Starcraft 2 Beta Codes at GAMESTOP with Pre-order

Apathetic-Irony

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Gamestop is giving out Starcraft 2 Beta Codes when you pre-order Starcraft 2. This means you can get into the beta for $5.

Codes are still going for over $80 on ebay, so if this doesn't catch on, you could probably turn this around for profit too.

I just did this about an hour ago.
[quote name='evenfl0w']It's on the main page of Gamestop's site now.

Reserve StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty and receive an invitation to the StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty beta. Available online and in-store while supplies last. Once you recieve your Beta Code your order cannot be canceled.
Online Customers (web delivery): A code and instructions on how to join the beta will be emailed within 1 business day of when your order was placed.

In-Store Pickup Customers: Please wait 24 hours after your order is placed, then proceed to your store to pick up your beta code.

Store Customers: A beta code will be printed on your pre-order receipt.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='Hydro2Oxide'][quote name='help1']If I preorder this in store, can I cancel it later?[/QUOTE]No. After you get the beta key you're locked in but it only costs 5 dollars.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok guys just got off the phone with gamestop. First off EVERYONE SHOULD GET THE CODE. I had my preorder set in stone since day one CE was made available. I called to get the 3 day shipping and ask where my code is and the guy said that it was sent out. I told him I never got it and he personally resent it to me. So if you haven't gotten it yet you may need to call up and ask about it.

Also they said they couldn't get me the free 3 day so they are crediting my account with 5 bucks. It sucks I won't get 3 day but whatever, its better than nothing.

I hate gamestop...
I can't get the 25% off the CE with a filler, NOR can i get the 3-day free shipping option to work...
What am i doing wrong?

Edit: This is awesome.. I'm refreshing my cart and sometimes the 25% is taken off, and sometimes its not. I feel like I'm flipping a coin right now.

I never received the e-mail with the Beta, I called and they resent the e-mail ... tried to use both the codes and they had been used ... so great, not only am I out 2 beta codes but I just realized my e-mail account has been compromised for who knows how long ... time to make some changes ...

Just a heads up, had a friend pick me and him up some beta keys and the guy accidentally only put 1 key on the receipt. Luckily he caught it and had him fix it but if you buy 2 make sure you check.

I got the email for the Beta Code access and pre-ordered it at GS the day it was announced. I don't see it saying anywhere I can cancel it here if a better bundle arises.

The 3-day free shipping wasn't updated on my account though.

Gamestop customer service said you can't use a code AND get the free 3-day shipping, just in case any of you are wondering. I do seem to have free 5-10 day shipping though. If the fellow above me used a code like the 25OFF code, I am angry. ;) Or he got lucky.

[quote name='Mag215']I got the email for the Beta Code access and pre-ordered it at GS the day it was announced. I don't see it saying anywhere I can cancel it here if a better bundle arises.

The 3-day free shipping wasn't updated on my account though.[/QUOTE]

No you can't cancel it after you get the key. I made the same mistake but I'll just return or sell the CE once it ever releases if I dont want it.

I preordered the first day the CE was available. I went to my Gamestop today and had them do their song and dance to get me a new receipt with the Beta code on it. Came directly home, put in the key, and it said it had already been used. Called their support and they are supposed to email me a new code, but I don't see how the one I physically got in the store would have already been used. Leave it to Gamestop to screw up something so simple. . . .

someone else said a few pages back that the employee just pulled out a sheet of paper and wrote one down for him so maybe it pulls it from a list and the code was already used by a different employee at that same store.

Thanks OP. Just got back from my local gamestop and preordered for $5 for the beta code. They told me even after activating the beta code I can still cancel and get my $5 back if I want too later on because it is in-store. Linked it to my bnet account and downloading now.

[quote name='palejackal']Gamestop customer service said you can't use a code AND get the free 3-day shipping, just in case any of you are wondering. I do seem to have free 5-10 day shipping though. If the fellow above me used a code like the 25OFF code, I am angry. ;) Or he got lucky.[/QUOTE]

The shipping is not a new code so technically it can be applied with any discount given. No reason they can apply the 3-day and the code if they already shipped me a Beta Key...

[quote name='ShockandAww']No you can't cancel it after you get the key. I made the same mistake but I'll just return or sell the CE once it ever releases if I dont want it.[/QUOTE]

Just talked to the people on the phone. Applied the 3-day shipping and said if I wanted to cancel it later for a legit reason, they can't hold me back.

The beta code is just a reason to pre-order it. They don't lock you into the sale.

(recommend taking down the GS employee name/date called. Store hates it when you have information about the employee cause it actually makes you right)

[quote name='Ardrid']Damn, 10% sales tax? Where do you live Motz?[/QUOTE]
Arizona, tax is 8.1% I believe, and they do it off the original price before th 25% off... so $8 each.

