not worth triggering the big power plays though because it seems like no matter what the AI always catches up. ive come in second place so many times when it seems like i clearly had a big lead only to be beat in the last second. i usually save up 2 power plays and just blast any time any one gets in front of me. this game is pretty addicting and i dont even like racing games that much. im about half way done with season mode now.[/QUOTE]

It depends on what car you're using because you can own the AI with the right one. It also depends on your playstyle too I guess, a drifter or a straight racer.

bread's done
Back