Star Trek Online Collector's Edition 9.99 @ Amazon

Leggo

CAGiversary!
http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Online-Collectors-Pc/dp/B002V1PTO8

I don't think this has been posted yet, but apologies if it has. This got brought down to the same price as the standard edition a day or two ago, and at $9.99 it might even be worth it for people who already have it to get the promo items like the TNG and DS9 uniforms. Just a heads up.

Edit: it looks like turls posted this a few days before I did as a $19.99 DotD which 3 days later came down to $9.99 and was noted by him in that thread, but by then it was already in the deal graveyard. http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273294 I didn't mean to snipe or repost that deal because I didn't think to look in the graveyard, but he found it first and I'll give credit where credit is due. Thanks turls!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='contej85']Tempting, does it include free playtime?[/QUOTE]
It should. This is the retail Collector's Edition. There's no reason to believe it wouldn't.

A side: There's rumors that the game is going Free-to-Play around the holidays. Granted, this info is from a Gamestop Manager. Who knows how reliable that is. All said though, I wouldn't be surprised.

Wow... at that price it's worth getting to just screw around with for a month.

I found on google "Purchase of the game game comes with a free 30 days"

[quote name='FadeToOne']Wow... at that price it's worth getting to just screw around with for a month.

I found on google "Purchase of the game game comes with a free 30 days"[/QUOTE]

Yes it is.

I'm not a Star Trek fan, but my husband is. I'm tempted to buy him this--the wife in me says "buy it for him as a present," but the gamer in me says, "No no no! He'll never get off YOUR computer!"

I'm pretty sure amazon pricematches themselves within 30 days if you contact customer service.

Also, yes, all of these MMOs come with 30 days of playtime.

[quote name='Leggo']I'm pretty sure amazon pricematches themselves within 30 days if you contact customer service.

Also, yes, all of these MMOs come with 30 days of playtime.[/QUOTE]

They did but a few years ago they stopped. There was a huge CAG thread lamenting the loss :)

heh I'm still laughing at my gf for buying the 90 dollar CE at release for such a horrible horrible game. It is sad when the CEO of the company comes out and basically says STO sucks.

[quote name='kosmos13x']heh I'm still laughing at my gf for buying the 90 dollar CE at release for such a horrible horrible game. It is sad when the CEO of the company comes out and basically says STO sucks.[/QUOTE]

It's gotten better with the weekly episodes, I've personally loved it and I've had it since the beta.

[quote name='kosmos13x']heh I'm still laughing at my gf for buying the 90 dollar CE at release for such a horrible horrible game. It is sad when the CEO of the company comes out and basically says STO sucks.[/QUOTE]

do you have a link to that? it sounds like an interesting read...

if they go free to play i bet there will some MAD people - wasn't there a thing where you could buy a lifetime subscription for $200 or so?

[quote name='bg2001']do you have a link to that? it sounds like an interesting read...

if they go free to play i bet there will some MAD people - wasn't there a thing where you could buy a lifetime subscription for $200 or so?[/QUOTE]

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-08-24-cryptic-we-need-to-improve-for-neverwinter

Yes I know they improved a small bit since release, but after checking it out it is still nowhere great. I'm cool with them trying to improve in the final hours (it seems) of the game, but my main problem is the crap they put customers (including me) between the time period of beta to the first couple of months of release. In the end, it was all about money (they got a millions of dollars bonus from atari if they released it on a certain date) and should of been delayed for at least half a year more. Just like AoC, don't release a purposely half assed game with the intent of trying to fix it many many months later. First impressions are key for an mmo and obviously Cryptic has not figured that out yet after their 2nd mmo.

I've also heard rumblings of a f2p model coming soon. I feel bad for anyone who paid the lifetime fee if this is true.

I didn't have an amazing time playing this during beta, but it was fun, and glitchy as heck, which added to the fun. Giant bomb did a first look on it that is worth watching if you're on the fence. I can't remember if it was during their beta footage or during my experience, but at some point I think I beamed down to the planet and the game forgot to load my captain character, instead loading up my ship model instead. Pretty hilarious looking having the ship run around and shoot people in the butt.

Certainly worth $10 to see what they've been up to since then if I get to dress up my Trill science officer in DS9 wear. :)

http://www.giantbomb.com/star-trek-online-beta-set-phasers-to-fun-part-01/17-1871/

[quote name='Spacepest']Yes it is.

