Feedback
21 (100%)
Don't skimp on this one; we all want the sequel! :D

Reviews!

IGN - 7.4
1UP - B+
GameSpy - 4/5

29698-star-ocean-first-departure-eternal-edition-psp.jpg

Check out the original cover art for a neat comparison.

Star_Ocean_SFC.jpg

First few minutes of gameplay
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmXasoa1m4I[/media]

Last edited by a moderator:
Safe to say we're getting the sequel, it's already listed on the website, and they already have a translation from the PS1 days (thought they'll probably use a new one.) I'll pick this up, but not right away.

Edit: Hell, Second Dep. already has a release date, Jan 6 '09.

I'm definitely buying this, but it probably won't be this week, even though it's been one of my most anticipated games since it was announced for Japan. Just don't have much time for games at the moment, so seems silly to buy it when I'll have no time to play it.

Have the japanese version and played through it. Was quite awesome in my opinion and I hope the localization keeps it just as awesome. Especially the private actions with the characters like Welch.

Definitely getting this at some point, but I think I'll hold off a little until my "games to get through" stack shrinks a little. Between some DS games and Fable 2 coming out, I know I'm not going to get to this until the holidays at the earliest.

/tk

How many endings are in this game? I know that Star ocean Second Story have over 80+ endings. I want to know, so I can get most of them in fewest amount of play through. I made an attempt on star ocean for psx, but the information was way too much for me to learn.

I'm definitely getting the game, but it will have to wait until the end of the month (I just don't play handhelds all that much these days). I can't wait though. :D
[quote name='yukine']Wow that looks really awesome. I love the theme and how it isn't turn based. :drool:[/QUOTE]Oh I just love turn based combat. :p ;) But I've always enjoyed Star Ocean combat also.

Loved Star Ocean the Second Story, couldn't get into Star Ocean 3 however. Don't have a psp though. Oh well, I think there's a Star Ocean game coming to the 360.

GameInformer mag gave it a 7 out of 10. In summary: Gameplay and plot show their age; not much surprising or engaging, but worth a look by TriAce fans or those longing for old-school JRPG from the PSOne era.

PSP Fanboy review also rated it 7 out of 10.

I've never played a Star Ocean game before and since I'm on the last battle or two in Yggdra Union, I went ahead and reserved it yesterday. Looking forward to playing it!

I played an hour of this game and it seem pretty good. Voice acting, cut scenes and cosmetic redesigns are well done. But the combat, is good, but not great. It feels very unpolished when you compare this to any modern or last generation Tales series. Every time you get hit, you get stunned for brief period of time, sort of like Grandia I. This can either hurt or help you. You can easily trap bosses with this technique. Or sometimes your AI teammate is too stupid to avoid it, and they get trap themselves when fencing against multiple enemies. You have to bail them out sometimes. I wish there are more skill hot keys in this game. You get two compare to your typical four in Tales game. Most of battle are short and sweet. Making it a perfect fit for handhelds.

I got this today, it's awesome! It's like I'm playing Star Ocean 2 again, except it's Star Ocean 1.

Hard to explain...just get it! =)

I'm about 2 hours or so in, enjoying it quite a bit.

The whole talent system is a little hard for me to grasp though... can anyone help explain the talents and what that does in regards to skills?

Edit: I think I've got it, do talents just make it easier to level up certain skills because it then costs less SP? Is there a way to gain talents that your character doesn't have to begin with?

I remember playing the translated ROM of this game years ago (never completed the game) but I would like to play this on a handheld sometime. For whatever reason, I remember Marvel Frozen the most. I don't need this right away though.

[quote name='yukine']I'm about 2 hours or so in, enjoying it quite a bit.

The whole talent system is a little hard for me to grasp though... can anyone help explain the talents and what that does in regards to skills?

Edit: I think I've got it, do talents just make it easier to level up certain skills because it then costs less SP? Is there a way to gain talents that your character doesn't have to begin with?[/QUOTE]

Do you mean learning skill? The ones you can purchase at shops?

The effects depends on which skill point you distributed. It's sort of like Bioware games. Things like item creation, cook, increase your base stats , decrease sp cost, combat skills and many others. The more points you put will cause a strong effect on that particular skill.

I know in Star Ocean 2 some skills can enable you to get really strong weapons early in game.

could of got this for around 27 shipped when MSFT was giving 30% cash back

hopefully have it in hand

monday from gamefly. love to have it in hand saturday but the SOBS pushed the shipping date back to friday

[quote name='Master Shake']Just a heads up, this game is only $30 at CC the week of the 26th.[/QUOTE]

Hm, I have about 30 bucks to spend. Should I go trade in a few games and still pay that at GS, or just wait till next week and pay cash.... decisions decisions.

