Starcraft 2: Legacy of the Void

Is 6 pool noobish? I just started playing Zerg. In a custom the player asked if i was noob, I just ignore chatter usually. So i get my lings up there before he has a zealot pumped out and says "yes you are" and then leaves. Wtf?

[quote name='BackInBlack']Is 6 pool noobish? I just started playing Zerg. In a custom the player asked if i was noob, I just ignore chatter usually. So i get my lings up there before he has a zealot pumped out and says "yes you are" and then leaves. Wtf?[/QUOTE]

When they lose, yes, you're a noob. When they win, you're still a noob

That's the way it goes with all internet games

[quote name='BackInBlack']Is 6 pool noobish? I just started playing Zerg. In a custom the player asked if i was noob, I just ignore chatter usually. So i get my lings up there before he has a zealot pumped out and says "yes you are" and then leaves. Wtf?[/QUOTE]

Going to have to say that yes, that's a 'noobish' move. It doesn't teach you anything or evolve you as a player, you pretty much just throw dice. It also preys on lower level players but once you get to ~gold/play where people scout, it won't work for you anymore.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Going to have to say that yes, that's a 'noobish' move. It doesn't teach you anything or evolve you as a player, you pretty much just throw dice. It also preys on lower level players but once you get to ~gold/play where people scout, it won't work for you anymore.[/QUOTE]

So taking advantage of opponent's openings for quick wins = noobish gotcha

[quote name='kilm']So taking advantage of opponent's openings for quick wins = noobish gotcha[/QUOTE]

If he knew his opponents mentality and their lack of scouting, by all means it's a good play. If he throws out an early scout and sees such an obvious weakness, it's a good play.

If you roll dice and cross fingers, that's not a very good play.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']If he knew his opponents mentality and their lack of scouting, by all means it's a good play. If he throws out an early scout and sees such an obvious weakness, it's a good play.

If you roll dice and cross fingers, that's not a very good play.[/QUOTE]

So taking advantage of opponent's openings for quick wins =/= noobish wow make up your mind

Yeah, he didn't scout, so i figured there was no need to transition, i'm just learning zerg so I'm just trying everything to know the ins and outs.

Everyone is a noob unless they play pro. That's what the internets say.

Actually now that i think about it, I've seen casual players refer to pro's as noobs just because they aren't as good as their favorite pro.

DarkRider23 - Joementum - 314

Just finished my placement matches and got placed in a Platinum league. Looking for people to have fun in 3v3s/4v4s with so add me or give me your name and I'll add ya.

[quote name='kilm']So taking advantage of opponent's openings for quick wins =/= noobish wow make up your mind[/QUOTE]

He hasn't given me sufficient information about his 6 pooling for me to make a call which is why I represented a few possibilities. I can't find the exact video, but Dimaga was playing some toss player who liked to do a forge fast expand. It was a Bo3 or Bo5, so he'd figured this out after a match or two. He 7 pooled the guy and mopped up hard because the other guy felt so safe in a high level game, not expecting some serious cheese. THAT was a smart move.

Ultimately it's situational. I find players who rely on cannon rushes or single digit pools very weak players, not very good fundamentals or ability to recover/transition. Therefore I steer anyone away from it who asks about it as a viable strat.

[quote name='BattleChicken']noob is the new English for cigarette - It is as simple as that. Someone who throws out either word liberally is a complete douchebag.[/QUOTE]

'Tis why I put the word in single quotes, I'm really not a fan.

So. You know that part in O Brother where George Clooney is trying to buy car parts but nothing's in stock and shipping them in would take, like, three weeks?

And then he tries to buy some of his favourite hair treatment but they don't have it they have Fop and he doesn't want Fop, god dammit, he's a Dapper Dan man! but it would take three weeks to order some in?

Turns out my city is kinda like that, only with computer parts.

So, anything happen while I was gone?

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']If he knew his opponents mentality and their lack of scouting, by all means it's a good play. If he throws out an early scout and sees such an obvious weakness, it's a good play.

If you roll dice and cross fingers, that's not a very good play.[/QUOTE]
in the last osl finals, jaedong (the 2nd best brood war player) blindly 4 pooled in a bo5. twice.

he won the first, but lost the second. and the second match, he successfully scouted on a 4 player map, while the first was a 2 player map.

(and to those of you who don't know jaedong, he is by far one of the best players to ever play the game.)

tbh i think it kinda sucks when you play pickup matches but whatever, it's part of the game regardless

I played my first games in a while last night, 3 1v1s. Lost 2, won 1. Didn't roll terran, so I couldn't try the terran PF build I've wanted to try.. i'm friggin doing it the next time I'm terran.