[quote name='palejackal']Gamestop customer service said you can't use a code AND get the free 3-day shipping, just in case any of you are wondering. I do seem to have free 5-10 day shipping though. If the fellow above me used a code like the 25OFF code, I am angry. ;) Or he got lucky.[/QUOTE]

I asked them if because of the 25OFF code I couldn't do the free 3 day and the guy said that it was fine because they are doing free 3 day on all SC2 no matter what.

Although I had 2 copies of SC2 CE... NO filler

[quote name='KhaosX']So for those who got their 3-day shipping, did anyone do it with the CE + filler?[/QUOTE]
the filler ships as soon as your card clears pretty much so it only apply's to S.C.2.

Just called them up. "Ian" or so thats what i thought i heard swapped my CE + 99cent order to 3 day shipping(for CE only).

[quote name='KhaosX']Just called them up. "Ian" or so thats what i thought i heard swapped my CE + 99cent order to 3 day shipping(for CE only).[/QUOTE]

Hey we got the same rep... had to wait a good 5 minutes before they had someone free though. Amazing.

It took a lot of doing but I was able to place an order with the 25off coupon. Could not get the free 3 day shipping to work with the 25off but plan on calling cust service. The 3 day shipping works, as long as you have no other coupon.

Weird thing, is the cart checkout had no bearing on the final page. I could not get this to work in firefox, so I switched to IE and was able to get the 25off coupon working.

Still didn't really get an answer to this, so I'll ask again (probably a dumb question).

Did the 25OFF by adding a 99 cent game. Says it should ship in 24 hours. Of course, SC2 still says it's a pre-order. Gamestop is smart enough to just charge me for the 99 cent game when it ships and not the whole cost, right?

[quote name='Strell']Still didn't really get an answer to this, so I'll ask again (probably a dumb question).

Did the 25OFF by adding a 99 cent game. Says it should ship in 24 hours. Of course, SC2 still says it's a pre-order. Gamestop is smart enough to just charge me for the 99 cent game when it ships and not the whole cost, right?[/QUOTE]
yes, they only charged for the 99cent game. my cc havent been changed the preorder (they might preapprove it) but it hasn't been deducted yet.

on a side note, anybody else preorder a week ago gotten their keys yet? i just call and they say they're still emailing but i hate it when early adapters get screw when if i preordered it today i would have gotten it already :bomb:

[quote name='Strell']Still didn't really get an answer to this, so I'll ask again (probably a dumb question).

Did the 25OFF by adding a 99 cent game. Says it should ship in 24 hours. Of course, SC2 still says it's a pre-order. Gamestop is smart enough to just charge me for the 99 cent game when it ships and not the whole cost, right?[/QUOTE]

What what I've gathered, its going to charge you for what shipped (the 99cent game) and you'll have the sc2 just pending. I think Gstop essentially treats them as two different orders now which is why each item has its own shipping choice. You'll be just fine, because who knows when SC2 is actually coming out (and when you'll have to pay for it).

So, did anyone manage to get the $4.99 additional fee for collector's edition refunded? That rep Ian upgraded to 3 day shipping but would not refund the $4.99 saying that even with free 3 day shipping now, that I would still have to pay $4.99 again if I ordered another copy...well I tried to order another copy and of course, 3 day shipping is free, go figure.

[quote name='Ruitakim']So, did anyone manage to get the $4.99 additional fee for collector's edition refunded? That rep Ian upgraded to 3 day shipping but would not refund the $4.99 saying that even with free 3 day shipping now, that I would still have to pay $4.99 again if I ordered another copy...well I tried to order another copy and of course, 3 day shipping is free, go figure.[/QUOTE]

What additional fee are you referring to?

Called up Gamestop and asked them to get me a beta key and change my shipping to the free 3 day shipping. The guy flat out refused to change my shipping and semi-promised that he would get me a key. Not quite the response I was hoping for...
Should I try again to get the shipping changed on my order?

For all the peopel asking about the 4.99 thing, it seems like after putting it up, they removed it again from the page, so I think they changed their minds on it perhaps?

Anyway, for all the people that preordered online (I put my order in yesterday, what timing!), has anyone gotten theirs yet? I imagine GS has a lot of work to do on the first wave of online keys due to how many already made preorders (and will continue to, as well as the surge due to the most recent announcement).

[quote name='flameofdoom666']What additional fee are you referring to?[/QUOTE]

If you ordered the collector's edition few days ago before this preorder beta key, they charged you an additional $4.99 shipping since it's a heavy item? That's what the first rep said. Though, I e-mailed and called again, and the rep this time said that they processed a refund request for the $4.99 additional shipping fee and that I would see it updated in 24 hrs, guess I'll post again tomorrow if it ever updates on their website.

