Starcraft II Beta Code free with pre-order at Amazon (ReleaseDate: 07/27/2010)

Japakneez

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
I just received a code in my email for my amazon purchase. The main page does not mention it at all, so it may only be for those that already pre-ordered. I'll update the thread when we find out more.

http://www.amazon.com/Starcraft-II-..._2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1271943658&sr=8-2

It now officially applies for new and exisiting orders.
Get a Free Code to Participate in the "StarCraft II" Beta
Pre-order StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty and get a free code to participate in the StarCraft II beta. The code will be emailed to you within 5 business days after you place your order. Offer valid when shipped and sold by Amazon.com. Offer valid on all existing orders. Limit of both one per household and one per customer. Amazon reserves the right to change or terminate this promotion at any time. Here's how (restrictions apply).
update: Game release date is now July 27, 2010 :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Playing the beta a bit, I have to say it's everything I wanted from a sequel. It keeps the same basic formula but gives it a giant overhaul. The gameplay streamlining is something I've been waiting for since forever, it's the completely natural and welcomed progression that I wanted to see from the game. It might take over a decade to come out, but that doesn't make it any less worthy of a sequel. The last thing I want is something like Supreme Commander 2 where it takes half the reason that its predacessor was so compelling and dumps it to fit into the genre's norms.

Plus, I'm still at awe over how good it looks...I was expecting another Warcraft 3, but the visual quality and how seemlessly it integrates with the gameplay was a pleasent surprise. The way that units move and react now seems incredibly natural, watching a swarm of zerglings pour into a base is a joy no matter how many times I see it...even if it's my own base that's being destroyed.

I don't know why people are saying its a HD version of SC because it isn't, on max settings SC2 looks gorgeous and the core is still there but at the same time the game is completely different, so many new units and buildings and strategies the game is amazing

and yeah it took 10 years to come out but it hasn't been in development for 10 years also what alot of people fail to realize is blizzard is about gameplay, they may not have crysis graphics but unlike crysis blizzards games has style and substance, gameplay always delivers and they like to have their games run on virtually every machine, they don't wanna just cater to people who have 4000$ pcs

shouldn't they warn you with fine print or whatever if you cancel your preorder after claiming your beta key?

There is mac verison of the beta?? So mac users have to use boot camp , parrells 5.0 or something like that. ??? I have all macs and plan to order this monday morning. Can anyone let me know thanks.

man freaking gmail flagged my beta key email as spam.. i usually never look in that folder so good thing I saw this topic and checked there when it wasn't in my inbox.

-1 to gmail for almost missing out
+1 to cag for well being cag

[quote name='styl3s'] but unlike crysis blizzards games has style and substance, [/QUOTE]

Crysis has both. It's a great and fun shooter that also looks better than anything out there. I guess some people favor RTS gameplay over FPS gameplay.

[quote name='triforcer']shouldn't they warn you with fine print or whatever if you cancel your preorder after claiming your beta key?[/QUOTE]

Yes definitely. If they want people to stop screwing them they need to fix the offer details and be specific. It doesn't say anywhere that I can't pre-order the game AND THEN CANCEL once I have my beta key. It simply says I need to pre-order and says nothing about any charges. I'd highly doubt anyone will get charged for canceling. I'd be surprised to say the least. I'm not going to mess with Amazon like that because they're too awesome but still they need to fix that unless they don't really mind.

how long has it taken for most of you guys to get your beta key from Amazon?

It's been 2 days since I preordered now.

[quote name='flameofdoom666']Though, for Starcraft II, I wish they adopted hero units from WarCraft. I loved them.[/QUOTE]

That's probably the first and last time I'll hear that. Don't get me wrong, I loved Warcraft 3, its just that a lot of people hated that aspect of the game. I think its good to keep Starcraft the way it is and leave the rts/rpg hybrid stuff to Warcraft.