I'm not a Star Trek fan, but my husband is. I'm tempted to buy him this--the wife in me says "buy it for him as a present," but the gamer in me says, "No no no! He'll never get off YOUR computer!"[/QUOTE]

No, it's not.

I'm a huge MMO fan and a huge Star Trek fan and this game fails at both. So much wasted potential. :(

[quote name='fester']No, it's not.

I'm a huge MMO fan and a huge Star Trek fan and this game fails at both. So much wasted potential. :([/QUOTE]

Wasted potential is a good description.

Personally, I didn't find it that terrible, and there were some parts that I really enjoyed (Doomsday Weapon, the time portal, and several other missions that brought back memories of the show). But the overall play of the game left me somewhat bored. Part of this was simply due to the shortage of content upon release and part was due to the lack of depth of the gameplay. No real crafting, problems with Fleet play (you couldn't do a Fleet mission with your own Fleet...duh!), and so on.

My understanding is that Atari forced Cryptic to release the game prematurely with the stupid idea that they could just add content and other features after the initial release, But what they failed to understand is that you need enough content and gameplay options to keep people interested long enough for you to get the new content out before they leave the game for something else. Cryptic just has too small of a team working on this game to make the number of players hit critical mass, so now it just struggles along on life support.

The are continuing to release updates and improve gameplay, but it just seems to be too little, too slowly. I feel bad for the developers working on the thing because it seems to be a losing battle. And even if they released a massive and awesome update, too many players feel burned to come back to the game.

But for $10 and maybe a month or two of sub fees you can have some fun with the game that it is, just don't go into it expecting it to be WoW in space or anything like that.

they basically ignored an already perfect idea. Bridge Commander was an amazing game, and it's still cool even now. It still has a following, amd fans are still making mods, ships, character skins and mission add ons., and my complete used copy could bring 100 some days on ebay. The game made you feel like were really were running the ship. And cryptic and atari just ignored it. It would have made an awesome mmo.

luckly, fans witha clue are making a spiritual successor to BC, and still be free and open sourced

google Star Trek Excalibur. It's looking like A fan made game with movie quality graphics

As one of the 'idiots' who paid full price for this on day 1 (actually, beta and bought a lifetime sub), this is a great deal overall.

Now, is the game all that, sadly no. I am a huge Trek fan (see avatar) and I have to admit the game has needed much help since day 1. The good news is that there was some turnover and a new guy is running the show and making promising changes. So, each week there is a new "episode" of content for people to enjoy and every few months there are new massive updates for features, content, bug fixes, etc. This approach seems to work best, plus they really do listen to fan feedback on their forums. For instance, in their online-store, you can buy some features/upgrades for your account, but thanks to fan feedback, they are going to start making most of this unlockable in-game, so if you don't want to (or can't) buy it, you can at least earn it.

The ship combat is good, but the ground combat has been flagged for being mediocre by MMO standards, so they are working on new things to switch it up. So for instance, instead of just clicking on the enemy you want to take out, they are working on adding a manual targeting system, to give it more 'life' - instead of just clicking constantly.

Here is the recent 'state of the game' that was posted and it shows the commitment they have to make this game much better (and yes, this is coming from the most jaded gamer): http://www.startrekonline.com/node/2089

One of the most notable things (from my point of view) is that the game feels more like a generic MMO shoe-horned to be Trek-like. The reality is that this game runs on the Champions Online engine (modified of course) and the dev team only had 2 years to put this game together. Given the time constraints - I think they did about the best they could.

So in the end, this is not the cream-dream of living in a Trek universe we all wanted, but rather a Trek themed MMO that offers a good-very good ship combat and decent-good ground combat. The dev IS releasing content each week and is also listening to what the majority of fans want. They are cool enough to admit where they have fucked up and how they fix those fuckups.

For those wondering if it looks good, it has some of the best graphics I have seen from an MMO when it comes to the space combat and the locations in space. Now, the ground combat is getting better, but at first it was so super generic. While ground combat has improved a bit (like less generic looking worlds !) it has a ways to go.

Sound - its Trek, you'll recognize the sounds of phasers, musical queues, etc.

Story is all over the place, but has some serious hardcore fan service going on - you will encounter all kinds of characters from the show and even ancestors of. Here is where much dev time was saved, were it seems most of the dialog is carried out through a profile pic and text box in the middle of the screen. No real interaction - in fact, your bridge is pretty useless and so is the interior(s) of your ship. That all being said, this is the one of the areas the dev team has been working on, infact there were no interiors (other than a bridge that was only for show) until recently. So for now, interiors and bridges are mostly meeting places for friends/fleets I guess.

