Star Wars: The Old Republic - Out now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm on Giradda the Hutt Server, I don't think it really matters. I would go where you know someone. Otherwise pick a server that is populated but not overpopulated during the primary time you will be playing.

I'm really starting to get frustrated with the performance of this game. I have had zero problems in every other game I play on my PC yet SWTOR just loves to run like shit. It crashes on me a lot for no apparent reason. I'm not doing anything weird or intense, crashes just randomly occur. Just now I had one companion out and I clicked on the button to bring a different companion out and it crashed. Shit like this happens at least once a day. It really makes me not even want to bother with this shit, but I do really like the game a lot. I really wish BioWare delayed the launch to this. Thanks for releasing a broken game just to beat Diablo 3.

[quote name='tcrash247']I'm really starting to get frustrated with the performance of this game. I have had zero problems in every other game I play on my PC yet SWTOR just loves to run like shit. It crashes on me a lot for no apparent reason. I'm not doing anything weird or intense, crashes just randomly occur. Just now I had one companion out and I clicked on the button to bring a different companion out and it crashed. Shit like this happens at least once a day. It really makes me not even want to bother with this shit, but I do really like the game a lot. I really wish BioWare delayed the launch to this. Thanks for releasing a broken game just to beat Diablo 3.[/QUOTE]

2 questions:

1. Have you checked to see if all your drivers are up to date?

2. What makes you think Bioware rushed out the game to beat Diablo 3?

[quote name='JasonTerminator']2 questions:

1. Have you checked to see if all your drivers are up to date?

2. What makes you think Bioware rushed out the game to beat Diablo 3?[/QUOTE]

I updated all my drivers after the game released, I'll check them again but I doubt there's new ones already.

They announced the release date right after Blizzard announced Diablo 3 would be delayed until early 2012.

Canceled my account last night.

All of the bugs finally got to me. The lackluster PVP didn't really help either. Oh and the piss poor customer support. You submit a ticket, you get an automated email telling you to check their forums and they close your ticket. Yay! Pure awesomeness!!

I grow tired of these gear dependent so called 'PVP'... it's pointless to me. If anything I guess the single player story was worth the 60 bucks.

[quote name='tcrash247']I updated all my drivers after the game released, I'll check them again but I doubt there's new ones already.

They announced the release date right after Blizzard announced Diablo 3 would be delayed until early 2012.[/QUOTE]

That's certainly an interesting theory. I thought the release date was to come out before Christmas, but I suppose both would work as theories.

That being said, this game has had a smoother launch than most MMOs, so I'm not convinced when people say the game was "rushed" out.

I just got this game last sunday. I've never really played an MMO before, but I've pretty much played every game that bioware released in the past 10 years. It seemed only logical to give this game a go. But I'm getting kinda nervous about the critique this game is getting lately. I'm not really a hardcore gamer, so I don't expect to hit lvl 50 any time soon, but I wonder if the story itself will be worth $15,- every month.

My initial impressions is that the storyline is the usual high-quality Bioware stuff, but it just moves at a much slower pace than I'm used to. What I've played untill now is like 5 hours of KOTOR story, stretched over about 15 hours or SW:TOR.

I still have enough playtime left, but I'm not really sure if this game is for me.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']I'm not sure if you think this is a good or bad thing, but I'd say it's good. CCP has done similar things in the past for EVE, and it seems to have worked out for the better in that game.[/QUOTE]

Equally both. First and foremost it shows that they obviously don't have an idea what they need to do to appease the non-casual population. Then on the other hand, it shows they're actually trying to do some good for the game if they're actually willing to take constructive feedback and put it towards the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Draekon']Equally both. First and foremost it shows that they obviously don't have an idea what they need to do to appease the non-casual population. Then on the other hand, it shows they're actually trying to do some good for the game if they're actually willing to take constructive feedback and put it towards the game.[/QUOTE]
Oh sure, IF you're selected then you can pay airfare/lodging to do god knows what at their studio. Probably just a sales pitch from Bioware about how they're right and why we should stick around. No thanks. I wouldn't waste your time on these idiots TBH.

