Star Wars Ep. IV, V, VI Exclusives

Zacharium

CAG Veteran
Feedback
1 (100%)
It seems that almost every vender has its own exclusive for the upcoming re-re-re-...-release of Episodes IV-VI. Here are the ones I know of, but I'm wondering: what else is out there and who's got it?

Target: exclusive concept art mini-posters
Best Buy: exclusive metal cases
Circuit City: exclusive lithographs
Wal-mart: exclusive graphic novels

Also, has anyone heard any concrete prices?

I can tell you that after printing out the tags tonite, Circuit City will be selli ng them for 14.99 a piece. Im definitely gettin them at that price.

If anyone has any other questions i'll check back to the posts.

Ohh and FYI the lithographs are pretty badass and quite large.

[quote name='bill123']I can tell you that after printing out the tags tonite, Circuit City will be selli ng them for 14.99 a piece. Im definitely gettin them at that price.

If anyone has any other questions i'll check back to the posts.

Ohh and FYI the lithographs are pretty badass and quite large.[/QUOTE]

Wtf, that is crazy... $14.99 a piece! And the lithographs too!! How many would you say your store got? Regardless, I'll still be at my CC as soon as they open.

fuck that BB Metal Tin for $59.99... I'd rather save $15 and get some badass lithographs.

TRU has the DVDs at $19.99 but with each you can get a limited edition (shows Star Wars picture) $5 gift card with the purchase.

So you can just maybe pay three seperate times and itll give you 15 bucks back when combined.

This is a dumb question, but do you mean $15 for the entire trilogy, or for each movie seperately?

You get $5 back for every purchase.

So if you buy all three at the same time, you get the $5 card.

But if maybe you choose to buy one a day or if the guys nice enough buy the three seperatly and then you can get a gift card each time.

Only problem is the gift card only works til November.

FYE.com still has them for $12.99 (each, lol) after rebate. Now they have this little ad on the homepage saying "free collectible card set", but absolutely no info can be found for it anywhere...

starwarsgwp_600x100.jpg

I ordered mine from FYE.com on the 6th. They show my order as "already shipped out" on 9/11, with a USPS delivery confirmation number that shows it was delivered to New York on May 31st :oldman:

F.Y.E. = poster child for "Time travel is harmful to society".

As much as I hate to say it, but after the whole Bevise and Butt Head/Prison Break debacle with exclusives, I'm so fucking sick of each store having an exclusive anything.

Hey all they were 15 bucks for each dvd and the lithographs are exact copies of the dvd covers and about the size of a folder . My store (polaris, Ohio) got shit ton of dvds and probably 10+ of each of the three lithographs.

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']As much as I hate to say it, but after the whole Bevise and Butt Head/Prison Break debacle with exclusives, I'm so fucking sick of each store having an exclusive anything.[/QUOTE]

Agreed... I know it's going to be like pulling fucking teeth at Circuit City to try and get the lithographs since they were will tell me "Oh, we don't know where they are" because everyone in that store is stupid.

And only 10 + lithos? I hope all the SW fans stay away from these because so I can get a lithograph, I guess I'll have to be at CC the minute they open.

Okay-amazon lists these as including both the original cuts and the "special edition" cuts. don't get me wrong-I think the original cuts are far superior, but I just don't want to get fleeced again until I buy these in high def. can anyone confirm that these actually include both cuts of the films?

[quote name='moonphrogg']Okay-amazon lists these as including both the original cuts and the "special edition" cuts. don't get me wrong-I think the original cuts are far superior, but I just don't want to get fleeced again until I buy these in high def. can anyone confirm that these actually include both cuts of the films?[/QUOTE]

They are, it says it on the commercials too.

AFAIK: They're two disc sets. Disc one is the exact same disc as the 2004 SE trilogy. The second disc is the unaltered oot version, from the 93 Laserdisc sources.

Anyone else's Wal Mart break street date with the exclusive packs? Mine had New Hope/Empire Strikes Back as early as Tuesday.

[quote name='tangytangerine']Does anyone know if there are widescreen versions of this set? All I'm seeing is full screen versions.[/quote]

Yes, there are widescreen versions, but letterboxed only. Nonanamorphic :cry:

[quote name='Zacharium']Yes, there are widescreen versions, but letterboxed only. Nonanamorphic :cry:[/quote] WTF! I just looked up some specs and indeed each original film on disc 2 is letterboxed. Only the SE version is anamorphic!

I hope Luca$ is not saving the anamorphic transfer of the original films for yet another future release :bomb:

[quote name='eau']WTF! I just looked up some specs and indeed each original film on disc 2 is letterboxed. Only the SE version is anamorphic!

