Steam Box confirmed with 2013 launch

He also expects companies to start selling PC packages for living rooms next year—setups that could consist of computers designed to be hooked up to your TV and run Steam right out of the gate. And yes, Newell said, they'd compete with next-gen consoles from companies like Microsoft and Sony.

That doesn't really sound like a confirmation of a Steam box to me. At least, not an official one. It'll be nice if it does happen though, if only because it'll force the competition (XBL store and PSN store) to lower the damn prices on their digital content.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']That doesn't really sound like a confirmation of a Steam box to me. At least, not an official one. It'll be nice if it does happen though, if only because it'll force the competition (XBL store and PSN store) to lower the damn prices on their digital content.[/QUOTE]

He also expects companies to start selling PC packages for living rooms next year—setups that could consist of computers designed to be hooked up to your TV and run Steam right out of the gate. And yes, Newell said, they'd compete with next-gen consoles from companies like Microsoft and Sony.

"Well certainly our hardware will be a very controlled environment," he said. "If you want more flexibility, you can always buy a more general purpose PC. For people who want a more turnkey solution, that's what some people are really gonna want for their living room.

To me, this quote says that they're making a gaming console based on Linux. You turn it on, it goes into Steam and probably won't do a whole lot else. So you're essentially buying a digital content only console that will share it's steam library with your PC. This has the potential to cause a lot of market disruption. It will probably come boxed with a controller and you can attach USB keyboard/mouse to it if you want.

He's admitted that Valve has it's own hardware and to assume that they aren't going to put out a console next year when other PC consoles + the Xbox 720 and possibly the PS4 come out would seem foolish on their part. It looks like a confirmation to me, the only thing that's a stretch is assuming Valve is putting it out next year but I think they will.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='JasonTerminator']lolololololololololololololololololololololololol[/QUOTE]

or sony.. they have having massive money problems.

I can't imagine this being too successful... I'm guessing they want in on the living room market but PC games in general a bit more fickle than console games. Hell, even a lot of games on Steam require you to manually fix bugs and apply patches.

Then again, I'm guessing Valve will use their own operating platform, instead of making it a Windows based box. That could be interesting. And I also wonder how they'll handle the fact that PC games are always pushing the technical envelope and thus, can make use of the latest hardware. Will they make the hardware upgradable, I wonder..?

The key reading between the lines is to get Big Picture Mode to work w/Linux and have it be easy for a general consumer to use yet customizable for hardcore users then production goes into making their own "console." That way, MS is cut completely out of the loop since it will be a Linux box.

n all honesty, if this device gets the same titles as any of the "Major" consoles, I may well just get it instead. I mean shit, I tried Sony when Nintendo was the boss, and I went with Xbox when Sony was king shit. Perhaps it is time for another change.

[quote name='Spyder187']n all honesty, if this device gets the same titles as any of the "Major" consoles, I may well just get it instead. I mean shit, I tried Sony when Nintendo was the boss, and I went with Xbox when Sony was king shit. Perhaps it is time for another change.[/QUOTE]

If you're a huge graphics whore, it won't be able to keep up. The good thing is obviously MASSIVE steam sales will present you with tons of cheap games and you'll be able to play them on your PC as well as on your steam box. I'm probably going Xbox 720 after some price drops. I'll probably avoid the PS4. Nintendo I'm not sure about, their games don't interest me right now and my Wii is fine for the kids. The steambox MAYBE if it's not too pricy.

[quote name='Spyder187']n all honesty, if this device gets the same titles as any of the "Major" consoles, I may well just get it instead. I mean shit, I tried Sony when Nintendo was the boss, and I went with Xbox when Sony was king shit. Perhaps it is time for another change.[/QUOTE]
According to Kotaku you can run windows on it so unless you want JRPG's, or Sony/MS/Nintendo Exclusives, you pretty much can.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']According to Kotaku you can run windows on it so unless you want JRPG's, or Sony/MS/Nintendo Exclusives, you pretty much can.[/QUOTE]
Yeah it's being reported that a lot of games won't run on it out of the gate. Obviously if you dual boot you can solve that. Down the road I have to believe that more games will be available on it.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']Good job linking an article from a month after my post.[/QUOTE]

Wow bitter much? You're coming off as one of those people that can't admit to being wrong. Good job being completely wrong and pretending you weren't. I'm sure you'll make all kinds of predictions about the next console gen and when people disagree with you you'll laugh at them, flame them, and generally make a giant dick of yourself. Then when you Arles completely wrong (again) you'll say, "good job posting something a year later". Doesn't make you any less wrong. Good job not admitting your mistakes and that you were a dumbass with your laugh posts. It's a bit ironic now as the laughs on you.

[quote name='Blaster man']Wow bitter much? You're coming off as one of those people that can't admit to being wrong. Good job being completely wrong and pretending you weren't. I'm sure you'll make all kinds of predictions about the next console gen and when people disagree with you you'll laugh at them, flame them, and generally make a giant dick of yourself. Then when you Arles completely wrong (again) you'll say, "good job posting something a year later". Doesn't make you any less wrong. Good job not admitting your mistakes and that you were a dumbass with your laugh posts. It's a bit ironic now as the laughs on you.[/QUOTE]

I didn't make a mistake, the Steam box wasn't confirmed when I posted.

Seems like a pretty good idea. Like everything else in life, its success will be depended on its sales price. A 2014 release would allow them to better compete against PS4 and Xbox 720. I like steam and I really enjoy their many online sales. If nothing else it might force M$ and Sony to price their digital content more competitively.

So from what I've seen so far is that it seems that the "Steam Box" is just a new marketing term for them to describe Multimedia Center PCs. So I guess if you have a PC with a HDMI out, then you essentially already have a Steam Box...

[quote name='KillerRamen']So from what I've seen so far is that it seems that the "Steam Box" is just a new marketing term for them to describe Multimedia Center PCs. So I guess if you have a PC with a HDMI out, then you essentially already have a Steam Box...[/QUOTE]

There's going to be multiple PC's with Steam's backing or Steam support, but Steam themselves want to put out their own machine. In other words, Valve will have it's own Steam Box. http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/8/3852692/valve-linux-steam-box-local-gaming-server

bread's done
Back