SSX (Xbox 360,PS3) $39.99 @ gamestop

when gmaestop drops a price this quick, does that mean it isn't selling well?

also does this game have a big learning curve? some people seem to love it and others hate it

Just over two weeks later $40? Man, gotta stop buying games on release week I say. I think Borderlands 2 will be my last launch title.

I have this on my list of games I would like to play during the summer. Should be able to snag this for $20 or less at this rate.:cool:

[quote name='htz']I have this on my list of games I would like to play during the summer. Should be able to snag this for $20 or less at this rate.:cool:[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly.

lol jeez that was fast.

you can always get games from red box guys, you can be there day 1 too :p

i might pick it up down the road, from what i played it was ok but not $60 good

$20 please :D

I wonder if the trend of quick price cuts will bleed over to the Vita. I'd hope, but I think not because of the niche positioning of it so far.

not too surprising considering how it looked its sad when a next gen version of a title doesnt look as good as the 3rd version of the game on ps2 i was expecting it to look alot better.

Have you idiots who are saying it's terrible actually played it? Or is this mostly "I heard it sucks and it's EA so I'm jump on the bandwagon and say it sucks.. huh..huh"

wait, considering some of the people who posted the negative remarks and their trackrecord of being douchebags, nevermind.

[quote name='confoosious']Have you idiots who are saying it's terrible actually played it? Or is this mostly "I heard it sucks and it's EA so I'm jump on the bandwagon and say it sucks.. huh..huh"[/QUOTE]

I'm playing it right now actually. Got it from Gamefly thankfully. I'm just so damn disappointed because I loved the SSX series on PS2.

They clearly didn't know how to go about the difficulty in this game though. They assist you in doing tricks like a mother holding a child's hand, but then give you ridiculously difficult AI and cheap death traps on all of the tracks. They also force you to use annoying things such as headlamps, oxygen tanks, and ice picks because they're necessary for some of the levels.

I'm not happy with my experience thus far and will be sending it back soon.

[quote name='Tsel']I'm playing it right now actually. Got it from Gamefly thankfully. I'm just so damn disappointed because I loved the SSX series on PS2.

They clearly didn't know how to go about the difficulty in this game though. They assist you in doing tricks like a mother holding a child's hand, but then give you ridiculously difficult AI and cheap death traps on all of the tracks. They also force you to use annoying things such as headlamps, oxygen tanks, and ice picks because they're necessary for some of the levels.

I'm not happy with my experience thus far and will be sending it back soon.[/QUOTE]

If I won every race right off the bat, the game would suck.

by the way, wasn't referring to you when I said the trackrecord of somet of the people.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='confoosious']If I won every race right off the bat, the game would suck.[/QUOTE]
I agree, but it's just that the game aids you in the trick department and then ultimately cheaps out on the tracks and opponents and I don't like that. The trick aspect was the best part of SSX and I don't like the feeling of knowing I'm gonna land damn near every trick. It takes the fun out of that aspect.

Maybe I overexaggerated when I called this game a piece of shit and said I wouldn't pay $20 for it. I wouldn't pay that much for it because it just frustrated me more than anything, but it's not a bad game per se, it just didn't live up to MY expectations and because of that, I felt the need to rant about it.

I didn't think you were referring to me. As far as I know, we haven't had any altercations on the site. :lol:

hmm.. i bought the game for full price from them on the 3rd. thoroughly enjoying it, but does anyone know if they have some sort of price adjustment policy? since it's within 30 days, is there any way to get $20 back?

edit: reading their return policy on the back of my receipt. it says unopened merchandise can be returned for a refund with a receipt within 30 days. could i potentially buy a new copy at $40 and return it with my old receipt to get my $60 back?

[quote name='lokizz']not too surprising considering how it looked its sad when a next gen version of a title doesnt look as good as the 3rd version of the game on ps2 i was expecting it to look alot better.[/QUOTE]

Having logged over 100 hours with SSX 3 and about 40 hours into the new SSX so far, I could not say I disagree more. SSX 3 uses a low resolution wallpaper for its horizon, has a slight issue with draw distance, occasionally has a framerate that stutters, and often uses the same 2 to 3 tree models cut and pasted several times in a given scene. The new SSX has none of these issues. While the new game will not win any awards for graphics, it is still a noticeable improvement over its predecessors.

If there is anything to criticize about the game, it's that the controls and the gameplay have been vastly oversimplified (as Tsel had mentioned) and several levels have pitfalls that you can't see coming. If you stick to the more forgiving levels the game becomes a blast to play.

Figured I'd chime in as well. I think it's a pretty awesome game. Paid $60 for it and don't regret it at all. I agree with the others, landing tricks is way to fucking easy. A full combo down the mountain is simple (on the easier mtns). The only think that's tough are the races, getting all golds will take sometime since 1st place always seems to get 10-20 seconds ahead of the pack.

[quote name='Thrinn']Having logged over 100 hours with SSX 3 and about 40 hours into the new SSX so far, I could not say I disagree more. SSX 3 uses a low resolution wallpaper for its horizon, has a slight issue with draw distance, occasionally has a framerate that stutters, and often uses the same 2 to 3 tree models cut and pasted several times in a given scene. The new SSX has none of these issues. While the new game will not win any awards for graphics, it is still a noticeable improvement over its predecessors.

