Sprint Samsung A900 phone..........

Porject D

CAGiversary!
Feedback
159 (100%)
I got an ad from Sprint on this phone and i am pretty interested.
I been using Nextel's phones for years now and i was wondering if anyone have any experience with Sprint. Or anyone here already using this phone please let me know how it is.

Thanks

My friend sells Cell Phones and say the A900 is great. Also in most parts Nextel and Sprint teamed up and are the same company now.

yep, i know Sprint and Nextel joined a while ago.
But i was wondering about the service because i heard a lot of bad things about Sprint before they join with Nextel.

I like the A900 - better than the razor in my opinion.

Although, I think the A920 is better than the A900 since it has more features ... but it's so bulky compared to the A900.

I have this phone and it is pretty damn cool. Battery life is alright, if you charge it every night you shouldn't have too many problems. The one thing that I love about it is the bluetooth and transferring files between my pda. All of my other friends phones can only do headset bluetooth. Oh you can record 42 min of straight video as well. I'd reccomend it definetly

Although the companies have merged, their wireless networks have not. Nextel still runs on the Nextel network and Sprint still runs on the Sprint network. So unless you have good reception with Sprint in your area, I'd pass.

I was with sprint for 3 years, before I switched to nextel a year and a half ago. I was not happy to see nextel and sprint merge/buyout or whatever happened. The customer service sucked at sprint, and to me they seem more interested in getting phones with camera and other shit then they do with building more towers for better reception. I travel from mid coast maine to southern NJ, and my sprint phone would come in/out of reception constantly. The nextel service is better, not great but better.

Actually, I've had two different Spring phones and have had very different experience with both. My first was a free, basic Nokia phone (6016 I think). This was a great phone for calls and I never, ever roamed with it. I got unbelievably clear calls even with one bar. But it didn't have any nice features like camera/video, etc. So I upgraded to a Sanyo 5500 (or something) which was a very nice phone but it roams a lot and the battery dies quickly.

Sprint's customer service has been sucking as of late... they used to be rather easy to work with but now they're crap. My dad has been with them since 1998 and he refuses to chance for some strange reason.

Believe me, a phone isn't reason enough to switch. Make sure you like the service... if I remember correctly, Sprint offers a 30 day trail period in which you can get a phone and test it out. If you don't like it, you can return the phone and cancel the contract for free.

i guess i will wait. From what i know Sprint's reception here is pretty bad.
I am interested in this phone because of Powervision. Are there any other phone company that provide this kind of service as well?

Is there any sites dedicated to A900 users or modders ? I would like to fully utilize the cellphone by using my own ringtones and screensavers

Thanks

The Motorola RAZR V3i is going to demolish the A900. It wont have EV-DO or 3G or any downloadable content unless you pay out the ass for it from Cingular but aesthetically, nothing compares with the RAZR (especially with no stupid ass audio controls on the front of the phone, which ruin the A900's look) and the V3i is actually an updated version of the RAZR, whereas the V3c is just an EV-DO V3 with a better camera and video recording, that's it. Sprint is hardly the best carrier, I think Verizon and Cingular are just as good, if not better. There are worse phones than the A900 though and it's still a good phone. It's just not the best if you think about it.

[quote name='gforce007']The Motorola RAZR V3i is going to demolish the A900. It wont have EV-DO or 3G or any downloadable content unless you pay out the ass for it from Cingular but aesthetically, nothing compares with the RAZR (especially with no stupid ass audio controls on the front of the phone, which ruin the A900's look) and the V3i is actually an updated version of the RAZR, whereas the V3c is just an EV-DO V3 with a better camera and video recording, that's it. Sprint is hardly the best carrier, I think Verizon and Cingular are just as good, if not better. There are worse phones than the A900 though and it's still a good phone. It's just not the best if you think about it.[/QUOTE]

It sounds like you're more interested in style of features... what good is a pretty face if you can't use it?:) As I see from specs, the A900 and RAZT V3i are very similar except the A900 is a bit lighter and a lot cheaper at the moment (since there are very few deals with the V3i). This is more of an opinion matter more than anything though since both phones are great.

