Starting May 22nd, students who spend > $699 on a Windows 7 PC get a free Xbox 360

I heard about this. Sounds great.

I was actually planning on getting a new computer this summer and I don't have a 360 so that'll be fun.

damn, why didn't they have this last year when i bought a new laptop? Oh well, great deal for those that buy a new computer...

I was about to order a dell laptop for my wife. Neither one of us is a student though. :(
I don't think my 5 year old in pre-k would count either. :p

Pretty good competition for Apple's usual get an iPod with Mac purchase, because there you are spending at least 999.99.

I could see a lot of college guys eating this up.

Do they actually check if your a valid enrolled student? I wont partake in this deal because I don't need a laptop, but I am curious to know since I still have my old .edu from college :lol:. Either way awesome deal.

[quote name='ooga']I was about to order a dell laptop for my wife. Neither one of us is a student though. :(
I don't think my 5 year old in pre-k would count either. :p[/QUOTE]

From what infer, it's a desktop PC. More and more people are building desktops and this may be for them to just give and buy a prebuilt one in store. Laptops are more commonly purchased and I would think be excluded, but I could be wrong. Probably am.

This is so awesome. I'll know a lot of my friends will be going in for this deal. Can anyone recommend a good PC that's going to be for it? Are laptops going to be included?

You have to buy from participating stores.... that's going to make it tough. Could probably save the difference on building one or even just shopping around a bit.

Cool for people who buy stuff like this at MSRP+tax, but that shouldn't be any of us.

[quote name='seanr1221']Pretty good competition for Apple's usual get an iPod with Mac purchase, because there you are spending at least 999.99.

I could see a lot of college guys eating this up.[/QUOTE]

Indeed it is good. Whatever your flavor, you'll get a nice bonus if you were in the market for a new computer.

Not bad for someone looking for a new computer. It is the 4GB Xbox 360, though. I'll never buy another HP computer in my life. I've had two which were both complete garbage. The $799 Lenovo IdeaCentre looks perfect for this deal.

great deal, though ironically it's almost as if MS wants new students to fail by giving them something to distract themselves with.

[quote name='100xp']great deal, though ironically it's almost as if MS wants new students to fail by giving them something to distract themselves with.[/QUOTE]

They give out free xbox systems to computer science and engineering students all the time to promote XNA/xbla development. Lots of the school projects for classes seem to get written using them. Believe it or not they are educationally valuable :p people work harder on game projects they're interested in.

[quote name='Ionotropic']Not bad for someone looking for a new computer. It is the 4GB Xbox 360, though. I'll never buy another HP computer in my life. I've had two which were both complete garbage. The $799 Lenovo IdeaCentre looks perfect for this deal.[/QUOTE]

Wow, that's great I'll keep that in mind. Anything cheaper or anything else to look out for?

[quote name='fujimitsu']They give out free xbox systems to computer science and engineering students all the time to promote XNA/xbla development. Lots of the school projects for classes seem to get written using them. Believe it or not they are educationally valuable :p people work harder on game projects they're interested in.[/QUOTE]

to interested parties yes, to the general study body...not so much. I've seen a lot of friends and students totally bomb their finals because of Star Craft and Diablo 2. I suppose it's one way to weed out the weak.

[quote name='fujimitsu']They give out free xbox systems to computer science and engineering students all the time to promote XNA/xbla development. Lots of the school projects for classes seem to get written using them. Believe it or not they are educationally valuable :p people work harder on game projects they're interested in.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, XNA is actually a valuable thing to learn. Your learning C# which is one of the top languages of today with programming. It's simplicity combined with the relevance makes XNA a compelling package. Plus having the XBL to sell it on helps a bit as well ;).

Nothing can help u study more and keep up your grades than a free xbox 360...amazing deal..wish I had a student id..I could use a new naptop and could keep the new xbox and sell my old one...

[quote name='jj5206']damn, why didn't they have this last year when i bought a new laptop? Oh well, great deal for those that buy a new computer...[/QUOTE]

lol exactly my thoughts....although my Laptop was $450.

