[Steam] Civilization IV Complete for $10; Civ III for $1.25

[quote name='Logain8955']Civ 3 doesn't have as in-depth a religion system, no subterfuge and as far as I remember, not as in-depth a leveling system for your units.

It also is balanced for a far far longer game, Civ4 changed things towards speed drastically.[/QUOTE]
Got it. Thanks for that! I can see myself enjoying both, and having the option was quite worth my $1.25.

I swear to God i'm going to download the game for free, it's pissing me off that steam doesn't have on of my favorite games of all time in my region.

[quote name='kidrocklive']I was wondering this too. I was thinking of just getting Civ IV and not the entire collection.[/QUOTE]

The expansions add so much new gameplay I recommend picking them up. I could not play vanilla Civ IV after installing the "beyond the sword" expansion because I felt the game felt incomplete. Shell out the extra $5 I guarantee you won't regret it. Colonization is a completely different game altogether and it's definitely worth more than the $5 by itself.

At $1.25 for a game as epic and time-consuming as Civ 3, that might be one of the best values I've ever seen. If I didn't already have every Civ game installed on every computer I own, I'd be all over this.

[quote name='Josehaha60']I swear to God i'm going to download the game for free, it's pissing me off that steam doesn't have on of my favorite games of all time in my region.[/QUOTE]
You could get someone to gift it to you and pay them through PayPal. That's what most people do outside the US.

AionTelos - it's a timesuck. If you have a backlog then I would stray away. Actually I am staying away for now since I have a backlog of games including other strategy games I need to beat. This would only keep me from beating those games..

[quote name='AionTelos']Would anyone suggest NOT getting it? I've heard nothing but good about it. Almost to good to be true >.>[/QUOTE]

You shouldn't get it if you value your time and want to have a life in the coming weeks.

I know the Direct2Drive release does still contain SecuROM -- not sure on the Steam version (I know the Steam version of Bioshock did).

So...since Civ IV is on the Mac as well, I wonder if I could download it as a Mac user on the Mac steam come next week :O.

Anyway. I see there's a demo, so I'm gonna try it out first......but I enjoyed classic SimCity and Caeser III back int he day XD

Kinda holding out hope for all the Valve games to go on sale next week in celebration of the Mac release. That would be fitting right? Get all the Mac gamers dollars right out of the gate, hook them on your super awesome sales!

Okies, picked it up. Already had it (aside from Colonization), but can now just toss the physical stuff at my sibling (instead of wondering if I have all the discs/where they are/etc) and... yeah. It's win-win (especially since I'm getting $10 from them for this ^.^).

Also, went ahead and picked up Civ 3. Why not? The price of a drink, and hey, as someone stated, it'll be perfect if I get stuck on a less adequate computer. =)

Okay, am I weird for buying any game I see on Steam that is $3 or less no matter what (I count this as the same since it comes out to $2.50 each) whether I plan on playing it or not because I like making my Steam library bigger? I really don't know whats wrong with me...I hate you Steam...

I'm sorry, I mean I love you :)

If I have CivIV vanilla and Beyond the Sword, is it worth the $10 for Warlords and Colonization?

I'm on the verge of buying it because Colonization is $20 alone at Target currently, but I need some peer pressure to convince me. ;)

Bought Civ III and installing. Couldn't resist it for $1.25. Will probably a very long time before I ever play it.

[quote name='bb4lake']Okay, am I weird for buying any game I see on Steam that is $3 or less no matter what (I count this as the same since it comes out to $2.50 each) whether I plan on playing it or not because I like making my Steam library bigger? I really don't know whats wrong with me...I hate you Steam...

I'm sorry, I mean I love you :)[/QUOTE]

Well, I must be weird too then, because I was thinking the same thing. I already own most of civilization 4 and all of 3, but I can't help thinking it would be awesome to have another couple games on my Steam list.

Besides, I've begun to hate having PC disks. Oddly enough, I love having the disc on xbox360.

[quote name='etcrane']If I have CivIV vanilla and Beyond the Sword, is it worth the $10 for Warlords and Colonization?

I'm on the verge of buying it because Colonization is $20 alone at Target currently, but I need some peer pressure to convince me. ;)[/QUOTE]

I thought I read on the steam store page saying you need Civ IV vanilla on steam to get the expansions..

[quote name='aznguyen316']I thought I read on the steam store page saying you need Civ IV vanilla on steam to get the expansions..[/QUOTE]

Not for Colonization, it's a stand alone built off the same engine.

[quote name='aznguyen316']I thought I read on the steam store page saying you need Civ IV vanilla on steam to get the expansions..[/QUOTE]

Oh, I should clarify, I have both on Steam ... hence I'm on the fence because I already have half the bundle .. but at $10 it's still pretty tempting. Just wanted to get a feel from folks as to whether vanilla & BtS are good enough or if Warlords & Colonization really make it worth an extra $10.

Btw, am I understanding it right when I'm reading that Colonization is more of a standalone game using the Civ IV engine, but that it doesn't really add anything to Civ IV the way the other expansions do? Also I vaguely recall back when I picked up Beyond the Sword a long time ago, that BtS kind of made the need to get Warlords a non-issue since most of Warlords new features carried over in BtS?

Hmmm, so maybe it wouldn't be $10 well spent in my case ... any thoughts?

If I've followed some people's comments correctly, BTS has basically everything warlords has and colonization is a different game, a remake of sorts using Civ IV engine.. so.. if I was in your shoes, I wouldn't.

