Star Wars: The Old Republic

eswat

CAGiversary!
Feedback
32 (100%)
http://www.swtor.com/

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/55470

Ending years of silence and rumors, BioWare and LucasArts today revealed that they have joined forces to produce a Star Wars massively multiplayer online game set in the Knights of the Old Republic Universe.

Dubbed Star Wars: The Old Republic, the title is expected to launch at some point in 2009, going by past reports. The specific platforms that will receive the game have not yet been revealed, though a PC version is likely.

The story-based MMO will be set roughly 300 years after BioWare's 2004 single-player RPG Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (PC, Xbox) and the Obsidian-developed sequel, which took place roughly 4,000 years before the classic film series.

"We're making KOTOR 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and beyond--this game is that big, it's got that much content in it," explained BioWare co-founder Ray Muzyka. "It's very innovative--it's story based."

"We thought of a Howard the Duck MMO, we thought it was a little too crazy," he joked.

While the Star Wars setting was confirmed by BioWare owner EA in July, both the developer and license holder LucasArts have remained silent about the project until today. BioWare has been quietly tinkering away on its MMO since the 2006 formation of BioWare Austin, after which the studio licensed all sorts of middleware technology.

I am very, very disappointed.

I absolutely refuse to pay for monthly MMO subscriptions and I am positive this game will have them, which ultimately means I will not play it. Also, I feel it will stop them from making more Single Player KOTOR games. Which also sucks.

[quote name='darthbudge']I am very, very disappointed.

I absolutely refuse to pay for monthly MMO subscriptions and I am positive this game will have them, which ultimately means I will not play it. Also, I feel it will stop them from making more Single Player KOTOR games. Which also sucks.[/quote]

I completely agree with everything you said man. Bioware really sold out with this one. Unfortunately this game also shuts the door on any more SP KotOR games.

Lets pray that it doesn't get fucked up like SWG... Since Sony is not involved with this, it might have a chance... I will give it a shot when it comes out, either that or Star Trek Online.

Meh, there hasn't been an MMO I've enjoyed yet. After years of trying to play them, I finally have to accept that the WoW-EQ-WAR style MMOs just won't appeal to me, Star Wars be damned.

I really enjoyed the first KOTOR though.

[quote name='darthbudge']I am very, very disappointed.

I absolutely refuse to pay for monthly MMO subscriptions and I am positive this game will have them, which ultimately means I will not play it. Also, I feel it will stop them from making more Single Player KOTOR games. Which also sucks.[/quote]

Why does a MMO version have to be a bad thing? I enjoyed the single player experiences but MMO games bring tons of depth to a game, as well as adding many things you can't get from a single player game like a market/economy. The monthly price is also just a monthly price to host the game. Servers/Bandwidth have hit a very high cost and if they hosted this game for free, they would be broke in minutes. I enjoyed SWG and I know there are many others as well that will be trying this game out.

[quote name='rivacom']Why does a MMO version have to be a bad thing? I enjoyed the single player experiences but MMO games bring tons of depth to a game, as well as adding many things you can't get from a single player game like a market/economy. The monthly price is also just a monthly price to host the game. Servers/Bandwidth have hit a very high cost and if they hosted this game for free, they would be broke in minutes. I enjoyed SWG and I know there are many others as well that will be trying this game out.[/quote]

I understand that the costs of servers need to be covered. But why are there MMO's that have free online play? I occasionally play Guild Wars and it doesn't have a monthly fee.

I feel if someone is going to charge you $15 a month to play a MMO, then they should give the game away. A full year of monthly fees is like buying 4 - 5 games. Is there really 4 - 5 games of content (other than grinding) in a typical MMO?

[quote name='mogamer']I understand that the costs of servers need to be covered. But why are there MMO's that have free online play? I occasionally play Guild Wars and it doesn't have a monthly fee.

I feel if someone is going to charge you $15 a month to play a MMO, then they should give the game away. A full year of monthly fees is like buying 4 - 5 games. Is there really 4 - 5 games of content (other than grinding) in a typical MMO?[/quote]

The Guild wars thing has been beaten to death really, so lets start from the top. GW is not a MMO, its a RPG with different layers to it. Most of the game is actually run from your own PC, so the servers take very little hits. Top this with new expansions every year or less. And yes Yes a year of content is worth about 4-5 games, but really any MMO'er who has played games like EQ, or even WOW will tell you, while playing a MMO your into, you won't bother buying those games because your so into the MMO. Like I said before the $15 a month pays for live content, servers, and many more features. $60 dollars might get you a 7-17 hour game where is $15 dollars every month gets you a constantly changing game with endless hours of gameplay.

