Star Wars: The Old Republic $44.85 (must add to cart to see price)

Its a very boring and generic game i couldnt recommend it to anyone unless you are a fan of generic star wars and tedium

[quote name='retrad']Its a very boring and generic game i couldnt recommend it to anyone unless you are a fan of generic star wars and tedium[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Cancelled my order.

[quote name='retrad']Its a very boring and generic game i couldnt recommend it to anyone unless you are a fan of generic star wars and tedium[/QUOTE]

Just curious,what exactly is it youdidnt like about it? Also what do you like better about similar games like wow or guild wars (if you've played them)

Misspelled your user name

[quote name='The Carrot Cake Kid']Misspelled your user name[/QUOTE]

nah its quite intentional my friend. Maybe if you would stop playing bad video games for a minute and use your brain you'd realize there is no prize for being the 100th unoriginal person to try to use an intentional typo in my username as an insult. If that's all you got then Id probably start praying that you never reproduce however seeing as how you play TOR that isn't all that likely anyway.

who says prayers arent answered?

now that is how you insult someone.

[quote name='retrad']nah its quite intentional my friend. Maybe if you would stop playing bad video games for a minute and use your brain you'd realize there is no prize for being the 100th unoriginal person to try to use an intentional typo in my username as an insult. If that's all you got then Id probably start praying that you never reproduce however seeing as how you play TOR that isn't all that likely anyway.

now that is how you insult someone.[/QUOTE]

Plays TOR and says it is bad. Insults someone for playing TOR.

[quote name='retrad']nah its quite intentional my friend. Maybe if you would stop playing bad video games for a minute and use your brain you'd realize there is no prize for being the 100th unoriginal person to try to use an intentional typo in my username as an insult. If that's all you got then Id probably start praying that you never reproduce however seeing as how you play TOR that isn't all that likely anyway.

I don't and have never played TOR. Correction of your name still needed.

You fail

35jmfsy.jpg

You're what is called a "minority"

Great game, my first MMO and I love it. Great way to get into the genre, especially cuz you get your first month free!

SWTOR is a very good MMO and worth your $15.00 a month. It has a very good story line and variations in things to do so it doesn’t feel like a time sink. However having said that, it is a very big time sink and if you have a family, they will miss you, so buy them a account too.

I find one problem with this game. It steals all my gaming time away from everything else. I love this game.

I refer to myself as a hardcore casual. I'm a hardcore gamer, but i have the gaming time of a casual. MMOs havent been an option for me for a very long time. With this game, I can solo my entire storyline, and when i know i have a long period of playtime, I can group with others.

This game is a star wars/rpg fans wet dream.

[quote name='benjamouth']Wow, the hatred is strong in this thread.[/QUOTE]
"Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering."

And I've been insulting people wrong this whole time. Thanks for taking the time to teach us all

Gotta love the fact he has been waiting to get online to insult someone, cause he knows talking like that in reality doesn't fly

What a retrad

Honestly retrad's assessment of the game was pretty accurate. If I was not a big Star Wars fan there is no way I'd be playing this game. I would not call it very boring, but it is a bit tedious and a very average game. There is nothing special about it other than the full voice acting. I'd rate it a 6.5 out of 10, maybe bump it up to 7 or 7.5 after they fix bugs and polish it up a bit.

I did enjoy it more when I started but the gameplay got old pretty quickly. They failed in so many ways with this game. It is way too easy, filled with bugs and graphical glitches, side quests are pretty generic and get boring fast, not much diversity with skills, frequent respawn of enemies (often spawn right on top of you as you are fighting another group), etc. I could easily keep going.

Also the game does not feel "massive" at all. It does not feel like you are sharing the world with lots of other players. Due to instancing, there are never that many players on the same planet as you. The game was clearly designed to be a single player game. Normal quests are pathetically easy to do solo. Most of the optional heroic quests can be solo'd easily if you are doing all the side quests along the way (to level up). You are almost penalized for playing with a friend because the game because stupidly easy.

