Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm Preorder $39.99 ($20 less than elsewhere)

[quote name='lilseung']This game doesn't add anything to "sc2" other than few extra units and a single player script that nobody cares about. Games like Guild wars is much more debatable than sc2.[/QUOTE]
6401703g69.gif

[quote name='martyback']Yes, just like Fallout New Vegas was a Fallout 3 expansion and Rayman Origins a Rayman 3 expansion and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas a GTA 3 expansion, etc.

It is an expansion though but a standalone one. It's much more than an add-on. Even so, I do think they're charging more than they would've if they were still independent.[/QUOTE]

good job proving me wrong and then proving yourself wrong and agreeing with me. this whole thread is a shitstorm of awesomeness.

edit: also, you would've been right, except for the fact that you completely missed the point I was making. NONE of those games you pointed out, have the original name of the game in the title. Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm, it says RIGHT IN THE TITLE that it's Starcraft 2, and then has a subtitle Heart of the Swarm. Essentially indicating it is an expansion to Starcraft 2. Fallout New Vegas is a sequel, it isn't Fallout 3: New Vegas (though it might as well have been titled that...)

Am I saying Heart of the Swarm isn't getting the attention/work put into it that a full fledged sequel of Starcraft would get? No, but it really isn't though, is it? Am I saying it's not worth a full price tag... no. And you could argue it either is or isn't worth a full sequel release. But this is an expansion to Starcraft 2, it's not a sequel.

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']good job proving me wrong and then proving yourself wrong and agreeing with me. this whole thread is a shitstorm of awesomeness.

edit: also, you would've been right, except for the fact that you completely missed the point I was making. NONE of those games you pointed out, have the original name of the game in the title. Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm, it says RIGHT IN THE TITLE that it's Starcraft 2, and then has a subtitle Heart of the Swarm. Essentially indicating it is an expansion to Starcraft 2. Fallout New Vegas is a sequel, it isn't Fallout 3: New Vegas (though it might as well have been titled that...)

Am I saying Heart of the Swarm isn't getting the attention/work put into it that a full fledged sequel of Starcraft would get? No, but it really isn't though, is it? Am I saying it's not worth a full price tag... no. And you could argue it either is or isn't worth a full sequel release. But this is an expansion to Starcraft 2, it's not a sequel.[/QUOTE]

Based on that logic Final Fantasy X-2, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World, and every Zelda entry since the original NES release are all expansions. In fact Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty must have been an expansion itself because it says "Starcraft 2" followed by some more text. That's just silly.

As someone pointed out earlier their FAQ essentially says "We view Heart of the Swarm as an expansion and will price it accordingly, but as an expansion you will be required to own Wings of Liberty." So the lower price looks attractive and encourages sales while the added requirement of owning the first title increases the cost of entry for new players wanting to jump in, offsetting the difference in price.

In any case whether they call it an expansion or not is more of a business decision than a technical one and not really worth arguing about. The game is going to be great either way.

First world motherfucking problems right here in this thread folks :D

Why does it even really matter? If its a game that is stand alone or a required original game only, if you get a ton of replay out of it, a good solid campaign, and enjoy it, then why would it matter if it was 40 bucks. You people, tisk tisk.

[quote name='plus1zero']I've never played SC2 before, my walmart has it on clearance for 35, is it worth that?[/QUOTE]

You can download a free demo that gives you the first couple of missions to try it out

I would recommend doing this because SC2 isn't everyones cup of tea.

Thank you for the heads up! I still find it hard to believe that Blizzard would charge $60 for an expansion.

This was posted yesterday, but it went OOS rather fast. Also, this turned into a discussion on what an expansion really is, one of those people being me, but I am gonna sit this one out.

Good deal - missed out on yesterday's offering.

No more debate is needed if this is an expansion or not.

It's listed at $39.99 - if you think the price is fair, buy it. If not, thanks for looking.

It popped up in my gold box so i ended up preordering... I still haven't finished the last one so good chance i'll cancel but it doesn't hurt to hold on to the deal right now.

pre-ordered, why not. If it's truly an expansion then it's regular price, whatever the case I was getting this game. Love SC, SC2 and all that jazz. Still playing SC2 after a year and a half.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']Do you like RTS games? Blizzard is known to make the best ones in the world. The other being the Warcraft series. So if RTS isn't your thing I wouldn't advise it, but if you enjoy it even a tiny bit I'd say it's easily worth it.[/QUOTE]

Starcraft 2 is the best RTS from 10 years ago.

[quote name='Lemarfanz']Starcraft 2 is the best RTS from 10 years ago.[/QUOTE]

Right, because the older a game gets the worse it gets. Games from 2002 and earlier are pure crap. Oh and also games that are still played all over and are extremely popular are also bad...

You don't like it fine, you don't need to. I still don't get why people like you get off on bashing other peoples likes.

"Official pricing and release date have not been announced by the publisher. These are estimates only and subject to change."

Hmm, that doesn't mean they'll cancel these orders if the price goes up right? Not sure if Amazon ever cancels orders like that.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']Right, because the older a game gets the worse it gets. Games from 2002 and earlier are pure crap. Oh and also games that are still played all over and are extremely popular are also bad...

You don't like it fine, you don't need to. I still don't get why people like you get off on bashing other peoples likes.[/QUOTE]

Don't worry, this was the argument when the game first released. He's just trying to be funny, it's an old (and ridiculous) statement. SC2 is one of the most popular games out there right now.

[quote name='V878']"Official pricing and release date have not been announced by the publisher. These are estimates only and subject to change."

Hmm, that doesn't mean they'll cancel these orders if the price goes up right? Not sure if Amazon ever cancels orders like that.[/QUOTE]

When SC2 came out in 2010, people who pre-ordered at 49.99 got their orders at that price so I'm 99% sure that we are safe.

Thanks, in for one, at least until they announce the CE, I figure if there isn't one and this is really priced at 50-60, i'll get in on the lower price.

[quote name='Lemarfanz']that's an absurd price for an expansion[/QUOTE]

It's a whole new beefy campaign. Online will feature new units and such, but the single player is all new. They seperated all the campaigns (Terran, Zerg then Protoss last) IMHO a awesome idea (and more money for Blizzard.)

[quote name='MRJ88']Thank you for the heads up! I still find it hard to believe that Activision-Blizzard would charge $60 for an expansion.[/QUOTE]

There, fixed :cool:

[quote name='Josh5890']When SC2 came out in 2010, people who pre-ordered at 49.99 got their orders at that price so I'm 99% sure that we are safe.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's probably true. Just never saw them put up a note like that for a game, but I guess it makes sense since we don't know what the MSRP for this is supposed to be.

[quote name='Josh5890']When SC2 came out in 2010, people who pre-ordered at 49.99 got their orders at that price so I'm 99% sure that we are safe.[/QUOTE]
this. And I am 99.98% confident.

So, I went full throttle and decided to lock in at this price. I don't really consider HotS to be an expansion.

With as much fun as I had playing through SCII single player this is a no-brainer for me.

Don't really care if I'm 'doing it wrong' I had a good time and got my money out of it. I know I'll get $40 worth out of this one, plus I can play online if I choose to get my ass wiped.

bread's done
Back