SSX - Demo out now! Game releases 2/28/12 :: IGN Review 9.0

Sorry my friend, but I doubt this game will be more enjoyable then a great blowjob. I am kind of interested in this title after watching the Winter X Games in 3D.

I completely forgot about this and now I'm extremely excited. Oh lawd, so many memories of the old SSXs. Does it have bigass multiplayer? I sure hope so.

The only SSX game I've played was Blur on the Wii and I can't wait for this iteration after following all the coverage on Giant Bomb.

[quote name='AlphaPanda']I completely forgot about this and now I'm extremely excited. Oh lawd, so many memories of the old SSXs. Does it have bigass multiplayer? I sure hope so.[/QUOTE]

Yes the Multiplayer seems crazy deep.

[quote name='Matt Young']Destro, all you have to do is edit the original post and you can change the thread title.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I tried and didn't see an option

Yeah I'm eagerly anticipating the demo, not the full game. Not now, worst time for this game to come out. Will pick it up probably this summer though.

I played the demo a little bit this morning and really like this game. I think they did a great job of capturing the feel of the original SSX games and gave them a good update. I can't wait for the full game to come out.

Nice, looking forward to checking the demo out tonight....

Matt was finally able to change the thread title, didn't realize you had to "go advanced" to do so.

Hoping I'll get a chance to try out the demo tomorrow morning when I get home from work. Thanks for the heads up on it.

I queued up the demo, but might not get a chance to try it until later this week. Hopefully tonight, but we don't have the fastest internet....

[quote name='n4styn4t3']I'm pretty sure the game got pushed back. Releases against Mass Effect 3. Interesting strategy.[/QUOTE]
Ummm, 2 totally different game types. Not everyone is into the ME series.

Downloading the demo right now but yeah not a good time for this game to release since I'm playing Reckoning atm with Mass Effect 3 right around the corner as well.

^Really? the online play is ridiculously deep.

For me, anyway, the worth of a game is judged by how much playing time you can get out of it. This game feels almost infinite with the different offline modes, and the different online modes. That's without even factoring in any possible DLC.

All I know is I played the older games in the series constantly, tons of hours. And there wasn't even an online mode.

Had lots of fun with the demo. Immediately noticed the Camo+Krooked song in there, good to hear some electronic music that fits well with the SSX style.

[quote name='not2worried']Anyone notice some slight pausing while playing? Would happen a few times a game. But its only a demo. So not worried yet.[/QUOTE]

I did not notice any pausing at all during my play.

I was also curious why you thought this was a less than $40 game. As others have stated, this game play felt very deep to me and I thought they did a great job with bringing back the feel of the first few SSX games. I'm not trying to call you out, just interested in finding out if you discovered something that doesn't work well that I didn't notice.

[quote name='ufskenney']I did not notice any pausing at all during my play.

I was also curious why you thought this was a less than $40 game. As others have stated, this game play felt very deep to me and I thought they did a great job with bringing back the feel of the first few SSX games. I'm not trying to call you out, just interested in finding out if you discovered something that doesn't work well that I didn't notice.[/QUOTE]

Np, it more of a lack of time thing then game quality. They did a good job. In fact, the wife was enjoying playing the demo ( she loved the earlier ones) and so did my 7 year old... So I might pick it up on release.

Probably picking it up day 1 depending on my employee discount and / or if I have any decent games to trade in. Demo really threw me back into the classic SSX style, especially when you go into Tricky mode and Run DMC's "Tricky" comes on again! Couldn't have been an SSX game without it!

[quote name='not2worried']Np, it more of a lack of time thing then game quality. They did a good job. In fact, the wife was enjoying playing the demo ( she loved the earlier ones) and so did my 7 year old... So I might pick it up on release.[/QUOTE]Same situation for me. My son and I loved all the SSX games last gen, and we both liked the demo, so I'll definitely be picking this up. I'm still fairly early on in Skyrim, though (I've already decided to hold off and ask my wife for ME3 for my birthday in May) so lack of time is my problem, too. I've got a ton of points on Goozex; I think I'll try to get an early spot in the queue for this one and just get it when I get it.

Enjoyed the demo enough but holy shit having to watch the trailer AND go through the tutorial every time you start the demo has soured me on it just from a general principle perspective. Will probably wait until it hits around 40 bucks.

The fact that they bothered to bring back the Run DMC for Tricky mode was neat though.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Enjoyed the demo enough but holy shit having to watch the trailer AND go through the tutorial every time you start the demo has soured me on it just from a general principle perspective. Will probably wait until it hits around 40 bucks.[/QUOTE]

yeah that sucks but I'm sorta happy they make you do the tutorial each time. I need to embed the controls in my head.

But it's not ideal.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Enjoyed the demo enough but holy shit having to watch the trailer AND go through the tutorial every time you start the demo has soured me...[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I don't know why you have to go through the tutorial each time. That was a poor decision on their part since it puts a hurdle to me playing this demo a lot more. The better choice would have been to ask you if you want to do the tutorial again. I wonder if they did it because they thought more people would do the trick stick and would need the extra practice.

Only thing I can think of is maybe they don't allow save files for demos (no idea if that's actually the case) and they wanted to ensure that everyone does the tutorial since it is not really something most people could pick up and play. So it's mandatory, and with no save file it can't tell if you've already done it. Regardless, it was a poor solution. They should definitely shove the tutorial in the player's face hard, but it still should be optional.

Got a 9 from IGN, I guess Multiplayer is just the World Challenges and all that. For whatever reason, I got it stuck in my head that there was some sort of free-roaming multiplayer, I guess not.

Edit: Just played the demo and gave it my focus...oh my. This is magnificent.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='not2worried']Anyone notice some slight pausing while playing? Would happen a few times a game. But its only a demo. So not worried yet.[/QUOTE]

Was it the rewind feature by chance? I haven't played the demo yet but I've heard about the rewind feature being a pain control scheme wise

[quote name='slickkill77']Was it the rewind feature by chance? I haven't played the demo yet but I've heard about the rewind feature being a pain control scheme wise[/QUOTE]

Triggered by the LB button, I did not see any pausing effects in the game unless I activated it intentionally. I think it's cool that they brought this racing mechanic into SSX along with the balance to dock points if you use it.:applause:

At first the game was killing me but now I got a good feel. Got the highest scores on my friends list so far. Day one buy for me, even with the lack of multi-player I am loving it.

My copy has shipped from newegg, allegedly. i liked the racing part of the demo, but not the trick runs part. Stringing together rapid button/stick presses to get a higher score isn't something I'm terribly good at - my trick moves are pretty random LOL - but racing down and doing some tricks to get Tricky mode and then boost, now that is still fun. I doubt I'll rank highly on the leaderboards, but I can't wait to receive my copy.

If anyone has any games to trade into GameStop, they are giving you 30% extra trade-in when you buy SSX and an extra ten dollars if you trade in 3 games. I'm hoping to get it for $30-35.

Was doing a Bulldog run and actually ended up grabbing onto the helicopter at one point, which was pretty awesome. Saw that in the trailer but didn't think I'd ever pull that off. Trying to beat the best times for this game is addicting, KBurns and I have a little rivalry going. :)

What's everyone's best scores so far? I've got 12,853,989 on Bulldog and 2:07.63 on JT2 goin so far.

I really lucked out with that, almost crashed a bunch of times but stabilized at the last second. It's really just about keeping your combo up so that when you finish it up it'll multiply a shit-ton. Make sure you take advantage of Tricky and Super Tricky as well, very important.

Destro, accept my damn friend request, will ya? :)

bread's done
Back