Japan still owns when it comes to cool phones though...;)

[quote name='gforce007']The Motorola RAZR V3i is going to demolish the A900. It wont have EV-DO or 3G or any downloadable content unless you pay out the ass for it from Cingular but aesthetically, nothing compares with the RAZR (especially with no stupid ass audio controls on the front of the phone, which ruin the A900's look) and the V3i is actually an updated version of the RAZR, whereas the V3c is just an EV-DO V3 with a better camera and video recording, that's it. Sprint is hardly the best carrier, I think Verizon and Cingular are just as good, if not better. There are worse phones than the A900 though and it's still a good phone. It's just not the best if you think about it.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the V3i isn't all that. Granted it may look a little better, but it still feels flimsy. I'd go with the A900.

A900 FTW.

Feels flimsy? Umm no. The V3i compares very favorably with the A900. If you want to pay out of your ass for music from the sprint store or downloadable content on the sprint power vision network on your A900, then go right ahead. For the purposes of calling people, Im sure both phones get the job done. I dont prefer style over features, I like both in a phone. The advantages of the A900 are more carrier based, because of the content, than anything having to do with the actual network or features. Personally, I wouldnt buy anything like VCast or Sprint Power Vision stuff or even MEdia net stuff from cingular. On the basis of the actual phones, I just prefer the V3i because it looks better, has expandable memory, and has equivalent features. Obviously, if you dont wanna waste money cancelling a contract if ur still in the middle of one with sprint, the A900 is easily the phone I would get if I had to be with sprint. But if you've got some carrier mobility, Id go with Cingular in a few months when they get the V3i.

[quote name='gforce007']Feels flimsy? Umm no. The V3i compares very favorably with the A900. If you want to pay out of your ass for music from the sprint store or downloadable content on the sprint power vision network on your A900, then go right ahead. For the purposes of calling people, Im sure both phones get the job done. I dont prefer style over features, I like both in a phone. The advantages of the A900 are more carrier based, because of the content, than anything having to do with the actual network or features. Personally, I wouldnt buy anything like VCast or Sprint Power Vision stuff or even MEdia net stuff from cingular. On the basis of the actual phones, I just prefer the V3i because it looks better, has expandable memory, and has equivalent features. Obviously, if you dont wanna waste money cancelling a contract if ur still in the middle of one with sprint, the A900 is easily the phone I would get if I had to be with sprint. But if you've got some carrier mobility, Id go with Cingular in a few months when they get the V3i.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I wish the A900 had an expandable memory slot, but I still love it. I'd probably take verizon over sprint just because sprint's cs isn't all that great.

I've had the A900 for a couple of weeks and I've been extremely impressed with it.

The screen on it is amazing, the EV-DO performance on it is quite impressive and it's hardly a flimsy phone. Much more solid than the RAZR I've seen in person. Camera pics look pretty good, and you can get a cellphone version of Opera for it, which blows away the built-in OpenWave browser. BT is pretty well done, though I've not tried it with a BT headset. Tethering to my Palm TX is seamless, once they put me under the right PV plan.

Battery life isn't as good as other phones, though with only a 800mA battery, you're not going to get as much as you'd like out of it. Extra batteries are only $40 on the Samsung online store, and with a car charger for the car and 2nd wall charger for work, it's not been as bad as it was in the beginning. Yes, there's no TransFlash slot, though it would've been very hard to fit that in there.

I think the buttons are OK, since they're nice to tap and bring up the display from being dark. One change from the Sanyo's I've had is that they would flip to audible ringer when plugged into a charger, where the A900 needs to be toggled to audible ringer/vibrate.

One more thing. If you have a CompUSA in the area and you're a new subscriber to Sprint, you can get it for $99 with the current week's ad, with the $150 Sprint new subscriber, plus an additional $100 rebate on top of it.

bread's done
Back