Sports Games for the "In-Laws"

keviningeorgia

CAGiversary!
My In-laws will take over my house for a few days which happens every Thanksgiving. Last year when I gave my wife an Xbox for Christmas My Brother in law and Father in law played it NCAA Football on it for 2 days straight. Then About 5 months ago I got ESPN NCAA Basketball 2k5 and we played it when they came over for about 6 hours.

I figure I'll appease them and get a game or two that they would enjoy.

I'm not a big sports game player so don't keep up with it. What 2 or 3 games should I get that they would enjoy? Which is better Madden '06 or NCAA '06? any other good sports games? I thought about Blitz but I don't see my Father in law getting into the "Side" elements of it. Also if there are some hidden gems that I can get on the cheap that's even better.

Thanks,
Kevin

Get ncaa

Madden has a new gimmick passing cone that they will probably not have enough time to get used to to enjoy the game.

inside.jpg
epsn2k.jpg
2k3ball.jpg
2k3.jpg

All under 10 bucks, all fun.

Um, whatever you do get NCAA06 Football. Not only is this the best football game I've ever played, but it's one of my favorite games of all time, yes I'm a big sports game freak and I've probably put over 200 hours into this game, but it's great fun with two users! NBA street would be another suggestion, however if you think they'll shy away from unrealistic action you may want to try NBA 2k6 or NCAA 2k6 depending if you like the college scene better than pro. Please let us know what you pick

I should comment that I've only played a couple of games of Madden, but I just couldn't see Madden pulling me away from NCAA due to the completely ridiculous pass cone (which can be turned off but in doing so also disables precision passing), and the controls for NCAA are SO much better. Hope I helped sway your decision by being a complete fanboy of the NCAA football series(besides 05 because it SUCKED!)

EDIT: ESPN Football 2k5 is also a DAMN good game if you looking for a cheaper game!
EDIT2: All this ranting, has made me decide I will start a new dynasty when I get home from work today....who will be the lucky team?

Don't get Blitz or Deathrow. Both are great games, but your in-laws won't take to it as they are casual, casual gamers. I think that the NFL teams and NCAA teams, and the recognition of these teams and players was a strong drawing point. So I'd say get the new NCAA football game...as has been stated previous the new Madden cones will be more frustrating.

But IMHO, don't get anything. If you aren't a sports fan, these games will be of no value to you after they leave. Just have them play the same games as they did last year. There really is negligible difference/improvement, if they are only playing for max. 6 hours. Or if you want to pick up new titles, just go to your local video store and rent them. No reason to be a bitch and buy a game for them to play with for 6 hours.

Thanks for all the replies.. I think I'll pick up NCAA '06. They are bigger College fans then Pro. My Brother in law tailgates at EVERY UGA home game & my Father In Law is from Ohio and likes Ohio State.. I had also heard about the weird passing in Madden so think it would throw them off.

Also for those that asked “Why do this for your In-Laws?"
They asked for a Christmas List & I always include new games:
GUN,
Matrix: Path of NEO,
Castlevania: Curse of Darkness
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
Stubbs the Zombie
The Warriors

They will hook me up with at least 3 so can't complain plus its fun to watch my stoic father-in-law act like a kid because he is so competitive and won’t quit till he beats at least one of us.

[quote name='javeryh']Football and Thanksgiving are like chocolate and peanut butter[/QUOTE]
It causes allergic reactions to a small percentage of the population?

[quote name='keviningeorgia']Thanks for all the replies.. I think I'll pick up NCAA '06. They are bigger College fans then Pro. My Brother in law tailgates at EVERY UGA home game & my Father In Law is from Ohio and likes Ohio State.. I had also heard about the weird passing in Madden so think it would throw them off.

Also for those that asked “Why do this for your In-Laws?"
They asked for a Christmas List & I always include new games:
GUN,
Matrix: Path of NEO,
Castlevania: Curse of Darkness
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
Stubbs the Zombie
The Warriors

They will hook me up with at least 3 so can't complain plus its fun to watch my stoic father-in-law act like a kid because he is so competitive and won’t quit till he beats at least one of us.[/QUOTE]

I think you'll be very happy with your choice
As far as the other games go I'd go with:
Call of Cthulhu
The Warriors
GUN

I'd stay away from Castlevania as I've only heard bad things about it.

[quote name='FrankySox']EDIT2: All this ranting, has made me decide I will start a new dynasty when I get home from work today....who will be the lucky team?[/QUOTE]
I'm going to be starting a dynasty with Fresno State soon. Post when you pick your team.

[quote name='DT778']I'm going to be starting a dynasty with Fresno State soon. Post when you pick your team.[/QUOTE]

EDIT: I decided to go with Illinois, will only take two years to get them to the Top and I love the strength of schedule I'll have in the Big Ten

bread's done
Back