Star Wars: Old Republic Unveiled, The Crotch Weeps (Ew...), New Interview Up

The Crotch

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
No thread on this Bolshevism yet? Hrmph. Anyway, I know this fits the PC section more, but fuck it, this is where I say it goes. The ball's in your court, sp00ge.

Anyway, yeah, Bioware working on an MMORPG set 300 years after KotOR II. Most of us already knew that, but... eh. We have some details now. While I'm naturally intrigued by Bioware's attempt at an MMORPG, I would have liked to get a proper KotOR III first. I know they address this concern in the above-linked article, but after the plot-clusterfuck of the second game, something not 300 years into the future would be pretty cool, y'know?

Only officially announced for the PC, but console versions aren't impossible. When it will be released is anyone's guess.

EDIT: Just for the fuck of it, here's the Gamasutra article on it.

EDIT2: Gamasutra has a new interview with the lead writer.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='tokitoki50']It could be all right if done correctly. Who hasn't wanted a proper star wars MMO before?[/QUOTE]

Not I, as I have no interest in MMOs.

And I like that this thread was posted here, I'd never seen it in PC as I don't do PC gaming, and was hoping the announcement would just be a KOTOR 3 on consoles and PC.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']Hell yeah, go up against WoW. Smart move.

When it tanks and EA closes them down, it'll be glorious just reading all of the EA hate. :)[/quote]
I can see this actually doing somewhat decent. I'm sure fans are looking for a GOOD(?) Starwars MMO.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']Seriously, where the fuck is Mass Effect 2?[/QUOTE]Did you expect a Lucasarts + BioWare announcement to be about Mass Effect 2? :whistle2:s

Ah, fair enough.

Scouring the web, it seems a ton of people that expected this to be a KOTOR 3 announcement are now drowning in their own fanboy tears and wish for this game to fail.

What the fuck is wrong with these people? (the people wishing for this MMO to fail, not the people who are free to complain about a lack of KOTOR, as I would have liked a third game also) God forbid BioWare takes a stab at creating something other than a singleplayer RPG for a change, while still making Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age.

Some people...

Yeah, I don't wish it to fail, I couldn't care less how well it does. MMO's are just not my cup of tea.

Would love a single player KOTOR3 someday though.

Not sure why they are surprised by this. it's not like this came announcement came out of nowhere. As for me while I would love a KOTOR 3, I'm still interested in this game.

UGH an MMO. I hate to think I'll try this, but I will. I'm a Star Whore. I think most everyone would have loved an offline RPG with added co-op play. I better be able to solo.

I'll probably try this, although I am really looking forward to champions online instead.
WoW really needs some strong competition(they take too damn long for expansions) so I hope this does well. Galaxies would have been printing money if it wasn't for some stupid decisions.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']I can see this actually doing somewhat decent. I'm sure fans are looking for a GOOD(?) Starwars MMO.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, me too. I just like being negative. :)

I really wish this was a proper KOTOR 3 but I'm really interested to see what Bioware can do with an MMO(especially with them saying they want to emphasize story). Maybe it'll be one that I actually want to keep playing after the trial is over.

I would much rather see a single player KotOR 3. Still, I'm at least somewhat interested in this, it may be the first MMO I actually play (well either this or the Star Trek MMO).

[quote name='FloodsAreUponUS']Mass Effect 2 is being made by obsidian.[/quote]
If that ever happened I'm sure they could do a good job as long as EA doesn't give them a year to make it... like KOTOR 2.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']Hey, Obsidian did the best they could with what little time they were given to make KOTOR 2....[/quote]

They just forgot to fix the game crushing, save deleting, computer crashing bugs that were riddled in the game. It was good, but it didn't have a personality like KOTOR did.