[quote name='Master Shake']Just a heads up, this game is only $30 at CC the week of the 26th.[/QUOTE]

I dont see it in the listings .. you sure its going to be 30

where do you see it listed at 30

Video Games:

New Release Games:

Fable II >>>> 360 >>>>> $59.99 $$$$

Golden Axe: Beast Rider >>>> PS3 / 360 >>>>> $59.99 $$$$

Dead Space >>>> 360 >>>> $59.99 $$$$

Saints Row 2 >>>> 360 >>>> $59.99 $$$$

Brothers In Arms: Hell’s Highway >>>> 360 >>>> $59.99 $$$$

Far Cry 2 >>>> PS3 / 360 >>>> $59.99 $$$$

Dead Space >>>> PS3 >>>> $59.99

Saints Row 2 >>>> PS3 >>>> $59.99

Brothers In Arms: Hell’s Highway >>>> PS3 >>>> $59.99

Little Big Planet >>>> PS3 >>>> $59.99 $$$$

Bioshock >>>> PS3 >>>> $59.99 $$$$

SOCOM U.S. Navy Seals: Confrontation >>>> PS3 >>>> $59.99 $$$$ includes headset

Spider-Man: Web Of Shadows >>>> PS3 / 360 >>>> $59.99

Spider-Man: Web Of Shadows >>>> Wii >>>> $49.99

High School Musical 3 Dance >>>> Wii >>>> $49.99

My Sims: Kingdom >>>> Wii >>>> $49.99 10TC Available 10/28/08 – 2 PM

Midnight Club: Los Angeles >>>> PS3 / 360 >>>> $59.99

Motor Storm: Pacific Rift >>>> PS3 >>>> $59.99 Available 10/28/08 – 2 PM

Legendary >>>> PS3 / 360 >>>> $59.99 SHIRT

Wii Music >>>> Wii >>>> $49.99

Fallout 3 >>>> PS3 / 360 >>>> $59.99 $$$$ GUIDE Available 10/28/08

Fallout 3: Collector’s Edition >>>> PS3 / 360 >>>> $79.99 $$$$ GUIDE Available 10/28/08

SHIRT Free T-Shirt with purchase of Legendary

10TC 10 Free character trading cards with purchase

$$$$ Free $10 gift card with purchase

GUIDE Free Strategy Guide with purchase of Fallout 3

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Nintendo DS Games / Accessories:

New Super Mario Brothers >>>> $24.99

Tinker Bell >>>> $19.99

Guitar Hero: On Tour Bundle >>>>> $39.99 (Reg. $49.99) ****

Nintendo DS Gaming System >>>> $129.99 CASE

VERGE DC Adapter / Car Charger // WEB ID VGDDCA >>>> $6.99

VERGE Screen Protectors For DS // WEB ID VCDSCR2 >>>>> $6.99

CASE See Store Note Section for details

**** Save $10 plus free headphones with purchase // Headphones are MCZ M0V024100 // Headphones are a $9.99 value

XBOX 360 Games / Accessories:

XBOX 360 Arcade Gaming System // WEB ID 882224770118 >>>> $199.99 ****

XBOX 360 Pro Gaming System // WEB ID 882224734479 >>>> $299.99 ++++

XBOX 360 Elite Holiday Gaming System Bundle // WEB ID 882224734653 >>>> $399.99

XBOX 360 2.4 GHz Wireless Controller >>>> $44.99

XBOX 360 Wireless Adapter // WEB ID 882224035682 >>>> $89.99

++++ Includes 2 free games: LEGO Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures and Kung Fu Panda // Free game value = $99.98

**** Includes 5 free arcade games plus Sega Superstar Tennis // Tennis game = $39.99 value[/b]

Playstation 3 Games / Accessories:

Dualshock 3 Wireless Controller // WEB ID 98050 >>>> $54.99

Blu-Ray Remote Control for PS3 // WEB ID 98046 >>>> $24.99

Datel Headset for PS3 // WEB ID DUS0243 >>>> $19.99

Bundle Games / Accessories:

See $15 iTunes Card Deal in Store Notes Section

Guitar Hero: World Tour (Game Only) >>>>> PS3 / 360 >>>> $59.99

Guitar Hero: World Tour (Game Only) >>>>> Wii / PS2 >>>> $49.99

Guitar Hero: World Tour (Guitar Bundle) >>>>> PS3 / 360 / Wii >>>> $99.99

Guitar Hero: World Tour (Guitar Bundle) >>>>> PS2 >>>> $89.99

Guitar Hero: World Tour (Tour Band Bundle) >>>>> PS3 / 360 / Wii >>>> $189.99 ????

