Star Wars: The Complete Saga (Episodes I-VI) Blu-ray set $59.99 on Amazon

Would you guys rather have the complete saga or both trilogy sets? I see that BBY has both trilogy sets for 28.99 each.
Original. If I was an avid collector of Star Wars' sets, I'd own every single one. In this case, I'd just want an original trilogy that DID NOT have Hayden Christensen dubbed into a guest appearance at the end of the movie.

I was just coming to ask about this...which deal should I go for?  Complete Saga at $59.99 or the BB trilogy sets at $28.xx a piece?  I currently own all Star Wars on VHS (lol) so any will be an upgrade for me, just wondering which is best.

If I remember correctly the Saga has some bonus discs which are not included in the trilogy sets. I ordered this today from BBY. Cannot pass up $60 for this set!

Last edited by a moderator:
On a whim, I looked up how much the DVD set with the theatrical and remastered versions cost. Amazon wants $200+ for them. =/

I did have the VHS set, but my dog chewed up my copy of RotJ.

Just checked, Dec 11, 2012 - 39.99.

I have no doubt that the complete Star Wars set will hit that price eventually.  I'm willing to wait an unlimited amount of time because I'm not a huge fan of the movies.

Still waiting for an unaltered release.
I like the movies but not a huge fan of them so to me it makes no difference how they put them out. I wouldn't be surprised if they put out the unaltered version at some point now that Lucas is out of the picture but it will probably be a few years at the earliest. That's of course assuming he didn't include something in the sale contract not allowing it...

well the BB I was thinking of going to tomorrow for the 5X point bonus is out of stock...now to decide if I want to order from Amazon or BB.

Works out to $10 a Blu-Ray...
Hmm, no way I can stomach that for the prequels.

I'm trying to justify it with this math:

Ep. IV $9.99

Ep. V $9.99

Ep. VI $7.99

Ep. I $4.99

Ep. II $3.99 (generous)

Ep. III $3.99 (generous)

Bonus content $19.05 (yeah, I can't justify this, either; maybe $10).

You might be surprised..

Personally, I don't get why Star Wars fanboys care that much. They're his movies after all.
My one gripe with the movies that I have is the ending of Return of the Jedi. In the original movie, we see an ailing, older Anakin standing beside Obi-Wan and Yoda. In the remake, it's Hayden Christensen looking as young as he did before he converted to Darth Vader. My issue is that Anakin never truly died until Luke saved him. Obi-Wan died and looked the same, as did Yoda. But Anakin gets a de-aging? From an age perspective, I believed that the original scene held more merit to it. I saw Hayden in the remake and it was the one eyebrow-raising moment I had.

That's the one thing that motivates me to own the original cuts of the movie, and I never understood why Lucas thought it was cohesive to change that.

My one gripe with the movies that I have is the ending of Return of the Jedi. In the original movie, we see an ailing, older Anakin standing beside Obi-Wan and Yoda. In the remake, it's Hayden Christensen looking as young as he did before he converted to Darth Vader. My issue is that Anakin never truly died until Luke saved him. Obi-Wan died and looked the same, as did Yoda. But Anakin gets a de-aging? From an age perspective, I believed that the original scene held more merit to it. I saw Hayden in the remake and it was the one eyebrow-raising moment I had.

That's the one thing that motivates me to own the original cuts of the movie, and I never understood why Lucas thought it was cohesive to change that.
Maybe it's because he's redeemed himself and he's no longer dearth vader?

Once they make episodes 7-9, my understanding is that they plan on rebooting the series so I wouldn't be surprised if everything is different and possibly a lot better. Disney will probably get Joss Wedon or some other big director they got for their other movies to do it.

Will we see another set with unaltered versions? That is the question as to whether or not to get this set (or the Original Trilogy set). After a Google search, here's the potential obstacles I've found, how likely they are true, and how insurmountable (or not) each is:

1. The Disney deal only covers new Star Wars material made after the deal. Fox retains distribution rights of the existing films (and any other material, such as the Clone Wars) until 2020, and Episode IV indefinitely. For Disney to re-release any of it, they must strike a deal with Fox.

True? Most likely

Insurmountable? Probably not. Unless there's extreme personalities involved, the two studios should be able to reach a deal.

2. As contingent of the deal, Lucas blocks Disney from releasing any version of the films other than what he approves.

True? So far no one has been able to definitively confirm or deny this,

Insurmountable? If this is true, this is probably the biggest obstacle, as it will likely continue even after his death.

3. The original negative / source elements have been destroyed / retained by Lucas / or are otherwise unavailable, and therefore a good transfer is impossible.

True? Most likely false. Even if the original negative does no longer exist, there are enough elements out there to create a nice transfer. Let's also not forget that the altered sections encompass only a small percentage of the running time, and a majority of the film is unchanged. I even found a guy online who's done it on his own, using the current blu ray, and replacing altered scenes with their original counterparts that he's remastered himself.

Maybe it's because he's redeemed himself and he's no longer dearth vader?

Once they make episodes 7-9, my understanding is that they plan on rebooting the series so I wouldn't be surprised if everything is different and possibly a lot better. Disney will probably get Joss Wedon or some other big director they got for their other movies to do it.
I doubt they'll remake any of the existing films, though Episodes 1-3 could use a reboot. I'd also like to see Jedi altered so the Ewoks are not a part of it. Wishful thinking, I know, but producer Gary Kurtz said the original screenplay for Jedi was much better, and different, as it did not involve Ewoks or even a second Death Star (which Kurtz described as a cheap re-hash).

Will we see another set with unaltered versions? That is the question as to whether or not to get this set (or the Original Trilogy set). After a Google search, here's the potential obstacles I've found, how likely they are true, and how insurmountable (or not) each is:

1. The Disney deal only covers new Star Wars material made after the deal. Fox retains distribution rights of the existing films (and any other material, such as the Clone Wars) until 2020, and Episode IV indefinitely. For Disney to re-release any of it, they must strike a deal with Fox.

True? Most likely

Insurmountable? Probably not. Unless there's extreme personalities involved, the two studios should be able to reach a deal.

2. As contingent of the deal, Lucas blocks Disney from releasing any version of the films other than what he approves.

True? So far no one has been able to definitively confirm or deny this,

Insurmountable? If this is true, this is probably the biggest obstacle, as it will likely continue even after his death.

3. The original negative / source elements have been destroyed / retained by Lucas / or are otherwise unavailable, and therefore a good transfer is impossible.

True? Most likely false. Even if the original negative does no longer exist, there are enough elements out there to create a nice transfer. Let's also not forget that the altered sections encompass only a small percentage of the running time, and a majority of the film is unchanged. I even found a guy online who's done it on his own, using the current blu ray, and replacing altered scenes with their original counterparts that he's remastered himself.
I don't suppose he has a torrent up for this, does he? Cause I did download someone's attempt to extend/expand out the 1985 cut of Dune and I thought it was a well done effort.

32b4229145de0a2c1171b9b5757f25dfaa1bbf7b9be0b687be4dd5aec76a34d6.jpg

I am kinda tempted by this, but then again I think I am happy enough with my 2008 release laserdisc rips lol. Shocking that they are going for that much, since when I got it it was $30.

I'm actually surprised that so many people aren't expecting a reboot.  There was a lot of talk about it when Disney bought the series from Lucas.  I think it will happen but not until after they put out episode 9.  They won't just let the series sit around, they're going to try to make it into an annual or biannual release as they've done with the Marvel properties.  It took a while for that to get going but now you can practically set your watch on those movies coming out.

bread's done
Back