Status
Not open for further replies.

2Fast

CAGiversary!
Feedback
19 (100%)
"Live long and prosper" with Mr. Spock!

Spock001.jpg

From: Star Trek (the original television series), Star Trek I-VI (motion pictures).

Species: Human/Vulcan

Home Planet: Vulcan

Affiliation: Starfleet

Ranks Held: Lieutenant Commander, Commander, Captain, Ambassador.

Signature Moves: Vulcan nerve pinch, Vulcan death grip, mind meld, katra transfer.

Interesting Fact: Despite being known to many as "Dr. Spock," Spock was never established as a doctor or referred to as one in any way. This confusion mainly comes from a famous pediatrician, Dr. Benjamin Spock, who gained notoriety in the mid 1900s for many of his writings and political activism. Gene Roddenberry denied that he named the character "Spock" after the famous pediatrician.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spock

The Stupidest Angel by Christopher Moore was a pretty funny book. Anything with zombies has to be good at something. I'm reading A Dirty Job by Moore right now and I think it starts out a bit slow. But I don't think that's science fiction.

Did anyone else see the Doctor Who finale today? Great stuff, and the source of all the Bad Wolf stuff was really unexpected. I hope Sci-Fi airs Tourchwood and Doctor Who series 2 soon.

I was talking to one of my bosses at work today who happens to be a huge trekkie (both literally and figuratively) and he told me he hates Star Trek: First Contact just because he has nightmares about the Borg. So I started to mess with him by stating the Borg manifesto (as I like to call it) in my best voice and he started to get really, really pissed. Resistance is futile, afterall.

I might have to pick up some stuff from the deepdiscountdvd.com sale. I still only own one Star Wars movie (Episode III, not sure why I only own that one), and some of the 2D/SE Star Trek movies are looking very nice at about $7.50 a pop.

Nah, it's a good idea. I just didn't see the thread. I am primarily a Trek fan when it comes to Sci-Fi but I dig some other stuff like X-Files. I enjoy a lot of Trek novels as well. The X-men crossover was damn good.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Nah, it's a good idea. I just didn't see the thread. I am primarily a Trek fan when it comes to Sci-Fi but I dig some other stuff like X-Files. I enjoy a lot of Trek novels as well. The X-men crossover was damn good.[/quote]
Well, if there's no one else besides me and you I might ask to have it locked and deleted :/

I mainly enjoy Star Trek and Star Wars myself. X-Files is damn good, I love that show as well. Does it come on in syndication anywhere? I haven't seen it in ages.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Man, I haven't seen it in a long time either. I think the last time I saw X-Files, it was on FX IIRC.[/quote]

I can't remember if I loved or hated the movie. I know it was one of those, but man I can't remember. It's tough to keep up with what's bad and what's good these days.

You know, I don't think I ever saw the X-Files movie for some reason.

I tell you what, one of my favorite movies that no one else seemed to like was Event Horizon. I tend to be a fan of almost everything Laurence Fishburne is in though.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']You know, I don't think I ever saw the X-Files movie for some reason.

I tell you what, one of my favorite movies that no one else seemed to like was Event Horizon. I tend to be a fan of almost everything Laurence Fishburne is in though.[/quote]

Without a shadow of a doubt, he was the best part of all the Matrix movies. Can't say I've ever seen Event Horizon though (or maybe I have; so many movies to keep track of).

[quote name='2Fast']Well, if there's no one else besides me and you I might ask to have it locked and deleted :/[/QUOTE]It'll be fine. Even more general topics go slowly. The music ones take weeks to die, any everyone likes to pimp their music taste. Don't worry about slow movement.

Anyone know when they are releasing the complete season 2 of battlestar galactica? I know 2.0 is out but that it's only the first half. I was hoping to pick up the full set during DDD 20% but it's not out yet.

the next battlestar will probably come out in aug, shortly before the next season starts...

Even Horizon was a great fucking movie..." I am already home" was a freaky scene in the movie.

There were several decent sci fi shows this season that didn' t make it...I loved invasion, threshold started off strong (it had a midget in it, how could one not like it) but slowly died. Surface, imo, was ok. Some really good shows, mixed in with some horrible ones.

[quote name='jho']Anyone know when they are releasing the complete season 2 of battlestar galactica? I know 2.0 is out but that it's only the first half. I was hoping to pick up the full set during DDD 20% but it's not out yet.[/quote] Season 2.5 comes out on DVD on September 19
An early version of the box art.

Season 3 starts in October and will be a non stop season, like 24.

[quote name='2Fast']Yes, that was awesome. Totally agree with everything in it. I'm still upset about that movie, TNG should have gone out in a much better way.[/quote] That was great! Agreed that TNG should have had a better exit. Same goes for Data. I can accept killing him, but not for such a stupid reason/movie. Still, I have more appreciation for "Blue Sky" now.

I like the 4400 also - although I thought the season premiere wasn't that great. I'm not sure I like how this Isabella storyline is going.

Man, the first season of Star Trek TNG is balls. Total balls. Way too cheesy and too much like the worst episodes of the original series.

