Stalker Call of Pripyat $20 on Steam

Newman6818

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
The Call of Pripyat was just released on steam today with a 20 dollar price tag for anyone who has purchased the original STALKER or Clear Sky through steam before. For everyone else, the price is $30. I was really surprised to find it this cheap since amazon.com seemed to be the only place selling the game in the US and it was 40 bucks there.

Probably wait for it to drop as well. Despite being an intensely loyal fan of the series, I purchased them elsewhere and thus am excluded from the $20 deal. With many others getting to enjoy that price, I'll probably wait for a sale myself. I have no intention of paying more considering I own all their previous games through other services (Gamersgate and D2D).

[quote name='Anhmeister']So, even though I can put the promo version that goes for $19.99 in my cart the actual price will be $29.99?[/QUOTE]

Trying to checkout with the $20 "Loyalty Promo" version in your cart will display an error message about it requiring an original game on steam that you don't own (probably reused from expansion pack warnings). It doesn't let you complete your order.

No idea what happens if you buy it as a gift and send it to yourself. Probably pops up an error when you try to redeem it. I suppose if you wanted to try that you wouldn't be out anything -- you could always pick up Clear Sky for $10 and just end up having payed the non-loyalty price but gotten an extra game.

I hope they do more promotions like this in the future. Considering all the games I've bought for $5 or less, I'd be eligible for just about every promo. But since I still haven't played the first two, I'll have to wait on this one.

I didn't really like the first STALKER game since it felt too rough around the edges and had a really poor gameplay focus but I actually played and finished Call of Pripyat. It's a lot more polished and streamlined in some areas that makes the game a lot more friendly to newcomers than the other STALKER games.

The game is also a standalone package and you don't have to have played the first two to enjoy it.

If you like games with a dark atmosphere with open-ended world, I suggest you give this game a try.

I was going to wait on this since it was $40 at Gamestop / Amazon and I assumed would be the same on Steam... but $20 right out the gate?

I'm very tempted... yea, Stalker and Clear Sky have been on sale numerous times on Steam before, but I would be surprised if CoP went on sale quickly considering it's already low starting price.

I went ahead and snagged this for 20. Reviews are fairly positive and I was a fan of the first game (which I got for 2 dollars on Steam and that led to this deal). I'm sure it'll be cheaper before too long - but I am happy with 19.99!

[quote name='Slade']I didn't really like the first STALKER game since it felt too rough around the edges and had a really poor gameplay focus but I actually played and finished Call of Pripyat. It's a lot more polished and streamlined in some areas that makes the game a lot more friendly to newcomers than the other STALKER games.

The game is also a standalone package and you don't have to have played the first two to enjoy it.

If you like games with a dark atmosphere with open-ended world, I suggest you give this game a try.[/QUOTE]

Hey thanks. I got the first for $2 and with the Complete 2009 mod, it's pretty cool but I agree, rough around the edges... so I can't get myself to want to complete it. Nice to see you played and already finished Pripyat haha. How's the gunplay? Something wasn't right about it with the first game, wondering if that's been cleaned up some?

Can't recommend this game enough, especially at this price. The series has come a long way and this is the one that finally got it right.

any word on when/if this deal will expire? stalker is in my backlog, but $20 seems like a good deal since it got solid reviews. it is very tempting...

I'm actually playing through Clear Sky right now. I had no intention of buying CoP, since I paid full price on CS and hadn't really touched it in all this time. But after seeing that they had a benchmark, I wanted to see how it would run on my PC. Watching it run through got me all wanting for that universe again. I tried playing CS previously (I picked it up from steam when it was first available for sale), but having an older PC, combined with the initial beating I took from the AI resulted in the gametime being brief and it ended up being put on the backburner for a good while. CS wasn't as well received as SoC, but so far, I'm enjoying it, even with all its bugs and quirks and it made me look around online for a copy of CoP, to no avail.

When I exited the game today, I noticed my steam icon was flashing and when I clicked on it, wham! there's CoP for sale. Suffice to say, I was happy, especially since I can't seem to find a physical copy of it for sale anywhere in Canada.

The good thing about the deal is that it's indefinite so there's no real rush in having to buy it right away.

Wow, that's a pretty nice deal. Buy Stalker for $2 during the holiday sale and get the sequel for $10 off? Win-win. But yes, I agree with everyone else that I'm not entirely swayed by the deal yet. I really liked the original Stalker way back when it was first released and got almost all the way through it before I ended up having to stop due to my PC having hardware issues, but after that I was never able to get back into it to finish it or restart it (especially since I've upgraded my PC since then). I'd like to at least play through the original and Clear Sky first before I get this one, but I'm having a hard time convincing myself I would.

On another note though, what do those that have played it think of it think of the game? Clear Sky seemed like a pretty big disappointment to people, but this one seems to be getting much more positive reviews.

So glad I didn't jump on this at Target for $39.99. I was really tempted too, since ... hey, $10 less than most new PC releases. Luckily, Steam comes through once again ... and really, at $20 I feel like that's a great price for a brand new release and even if it drops to $10 as a sale price or bundle, this is a nice way to support the developers. The Stalker series has always been a little bit more 'Indie' than some of the other franchises it shares similarities with, so I'll probably grab this tonight.

On another note, I think this is going to be a better buy than Metro 2033 ... what do you guys think? I was excited by the premise of that game, but from the clips I've seen, it doesn't quite look like it's going to deliver the way I had hoped it might.

bread's done
Back