Star Trek 2009 Blu Ray (HAS to be a deal somewhere)

[quote name='djkerbyrock']Amazon has it for $19.99, but that isn't a deal at all.[/QUOTE]

I know the request was for a BD, but the Amazon Video on Demoand version is on sale for $9. Might be useful to someone that wanders in this thread.

[quote name='dcm1602']Anyone got a deal on this ?

I been looking all over the week. 10-15$ would be incredible[/QUOTE]

Seriously, I've been refreshing all the deal sites and DVD/Blu-ray sites this week, hoping for a sub-$15 deal on this.

I have been looking as well with no luck. I haven't been able to find the blu-ray box sets for any kind of discount either (original series or original movies). I think demand on everything Star Trek lately has had a hand in keeping prices high.

Probably not going to find it sub-19.99 anytime soon. If you really only have 10-15 bucks to spend, you're gonna have to settle for the DVD, because the Blu is nowhere to be found. For purkeynator, the single versions of the blu-rays of the old flicks are 7.99 at Amazon and BestBuy right now, but they only have the even-numbers mostly (a.k.a the good ones).

Well, I just picked it up for $14.99 at Target with the coupon, but YMMV. I had to visit a few stores and it didn't come up in any of their computers. I finally got a cashier who gave me a manual discount.

[quote name='mikon']Well, I just picked it up for $14.99 at Target with the coupon, but YMMV. I had to visit a few stores and it didn't come up in any of their computers. I finally got a cashier who gave me a manual discount.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I'll check it out today.

[quote name='mikon']Well, I just picked it up for $14.99 at Target with the coupon, but YMMV. I had to visit a few stores and it didn't come up in any of their computers. I finally got a cashier who gave me a manual discount.[/QUOTE]

just an honest question...in the end, was it worth $5 for you to go to all those stores, and spend time with cashiers to get the coupon to work?

I used to do that shit in the past, but it got old..and my time was worth more than what I was saving.

[quote name='gsr']just an honest question...in the end, was it worth $5 for you to go to all those stores, and spend time with cashiers to get the coupon to work?[/QUOTE]
I was thinking the same thing to myself, driving around. Thing is, after I went out and got denied at the first store, I would have wasted gas and time for nothing if I came home empty handed. It's not like I was driving an hour to each one, they were all about 10-15min away from each other.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='doughazelwood']Supposedly an unadvertised special at some Best Buy stores for $7.99. There is a thread concerning this over at slickdeals.[/QUOTE]

I know that Best Buy has Movie 2 and 4 of the original Star Trek on sale for $7.99 but i doubt the new movie is on sale for this much.

[quote name='rmb']I was suprised we didn't have our own thread on this. Someone gonna make it?[/QUOTE]

It's on the stickied blu-ray coupon thread.

Coupon works well, I got Gremlins for $7.99 yesterday, no override needed.

Why not just wait until next year for the price to come down? It's a new movie so it's highly priced. They make most of their money the first couple weeks of a DVD/BD release. After a couple months they'll lower the price to entice others to buy (those such as yourself that thought that 20 bucks was too high). Also consider the fact that it's Star Trek. Yes it has appeal to a large number of people but in all honesty, it's no Disney's Up or Wolverine. It's got a small number of enthusiasts and a much larger number of people that like the sci-fi genre in general. Both of those numbers are dwarfed by those people that have kids (Up) for instance.

Just be patient.

[quote name='typical guy']Why not just wait until next year for the price to come down? It's a new movie so it's highly priced. They make most of their money the first couple weeks of a DVD/BD release. After a couple months they'll lower the price to entice others to buy (those such as yourself that thought that 20 bucks was too high). Also consider the fact that it's Star Trek. Yes it has appeal to a large number of people but in all honesty, it's no Disney's Up or Wolverine. It's got a small number of enthusiasts and a much larger number of people that like the sci-fi genre in general. Both of those numbers are dwarfed by those people that have kids (Up) for instance.

Just be patient.[/QUOTE]
Actually, movies seem to have te best deals right at release. Then they are higher for quite some time. Then they may drop. Many take forever.

Best I could manage was $14.99 yesterday at Target B&M, $19.99 @ Target - $5 coupon for any BR purchase.

Not sure if it's still $19.99 or not in-store.

[quote name='rmb']Actually, movies seem to have te best deals right at release. Then they are higher for quite some time. Then they may drop. Many take forever.[/QUOTE]

especially bluray...they don't get the standard dvd drops.

Usually dvd comes out..week 1 it's avialable for 12.99 on sale somewhere. Then it goes back up to 19.99. Wait 3 months, you see it for 9.99. Wait 6 months, it's 7.99 or even as low as 4.99.

Bluray comes out....it's on "sale" for 19.99. Then it goes back up to 22.99 or 24.99. Wait maybe a year or two and it drops to 12.99. Hopefully this pattern will change and blurays will get cheaper. The release date sale prices are still too expensive for my taste.

What are the chances of a director's cut coming out with an English DD 5.1 track for those of us without TrueHD DD receivers? I've read about the disappointment with being downconverted to Dolby Pro Logic on the Blu without the full setup. Is it that bad?

The special features from the DVD 2 disc don't contain ALL the same behind the scenes extras. My single disc copy is still sealed pending return. JJ Abram's commentary sounded like this isn't the definitive version despite the changes already made to the theatrical release.

[quote name='Hibiwa']What are the chances of a director's cut coming out with an English DD 5.1 track for those of us without TrueHD DD receivers? I've read about the disappointment with being downconverted to Dolby Pro Logic on the Blu without the full setup. Is it that bad?[/QUOTE]

My LG BH-200 downconverts the TrueHD track to DD 5.1 audio.

The director has said that he doesn't want to create a director's cut, so I wouldn't hold out for a better version. Best to just save up for a nicer surround sound receiver.

Must of missed that part. They sounded unsure at times and surprised at how things turned out for the better with some of their edits, etc.

I can probably live with whatever sound gets passed through the Onkyo -- the production stuff is what intrigues me. All that old school goodness in filming without heavy CGI and using models and camera trickery. Goodness.

If I can find a copy at Target and use the coupon, it'll be worth not experiencing TrueHD DD. Bought the reg DVD for $10 with the CVS/itunes deal so a few bucks more for those pod extras would be nice.

Of course I'd also have to get a stand-alone Blu-Ray player and bigger/better TV to go along with that nicer surround.

I am getting two copies, one for me and another as a present to one of my brothers for his birthday.

I am going to try to price match at Wally because I have a gift card.

Thanks for the bump to this thread!

bread's done
Back