I called the customer service line and I believe I got an agent pretending to be an automated message. He read the standard gamestop selfserve menu options and hung up. I think this because he had to stop and breathe. That's kind of ridiculous, just pretending to be a machine then hanging up.

I imagine they're busy since people are calling and demanding pre-order codes. Did any Cagers have to call multiple times? I sent an e-mail asking if they would upgrade me to the 3 day shipping, but maybe I should call in tomorrow or something.

[quote name='WasabiJoe']I called the customer service line and I believe I got an agent pretending to be an automated message. He read the standard gamestop selfserve menu options and hung up. I think this because he had to stop and breathe. That's kind of ridiculous, just pretending to be a machine then hanging up.

I imagine they're busy since people are calling and demanding pre-order codes. Did any Cagers have to call multiple times? I sent an e-mail asking if they would upgrade me to the 3 day shipping, but maybe I should call in tomorrow or something.[/QUOTE]

I had the urge to call it as well earlier, but then I did have to stop and think about it, realizing there are probably tons of people calling in asking "I preordered 12 hours ago, why I havent I gotten my code that was promised to me TODAY within 24 hours", and they are probably annoyed to death. I placed my order yesterday before the announcement, and I am wondering when mine will come, but cosndiering how many codes they have to fulfill all at once for online orders, I imagine it will take a bit to crank out that first bunch of emails.

[quote name='Ruitakim']If you ordered the collector's edition few days ago before this preorder beta key, they charged you an additional $4.99 shipping since it's a heavy item? That's what the first rep said. Though, I e-mailed and called again, and the rep this time said that they processed a refund request for the $4.99 additional shipping fee and that I would see it updated in 24 hrs, guess I'll post again tomorrow if it ever updates on their website.[/QUOTE]

Ahhh, that is absurd. I ordered mine today with the 25% off, so I didn't see the 4.99 extra charge, but I did not get 3 day shipping either. I will call them in a day or so about that.

[quote name='Fatsobob']Called up Gamestop and asked them to get me a beta key and change my shipping to the free 3 day shipping. The guy flat out refused to change my shipping and semi-promised that he would get me a key. Not quite the response I was hoping for...
Should I try again to get the shipping changed on my order?[/QUOTE]

I would try again. The changes just were applied to my account. The 3-day shipping is a pre-order special and does not reflect any discount that you've applied for previous. Like one CAG said, they are probably dealing with people all day on the Starcraft 2 pre-orders. I mean Amazon.com is saying it's #35 on sales this week and they haven't even announced a street date!

[quote name='flameofdoom666']Ahhh, that is absurd. I ordered mine today with the 25% off, so I didn't see the 4.99 extra charge, but I did not get 3 day shipping either. I will call them in a day or so about that.[/QUOTE]

Thats funny, I didn't get the fee applied on. Thats what gamestop gets for pre-ordering something before they get all the facts.

i'd suggest calling back whenever you have some free time. Don't go crazy, you'll find somebody that will apply it. Hopefully they have more then 1 person working the phones for corporate ;)

[quote name='subwayeatbig']Nice... the Gamestop rep upgraded me to overnight shipping when I called about the value shipping[/QUOTE]

Lucky. I wouldn't mind that.

are you people telling them you applied the 25off code also? All I said was "I pre-ordered S.C.2 and I got my beta key but have not gotten the bonus free 3 day shipping can you please apply it?" and it worked fine.

Are you guys absolutely sure that 25OFF works on SC2 CE edition? because I had to cancel just now while the Gamestop Service says that item isn't eligible for 25OFF =l

[quote name='paintball745']don't forget to add a $0.99 filler game also then it will work.[/QUOTE]
I did that as well, doesn't seem to work at all, can only assume they changed their policy or something:bomb:

[quote name='paintball745']maybe you picked a crappy game lol.[/QUOTE]
The thing is it "does" show the 25OFF on the CE but it disappears once u purchased it, anyone that already bought should double check that they got the discount :

ok a little update, I called a few of my local GS stores just to see if they knew anything about when website orderers would get the game.

First place was running a disinformation campaign it felt like. The guy said that peopel who ordered it from the website would NOT be getting a key, and that if you wanted one PERIOD you'd have to come into the store and cancel your preorder from the site and reorder from them. Yawn.

Second store said that it may take a week for the website preorders, but also mentioned something interesting. He said that if you ordered it before the announcement today they may not give a key either.....huh, that was odd.

In case it helps, I just called GS (for a seperate primary reason) and they did indeed confirm that the beta key offer only extends to basically yesterday, maybe the day before that, but it is not totally retroactive.

They said that me having ordered it yesterday means I should get one, although I would likely need to wait another 24 hours, so I likely wont see mine until tommorow. Sounds like they won't be sending any until tommorow.

bread's done
Back