Also, Rage Producing Gobbledeg00k (filters lol; that's racist!) has got to be the best acronym Yahtzee has ever produced.

It's hard to say whether or not it will be fruitful. Also it doesn't say that whether or not the guilds that were invited by Bioware themselves have to pay for airfare/lodging. I usually give people the benefit of the doubt until some time after and see what has some of said meeting or reports of what went on at said meeting.

[quote name='Draekon']It's hard to say whether or not it will be fruitful. Also it doesn't say that whether or not the guilds that were invited by Bioware themselves have to pay for airfare/lodging. I usually give people the benefit of the doubt until some time after and see what has some of said meeting or reports of what went on at said meeting.[/QUOTE]

As Jodou pointed out, invitees are responsible for their own travel, food, and lodging. See the asterisk footnote.

*Must be 21 or older to attend. Guild leaders selected to attend are responsible for all of their travel, food, and lodging expenses.

That actually doesn't explain anything about those who were invited by Bioware. I feel that's more addressing those people who apply to attend the summit. Regardless, it doesn't matter anyways.

I applied as I run a guild on Iron Citadel. I live in Houston so it wouldn't be too far, also have a friend I could stay with.

I like the new patch today. The UI is a bit slicker, and they finally made it so that you don't have to re-click sprint after you die. Definitely a step towards the right direction. Hopefully they continue to make these improvements.

I really hate the new action bar buttons. I don't like how they all turn dark and a very solid light color fills the box and runs out on global cooldowns. I'm a clicker so it's kind of hard to see what ability I'm clicking on next. It also makes it difficult to see what's on a real cooldown and what's not. Very disappointed with this and just makes me wish more that they allowed mods already.

[quote name='tcrash247']I really hate the new action bar buttons. I don't like how they all turn dark and a very solid light color fills the box and runs out on global cooldowns. I'm a clicker so it's kind of hard to see what ability I'm clicking on next. It also makes it difficult to see what's on a real cooldown and what's not. Very disappointed with this and just makes me wish more that they allowed mods already.[/QUOTE]

It was a little disorienting at first, but I got used to it pretty easily, but then again I'm not a clicker.

The speed of the cooldown countdown is very easily visible, so you should know what's just on the global cooldown just from comparing to the other buttons. If you have all your heavy cooldowns in one place, I suppose it might be hard to figure out though.

I agree they need more UI modding though. I'd like to set up some kind of notification for certain rng buffs, personally. And they need to make it so I can hide companion's headgear.

I don't like the new action bar buttons either, at least not yet. I am a clicker if that makes a difference I guess but for whatever reason I find them a little harder to decipher now. Not having to always activate "sprint" now is a good thing though.

[quote name='kaiyouske']I like the new patch today. The UI is a bit slicker, and they finally made it so that you don't have to re-click sprint after you die. Definitely a step towards the right direction. Hopefully they continue to make these improvements.[/QUOTE]
I just don't understand what was so wrong with the original. The new UI is too distracting and unnecessary even if it's better than the last one.

At any rate, they broke Ilum with their new anti-trading measures (every time they try to stop exploiting they break something without fail), Karagga still doesn't spawn a chest, and Soa still bugs when the tank is mindtrapped. They have officially topped Funcom in terms of QA and broken patches, which I thought not possible. Now that we're 10/10 nightmare, it's going to be real hard retaining players at this point given the bugs and meaningless PvP.

[quote name='Jodou']I just don't understand what was so wrong with the original. The new UI is too distracting and unnecessary even if it's better than the last one.
[/QUOTE]

I guess I'm the minority that liked the new UI. I had problems telling which abilities were on cool-down(CD) since Sith Juggernauts had this bug where you'll trigger CD whenever you cast certain abilities but that ability won't be cast. That really made it hard to see what was still on CD and what was not since that bug would refresh EVERYTHING even though some skills were still on CD.