???? Limited quantities // while supplies last // Minimum 2 per store

PC GAMES:

Far Cry 2 >>>> $49.99 ****

Nancy Drew: The Haunting Of Castle Malloy >>>> $14.99

Red Alert 3 >>>> $39.99 Available 10/29/08 – 2 PM

I have seen the CC ad, and I can CONFIRM THE $30 SALES PRICE for Star Ocean PSP. It is on page 10, directly next to the "Legendary T-shirt promo" in the bottom corner. It is on sale for $29.99 (reg. $39.99). Great deal for a new release. Go go go!

[quote name='fatbeer']Do you mean learning skill? The ones you can purchase at shops?

The effects depends on which skill point you distributed. It's sort of like Bioware games. Things like item creation, cook, increase your base stats , decrease sp cost, combat skills and many others. The more points you put will cause a strong effect on that particular skill.

I know in Star Ocean 2 some skills can enable you to get really strong weapons early in game.[/quote]
Well there are Talents as well, I'm guessing it makes it easier to level up related skills? Like if I have "Taste" talent, I guess Cooking would require less SP to level up?

Can you gain talents or are you just stuck with the ones you get? And are they randomly generated?

tempted to run out tomorrow and buy it and then PM it sunday but not sure if the ad is just locally or nationwide. why would not it be listed in the weekly post

guess i wait till sunday and see... Rondo of swords will just have to hold me over till then

[quote name='slidecage']why would not it be listed in the weekly post
[/quote]Speedy probably just missed it. The ads are not different depending on where you live.

Wow. Pricematch at Best Buy+my $20 rewardszone certificate makes this a buy then!

Ugh, somehow my save corrupted on me. There goes about 7 hours of gameplay.

Anyone have a save around the time where you visit Astral?

[quote name='yukine']Ugh, somehow my save corrupted on me. There goes about 7 hours of gameplay.

Anyone have a save around the time where you visit Astral?[/QUOTE]

Freaking gamefly pushed this game back to the 28th of OCT. Just another question you got to wonder if gamefly is about to go belly up cause they cant afford all of the games anymore

i would run out and buy it SUNDAY BUT 2 things

1.... What star ocean came out on the PS 1 i paid full price for that and could NOT stand it. played it for around 2 hours and never played it again... still sitting on my bookshelf

2.... with chrono trigger coming in 4 weeks and there is a 99% chance i will buy that.

I would rather have CT then this game... I doubt i could buy this game and resell it for a good chunk back.

Most of the voice acting in this game is atrocious.... and not in the hilarious way SO2's was.

EDIT: A little further in, it's getting a bit better. The main characters aren't too bad. I'm sure my boyfriend will insist I play with headphones though (he's a voice acting Nazi).

[quote name='yukine']Ugh, somehow my save corrupted on me. There goes about 7 hours of gameplay.

Man that sucks! Look around the net for a save.

Is there any strategy involved with the battle system? I am naturally inclined to flank whichever enemy my ally is attacking but now I don't even bother and constantly mash X since just running up to the guy and attacking achieves the same effect.

[quote name='yukine']Well there are Talents as well, I'm guessing it makes it easier to level up related skills? Like if I have "Taste" talent, I guess Cooking would require less SP to level up?

Can you gain talents or are you just stuck with the ones you get? And are they randomly generated?[/quote]

Talents don't effect Sp cost. Well they didn't in SO2. in SO2 you had a better chance a successful cooking if you had "taste", and so forth. the talents randomly come about while you are using the skills. You have a higher chance of getting talents if the group is singing (super skill). As for SP cost, SO2 had a skill that lowered the cost of the other skills.

Ok, so talents just make crafting and other item creation a better chance at being successful?

Anyway, if anyone has a save around the time of Astral or after the delivery at Portmith then let me know.

I just delivered the "package" to the shop keep in Haute and am off to find the supposed hidden cave. also
I got Ilia's cloths free from the mayor, sent the traveler in Haute North, reunited the couple in Portmith, and got Cyuss to join the party. Also haven't spent a penny yet.
Not sure of any of that matters to you.

Spoiler tag because someone out there might want to learn it ALL on their own.

EDITED: for details (Cause I love Star Ocean. . . well not the third one.)

Yeah you just connect your PSP to your PC via USB, and then I believe in the PSP folder is a SAVE folder and find the right save folder and copy it over to your desktop. Then you can upload it via mediafire: http://www.mediafire.com/

The Star Ocean save folder is (ULUS10374SO10000)

Gotcha. Knew about connecting to PC, but didn't know if CAG had attachments in PMs or anything. Ill set up an account tomorrow after work. Sorry for the wait, and thanks for the info.

Is that the place after you beat the pirate and set sail to new continent? My save file is bit after that. I'm in the next city with the arena. I think I have another save near the pirate boss.

Here is save file if you want it.
http://www.zshare.net/download/50380167a9b394f7/

bread's done
Back