[quote name='100xp']to interested parties yes, to the general study body...not so much. I've seen a lot of friends and students totally bomb their finals because of Star Craft and Diablo 2. I suppose it's one way to weed out the weak.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't aware of this lol I'm a computer science major myself, but haven't heard of anything like this.

[quote name='FusionHype']Any way to pick up a Sony Vaio laptop with the deal or would it have to be in-store?[/QUOTE]

dont buy a vaio :cold:

If its free shouldnt that mean it goes in the free section?

If you bought the laptop and got a 360 for 10 bucks, that would be a deal.

[quote name='gargus']If its free shouldnt that mean it goes in the free section?

If you bought the laptop and got a 360 for 10 bucks, that would be a deal.[/QUOTE]

The computer's not free though. :)

[quote name='gargus']If its free shouldnt that mean it goes in the free section?

If you bought the laptop and got a 360 for 10 bucks, that would be a deal.[/QUOTE]

So if there's a buy one get one free sale, that should go in the freebies forum instead of the deals forum? I guess you could try to argue that a PC is not related to games and thus doesn't belong in the video game deals forum, but I could argue just as convincingly that it is a gaming platform.

[quote name='aznguyen316']From what infer, it's a desktop PC. More and more people are building desktops and this may be for them to just give and buy a prebuilt one in store. Laptops are more commonly purchased and I would think be excluded, but I could be wrong. Probably am.[/QUOTE]

From what I infer, it includes laptops. I infer that from the fact that the link the OP of the linked article posts at the bottom of the page sends you to Microsoft's "Find the LAPTOP that's right for you" program. (Edit: Not the OP's link (I think --- I can't load it for some reason) this link from IGN:Windows.com/FreeXbox.
)

Anyway, I'm actually interested in this deal. But I have a serious question in regards to a laptop I am looking very seriously at. Please go here and see my question (it's very long and more computer generally related than related to this deal so I don't want to repost it here):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295123

Hope you guys can help me. And I hope the guy I quoted is wrong about it not including laptops or else I won't be buying.

I'm an MS Product Trainer and can confirm that it includes laptops. There's usually a few at Best Buy that are pretty decent deals if the sales continue and a pretty excellent gaming laptop for a 1k if you were looking to future proof as much as possible.

I'm interested in this since my daughter is going off to college this fall and needs a laptop but where can I find details as to what qualifies and what doesn't. I.e. can I buy something from the Dell outlet? Where's the full list of participating retailers? How long does it last? My daughter doesn't have an ID yet and probably won't until her first week of school so how can she prove she is a new student under the terms of the program?

Next they'll give 360s to schools for use in the classroom. ;) Great deal if you're a student and want a Windows laptop anyway (well, if the laptop is a good deal, which I suppose is doubtful).

[quote name='jb0Ogi3']OMG it's the 4gb one...FAIL. I can download 1 game and max out my hard drive!!![/QUOTE]

quit complaining about a free 360.... people complain too much... u dont have to shit outside, you have running clean water to your dwelling, food is in abundance, the list goes on

[quote name='Hybrid5006']offer only on select computers = teh sux[/QUOTE]

You want to buy a shitty $300 computer and get a free xbox? Damn... some people.

You remind me of the dude at McDonalds who bought a $1 McDouble and was bitchin about the burger being too small and not having any vegetables...

Well, I had to buy my daughter a laptop for college anyway so I took advantage of this deal. I ended up going with Bestbuy since they didn't restrict the offer to only certain models like Dell and HP seem to be doing. This is the one I got for her:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Pa...inum/1686237.p?id=1218279827833&skuId=1686237

It was no hassle, I just added the laptop and the xbox to my cart and it took $200 off the price of the laptop on the receipt. I ordered it in my name and using my credit card but using my daughter's .edu email address. Both the laptop and xbox arrived today.

Not a smoking deal since I had to pay $60 in tax but not bad if you are in the market for a laptop anyway.

I bought a $600 Alienware M11x. So, I did not get to take advantage of this deal. Oh well, I already have an xbox. Woulda been nice to turn around and sell though.

bread's done
Back