[quote name='Jodou']
At any rate, they broke Ilum with their new anti-trading measures (every time they try to stop exploiting they break something without fail), Karagga still doesn't spawn a chest, and Soa still bugs when the tank is mindtrapped. They have officially topped Funcom in terms of QA and broken patches, which I thought not possible. Now that we're 10/10 nightmare, it's going to be real hard retaining players at this point given the bugs and meaningless PvP.[/QUOTE]

Sounds terrible. Currently I'm just trying to fly through the Jedi tank story with my remaining subscription time since I've canceled. I'll probably come back once they release their expansion since I did enjoy the single player story parts. Hopefully they'll have most of these issues ironed out by then.

Yeah, I think we're just about fed up with the incompetence at Bioware and since we've nothing left to conquer we will likely slowly withdraw from TOR. Really hard to keep people interested in a buggy game with all these new releases coming out and holiday games to catch up on. I think March is the earliest we'd see new content, but I don't see us lasting TBH.

This game had a real shot at the big time, but I suspect the 1.7 million subs they claimed were inflated without the dropoff from 30-day retirees. I'd be surprised if they could harbor a million by summer time.

I read a quote that said the 1.7 million were active subscribers after the 30 included time period and the 300K difference from the 2 million copies sold were those who did not activate or did not resubscribe.

I just hit 50 earlier this week so I haven't had a chance to do any raids with my Guild and have a long way to getting PvP gear since I didn't do many Warzones before hitting 49.

I have to agree with kaiyouske on the new UI. Like he said it is much clearer which abilities are still cooling down since the old UI made it really hard to tell when certain abilities were nearing cooldown.

300K is a pretty huge dropoff if that's the case. I'd imagine even more will be lost after the first month as well. The initial 300K were the hardcore players that hit 50 in a week and found out there was nothing to do. The next drop off will be the more casual people who took their time hitting 50, but still found out there is nothing to do in the end.

It's a shame the game really offers no end-game content. It had a real shot to be a hit among my friends and I. Sure, there were issues, but it didn't really do anything that offensive or bad, however, it also did nothing great either. Just an average MMO with a clueless developer behind it that will probably wind up running it into the ground.

F2P by Fall.

As someone who really loved KOTOR but hates MMOs (mostly the subscriptons), is there enough to do in this as far as a single-player campaign goes that would make it a worthwhile purchase? I doubt I'll buy it within the next 4 months but I'm curious since I'm replaying KOTOR right now.

There's a fuckload of single-player campaign.

I'm waiting until there's a free trial or something like that before I try and power through 'em.

[quote name='icedrake523']As someone who really loved KOTOR but hates MMOs (mostly the subscriptons), is there enough to do in this as far as a single-player campaign goes that would make it a worthwhile purchase? I doubt I'll buy it within the next 4 months but I'm curious since I'm replaying KOTOR right now.[/QUOTE]

This game basically has 8 singleplayer campaigns. I never played an MMO before this and SWTOR has me hooked, the Imperial story line is freaking awesome so far (I'm level 41) and the others seem to be just as good.

Despite the singleplayer stuff being great, the PvP for me has been too much fun. I'm a backstabber that people hate.

1.2 out sometime in March will add Dual Spec, a new Warzone, and Legacy will give classes access to other already available races that they could not use before (hence no new races, but new choices).

I don't get the "nothing to do at the end" thing. If you haven't been playing the game non-stop nearly all day since it came out and spacebarring through cut-scenes there are the Hardmodes, getting upgraded PvE gear, PvP Valor and gear (unless you are on the Empire side and exploited your valor rank). There are also beating world bosses for the fun of it. Everyone I've talked to in my guild and random ppl in-game that have nice gear either has decked out gear from PvE or PvP but not both. I guess if you don't PvP then that could take a big chunk of time out of it, I didn't intend on PvPing going in but have doing alot of it since.