I hope Luca$ is not saving the anamorphic transfer of the original films for yet another future release :bomb:[/QUOTE]

People wanted original, unaltered transfers. According to Lucas, making them anamorphic would be altering the original. Sucks for everyone with widescreen tv's, including me.

[quote name='kaw']This version is the original IV, V , VI without all crap Lucas added in the mid-90's.[/QUOTE]
Oh, ok. Thanx. I'd rather have the stuff that was added in and I already have the previous box set. I guess I'm not old school like some people here are.

Well I was thinking of going to CC for the lithographs but if ti going to only be a handful per store f that. Also I kind of like the tin from BB and I have like 15 in Reward zone that I need to spend.

[quote name='crazynater']People wanted original, unaltered transfers. According to Lucas, making them anamorphic would be altering the original. Sucks for everyone with widescreen tv's, including me.[/QUOTE]

How could somebody so retarded (Lucas) make a film so great?

anyone who buys these should be punched in the neck and then pushed down into the dirt like the lesser beings they are

*points and glares*

[quote name='Sporadic']How could somebody so retarded (Lucas) make a film so great?[/QUOTE]

QFT.

I'm not getting these myself, but I am sort of hoping my parents can get the Wal Mart versions with the graphic novels and put them away for Christmas. I'm a sucker for comic books.

no midnight sale, no deal!

when the 2004 dvd release came out a best buy not too far from me had a big event happening where they had free pizza, free prizes (I didn't win squat), the chance to play battlefront 1 and so on. Doors flew open at midnight everyone grabbed there dvds and headed towards the back where they played ESB on this huge ass widescreen tv . Picked up my copy with battlefront and left about an hour later. I was hoping for a midnight sale for Episode 3 and even this release but I guess it was a one time shot :(

I'm a sucker for tin cases, so I will probably be heading to Best Buy for my set.

Aside from a audio commentary, the movies have ZERO special features, so we all know what they means...next Christmas...the SUPER DUPER Special Edition (for a "limited" time, of course)

I don't know what "letterbox" means - is it better to get whatever they call the "widescreen" or the fullscreen versions for these re-re-releases?

[quote name='E-Z-B']I don't know what "letterbox" means - is it better to get whatever they call the "widescreen" or the fullscreen versions for these re-re-releases?[/quote]
Letterbox will put the black bars on the movie no matter what TV you watch it on. Anamorphic widescreen movies will fill the whole TV with no black bars if you have a widescreen TV.

[quote name='crazynater']People wanted original, unaltered transfers. According to Lucas, making them anamorphic would be altering the original. Sucks for everyone with widescreen tv's, including me.[/quote]
I don't think that was the reason, since have the films in anamorphic would be closer to the original resolution of film, but because they "destroyed" the original prints when creating the SEs in 97.
Of course, I'm sure there are hundreds, if not thousands of private collectors with prints of the original Star Wars trilogy that could be used for the DVDs, but that would be the smart way of releasing these DVDs.

[quote name='crazynater']People wanted original, unaltered transfers. According to Lucas, making them anamorphic would be altering the original. Sucks for everyone with widescreen tv's, including me.[/QUOTE]

That is complete BULLSHIT. Remastering the original versions is NOT altering them. Having Greedo fire first however IS altering them. Having them in Anamorphic Widescreen is NOT altering them. Adding the Jabba The Hut scene to Episode 4 however IS altering them.

George can keep these. I'm not buying them and I encourage the rest of CAG to do the same. I've said it before and I'll say it again... there is NO excuse as to why we are getting such a lackluster release.

[quote name='Trakan']Letterbox will put the black bars on the movie no matter what TV you watch it on. Anamorphic widescreen movies will fill the whole TV with no black bars if you have a widescreen TV.[/QUOTE]

So is it pointless to buy the widescreen version? Should I just get full screen? Are they cutting out viewing area with this widescreen version? :whistle2:k

I typically like widescreen, but not if it means I'm sacrificing something else for it.

[quote name='Demolition Man']That is complete BULLSHIT. Remastering the original versions is NOT altering them. Having Greedo fire first however IS altering them. Having them in Anamorphic Widescreen is NOT altering them. Adding the Jabba The Hut scene to Episode 4 however IS altering them.

George can keep these. I'm not buying them and I encourage the rest of CAG to do the same. I've said it before and I'll say it again... there is NO excuse as to why we are getting such a lackluster release.[/QUOTE]

I Completely agree. Especially since they are not including any of the deleted scenes from either of the trilogys. Its like the BS he did with the prequals. Adding all the extra jedi and extra scenes, just to edit them and never include them on a DVD. Waste of money for a VHS copy of a great movie.

