Star Trek (2009) DVD $10

Or the economy sucks so stores are trying to draw people in.

In this case, Amazon is aggressively price matching WalMart, who I believe struck with $10 pre-orders first. WalMart's $10 preorders include free shipping, but I read on another forum that they can't ship the preorders to California for some reason. Target.Com also has $10 preorders including Star Trek with free shipping.

Though you have to pay tax, Walmart or Target seem like a better place to pre-order this if you can get their free shipping. If you're already going to spend $25 or more though, you might as well go with Amazon's preorder.

I'm trying to get this as a birthday gift for someone the day it comes out, but same day shipping costs make it so I might as well get off my ass and go to the store. I'm hoping Target will have this for maybe $15 for the first week.

[quote name='postulio']seems DVD is on its last legs. dying format going out with a bang.[/QUOTE]

lol?

It's a new price model being tested by Target, Walmart and Amazon, for the most popular SD DVD's-initiated by the studios themselves.

Standard DVDs still have a ways to go before it dies out. Not everyone owns a Blu-Ray player.

I imagine Standard DVDs having 5 more years in them, if not more.

The jump between VHS and DVD was massive.

The jump between DVD and BluRay is not. Therefore DVD will be around for many years to come.

[quote name='knotfan123']The jump between VHS and DVD was massive.

The jump between DVD and BluRay is not. Therefore DVD will be around for many years to come.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I remember my first DVD was Saving Private Ryan and I was awestruck by the quality over VHS. My jump to Bluray wasn't nearly as memorable. My screen is too small to really tell the difference, as I am running a Sharp 26 inch 720p while my brother is running a 46 inch Sony at 1080p. Now there is a more noticeable difference.

Love this Star Trek deal. Walmart basically declared that they want to "win" the holiday season and Target/ Amazon are stepping up to challenge them. Gotta love consumerism at its best! Great find!

I am a Blu-Ray fan and will be buying Star Trek in that format, but like many others have already said. DVD isn't going anywhere anytime soon, everything gets cheaper to produce the longer and more widespread it is. Standard DVDs are cheap to print these days and for something that will sell in droves like Star Trek they can easily charge $10 for the DVD and probably sell quite a bit more than they would have at $15.

I don't really ever see Blu-Ray completely taking over DVD as the standard format. I actually would have to say digital download services for rentals and purchases will eventually take a big percent of the market.

It turns out this special $10 offer was only pre-orders. Once the DVD is out at retail, the $10 is not available. I checked this with Amazon which, like Target, had matched Walmart's $10 madness. Now that the DVD is out at retail, Amazon's price has jumped to $15.99. I went to Target to buy it and the retail price is also ~$15.99. Now I'm not sure if I'll get it at all.

So don't wait on those other special $10 pre-order DVD releases coming out like Harry Potter or Angels & Demons or Terminator:Salvation.

bread's done
Back