[quote name='icedrake523']As someone who really loved KOTOR but hates MMOs (mostly the subscriptons), is there enough to do in this as far as a single-player campaign goes that would make it a worthwhile purchase? I doubt I'll buy it within the next 4 months but I'm curious since I'm replaying KOTOR right now.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I played most of my story solo but did some Flashpoints and Heroic quests (both are group missions) with people. You definitely get better rewards both creds and gear-wise doing the group quests. Also, if you plan to PvP then I would suggest playing some Warzones on the way otherwise if you wait until you hit lvl 50 then you will be at a disadvantage.

If anybody wants the CE i seen amazon is sold out and Gamestop Online has 19 left.
Looks like its getting close to that time to buy if you want one

[quote name='woodcan']I don't get the "nothing to do at the end" thing.[/QUOTE]
That's because there's plenty to do, none satisfying. The PvE can be cleared in 2-3 hours on nightmare in a night. PvP is not rewarding outside of material claims, so once the grind is done you stop playing. Or you make an alt.

I'm shy of my 3rd 50 and my guild logs on for pvp dailies and raids until their subs run out. Other than that, we've found other games to play in between. God knows I still have a new, large backlog thanks to TOR.

[quote name='Jodou']That's because there's plenty to do, none satisfying. The PvE can be cleared in 2-3 hours on nightmare in a night. PvP is not rewarding outside of material claims, so once the grind is done you stop playing. Or you make an alt.

I'm shy of my 3rd 50 and my guild logs on for pvp dailies and raids until their subs run out. Other than that, we've found other games to play in between. God knows I still have a new, large backlog thanks to TOR.[/QUOTE]

QFT

I do find it boring now after figuring out bosses on Hard and NM modes.. PVP is meh.. so basically that thing that keeps me in this game is playing the story for each of the class, I still consider SWTOR a Single Player MMO lol..

I haven't done many HMs or even many of the flashpoints mainly because I typically don't have an uninterrupted 3-4 hours of time to dedicate and partly because I just can't find people now in my guild or otherwise to do them with when I get online in the evenings.

Can somebody who has played/plays other MMO's explain to me how the SWTOR end-game is broken vs other MMO's? I hear so many people throw that around that I am curious how other games like WoW are different.

[quote name='woodcan']I haven't done many HMs or even many of the flashpoints mainly because I typically don't have an uninterrupted 3-4 hours of time to dedicate and partly because I just can't find people now in my guild or otherwise to do them with when I get online in the evenings.

Can somebody who has played/plays other MMO's explain to me how the SWTOR end-game is broken vs other MMO's? I hear so many people throw that around that I am curious how other games like WoW are different.[/QUOTE]

The MMO vets are mad because the endgame PvE isn't harder. I don't understand the complaints about endgame PvP. They say that there's no rewards for PvP other than gear, and I'm struggling to understand how that's different than other MMO's.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']The MMO vets are mad because the endgame PvE isn't harder. I don't understand the complaints about endgame PvP. They say that there's no rewards for PvP other than gear, and I'm struggling to understand how that's different than other MMO's.[/QUOTE]

It's just nothing more than mediocre, that's the problem. It doesn't do anything different, and the shit it does copy isn't really done that well. The PVE isn't difficult and the PVP is boring. RECIPE FOR SUCCESS!

[quote name='SEH']It's just nothing more than mediocre, that's the problem. It doesn't do anything different, and the shit it does copy isn't really done that well. The PVE isn't difficult and the PVP is boring. RECIPE FOR SUCCESS![/QUOTE]

People keep saying the PVP is boring and mediocre without giving reasons. Any clarification?

[quote name='JasonTerminator']People keep saying the PVP is boring and mediocre without giving reasons. Any clarification?[/QUOTE]

I just gave you reasons. It's nothing new and the stuff they did copy they didnt even do well. The game types are boring. Not really much more to say than that.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']I don't understand the complaints about endgame PvP. They say that there's no rewards for PvP other than gear, and I'm struggling to understand how that's different than other MMO's.[/QUOTE]
That's the problem: it isn't different. There is a dream among elder guilds that one day a PK game will rise again and the sad fact is what we want isn't profitable. Dev's will never willingly relinquish control of their games ever again for the pure fact that human nature is to grief. Thus it's a mindless cycle of being told where and how we may PvP in each new MMO. That's my problem with the environment of MMOs and how carebear they've become.