[quote name='Tooki']That's probably the first and last time I'll hear that. Don't get me wrong, I loved Warcraft 3, its just that a lot of people hated that aspect of the game. I think its good to keep Starcraft the way it is and leave the rts/rpg hybrid stuff to Warcraft.[/QUOTE]

Eh.. You might want to check out some of the blizzcon footage from a couple years back about the mod editor they have for starcraft 2. If they're keeping true to their word, they had one instance where you could play around in third-person shooter mode. If the mod scene's gonna be that in depth, I'm sure another successor to dota, or hero units at the very least, will make an eventual return.

This is so fucking stupid. I launch the starcraft 2 beta and it downloads a bunch of updates. Fine.

"you are apparently behind a firewall" Stops working. Well, fuck you PC gaming. Everything else works fine, so this is a problem with blizzard. Pre-order canceled. Annoying shit.

[quote name='Draekon']You can cancel all Amazon pre-orders. However when bonuses are involved where the person cancels after they have been sent out, you are charged $5 upon cancellation (or charge the amount of the 'credit' gained). I don't think I've ever seen them charge more than that, but I haven't done much cancelling with Amazon when bonuses are involved.[/QUOTE]

funny i preordered last thursday i think it was and canceled on sunday out of fear of a 5$ charge and they sent the beta code to me today hopefully they wont charge me

[quote name='jer7583']This is so fucking stupid. I launch the starcraft 2 beta and it downloads a bunch of updates. Fine.

"you are apparently behind a firewall" Stops working. Well, fuck you PC gaming. Everything else works fine, so this is a problem with blizzard. Pre-order canceled. Annoying shit.[/QUOTE]

I actually covered this in the Starcraft 2 thread, but since you were able to download updates it would have been find all the way through even while getting that message. Worst case scenario you have to do some temporary port forwarding for Blizzards crappy updater. Oh and expect Blizzard to use this in Diablo 3 to update their game too, so unless you never want to play a Blizzard game again, you should learn what the message means and/or learn to port forward.

Anyways, since you downloaded previous updates it means either (A) your speeds are being throttled due to blocked ports that information must be sent through or (B) We at blizzard feel that in our peer to peer patcher/download service require you to port forward in order to get maximum speed. If you do not port forward, we're throttling your download speed.

Usually it's the second one of the two. That patch however that looks like it stopped, probably didn't at all. It's just a very large patch upwards of 1GB I believe. So unless you have a decently quick connection, you'll be waiting a while.

[quote name='stabito']funny i preordered last thursday i think it was and canceled on sunday out of fear of a 5$ charge and they sent the beta code to me today hopefully they wont charge me[/QUOTE]

Actually, I went through some of my Amazon my emails and those charges I was thinking of was from something else. Although I will note that some promotions (I'm sure it isn't the case with this promotion), such as credit back are one per household.

However, I wouldn't recommend screwwing Amazon over because they may end up implimenting some anti-cancel feature on promotions in the future.

I am not good whatsoever at networking stuff or computer stuff in general. I think I'd rather just not play the game than spend 5 hours messing round with settings. This is not 1995 anymore. This shit should just work.

[quote name='jer7583']I am not good whatsoever at networking stuff or computer stuff in general. I think I'd rather just not play the game than spend 5 hours messing round with settings. This is not 1995 anymore. This shit should just work.[/QUOTE]

If it worked the way you wanted to all the time, you'd have an extremely large security risk any time you're connected to the internet. Some degree of configuration is usually a good thing and isn't really difficult to do in this case. Hell, I could probably make a guide if you really needed. Although it'd be difficult to be precise with all the router manufacturers out there.

Anyways, like I mentioned in my previous reply, since you downloaded the earlier patches the large patch where you recieved that message should download just fine. How much time did you give it before you closed it out and did the bar move at all on that patch?

yeah my guess is he didn't wait out the download, b/c I made the mistake of closing out a couple times thinking it was something screwed up, then realized oh, it's probably a large patch - let it hang around for awhile and saw the progress bar slowly move. It was slow yeah, but it was working - even when it said that it appears I am behind a firewall.. it's the user's error at this point I'm betting.