[quote name='2Fast']Man, the first season of Star Trek TNG is balls. Total balls. Way too cheesy and too much like the worst episodes of the original series.[/quote]

I actually enjoyed it. I guess it was just because the characters didn't know each other yet. Plus Picard was more of a hardass, lol. :lol: There was definitely an abundance of cheese though.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I actually enjoyed it. I guess it was just because the characters didn't know each other yet. Plus Picard was more of a hardass, lol. :lol: There was definitely an abundance of cheese though.[/quote]
Yeah, I was really taken back by what a dick Picard was in the first season. It really sucked to be Wesley then.

When I got my first DDD order I watched the entire first season of the 4400 in two days. It's a great show, and I don't think I'm going to be able to wait for another DDD sale to get season 2.

Ah, some VERY interesting Trek rumors...

http://www.greatlink.org/dcisV2.asp?url=http://www.greatlink.org/shownewsitem.asp?item=5506

From Sci-Fi Wire:

The Insider, the syndicated gossip TV series, reported a rumor that Matt Damon is being eyed to play a young Capt. James T. Kirk in J.J. Abrams' proposed 11th Star Trek movie.

Citing an anonymous source, the show reported that Abrams (Mission: Impossible III) is so interested in Damon (The Bourne Identity) that he's sought support from the original Kirk, William Shatner. "Shatner gave his blessing," the source reportedly told the show. "J.J. got his approval."

Rumors are circulating that Abrams' Trek movie will be a prequel to the original series, centering on Kirk and Spock's early days at Starfleet. "J.J. wants Damon as Capt. Kirk," the source said. "He really loves the idea."

For their part, Abrams and his Trek producing partner Bryan Burk (who is also an executive producer on Abram's hit ABC series Lost) have declined to comment on speculation about the movie's storyline, saying only that any reports about its narrative have been released prematurely.

My sister actually told me about this yesterday, but I didn't have a chance to find a link to the story until today.

I like the idea of going after Damon for the role. He would be able to bring in a new group of fans that may not watch Star Trek at all.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Ah, some VERY interesting Trek rumors...

http://www.greatlink.org/dcisV2.asp?url=http://www.greatlink.org/shownewsitem.asp?item=5506

My sister actually told me about this yesterday, but I didn't have a chance to find a link to the story until today.

I like the idea of going after Damon for the role. He would be able to bring in a new group of fans that may not watch Star Trek at all.[/quote]

Yes, but just think where that could lead to....Affleck as Spock :hot:

I just watched Insurrection for the first time (I had seen parts of it a looong time ago) and I have to say that I really, really enjoyed it. I don't know why everyone dogs on this movie.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']Anyone else excited about the Ender's Game movie?[/quote]
I am. The book has the best ending of anything I've ever read.

[quote name='2Fast']I just watched Insurrection for the first time (I had seen parts of it a looong time ago) and I have to say that I really, really enjoyed it. I don't know why everyone dogs on this movie.[/quote]

I thoroughly enjoyed it as well. I think most people didn't care for it because it seemed liked a glorified TV episode, but I thought it was solid stuff.

And Affleck as Spock would be pretty scary, lol.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I thoroughly enjoyed it as well. I think most people didn't care for it because it seemed liked a glorified TV episode, but I thought it was solid stuff.

And Affleck as Spock would be pretty scary, lol.[/quote]

That's exactly why I liked it. Anyway, I think that pretty much all the movies feel like amped up episodes. I loved the morality and messages shown in the movie, while I thought its only real downfalls were some goofy, out of place spots of humor and things happening too fast near the end. I like how Picard is contrasted from First Contact, where everyone finally gets to see his crazy side, to Insurrection where ol' noble Picard is back once again. Oh, and F. Murray Abraham rocks!

I think I'm going to rename this thread "2Fast and Guile babble about Star Trek" or into just a Star Trek thread; it really failed to set CAG on fire.

I made out like a bandit the last two days at Goodwill. They got a BUNCH of Star Trek paperback novels all for 75 cents each!

I ended up getting over 20 books for under $16. I almost have my TNG collection complete (with the numbered novels anyway).