I would say the ease of the game is what really kills the experience for me. Oh here comes mr big bad jedi master...and he barely damages you as you rip him apart. Bosses have a lot of hp and sometimes take a little while to take down, but they do hardly any damage if you are doing side quests and leveled appropriately.

It also gets boring using the same skills over and over. I have not played WoW, but Guild Wars is far superior to SWTOR in almost every way. In Guild Wars your class has a diverse range of skills and you can really customize your play style. As you get farther in Guild Wars you gain access to lots of new skills which allow you to create new and exciting combos. In SWTOW you occasionally get something new, but it does not really change how you play the game much...usually just a slight variation of a skill you already have.

I'm going to pay for about two months since I already paid for the game, but it is very hard to recommend a mediocre game at $50-60 plus $15/month.

[quote name='aem']Honestly retrad's assessment of the game was pretty accurate. If I was not a big Star Wars fan there is no way I'd be playing this game. I would not call it very boring, but it is a bit tedious and a very average game. There is nothing special about it other than the full voice acting. I'd rate it a 6.5 out of 10, maybe bump it up to 7 or 7.5 after they fix bugs and polish it up a bit.

I did enjoy it more when I started but the gameplay got old pretty quickly. They failed in so many ways with this game. It is way too easy, filled with bugs and graphical glitches, side quests are pretty generic and get boring fast, not much diversity with skills, frequent respawn of enemies (often spawn right on top of you as you are fighting another group), etc. I could easily keep going.

Also the game does not feel "massive" at all. It does not feel like you are sharing the world with lots of other players. Due to instancing, there are never that many players on the same planet as you. The game was clearly designed to be a single player game. Normal quests are pathetically easy to do solo. Most of the optional heroic quests can be solo'd easily if you are doing all the side quests along the way (to level up). You are almost penalized for playing with a friend because the game because stupidly easy.

I would say the ease of the game is what really kills the experience for me. Oh here comes mr big bad jedi master...and he barely damages you as you rip him apart. Bosses have a lot of hp and sometimes take a little while to take down, but they do hardly any damage if you are doing side quests and leveled appropriately.

It also gets boring using the same skills over and over. I have not played WoW, but Guild Wars is far superior to SWTOR in almost every way. In Guild Wars your class has a diverse range of skills and you can really customize your play style. As you get farther in Guild Wars you gain access to lots of new skills which allow you to create new and exciting combos. In SWTOW you occasionally get something new, but it does not really change how you play the game much...usually just a slight variation of a skill you already have.

I'm going to pay for about two months since I already paid for the game, but it is very hard to recommend a mediocre game at $50-60 plus $15/month.[/QUOTE]

I pretty much have to disagree with every single one of your points with the exception of not seeing a massive amounts of players on most planets. You can customize your playstyle. I play a sentinel and there is a big difference in style between the watchman and combat spec tree for a sentinel.

The story lines are great, its actually fun to play a non jedi, difficulty is on the easier side but there are still challenges to be had. Like any RPG, the difficulty has a lot to do with how over/under leveled you are. As far as frequent respawns, that has happened during heroics/flashpoints, but usually its because our group struggled and waited in the wrong spot for far to long. I tie that more to user error than a problem with timing.

Is the game perfect? No. It does have bugs, none i've found to be gamebreaking or close to it. The presentation is top notch, the VA is great, stories are great, sound is amazing, and its very fun to play. I got to level 50 on my sentinel and i'm having a blast still.

Does anyone else think that these sub games need to be like 30 dollars or less for the client? Even with a free month, it's kind of ludicrous to pay 60 (well 45 now) dollars for a game you might only be allowed to play for a month (unless you want to subscribe)

I'd totally check it out, but I'm not paying a sub on top of a the box price, for something that I might not like.

FYI: No this doesn't happen with console games, because if I don't like the demo I just wait till the thing can be purchased for pocket lint anyway.