[quote name='FloodsAreUponUS']They just forgot to fix the game crushing, save deleting, computer crashing bugs that were riddled in the game. It was good, but it didn't have a personality like KOTOR did.[/quote]
You can blame LucaArts for that. They rushed the game so it would be out in time for the Holiday season.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']You can blame LucaArts for that. They rushed the game so it would be out in time for the Holiday season.[/quote]

buh.buh..the computer version came out after x-mas? I guess the xbawks version came out before christmas.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']The X-Box version came out on Dec 6th.[/quote]

Looks like the PC version was about a month later. I blame Obsidian for my sub-par port. Its kinda patched but still runs wonky on my computer.

Mass Effect on PC is a great port though.

IS this an RPG (like everquest) where there are wookies macro-dancing for money in the spaceport and you can't step over a knee sized wall and newb mandalorians wandering around killing x womp rats and y mynocs ?

OR is this more of a coop/party hack and slash with a common social lobby that you can play through multiple times for lootz? (like PSO or Diablo II)

If it's the first one that sucks.

[quote name='palaeomerus']IS this an RPG (like everquest) where there are wookies macro-dancing for money in the spaceport and you can't step over a knee sized wall and newb mandalorians wandering around killing x womp rats and y mynocs ?

OR is this more of a coop/party hack and slash with a common social lobby that you can play through multiple times for lootz? (like PSO or Diablo II)

If it's the first one that sucks.[/quote]

I don't think it's either one it almost sounds like they are really trying something new.

Either way I really need to be able to stop time so I can replay KOTOR 1 and get through 2. With my current schedule, both those are impossibilities.

Does anyone know if the Platinum Hits version of KOTOR 2 is less buggy? I got it for like $5 at Kmart many moons ago but haven't tried it yet because of my fears about crashing and losing all my stuff.

[quote name='FloodsAreUponUS']Mass Effect 2 is being made by obsidian.[/QUOTE]

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Do you have DMK on ignore, Rapsodist?

Also, while I'm not necessarily adverse to online play, monthly fees make me feel pain.

Also, I want the fucking series to get an actual end. 300 years in the future? Humbug!

I think many people fail to realize with mmo monthly fees is that you wind up saving money in the longrun. When you get into it, your spending less money on other games because you want to keep playing that one game, at least that's how I was when I got into WoW awhile back.

And of course you can cancel before your free trial month runs out if you don't like the game anyways.

[quote name='magus83']I think many people fail to realize with mmo monthly fees is that you wind up saving money in the longrun. When you get into it, your spending less money on other games because you want to keep playing that one game, at least that's how I was when I got into WoW awhile back.

And of course you can cancel before your free trial month runs out if you don't like the game anyways.[/quote]Or I can just put another billion hours in one of my other, non-pay-to-play games. That works for me.

Yeah, the monthly fees were never a big deterrent. I'm just not a big fan of online games that require partying up with a bunch of random people etc. My only gaming is pretty much limited to deathmatch in shooters or co-op with real-life friends.

[quote name='The Crotch']Or I can just put another billion hours in one of my other, non-pay-to-play games. That works for me.[/QUOTE]

True, but you'll eventually beat the game, unlike a MMO where you don't really beat it.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yeah, the monthly fees were never a big deterrent. I'm just not a big fan of online games that require partying up with a bunch of random people etc. My only gaming is pretty much limited to deathmatch in shooters or co-op with real-life friends.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I could see that, I'm not much of a fan of getting a group and stuff like that either. I used to play coop most of the time with my cousin and it was pretty cool. He would set up groups and stuff most of the time so I was pretty lucky on that part.

One of the problems I have in MMo's is that you never know when your character is gonna get nerfed. You could spend months on a character then all of a sudden a patch could come out that breaks it, ugh.

Also it didn't help that WoW has one of the worst communities I ever seen online, and their devs don't help much either.
It's nice that there's a MMO thats actually focused on story and it seems to be one of the few upcoming MMO's that can be competitive with WoW.

[quote name='magus83']True, but you'll eventually beat the game, unlike a MMO where you don't really beat it.
[/quote]Last I checked, I haven't really "beaten" Smash Brothers, either.

I usually never play MMO's which require fees, but this would be the exception if it was done well. Will have to wait for some more information before i decide, but i doubt this will be out till 2010.

bread's done
Back