They should finish KOTOR2 before moving on to the next game. :p

All kidding aside, this is really a crap move on BioWare's part. By making it an MMO, it will radically change the style we've come to know and love.

[quote name='rivacom']Like I said before the $15 a month pays for live content, servers, and many more features. $60 dollars might get you a 7-17 hour game where is $15 dollars every month gets you a constantly changing game with endless hours of gameplay.[/quote]
I don't know about you, but I only pay $40 - $50 for a new release PC game. Oblivion, for example, offered plenty more than 7 - 17 hours of gameplay.

As far as Guild Wars not being a MMO, I'm sure those other people I've played with weren't on my PC. And there are now free MMO's with no monthly fees. Sure they may not be as complex as WOW, but they still offer plenty of interaction and offer seasonal quests, while only paying for extras (if you want them).

The standard "buy a game and pay monthly fees" MMO isn't the only option now. And outside of a small few, they're not very successful.

Guild Wars 2 will actually be more "MMO-like" than its predecessor and STILL won't have monthly fees. My sincere, far-flung hope is that GW2 convinces people that monthly fees are bullshit.

I really like GW's pricing model, especially since ArenaNet is one of the few studios that could churn out decent episodic content at a steady rate (no three years between episodes for them)

[quote name='mogamer']I don't know about you, but I only pay $40 - $50 for a new release PC game. Oblivion, for example, offered plenty more than 7 - 17 hours of gameplay.

As far as Guild Wars not being a MMO, I'm sure those other people I've played with weren't on my PC. And there are now free MMO's with no monthly fees. Sure they may not be as complex as WOW, but they still offer plenty of interaction and offer seasonal quests, while only paying for extras (if you want them).

The standard "buy a game and pay monthly fees" MMO isn't the only option now. And outside of a small few, they're not very successful.[/quote]

So if I take a game like Halflife 2 or TF2 or whatever, and i'm playing with other users, it's a MMO? No , Guild wars uses instances(or think of it as a FPS server) Since really the only time they are utilized is the towns or meeting areas. The rest is basicly player hosted(when you join a group).

Now these free MMO, their free yes, but usual they offer other options for them to make money. IE: Advertisments, Real money to game money conversion, limited instances with the option to pay for more content ect. Yes they may be free to a point, but no free mmo game will have the same content to a completely free mmo. I give credit to those who try, such as planeshift, but due to funding you'll see a lot slower development over a funded game. The KOTOR series was great and I know some people are upset that it's a MMO now, and maybe it won't be a good game. But the only way anyone will know is when it comes out.

[quote name='rivacom'] The KOTOR series was great and I know some people are upset that it's a MMO now, and maybe it won't be a good game. But the only way anyone will know is when it comes out.[/quote]

I am upset over this, but like you said, we'll see how it turns out.

Not interested.

I played Galaxies for the first couple of years, and then got out of it.

The art style they've previewed looks disappointing to me, as well.

[quote name='Jek Porkins']Not interested.

I played Galaxies for the first couple of years, and then got out of it.

The art style they've previewed looks disappointing to me, as well.[/quote]

Really? That's great that you played Galaxies.

Anyways, can't believe you guys are crying about this. This is awesome, can't wait to play it; I love MMORPG's.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Really? That's great that you played Galaxies.

Anyways, can't believe you guys are crying about this. This is awesome, can't wait to play it; I love MMORPG's.[/quote]

What about the people who don't like MMORPG's? What about the people who liked KOTOR single player?

EDIT: George Lucas needs to eat a dick. Clone Wars and now this bullshit? WTF? They even have the giant kid sized lightsaber in one of the screenshots!

I have to agree with DarknessBear on this one. I don't understand why anyone would be upset by this. THIS GAME IS NOT KOTOR III!!! It will use similar characters and settings but it is not intended to be KOTOR III. Nothing is stopping BioWare from doing KOTOR III down the road sometime. If you don't like MMO's then don't buy the game, it's not intended for you. This game is just another MMO that happens to be set in the same universe as the KOTOR RPG's. Getting upset by this just doesn't make sense to me at all.

bread's done
Back