Startropics 1 & 2 ??????

snotknocker

CAGiversary!
I'm heavily into Startropics at the moment. I had this game new when it came out and somehow did'nt really get into it, I don't recall why, regardless i traded it away many moons ago. i recently came across a cheapass copy and after seeing it mentioned a few times here as being a really great game i decided to give it another go. Well, needless to say, this is one fine little old school game. Since I'm so immersed in this thing I'm sure it will be history shortly. I'm thinking of going out and purchasing 2.

So now to reach out with a question to my all so knowledgable fellow CAG's

The gameplay obviously is the reason 1 is so rewarding for me. So... How does 2 compare to one? I value your opinions, Thanks in advance

[quote name='snotknocker']I'm heavily into Startropics at the moment. I had this game new when it came out and somehow did'nt really get into it, I don't recall why, regardless i traded it away many moons ago. i recently came across a cheapass copy and after seeing it mentioned a few times here as being a really great game i decided to give it another go. Well, needless to say, this is one fine little old school game. Since I'm so immersed in this thing I'm sure it will be history shortly. I'm thinking of going out and purchasing 2.

So now to reach out with a question to my all so knowledgable fellow CAG's

The gameplay obviously is the reason 1 is so rewarding for me. So... How does 2 compare to one? I value your opinions, Thanks in advance[/QUOTE]

Remember when you go looking for it that it's easier to look for the cart when you remember it's also called "Zoda's Revenge".
The top label of the game only says "Zoda's Revenge"... only on the front in smaller text does it say "Startropics 2"

Gameplay wise, ST2 is nearly identical, but story wise it doesn't really capture the originality and simple flair of the first. Instead of a wild island romp, you're time travelling through various periods of time. It's not necessarily a bad game, I just personally would have liked the game to be more like the first rather than going with the time travel theme...

[quote name='Starky27']Gameplay wise, ST2 is nearly identical, but story wise it doesn't really capture the originality and simple flair of the first. Instead of a wild island romp, you're time travelling through various periods of time. It's not necessarily a bad game, I just personally would have liked the game to be more like the first rather than going with the time travel theme...[/QUOTE]

Agree pretty much. I've beaten both games, and both are great and worth playing. The diagonal movement in Zoda's Revenge is an improvement, but the game is a little shorter on the bright colors and imagination that helped make the first one so great. I'd say if you like the original definitely play through ZR in any case.

The second one is decent, but it lacks a good story, and you have less interaction in the overworld. There are only a few puzzles outside of the main battle stages, but it is still a good game to play for a while.

Another question I've been wondering for a while, Why were there no trophies from this game on Smash Brothers?

[quote name='My Name Is BoB']The second one is decent, but it lacks a good story, and you have less interaction in the overworld. There are only a few puzzles outside of the main battle stages, but it is still a good game to play for a while.

Another question I've been wondering for a while, Why were there no trophies from this game on Smash Brothers?[/QUOTE]

Good question. It may have to do with this fact: StarTropics was only released in North America, and not in Japan or Europe. One of the few times back in that era that Japan got screwed instead of us.

Man, I remember renting the first one and not having that damn code!! we had no internet, so I had to call up the nintendo help line in 2 feet of snow, uphill both ways.

[quote name='Apossum']Man, I remember renting the first one and not having that damn code!! we had no internet, so I had to call up the nintendo help line in 2 feet of snow, uphill both ways.[/QUOTE]

Fortunately the copy of this game I got had the letter, when it asked for the code I was like shit I'm not dipping my letter in water and was forced to look it up on gamefaqs. But I can relate to calling the help line back in the day. I must of called a dozen times for Shadowgate.

My letter is all stiff from when I dipped it in water back in the day. I need to play through Startropics again.

*****************SPOILER***********************

Actually, I don't remember if I ever beat the spaceship level the first time through...

bread's done
Back