If there is anything to criticize about the game, it's that the controls and the gameplay have been vastly oversimplified (as Tsel had mentioned) and several levels have pitfalls that you can't see coming. If you stick to the more forgiving levels the game becomes a blast to play.[/QUOTE]

The controls feel too loose to me compared to SSX3 but I'm not sure how anyone can say the graphics are poor.

Anyone try using the Tony Hawk peripheral with this? I imagine it would be hilariously bad.

[quote name='cancerman1120']Ooooh....this has $20 written all over it.[/QUOTE]

My exact thoughts, even from when they originally announced the game itself.

[quote name='confoosious']The controls feel too loose to me compared to SSX3 but I'm not sure how anyone can say the graphics are poor.

Anyone try using the Tony Hawk peripheral with this? I imagine it would be hilariously bad.[/QUOTE]
Would it even work?

[quote name='asaraa']I'll probably pick it up at this price, but who puts out a snowboard game at the END of winter?[/QUOTE]

hahaha. My only complaint is they should've taken 6 more months to do online MP (real) and released it next winter.

[quote name='Brother Daz']Would it even work?[/QUOTE]

Probably not but worth a try.

[quote name='Brother Daz']Figured I'd chime in as well. I think it's a pretty awesome game. Paid $60 for it and don't regret it at all. I agree with the others, landing tricks is way to fucking easy. A full combo down the mountain is simple (on the easier mtns). The only think that's tough are the races, getting all golds will take sometime since 1st place always seems to get 10-20 seconds ahead of the pack.[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly. It feels like you can cancel your Super Uber trick a fraction of a second before you hit the ground and still land it successfully. The risk/reward balance on the trick system is just not what it should be. It's like they got so close to making the best game in the series and then and went and screwed up the simple things.

The online geocache system is surprisingly addictive.

People need to shut up complaining. It's a great game. I've been playing since Tricky. Haters. The only thing I'm complaining about is the soundtrack. Multiplayer was an issue, but they were right making it like a facebook post as I almost never play online with my friends with everyone being in different places/time zones for college and me working. It's great.

Don't forget, there's potential DLC tha can expand it even more

[quote name='malfuncti0n'] could i potentially buy a new copy at $40 and return it with my old receipt to get my $60 back?[/QUOTE]

I think that will work. I have done it in the past.

[quote name='confoosious']Have you idiots who are saying it's terrible actually played it? Or is this mostly "I heard it sucks and it's EA so I'm jump on the bandwagon and say it sucks.. huh..huh"

wait, considering some of the people who posted the negative remarks and their trackrecord of being douchebags, nevermind.[/QUOTE]

wow people dont like a game you like that just cant be allowed!!!!!! you people apologize now or else
he will probably cry
. decaf man decaf.

and yeah ive played it and as much as i loved the previous games, even on tour, im not impressed with this one. hell i still own ssx,ssx tricky and ssx3 so you can toss the whole hate ea bullshit out the window.

[quote name='Thrinn']Having logged over 100 hours with SSX 3 and about 40 hours into the new SSX so far, I could not say I disagree more. SSX 3 uses a low resolution wallpaper for its horizon, has a slight issue with draw distance, occasionally has a framerate that stutters, and often uses the same 2 to 3 tree models cut and pasted several times in a given scene. The new SSX has none of these issues. While the new game will not win any awards for graphics, it is still a noticeable improvement over its predecessors.

If there is anything to criticize about the game, it's that the controls and the gameplay have been vastly oversimplified (as Tsel had mentioned) and several levels have pitfalls that you can't see coming. If you stick to the more forgiving levels the game becomes a blast to play.[/QUOTE]

i think the controls are the one major improvement they made for me but graphics wise the game imo should look better. i felt like its been this long since weve had an ssx game and this is what they give us? ill get it once it drops for me its not worth 40 or 60.

STFU Trolls. The game is a REBOOT. Yes its not the same game as before. Get over it. Its still a fantastic game on its own.

Great price. Would be price matching it if I hadn't price matched TRU for it already.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']I think Borderlands 2 will be my last launch title.[/QUOTE]

Same.

I can also wait for this to drop to

[quote name='malfuncti0n']hmm.. i bought the game for full price from them on the 3rd. thoroughly enjoying it, but does anyone know if they have some sort of price adjustment policy? since it's within 30 days, is there any way to get $20 back?

edit: reading their return policy on the back of my receipt. it says unopened merchandise can be returned for a refund with a receipt within 30 days. could i potentially buy a new copy at $40 and return it with my old receipt to get my $60 back?[/QUOTE]

yeah they would have no way to tell that you got a different copy so long as you did it another day or at another store they wouldn't even have reason to be suspicious

I enjoyed the game when I rented from Redbox. The controls are a little simple, but that makes it easier to pick up and play. The harder parts are some of the levels. I had a tough time with some of the mountains in Patagonia.

For me Snowboarding games went: Coolboarders 2, Coolboarders 3, Coolboarders 4 (did not like), SSX Tricky. From memory I liked Coolboarders 2 the best, but do not think it is a game that would age well. And I felt the thing that set SSX apart was the flow of the game. From what I played during the demo, the flow on most mountains was alright, but when adding in so many specific obstacles it takes away from the flow.

The game is a lot of fun. I played $45 shipped from newegg and had it release day. When you add in the tax, the gamestop deal is nearly the same, so I really can't complain. I payed a dollar or 2 more, but got to play it since release.

bread's done
Back