[quote name='aznguyen316']If I've followed some people's comments correctly, BTS has basically everything warlords has and colonization is a different game, a remake of sorts using Civ IV engine.. so.. if I was in your shoes, I wouldn't.[/QUOTE]

Good call, thanks, it's not really like I need any new games right now anyway ... but I think the Steam Effect was once again getting to me.

Broke down and bought Civ III ... used to have it on my old mac and now I'll have a PC copy when I want to reminisce and it somewhat satisfies the Steam Effect .. for now

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='W0lfRHart']anyone know how long the sale will last for?[/QUOTE]

Until Monday, May 10 Noon~EST.

Sometimes a little earlier, sometimes a little later. You have plenty of time.

I refuse to buy Civ III again even at that price. That game is balanced to take a ridiculously long time. Civ IV is the best in the series so far. Don't spend money on anything less.

I'm not much of an multi-player gamer (because I suck at most games and don't enjoy getting my ass handed to me), does Civ 4 have a single player mode? I've heard a lot of people talking about playing it online, but i can't recall hearing anybody talk about a offline mode.

[quote name='The End']I'm not much of an multi-player gamer (because I suck at most games and don't enjoy getting my ass handed to me), does Civ 4 have a single player mode? I've heard a lot of people talking about playing it online, but i can't recall hearing anybody talk about a offline mode.[/QUOTE]
Yes. I've never played multiplayer. The single player mode is... robust.

[quote name='etcrane']
Btw, am I understanding it right when I'm reading that Colonization is more of a standalone game using the Civ IV engine, but that it doesn't really add anything to Civ IV the way the other expansions do? Also I vaguely recall back when I picked up Beyond the Sword a long time ago, that BtS kind of made the need to get Warlords a non-issue since most of Warlords new features carried over in BtS?

Hmmm, so maybe it wouldn't be $10 well spent in my case ... any thoughts?[/QUOTE]
You are correct that Warlords is basically worthless since all the leaders/features are included in BtS. The ONLY reason you would even want to install Warlords is so that you can play the scenarios included with that one.

Colonization is a standalone game using the Civ IV engine but it is more like a mod for Civ than anything else. IMHO, no where near worth the $30 price tag they put on it. If I could gift the other games in the $10 pack I would buy it to get Colonization but at $7.50 I'll just wait for Civ 5 this September and you should probably take your $10 and put it towards that as well :)

I have played all of the civ games and i believe IV to be the stronger one. However, III was a lot of fun as well. There are just a lot of features they added in IV that i like better. If you liked Colonization for the 90s (the original) then you will like the new one. It is basically the same game only updated and built on the Civ IV engine. Colonization is a standalone game, not an expansion to CIV IV.

[quote name='eastx']Is there an in-depth article anywhere that describes what each Civ 4 expansion brings to the table?[/QUOTE]civfanatics.com is the only website you need to know for in-depth civilization coverage. Dip your toe into those forums sometime if you want to see what true city micromanaging is - those guys take it to a whole different level.

Here are links to the expansions:
Warlords
Beyond the Sword
Colonization - Since this is not really an expansion, there is much more coverage here.

Within each of those are links to dig further for any information you may want but these alone are well organized and very thorough.

My reaction to the sale went something like this...

"Cool, Civ3 for $1.25? I can't resist!"

"Wait, I bought it in Dec '08 for $3.74? Ok, maybe Civ4 for $5 then..."

"$5 from Direct2Drive in Sept '09? I don't remember that..."

I just bought this game and found it amazing.
Not a game to easily approach at first, but after the tutorial and two games of my own, I found it how the game plays.

Civilization is the type of game that you can avoid for 2 years ... but then you boot it up and it sucks you in for like 6 hours straight ... and then you remember why you never play it ... because it's so damn addicting... well that, and in some cases it feels like the AI gangs up and rapes you if you start doing well in the game (that was always an issue in III as I recall, can't remember if it was more balanced in IV)

For anyone on the fence about III, it's definitely worth the $1.25 ... very very addictive ... ;)

[quote name='maiku']My reaction to the sale went something like this...

"Cool, Civ3 for $1.25? I can't resist!"

"Wait, I bought it in Dec '08 for $3.74? Ok, maybe Civ4 for $5 then..."

"$5 from Direct2Drive in Sept '09? I don't remember that..."[/QUOTE]

That is fantastic!
Haven't been on Steam long enough, though I look forward
to the same reaction somewhere down the road.
It will happen with all of these titles priced like sweet candy.

OK, dumb question but how does Civ 4 run on Windows 7? Love jumping on great deals but hate finding they don't agree with 7. :bomb:

[quote name='Full Metal XL']OK, dumb question but how does Civ 4 run on Windows 7? Love jumping on great deals but hate finding they don't agree with 7. :bomb:[/QUOTE]

I bought Civ 4 from D2D last week and have played through 4 games so far on Windows 7 without any problems at all!

[quote name='Full Metal XL']OK, dumb question but how does Civ 4 run on Windows 7? Love jumping on great deals but hate finding they don't agree with 7. :bomb:[/QUOTE]

That is kind of a dumb question. Civ 4 is not an ancient game. It's like 3 years old.

running on win7 here also. ive never actually found ANY windows program that didn't run in 7... what have you had problems with, Full Metal?

Cool. I am not really a fan of strategy games in general, but $1.25 is cheap enough that I can try it out and know once and for all whether I can stand it or not.

bread's done
Back