Square-Enix White Engine now multiplatform -360, Wii

Kaijufan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
The Square Enix White Engine being used to make Final Fantasy XIII was actually designed for multiple platforms, and has been renamed Crystal Tools. Crystal Tools platforms mentioned are 360, PC and the Wii.

So what does everyone think? Is Final Fantasy XIII going to be coming out on the 360/PC, or are those platforms going to get different games?

It's also interesting that they are working on a Wii version of the engine, I really hope SE increases their Wii support. I would love to see Kingdom Hearts 3 on the Wii.

Prolly different games for the 360 and PC, but I can't see FFXIII hitting those systems. If FFXIII did make it over to the other systems though, I'd still most likely pick up the PS3 version simply because it'd likely be a slightly better.

they said it's only PS3 exclusivity for like months already, it's not going be on xbox 360 and PC sales are dead with the pirating of PC games

(XBOX 360 FAN)

White Engine was always multiplatform.

Its not multiplatform on the wii.

Certain scaled down parts of the engine can run. Thats it.

You act like this is news.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']The White Engine shouldve been PS3 exclusive for at least a little while.

And yes, this is news.[/QUOTE]

you're horribly not making any sense whatsoever, who cares if it's not going to be multiplatform? it's not going anywhere else anytime soon other then the PS3 and I do hope you're seriously not counting the cell phone game as part of the package because it's only exclusive to japan with their phone technologies.

We've only just seen the beginning of not only games that are using the engine formerly known as the White Engine, but FF13 branded games.

Dont expect every one to be a PS3 exclusive.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']We've only just seen the beginning of not only games that are using the engine formerly known as the White Engine, but FF13 branded games.

Dont expect every one to be a PS3 exclusive.[/QUOTE]

but that's not related to this subject, it's only opinion and exaggeration.

and for common sense i'm sure you know square has spent nearly all its budget on FF13 so any talk of any other games being produced with the crystal tools would be irrevelant right now

[quote name='Zhanmadao']
and for common sense i'm sure you know square has spent nearly all its budget on FF13 so any talk of any other games being produced with the crystal tools would be irrevelant right now[/quote]

Uh, actually the situation should be the EXACT OPPOSITE of that.

Having spent all their money, they need projects with shorter development cycles than can bring in more revenue that they can then blow however they like.

Like Dragon Quest Swords, or DQ remakes while waiting for 9, or more games on the Wii.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Uh, actually the situation should be the EXACT OPPOSITE of that.

Having spent all their money, they need projects with shorter development cycles than can bring in more revenue that they can then blow however they like.

Like Dragon Quest Swords, or DQ remakes while waiting for 9, or more games on the Wii.[/QUOTE]

another irrelevant subject which doesn't involve that white engine? lol just give it up it's going nowhere right now and wont be til FF13 is out which will most likely be around near end of 2010 or 2009

and dragon quest has been in production longer before FF13 has started production of the game

by production I do mean FF13 was in process of script/design before dragon quest was in full production of the game already and it was horrible game apparently due to the low budget

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']There will be a SE Wii game out that made use of Crystal Tools functionality WELL BEFORE FF13 sees a release ANYWHERE.[/QUOTE]

really? I'd like to see some information about that :)

and I do seriously hope you're not expecting the same textures used in FF13 for that wii game because that's not even possible and was said "scaled down"

Square needs cheap cash ins and cash grabs that nintendo fanboys will eat up, so they can fund the dev of the real next gen role playing games.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']The White Engine shouldve been PS3 exclusive for at least a little while.

And yes, this is news.[/quote]

This is not news as it was known that square was working on a next-gen MMO and it was for all three major platforms (PC/PS3/360) and that it was going to be using the White Engine.

It has been known for along time that the White Engine would be multiplatform.

It is absolutely stupid to think otherwise, and it would be a waste of a publishers time to only make an engine run on one platform. It would be wasted software engineering time.

Imagine if Unreal 3 only ran on 360, or if source only ran on a pc, or if renderware only ran on a ps2.

Its absurb to think an engine was developed for one console, and without the abilty to be able to be scaled to others.

[quote name='InuFaye']Square needs cheap cash ins and cash grabs that nintendo fanboys will eat up, so they can fund the dev of the real next gen role playing games.[/QUOTE]

which just literally points out this engine isn;t going to be multiplatform anytime soon and I wouldn't even consider the games that WII will or not get with this engine because it'll most likely have graphics far less impressive as FF13.

and by the way.. I hope you do know Obama hates video games (ers).

Development cycles are so much shorter off the HD platforms, that I bet they could start from scratch in 6 months and still have a game completely done and on shelves before FF13 is released.

Its already going to slip with their public excuse being that they DQ9 has priority. Meanwhile, I suspect FF:CC has undergone the FOREVER treatment and has been scrapped/ mostly rebuilt with the new tools.

Because of the opaqueness of the development process, we dont know how long they have had the capability to scale down White Engine assets for other use, if that is indeed what the current status of the Crystal Tools are.

Of course I'm not expecting the same textures.

At the risk of sounding like a huge dink and getting told not to post in this thread if I have nothing constructive to say...

Meh.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Development cycles are so much shorter off the HD platforms, that I bet they could start from scratch in 6 months and still have a game completely done and on shelves before FF13 is released.

[/QUOTE]

Sure, but it wouldn't be anywhere near the same quality. Any developer can make a Wii game in 6 months or less, and that has been proven over and over again.

Square enix is making a small game for that wiiware thing. However, I don't know if its using the formerly known as the white engine engine.

[quote name='The Crotch']At the risk of sounding like a huge dink and getting told not to post in this thread if I have nothing constructive to say...

Meh.[/quote]

CAG iz suryus biznass buttdick!

Am I the only one who think it is retarded to think that an engine should be exclusive?

People, Final Fantasy XIII (Proper) is not going multiplatform, and it never will, until Square remakes it in 15 years. It's stupid to think so.

3rd Party Engines are ALWAYS multiplatform. ALWAYS. We've known for a long time the White Engine, or Crystal Tools as it's now called, has been for PS3 and 360. The news here is that it's (the engine) coming to Wii, nothing more.

[quote name='KingBroly']3rd Party Engines are ALWAYS multiplatform. ALWAYS. We've known for a long time the White Engine, or Crystal Tools as it's now called, has been for PS3 and 360. The news here is that it's (the engine) coming to Wii, nothing more.[/QUOTE]
Umm, not quite. The one major multi-platform game S-E is making right now (and that has been announced) is The Last Remnant, and they're using a third-party engine for that (Unreal Engine 3, I believe).

The White Engine did start out as being PS3-specific, and was initially built to make FFXIII, though the company did intend to use it for future PS3 projects.

bread's done
Back