The Next Generation
  • 1: Ghost Ship (Diane Carey), 1988
  • 2: The Peacekeepers (Gene DeWeese)
  • 3: The Children of Hamlin (Carmen Carter)
  • 4: Survivors (Jean Lorrah), 1989
  • 5: Strike Zone (Peter David)
  • 6: Power Hungry (Howard Weinstein)
  • 7: Masks (John Vornholt)
  • 8: The Captain's Honor (David Dvorkin and Daniel Dvorkin)
  • 9: A Call to Darkness (Michael Jan Friedman)
  • 10: A Rock and a Hard Place (Peter David), 1990
  • 11: Gulliver's Fugitives (Keith Sharee)
  • 12: Doomsday World (Carmen Carter, Peter David, Michael Jan Friedman, Robert Greenberger)
  • 13: The Eyes of the Beholders (A.C. Crispin)
  • 14: Exiles (Howard Weinstein)
  • 15: Fortune's Light (Michael Jan Friedman), 1991
  • 16: Contamination (John Vornholt)
  • 17: Boogeymen (Mel Gilden)
  • 18: Q-in-Law (Peter David)
  • 19: Perchance to Dream (Michael Jan Friedman), 1992
  • 20: Spartacus (T.L. Mancour)
  • 21: Chains of Command (W.A. McCay and E.L. Flood)
    [*]
    22: Imbalance (V.E. Mitchell)
  • 23: War Drums (John Vornholt)
  • 24: Nightshade (Laurell K. Hamilton)
  • 25: Grounded (David Bischoff), 1993
  • 26: The Romulan Prize (Simon Hawke)
  • 27: Guises of the Mind (Rebecca Neason)
  • 28: Here There Be Dragons (John Peel)
  • 29: Sins of Commission (Susan Wright), March 1994
  • 30: Debtors' Planet (W.R. Thompson), May 1994
  • 31: Foreign Foes (Greg Brodeur), August 1994
    [*]
    32: Requiem (Michael Jan Friedman and Kevin Ryan), October 1994
  • 33: Balance of Power (Dafydd ab Hugh), January 1995
  • 34: Blaze of Glory (Simon Hawke), March 1995
  • 35: The Romulan Strategem (Robert Greenberger)
  • 36: Into the Nebula (Gene DeWeese)
  • 37: The Last Stand (Brad Ferguson)
  • 38: Dragon's Honor (Kij Johnson and Greg Cox), January 1996
  • 39: Rogue Saucer (John Vornholt)
  • 40: Possession (J.M. Dillard and Kathleen O'Malley)
  • 41: Invasion #2: The Soldiers of Fear (Dean Wesley Smith and Kristine Kathryn Rusch)
    [*]
    42: Infiltrator (W.R. Thompson)
  • 43: A Fury Scorned (George Zebrowski)
  • 44: The Death of Princes (John Peel)
  • 45: Intellivore (Diane Duane)
  • 46: To Storm Heaven (Esther Friesner)
  • 47-49: The Q Continuum (Greg Cox), 1998
    • 47: #1: Q-Space
    • 48: #2: Q-Zone
    • 49: #3: Q-Strike
  • 50: Dyson Sphere (Charles Pellegrino and George Zebrowski), 1999
  • 51-56: Double Helix
    • 51: Double Helix #1: Infection (John Gregory Betancourt)
    • 52: Double Helix #2: Vectors (Dean Wesley Smith and Kristine Kathryn Rusch)
      [*]
      53: Double Helix #3: Red Sector (Diane Carey)
    • 54: Double Helix #4: Quarantine (John Vornholt)
    • 55: Double Helix #5: Double or Nothing (Peter David)
    • 56: Double Helix #6: The First Virtue (Michael Jan Friedman and Christine Golden), August 1999
  • 57: The Forgotten War (William R. Forstchen)
  • 58: Gemworld #1 (John Vornholt), 2000
    [*]
    59: Gemworld #2 (John Vornholt) 60: Tooth and Claw (Doranna Durgin), February, 2001 61: Diplomatic Implausibility (Keith R.A. DeCandido), February, 2001
  • 62-63: Maximum Warp (Dave Galanter and Greg Brodeur), March, 2001
    [*]
    • 62: #1: Dead Zone
    • 63: #2: Forever Dark
I have all the ones except those that are crossed out. I actually have bought some doubles by accident and I'll probably end up putting some on my trade/sale list if anyone is interested.

I have some DS9 and Voyager novels too. Now I just need the time to read all of this.

[quote name='2Fast']Changed to Star Trek topic.[/quote]

That's cool, but I did notice a non Star Trek tidbit on Sci-Fi just now. Dark Angel will be airing Monday. I'm not sure if that is really new news but its the first time I heard of it.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']That's cool, but I did notice a non Star Trek tidbit on Sci-Fi just now. Dark Angel will be airing Monday. I'm not sure if that is really new news but its the first time I heard of it.[/quote]

Yeah, I saw that too. I remember watching the show every once and a while when I was younger and having no clue what it was about - still enjoyed it though.

I also watched Dark Angel back in the day and really enjoyed it. I'll be sure to watch the reruns on Sci-Fi.

Too bad I didn't keep on watching that timeslot after Dark Angel was canceled. I didn't get into Firefly until the last DDD sale, when I decided to blind buy the show. Now it's in my top 5 favorite Sci-Fi shows (along with DS9, new Battlestar Galactica, X Files, and Futurama. If you don't count Futurama as a true Sci-Fi show then replace it with Farscape).

I finally watched Star Trek: Nemesis the other day and like most everyone else, I was disappointed. The visuals and action in the movie are fantastic, but Shinzon and the majority of the plot is lackluster. The end was very sad though, since it's probably the last time we'll ever see the TNG cast together :/

[quote name='Kaijufan']I am. The book has the best ending of anything I've ever read.[/quote]

Yeah, I just about went nuts reading that. Really great ending.

Well, I've decided that I at least want to get all of The Next Generation movies (I already have First Contact). I'm probably only going to buy one a month (because I'm cheap), so I'm wondering which one I should get first.

I'm leaning towards Insurrection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back