Overall, I am happy I bought the lifetime sub and play it from time-to-time. Each time I log in the game looks and plays a little better (even added achievements a few months ago). I think you can still purchase a lifetime sub, which also gets you many things free in-game/C-Store. I think the sub was $300, so yeah, make sure you like it first :cool:

If I was not a Trek fan, I would have given this game a 6 on day one - for anyone who likes/loves Trek that score would have been a 7-8 depending on how much you love the IP I guess.

For anyone needing help in game, send me a pm and I can try to help, but I'm no expert. also, I would recommend subscribing to the STOked video podcast (or watch www at their site) and start watching those to get some great pointers.

DDD-

The game has really gotten way better since launch. It's easily worth $10 to play for a while.

So! Anyone buying it, please be cool and let me get a referral from you. Just PM with your email address and I'll send a referral link. Then when you get the real game, I'll get a referral and unlock new stuff in the game.

aacaf57e2d2877b8679e893ead724751e2d880fd_full.jpg

Also don't forget we have a CAG fleet in the game... Join at http://www.cagfleet.com

[quote name='drduranduran']As one of the 'idiots' who paid full price for this on day 1 (actually, beta and bought a lifetime sub), this is a great deal overall.

Now, is the game all that, sadly no. I am a huge Trek fan (see avatar) and I have to admit the game has needed much help since day 1. The good news is that there was some turnover and a new guy is running the show and making promising changes. So, each week there is a new "episode" of content for people to enjoy and every few months there are new massive updates for features, content, bug fixes, etc. This approach seems to work best, plus they really do listen to fan feedback on their forums. For instance, in their online-store, you can buy some features/upgrades for your account, but thanks to fan feedback, they are going to start making most of this unlockable in-game, so if you don't want to (or can't) buy it, you can at least earn it.

The ship combat is good, but the ground combat has been flagged for being mediocre by MMO standards, so they are working on new things to switch it up. So for instance, instead of just clicking on the enemy you want to take out, they are working on adding a manual targeting system, to give it more 'life' - instead of just clicking constantly.

Here is the recent 'state of the game' that was posted and it shows the commitment they have to make this game much better (and yes, this is coming from the most jaded gamer): http://www.startrekonline.com/node/2089

One of the most notable things (from my point of view) is that the game feels more like a generic MMO shoe-horned to be Trek-like. The reality is that this game runs on the Champions Online engine (modified of course) and the dev team only had 2 years to put this game together. Given the time constraints - I think they did about the best they could.

So in the end, this is not the cream-dream of living in a Trek universe we all wanted, but rather a Trek themed MMO that offers a good-very good ship combat and decent-good ground combat. The dev IS releasing content each week and is also listening to what the majority of fans want. They are cool enough to admit where they have fucked up and how they fix those fuckups.

For those wondering if it looks good, it has some of the best graphics I have seen from an MMO when it comes to the space combat and the locations in space. Now, the ground combat is getting better, but at first it was so super generic. While ground combat has improved a bit (like less generic looking worlds !) it has a ways to go.

Sound - its Trek, you'll recognize the sounds of phasers, musical queues, etc.

Story is all over the place, but has some serious hardcore fan service going on - you will encounter all kinds of characters from the show and even ancestors of. Here is where much dev time was saved, were it seems most of the dialog is carried out through a profile pic and text box in the middle of the screen. No real interaction - in fact, your bridge is pretty useless and so is the interior(s) of your ship. That all being said, this is the one of the areas the dev team has been working on, infact there were no interiors (other than a bridge that was only for show) until recently. So for now, interiors and bridges are mostly meeting places for friends/fleets I guess.

Overall, I am happy I bought the lifetime sub and play it from time-to-time. Each time I log in the game looks and plays a little better (even added achievements a few months ago). I think you can still purchase a lifetime sub, which also gets you many things free in-game/C-Store. I think the sub was $300, so yeah, make sure you like it first :cool:

If I was not a Trek fan, I would have given this game a 6 on day one - for anyone who likes/loves Trek that score would have been a 7-8 depending on how much you love the IP I guess.

For anyone needing help in game, send me a pm and I can try to help, but I'm no expert. also, I would recommend subscribing to the STOked video podcast (or watch www at their site) and start watching those to get some great pointers.

