Star Wars Nerdy Question

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']I know that the novels in the EU are considered Star Wars canon, but what about the comics?[/QUOTE]

Actually, the EU isn't canon, per se. But that is another topic to debate...To answer your question, the comics are not canon.

Lets turn it up a notch...

Official levels of canon

The Holocron is an internal database maintained by Lucas Licensing for the express purpose of trying to maintain continuity within all licensed products. The Holocron is sorted into four levels of canon, reflecting LFL's canon and continuity policies: G, T, C, S, and N.
  • G (George Lucas) canon is absolute canon. This category includes the six films, the deleted scenes from the films, the novelizations of the films, the radio dramas based on the films, the film scripts, and any material found in any other source (published or not) that comes directly from George Lucas himself. G canon outranks all other forms of canon.
  • C (continuity) canon refers to the main body of EU work, and is the next most authoritative level of canon. All material published under the Star Wars label that doesn't fall into either G, S, or N canon is C canon and is considered authoritative as long as it isn't contradicted by G canon.
  • T-canon, or Television Canon, refers to the canon level comprising the feature film Star Wars: The Clone Wars and the two television shows Star Wars: The Clone Wars and the Star Wars live-action TV series.It was devised recently in order to define a status above the C-Level canon, as confirmed by Chee.
  • S (secondary) canon refers to older, less accurate, or less coherent EU works, which would not ordinarily fit in the main continuity of G and C canon. For example, this includes the popular online roleplaying game Star Wars Galaxies, and certain elements of a few N-canon stories.
  • N continuity material is also known as "non-canon" or "non-continuity" material. What-if stories (such as those published under the Infinities label) and anything else that cannot at all fit into continuity is placed into this category. "N-continuity" is not considered canon.
This helps too: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Canon

Im thinking G level canon has lost a little bit of credibility with the release of episodes 1-3. Im not arguing the story so much as the shoehorning of characters that seem out of place (R2 and 3PO made by vader? come on now...) Might as well have renamed jar jar binks, jar jar solo just to touch on everything people knew from the originals.

Can someone explain how Chewbacca didn't know Yoda in Episodes V and VI when they are seen together in Episode III? I can (barely) accept the mind wipe of the droids (which is ridiculous because they are supposed to be battle hardened and been around for a while according to Episodes IV, V and VI).

[quote name='javeryh']Can someone explain how Chewbacca didn't know Yoda in Episodes V and VI when they are seen together in Episode III? I can (barely) accept the mind wipe of the droids (which is ridiculous because they are supposed to be battle hardened and been around for a while according to Episodes IV, V and VI).[/QUOTE]

Chewbacca and Yoda never interacted together in V and VI, so it is not known if he did, in fact, know Yoda was still alive. And we don't know what conversations Luke and Chewbacca had between V and VI.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='javeryh']Can someone explain how Chewbacca didn't know Yoda in Episodes V and VI when they are seen together in Episode III? I can (barely) accept the mind wipe of the droids (which is ridiculous because they are supposed to be battle hardened and been around for a while according to Episodes IV, V and VI).[/QUOTE]When did any other character except Luke and Artoo (and the ghost of Obi-Wan) interact with Yoda in Episodes V and VI?

[quote name='javeryh']
I can (barely) accept the mind wipe of the droids (which is ridiculous because they are supposed to be battle hardened and been around for a while according to Episodes IV, V and VI).[/QUOTE]

There was about 20 years from the mind wipe to when IV happened. And they had been in the service that time. And they only referred to the person who was in charge of them in IV when talking about having to see Ben. (I've watched 4-6 way too many times, 1-3 only about once each.)

[quote name='javeryh']Can someone explain how Chewbacca didn't know Yoda in Episodes V and VI when they are seen together in Episode III? I can (barely) accept the mind wipe of the droids (which is ridiculous because they are supposed to be battle hardened and been around for a while according to Episodes IV, V and VI).[/QUOTE]

When did Yoda and Chewbacca meet in Episode V and VI?

EDIT: As far as android memory wipes. Come on. They're inorganics, not organics.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']So is it canon that Chewie dies a horrible death when a moon collides with its planet? Say it ain't so![/QUOTE]

yes, chewbacca died on a planet while trying to save anakin solo (leai and hans son). a force outside the galaxy invaded their system and destroyed (I forgot the planets name) the world they were on. chewbacca didn't have enough time to make it to the evacuation ship or millennium falcon. in fact, the invasion from the unknown race had far superior technology than what the empire remnants had after the fall of palpatine in episode vi that the empire had built from the ground up. pretty much all technology advancements after the empires fall somewhat seized since there really was no threat. which pretty much left the galaxy vulnerable. the republic were pretty much pansies. ohhh I can go on! *edit*

[quote name='tankass']Im thinking G level canon has lost a little bit of credibility with the release of episodes 1-3. Im not arguing the story so much as the shoehorning of characters that seem out of place (R2 and 3PO made by vader? come on now...) Might as well have renamed jar jar binks, jar jar solo just to touch on everything people knew from the originals.[/QUOTE]

Just wanted to point out that R2-D2 was an astromech droid on Amidala's Royal Starship, he wasn't built by Vader.

[quote name='Fanboy']Just wanted to point out that R2-D2 was an astromech droid on Amidala's Royal Starship, he wasn't built by Vader.[/QUOTE]

Good job, it took long enough.

bread's done
Back