I had same issue w/ firewall and I had correct ports forwarded. I ended up just putting my computer up on the DMZ for 20 minutes to do download and then took it off. No big deal but it was pretty annoying. If it becomes an issue on a regular basis i'll contact blizzard about.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Pre-ordered on Friday...nothing here yet. I'll wait the full 5 days and then shoot out an email.[/QUOTE]

Same deal here. Ordered on firday, no email yet.

Ordered Thursday, got my code early this morning (5am). So it came on the third business day after I ordered.

Installing now. Hurrah.

[quote name='neiname']Can the Beta be used on a MAC?[/QUOTE]

Not yet I think? I know the option to download it is there, but I can't select it. Might be because I have already downloaded the PC version though. However the code will work for either.

Mac beta isn't released yet. It should be coming in the next couple days, apparently. I'm guessing that you can download both, but I haven't seen definitively either way about that. I'm downloading the PC version in bootcamp, and hoping it will let me download the Mac version when it becomes available.

"This is so fucking stupid. I launch the starcraft 2 beta and it downloads a bunch of updates. Fine.

"you are apparently behind a firewall" Stops working. Well, fuck you PC gaming. Everything else works fine, so this is a problem with blizzard. Pre-order canceled. Annoying shit."

Seriously? I mean.. SERIOUSLY? Who is this guy? It's a BETA and the fix is relatively SIMPLE! Are you even a PC gamer? Do you even own a PC? Or are you just posting this on your mom's old cell phone? Christ, get out of here.

Edit: In case you need some help, here's how to get it: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=firewall+block+beta+starcraft+2

[quote name='jer7583']This is so fucking stupid. I launch the starcraft 2 beta and it downloads a bunch of updates. Fine.

"you are apparently behind a firewall" Stops working. Well, fuck you PC gaming. Everything else works fine, so this is a problem with blizzard. Pre-order canceled. Annoying shit.[/QUOTE]

The firewall is your problem, not Blizzards.

Well, blizzard uses a torrent-style distribution for their patches, which tends to use non well-known port numbers, so in a way, it is their fault for not just using direct download

[quote name='Escargoexpress']Well, blizzard uses a torrent-style distribution for their patches, which tends to use non well-known port numbers, so in a way, it is their fault for not just using direct download[/QUOTE]

there's a 'disable peer to peer' option in the updater/launcher, which then makes it a direct download using http.

Still waiting on my code. I ordered friday. I know it hasnt been 5 buisness days, but I want me some starcraft.

ugh, still waiting, ordered on friday. shot a email to amazon but still havent heard from them, and they usually respond back quick. =[

Same here with the Friday order, and no beta code yet. Luckily I haven't had time to play it anyway, but now I'm free all day Thursday. Hope it arrives in my inbox soon.

Looking at the Amazon 'customer discussions' for Starcraft II, it seems that no one who ordered on the 23rd has gotten a key yet, while people who ordered before and after have.

I received the beta and played at least 50 matches in a 3 day period. I uninstalled it as it was taking up WAY TOO MUCH TIME. I thought it was awesome.

I emailed them 2 days ago, they told me that I should expect my code no later than this Friday and that if I don't, to email them again.

[quote name='gumpy5']Looking at the Amazon 'customer discussions' for Starcraft II, it seems that no one who ordered on the 23rd has gotten a key yet, while people who ordered before and after have.[/QUOTE]

Dang, I ordered on the 23rd and I've also not gotten a code yet. Emailed support no response yet.

After reading the Amazon boards about this issue, it appears as though Bestbuy.com is giving out their beta keys within 2 minutes of ordering online. Time to cancel this order, as much as I like Amazon, and get it from them instead. This is ridiculous, I ordered 7 days ago and nothing. Not even responding to my e-mails in a timely manner, and now they tell me to wait till Monday. FU on this one Amazon, you really dropped the ball here.

bread's done
Back