[quote name='Apostle22']I pretty much have to disagree with every single one of your points with the exception of not seeing a massive amounts of players on most planets. You can customize your playstyle. I play a sentinel and there is a big difference in style between the watchman and combat spec tree for a sentinel.

The story lines are great, its actually fun to play a non jedi, difficulty is on the easier side but there are still challenges to be had. Like any RPG, the difficulty has a lot to do with how over/under leveled you are. As far as frequent respawns, that has happened during heroics/flashpoints, but usually its because our group struggled and waited in the wrong spot for far to long. I tie that more to user error than a problem with timing.

Is the game perfect? No. It does have bugs, none i've found to be gamebreaking or close to it. The presentation is top notch, the VA is great, stories are great, sound is amazing, and its very fun to play. I got to level 50 on my sentinel and i'm having a blast still.[/QUOTE]

I agree with your assessments, and also want to congratulate you for making it to 50 as a sentinel (I did too). It's not a hard game but if any class were the most difficult to solo it'd be sentinels, especially non-Watchman specs.

I begrudgingly bought this game to appease a friend, but surprisingly ended up loving it. This is coming from someone who 1) dislikes the modern SW franchise 2) got bored of WoW and 3) is a CAG who doesn't like the idea of a full priced game that also requires a subscription. I've made zero progress on my backlog since buying the game and probably won't for awhile.

I think the game would be more appealing if people saw it as a great single player RPG with solid MMO gameplay. People are willing to sink over a hundred hours in Skyrim and deal with bugs/repetition, but the idea of a subscription-based MMO scares them.

I am not a big Star Wars fan, and I enjoy the game. You have to like it for what it is. Sandbox, 7 years of content, and brutally punishing it is not. Flashpoints and heroics are a lot of fun in a group. You can solo your class quest and many of the quest if you want to.

[quote name='DeadRabbit']Does anyone else think that these sub games need to be like 30 dollars or less for the client? Even with a free month, it's kind of ludicrous to pay 60 (well 45 now) dollars for a game you might only be allowed to play for a month (unless you want to subscribe)

I'd totally check it out, but I'm not paying a sub on top of a the box price, for something that I might not like.
[/QUOTE]

I'm in total agreement. I was in the beta and liked it, but honestly I am not a very social player so I would probably just solo it. Unlike most MMOs this one does seem to let you solo pretty well and it actually feels like a single player game for the most part if you ignore the other players but do I really want to pay $60 (or even $45) and $15 a month? Not so much.

My suspicion is it will go cheaper in March when EA is trying to squeeze in all the sales they can last minute before the end of their fiscal year so if it hits $30 or below I think I'll probably bite at that point. If not, while it's a decent game, it's not worth a high up front cost plus a monthly fee to me.

I love this game. I really find it fun. For me personally this is a steal at this price. Too bad I was a sucker and spent top dollar at launch. This is the second MMO i've ever attempted. I tried the 14 day trial of WOW and couldn't stand it. Hope this helps someone make a decision on this!

Not sure how, but I just snagged it for $45.87. I had stuck it in my cart earlier, it had jumped to 53 so I forgot about and then just a few minutes ago it was the low price but with a timer on the checkout page... Hidden gold box or something?

If you've played WOW for a long period of time, this game will most likely get boring somewhat quickly. It's not "WOW with Star Wars Skin" but alot of the game mechanics are the exact same. Combine with some bugs, ability issues, etc. and I cannot recommend the game. I got bored around level 30.. although the class quests are fun. It's very linear and although some planets are huge, there's nothing to do - you may see a random mob or some pretty rocks, but nothing of interest.

If you haven't played MMO's before, it may be worth trying. I do see it being fun to someone who isn't tired of the grind, level, grind, do dungeons, do raids, repeat cycle. Bioware has done a decent job, it just doesn't do anything to differ itself from other MMO's. Yes, it has a lot of voice acting, but that isn't enough in my opinion.

bread's done
Back