DDD-[/QUOTE]

Thanks for taking the time to type all that up! You just convinced me to buy something that I was never planning to in the first place (even though I love the series too). Hopefully I'll see you online when I get my copy!

I was going to drop in here to plug the fleet, but I see East already did. :)

My two cents: Yes, the game does have its issues and of course it doesn't come close to the depth of content that something like WoW has, but I've been in since the beginning and am constantly impressed by how the devs continue to polish and add to what's there. It has improved dramatically since launch. They've been running these weekly featured episodes for the last month which I think is a pretty unique content model and has me excited to see what comes next. (User-generated episode creation is on the list.) It kills me that they didn't have these features out closer to launch because there's a good chance a lot more people would be talking positively about the game.

Anyway, if you're interested and end up picking this up, please check out the fleet or find me (@metaly) in-game--I'd be happy to answer any questions or help you out as you're getting started.

Played the beta for about a week (shortly before beta went offline, so it wasn't early beta) and was bored. God awful game. It's like what Star Wars Galaxies did to the SW franchise (tho SW:G is still a better game than STO). Let's just hope a better Star Trek MMO comes out in the future.

[quote name='Darknuke']Played the beta for about a week [/QUOTE]
Disregard this post.

Anyhow. Drduranduran, eastx and metaly have it dead on. Just picked it up for the same price a few days ago and im enjoying it.

I also played the beta, thought it was pretty fun at times. Didnt get the game when it came out as i was already backlogged on other games, and was playing other mmos at the same time. Guess ill pick it up now to see how it is, and if it goes free to play, all the better.

What are the actual chances of this going F2P? I've seen the comments from the company CEO that he's intrigued by the model that LotR put into place, but after selling $300 lifetime subscriptions, it would seem crazy to go F2P this soon wouldn't it?

Yeah, it was posted well before this thread:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273294

But the mods saw "DOTD" and even though the pricing was actually cheaper than when the DOTD happened, it got moved to graveyard way prematurely.

And besides that, if DOTD pricing is still ongoing (or BETTER in this case days later), it shouldn't be graveyarded.

Title should have been edited instead at the very least.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']What are the actual chances of this going F2P? I've seen the comments from the company CEO that he's intrigued by the model that LotR put into place, but after selling $300 lifetime subscriptions, it would seem crazy to go F2P this soon wouldn't it?[/QUOTE]

I'd hope if they did that there'd be some benefit the lifer's got.

Sorry Turls, looks like you got burned on that DotD. I had no idea this had been a DotD earlier, or that there was such a thing as a deal graveyard, I just searched the deals forum and got no hits so I made a new thread. I figured if I was willing to bite at that price, other people would be too.

I can't resurrect your thread, but I can at least give you credit in the op for what that's worth.

[quote name='Leggo']Sorry Turls, looks like you got burned on that DotD. I had no idea this had been a DotD earlier, or that there was such a thing as a deal graveyard, I just searched the deals forum and got no hits so I made a new thread. I figured if I was willing to bite at that price, other people would be too.

I can't resurrect your thread, but I can at least give you credit in the op for what that's worth.[/QUOTE]

No apology necessary. It was more a complaint about the superficial modding of the thread. I refused to re-post it at that point, so more power to you.

For $10, everyone should give it a go. There is a CAG fleet as metaly mentioned, and we'd be happy to add more fellow CAG'ers to the ranks. The url is cagfleet.com or find me @manlai and @metaly for an invite.

There is one all important requirement if you want into the fleet (besides the soul of your first born, that much is a given), you have to have this crazy desire to actually want to talk to others sometimes and interact with them when you play. I know, crazy, but give it a thought. :)

Just received my copy from amazon today. Was a bit surprised that it also came with the bridge officer pre order bonus as well. Either amazon never sold out its pre order bonus editions, or they all come with it for free.

Yeah, got mine too. Borg Bridge Officer, hello! :D

I was actually on the fence to buy the game at launch specifically for this, so it's a REALLY nice surprise.

I'm with drduranduran, I have a life time sub and the game really has improved alot since launch. I could still see a hard core MMO player doing most of the stuff in a short time. But if you don't blow through the content and explore the game there is alot to do. Also the Devs really love Trek, and there should be improvements in place of Seaon 3 later this year that should vastly improve the game experience.

Anyone who picks it up should do the weekly episodes in the Defara sector. There is a reward if you do them before mid october that you will have to pay for if you wait for the next weekly story arc to start.

bread's done
Back