The fact that PvP and PvE servers even exist is half the problem, because that alone acknowledges they want to segregate us. Without risk, there's no reward.

The updated patch notes for 1.1.5 look very nice. If same faction WZ kills count toward Ilum daily then I may never ever go back. if not, then the Republic just got a huge boost.

[quote name='Azazael13']The updated patch notes for 1.1.5 look very nice. If same faction WZ kills count toward Ilum daily then I may never ever go back. if not, then the Republic just got a huge boost.[/QUOTE]

As a whole I really like the patch notes, but I really hate how this basically kills my Dirty Fighting Gunslinger build. Back to boring ol' Sharpshooter again.

Of course, I really feel screwed for choosing Gunslinger right now anyway. What's the point of a pure DPS class if I don't do more DPS than classes that can heal themselves?

I'm a little stuck in my questing. I'm level 43 but I'm pretty sure I should be level 45 because my quests have me fighting level 45-46 gold elites and they're just constantly kicking my ass. I haven't done pvp at all yet, but don't you gain experience in the battlegrounds? I think I might have to grind that out for a level or two, bleh. For some reason, I can't even beat the space missions that are my level even though I bought all grade 5 upgrades for my ship. Either I suck or this game just got difficult.

[quote name='tcrash247']I'm a little stuck in my questing. I'm level 43 but I'm pretty sure I should be level 45 because my quests have me fighting level 45-46 gold elites and they're just constantly kicking my ass. I haven't done pvp at all yet, but don't you gain experience in the battlegrounds? I think I might have to grind that out for a level or two, bleh. For some reason, I can't even beat the space missions that are my level even though I bought all grade 5 upgrades for my ship. Either I suck or this game just got difficult.[/QUOTE]

What planet are you on? At that range you should still be on Belsavis. If you're already on Voss, consider leveling via warzones and flashpoints for a while. Probably more warzones because Colicoid War Game is buggy garbage.

And if you have grade 5 space upgrades you should be able to beat the space missions. Don't forget you can move the ship with WASD as well as the mouse, allowing for greater movement to dodge enemy fire. And use the power converter liberally.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']What planet are you on? At that range you should still be on Belsavis. If you're already on Voss, consider leveling via warzones and flashpoints for a while. Probably more warzones because Colicoid War Game is buggy garbage.

And if you have grade 5 space upgrades you should be able to beat the space missions. Don't forget you can move the ship with WASD as well as the mouse, allowing for greater movement to dodge enemy fire. And use the power converter liberally.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm on Voss. My problem is I haven't been doing any heroic quests, so that's most likely what has gimped my level. I'll be doing some warzones for a level or two.

I didn't know about the WASD keys but what has me more intrigued is this power converter you speak of.
What is it? I've never noticed it before and I don't know how to use it.

Power Converter allows for switching your ship between focusing on fire power or shield regeneration via hotkey. Makes space mission much easier for leveling and what not.

[quote name='tcrash247']I'm a little stuck in my questing. I'm level 43 but I'm pretty sure I should be level 45 because my quests have me fighting level 45-46 gold elites and they're just constantly kicking my ass. I haven't done pvp at all yet, but don't you gain experience in the battlegrounds? I think I might have to grind that out for a level or two, bleh. For some reason, I can't even beat the space missions that are my level even though I bought all grade 5 upgrades for my ship. Either I suck or this game just got difficult.[/QUOTE]

Which server are you on? I could give you a hand but odds are you're on a different server. I'm on Bondar Crystal. Also, as said above, you should be able to make it through those space missions with Level 5 upgrades. I didn't start having a problem until I hit 50. There is one space mission I swear is bugged or something. I bought the proton torpedoes from the fleet using commendations but they only give me 3 and there is 4 shield generators I have to explode. Once my 3 torpedoes are gone I cannot target the 4th shield generator with my missiles and my blaster fire seems to do nothing to it. It's part of the primary objective so I cannot pass it anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back