I really lose my focus and thus play poorly when I don't play for a couple of days. I'm way too nice after coming off a break. I need to be willing to kill my enemy's babies in their sleep, instead I'm making them cookies and tea, so we can have ever so much fun!

i lost 4 in a row 1v1.

if you watch flash in BW, he has impeccable timing. like there's a really small window where his army is seconds away from being perfectly countered, but somehow he knows when to attack just RIGHT before that and with perfect positioning and everything.

so for me it was the opposite.
in all 4 games i attacked a few seconds later than i should have. colossi popping, muta harass inc to base, in-base bunker popped few seconds later than needed... *sigh*

Oh yeah.. so one of my losses yesterday - one I really shouldn't have lost... - was a game with me as zerg against a terran. he mostly did tank/marine/marauder. I was able to repell him repeatedly with zerg ground forces with acceptable losses.

I *LOVE* the tank changes so much...

I only lose because I never appropriately pressed my advantages, and my production was way too low (that 'too nice' thing I mentioned earlier)

[quote name='KhaosX']Everyone is a noob unless they play pro. That's what the internets say.

Actually now that i think about it, I've seen casual players refer to pro's as noobs just because they aren't as good as their favorite pro.[/QUOTE]

my definition of noob: anyone that's worse than me :D

[quote name='yukine']As a Terran that has gone MMT, the thing that has owned me is when the Zerg gets Mutas.[/QUOTE]

If the terran goes MMT, and it doesn't immediately work, the transition into thor is trivial - one building.

2-3 thor demolish muta, and are now actually more effective than tanks in general against zerg forces since so many zerg units are light.

I'll try that, I haven't really ever used Thors unless it's TvT, since they feel kind of useless to me. But I'm also a Gold player so, yeah.

I don't get why thors aren't used more.. they deal AOE + to light damage to air, their base armor is 1, and their HP is really high - there is no better anti muta unit in the game. They have huge amounts of HP and deal great ground damage to all armor types.

I'll take a thor over two tanks any day.

Well, seeing as how I play neither of those races, my guess...

Magic box negates some AoE benefits + surrendering a goodly bit of map control?

Meh. Not everyone uses magic box, and thors outrange muta by quite a lot, so thor get in free shots before muta are in attack range.

Muta will ALWAYS win against tanks, tanks do about the same as thor against roach, and post patch thor do better against hydra. Lings are a problem for both, but thats why marines and/or marauder should accompany thor.

If I'm in a long game where I have a lot of units, I'll usually make both thor and tanks. With the recent changes, if I do a terran metal build I think I'll skip tanks entirely against zerg opting for heavier marauder and/or thor.

I just thought of something. Remember in Beta when concussive shells turned into a research first ability at 100/100 80s? If I recall in the pro-scene, terran could not stand up against early protoss anymore, which is why they dropped it to 50/50 60s. Now with zealots buildtime increase, shouldn't shells go back up in value or time to offset?

I've had SC2 for a week now. I've been working my way through the campaign(it is pretty fun and I like the variety in the missions). Playing my 1v1 placement matches I went 2-3 and got placed into bronze. After a week now my record there is near 50/50 at 16-17 with a win streak of 6 now. How long does it take to get moved up to another league?

Oh and I played some 3v3 for fun last night and I went 4-1. I was pretty much carried by my teammates though and got placed into Platinum. Now I'm really scared to play a game there and make my teammates lose. Any suggestions?

If you're winning 50/50, you may be in the proper league.

Its a function of how many games you win against people in leagues above you. Win most in your current league and win more than 50% of the games in people above your league and you'll get moved up eventually.

[quote name='BattleChicken']If you're winning 50/50, you may be in the proper league.

Its a function of how many games you win against people in leagues above you. Win most in your current league and win more than 50% of the games in people above your league and you'll get moved up eventually.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah I understand that. What I meant that when I started in bronze I literally went like 3-10 the first couple of days. Now that I've learned BO's and macro/micro I've been steamrolling and haven't lost in a couple of days. My win/loss ration will be far above 1 tonight hopefully. So b.net matches us up against people in other leagues as well?