[quote name='Demolition Man']That is complete BULLSHIT. Remastering the original versions is NOT altering them. Having Greedo fire first however IS altering them. Having them in Anamorphic Widescreen is NOT altering them. Adding the Jabba The Hut scene to Episode 4 however IS altering them.

George can keep these. I'm not buying them and I encourage the rest of CAG to do the same. I've said it before and I'll say it again... there is NO excuse as to why we are getting such a lackluster release.[/quote]

Sounds like someone's taking this a little bit too seriously.

[quote name='klyco']Sounds like someone's taking this a little bit too seriously.[/quote]
There is nothing wrong with wanting these DVD releases to be up to industry standards. I'm not buying them.

[quote name='E-Z-B']So is it pointless to buy the widescreen version? Should I just get full screen? Are they cutting out viewing area with this widescreen version? :whistle2:k

I typically like widescreen, but not if it means I'm sacrificing something else for it.[/QUOTE]

They're not cutting out anything in the widescreen version. They are cutting out the sides in the full screen version. The reason people are complaining about the widescreen version is that since its not anamorphic, it wont be taking advantage of the 16:9 nature of our widescreen tv sets. If you have a full screen TV, you wont notice anything with any dvd if it is anamorphic or not, it will look the same.

Even though I would like the metal tin from BB, which is the only reason I would want to get it now. But I think I would rather wait for a more definitive collectors set sometime down the road.

[quote name='E-Z-B']So is it pointless to buy the widescreen version? Should I just get full screen? Are they cutting out viewing area with this widescreen version? :whistle2:k

I typically like widescreen, but not if it means I'm sacrificing something else for it.[/QUOTE]Letterboxed movies use a 4:3 image, with black bars that are technically a part of this image. On a widescreen TV, you have to manually zoom in to get the letterboxed movie to fill the screen (since switching to 16:9 mode would just stretch the black bars across the screen).

Anamorphic images are in whatever aspect ratio a film needs to be, with no black bars added to compensate for screen size. The image will automatically fill the screen horizontally, and the black bars you see are just leftover screen space. So no matter what screen size you use, the image will remain in the proper ratio... the only difference will be in the "empty" space on the top and bottom.

Ok, so to summarize... just think about the black bars. With letterboxing the black bars are part of the image, but with anamorphic widescreen the "bars" are just empty space.

[quote name='Lobsterjohnson']Ripped from Laser Discs.[/QUOTE]

This is true. The original stock from these films is gone, according to Lucas, so the did a digital transfer from the Laser Discs -- that means no anamorphic.

I might get them. I still don't know. Of course, I'm more of a Trek man than a Wars man. I still have a copy of the trilogy on VHS from when it was re released back in 93-94. I need to find those somewhere at my parents...

i am going to past on this. Hopefully something will go right when they release this again for HD DVD or Blu Ray.

Man, I always find it funny how ape shit people go over with the Special Edition. I spent some time looking at the side by side images of the original and the SE. They made a lot more stuff better than they did in the negatives (Greedo). I guess if Geogre wants everyone off his back he should release a your edit of Star Wars DVD set people can customize via the store website.

Return of the Jedi side by side
http://www.starwars.com/episode-vi/release/video/f20060908/index.html

[quote name='thorbahn3']Man, I always find it funny how ape shit people go over with the Special Edition. I spent some time looking at the side by side images of the original and the SE. They made a lot more stuff better than they did in the negatives (Greedo). I guess if Geogre wants everyone off his back he should release a your edit of Star Wars DVD set people can customize via the store website.[/QUOTE]

Anakin's angsty young self and The Max Rebo band thank you, and the rest of the world wants to give you a solid slap to the face.

[quote name='pinoy530']They're not cutting out anything in the widescreen version. They are cutting out the sides in the full screen version. The reason people are complaining about the widescreen version is that since its not anamorphic, it wont be taking advantage of the 16:9 nature of our widescreen tv sets. If you have a full screen TV, you wont notice anything with any dvd if it is anamorphic or not, it will look the same.[/QUOTE]

Actually even 4:3 sets will benefit from Anamorphic WS as the actual picture itself will be given a better bitrate since there is less of the black bars encoded on the picture itself which means an overall better picture quality. :D

Does anyone know if by original they simply mean "does not include extended scenes" or they alos mean that they have not touched the visual and audio aspects and it sounds and looks just like a 20 year old movie? Cause I don't want to look at the new crap they did to the movies, but I would like to have remastered audio and video.

bread's done
Back