[quote name='holyconfessor']Oh yeah I understand that. What I meant that when I started in bronze I literally went like 3-10 the first couple of days. Now that I've learned BO's and macro/micro I've been steamrolling and haven't lost in a couple of days. My win/loss ration will be far above 1 tonight hopefully. So b.net matches us up against people in other leagues as well?[/QUOTE]

You'll start getting matched with silvers. If you beat a good lot of them, then golds etc.. Once you finally lose, it'll place you somewhere.

i just got accused of map hacking b/c i guessed where the other player's base was. we were playing the ravine map. i was top left. sent my overlord to top right. didn't see a probe so i figured he was bottom right. after i beat him, he sent me: "enjoy the ban hammer."

i did the mature thing and reported him for harassment :)

Eh, I once got accused of map hacking. I was Terran, and he was dumbfounded how I was able to discern where his mass of Battlecruisers were located without sending any units at them. He had them stored near a mineral field and I was scanning for his expansions. He never put two and two together....

Turns out cannon rushing is still super effective in high division gold.

I end up getting called a lot of things, but I also get a win against favored opponents. +44 per win is nice.

~HotShotX

Just saw the ultra bug live in action. Wrecked my partners base with it. I swear the one game muta harassing would have gotten me the win I don't do it...

I just had an Epic random 4v4 quick match. I'll make this simple as possible. Megaton, ally is cannon rushed. We start getting rushed. I was teching voids. All Allies leave. I proceed to devastate 3 of their mains with 3 vrs. Survived 25+ minutes by myself. I feel godlike.

[quote name='KhaosX']Just saw the ultra bug live in action. Wrecked my partners base with it. I swear the one game muta harassing would have gotten me the win I don't do it...[/QUOTE]
ultras are weird

like fine, they do tons of splash to repairing scvs, sure...

but as long as you don't get sneak attacked by one in the back of the base, they are so easy to take out and their AI is stupid so they often run around in battles doing nothing

I finally got some time to goof around with the terran defense build.. it works in 3v3, if nothing else. I have one of the most fun 3v3s I've ever done using it.. Me, an OK protoss and a terrible terran against 3 decent enemies. My favorite point in the game was when I fought off all three enemies using a combination of my expand's planetary fortress and some thor.. I ended the game with twice everyone else's score.

But I did it three times, and all three games we won. None of them were against pathetic opponents either.. though I will admit that a few games ended before I could do much with my insane economy.

The build i was toying with went something like 9 depot 10 gas 12 rax, 14 engineering bay, 15 or 16 gas.

Right as the eng finished, i had enough gas to build the gun. I think i got 400 right around the time the gun finished, started a second command center touching my first one, research range increase, factory, 1-2 AA turrets... then it kind of diverged. the second com also got a PF, and my econ became absurd.. I ended up doing heavy thor most of the games, but I also did viking/banshee. Both worked well. It works way better against zerg and protoss.. somewhat dangerous against terran.

Unless both players were doing the same build, it wouldn't work well in a 2v2, but in a 3v3 or 4v4, nobody expects it and its really fun to do.

I am really interested in this game but would really like to try it before I go out and pick it up so if anyone has a spare buddy pass could you please pm me?

Thanks.....

For more or less no other reason than liking the color of the icon, my last several games I've been working on getting my 4v4r into the diamond league.

I played two or three games where I'm fairly certain I couldn't have improved my macro at all, ended with my score being by far the highest, but still lost the game.

Those are the kinds of matches I like best.. I played really hard and even though I wasn't able to pull off a win (in games where it was more or less 2v4 at best) being challenged is the best way to get better at the game.

I see the proposed 'rax needs depot' change to have a lot of unindented consequences - terran will be far more vulnerable to 6 pools now, IMO.

I know in a 1v1, if i have an inkling the zerg is going to 7 or 10 pool I do a 8 or 9 rax, and close off as fast as I can. I'll then have a marine when they get to my gate, which usually repels them. If I have to build my depot first, it'll be just long enough that the zerg will be pounding on my door for longer than I'd be comfortable with.

I like the reaper changes.. however I feel that they need to adjust the build time back to pre 1.1 levels if they make these changes.

The roach range increase, if it is an upgrade, is a great idea - i love it.

With the depot req, does the reaper speed really need to req a factory? Heck at that point I'd rather just build hellions. I see no reason to build them outside of fooling around in a 4v4.

They should just call reapers a failure and scrap them at this point. The unit is either going to be too good or too bad with all the bitching from either side. The depot before racks is uncalled for in my opinion, what happens if you sen an early scout out and catch a 7 pool but haven't laid down your first racks yet? (As unlikely as that is...) then you're fucked! Pylons take 5 seconds less and get built one supply earlier with no hit on econ so they're not as big of a deal of a requirment as a sup dep and Zerg obviously don't need a second overlord for spawning pool.

Just my small rants, as with most patches it's never the last one. They'll change it again for sure and I don't mind waiting for balance equilibrium.

bread's done
Back