Steam Deal Fallout 3 *GOTY* 50% off

[quote name='aznguyen316']For fallout 3, the Live key will be used but that's just for achievements. You can still install and trade the game without the Live key though. Hence why Goozex allows it to be traded. I've traded it to no problems. You just can't use Live service, but this doesn't mean you can't play the game.

Very tempted to get this. $25 is a good price, but to ME I feel it's a bit steep since it's not in the front lines for my gametime. As for Oblivion GOTY, I loved the game, never did Shivering Isles and would love to just have the game in my Steam account for $8.50... will look this over.[/QUOTE]

I may have been mistaken about this. My apologies. It had been my understanding that the key was linked to a single account only.

I wonder if I can become the first gamer to ever own GOTY versions of Morrowind, Oblivion, and Fallout 3 without having started any of them.

I've had F3 on Xbox since release and barely played it - first person on consoles just never felt right to me.

[quote name='warreni']I may have been mistaken about this. My apologies. It had been my understanding that the key was linked to a single account only.[/QUOTE]

well the key may or may not be tied (I don't think it's like the new SSA that GFWL uses now) but the key will be dead or whatever. But you can still trade/sell the game legitimately, just no live key to use for GFWLive. You just need to pop in the disc and install.

Oblivion is AMAZING.
Morrowind is AMAZING.
Fallout 3 is...really good. And come on, GOTY with all add-ons? The add-ons separately would cost $50. Really good deal on every single one of them. Recommend them all. BETHESDA!

For those on the fence about Fallout 3 GOTY - remember it includes the DLC: Operation Anchorage, The Pitt, Broken Steel, Point Lookout and Mothership Zeta.

[quote name='jughead']I'm really close to getting Oblivion GOTY PC on Goozex for 100pts. OT but.... Question... Is there any registration (cd key) for Oblivion GOTY disc release on PC? K Thx.[/QUOTE]

Not sure about the retail TES:Oblivion GOTY. I have the non-GOTY version and there's absolutely no CD key ... just a simple disc check.

Ah, too bad I bought some of the Fallout 3 DLC from Newegg last week. I wouldn't have minded buying it from Steam just to have all in one place.

Still, that deal on Oblivion is fantastic. I've been waiting for a deal on it since it was added to Steam (and all their previous deals on it have been fairly lackluster).

[quote name='warreni']You can't use the key more than once. I've never heard of being able to reuse a key for any game on a monthly basis; that wouldn't really make any sense. More likely, you're thinking of some proposed DRM where you'd need to do an online verification once every x number of times the game was run (I believe that was proposed for Mass Effect 2 and changed later).[/QUOTE]

I don't believe this is true. You should be able to sell your retail copy just fine (fallout 3 is traded on goozex all the time...). GFWL does have the option (I believe) where the key only works once, but it is not implemented on games like Fallout 3 or Gears of war. Not sure about other GFWL games.

[quote name='warreni']RAM and processor are fine. I don't know about the chipset though. Oblivion should run fine on that system whatever OS you're running, although you may need to tweak the settings.

Beware of FO3 is all I can say. I have a desktop with a Phenom quad-core processor, 6Gb and a 9800GT and that game fried my video card and it was the most unstable game I've ever run (and I've been gaming for about 30 years). Some people have no problems with it, some people have system-breaking issues (like me), and some people have minor issues that are remedied by tweaking a few lines in an ini file. I paid $40 for the vanilla game and the Broken Steel/Point Lookout pack and it was like flushing money down the toilet.

Since I have a PS3 now, I might look into buying a cheap used copy of Fallout for that system--I haven't seen too many people complain about it destroying their hardware, and if it works, I'd probably enjoy playing it. However, any game that requires me to jump through as many hoops as I had to with the PC version, including shelling out a $100 for a new video card, isn't worth it.[/QUOTE]

To clarify a little bit, I'm running Vista 64 bit.

I have Oblivion and Fallout 3 vanilla on my PS3, but I want the GOTY PC versions for the extra content and mod capability.

I'm definitely getting Oblivion and perhaps Morrowind, just for the sake of owning it, but I'm still on the fence about Fallout 3. I was hoping that it would be atleast 50% off since the winter sale, and now it is.

As for the System Requirements lab, I don't really trust that site anymore. It said I could run CoD4, and I get about 15-20 fps. Same deal with Company of Heroes.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']QUESTION. I already own a retail copy of Fallout 3 vanilla. If it get the GotY on Steam, would I be able to sell the retail copy? I know it's a GFWL title and I'm not quite sure how the CD-keys work with that system. I think I remembering seeing somewhere that you can use the key once a month or something? Does anybody know for sure?[/QUOTE]
Depends upon the game on how it works. Up to a certain point, the keys were pretty much able to be used on any GFWL game. That is why so many people picked up cheap copies of The Club and then used those keys on their "illegitimate" games. Definitely shady and not endorsed by me or CAG. Fallout 3 is one of those titles where the key can be used on just about any GFWL title and vice versa. Those keys also had a 10 (or 15 can't remember) lifetime activation limit on the GFWL service. There might have been a way to call and get one revoked but I doubt it. Really, 10 times over the lifetime of the current Live service isn't that bad. I'll probably get shit for that comment though.
[quote name='DukeEdwardI']I suppose I could always sell it and just tell the buyer that they'll just have to make an offline GFWL profile.[/QUOTE]
Probably the best way of going about it.

On topic of the deal, I will be picking up the Fallout 3 GOTY. I technically already have 2 of the DLC through the GFWL service but it would cost me just about as much through Microsoft Space Bucks to get the rest. This way I have it through Steam, my preferred way of getting PC games.

I have been waiting and waiting and waiting for the FO3 GOTY Edition to go on sale for around $25 and it never seemed like it was going to come down, so just last week I bought the Broken Steel/Point Lookout and Operation Anchorage/The Pitt packs from NewEgg for $16 together and what happens? THIS!!!! I haven't opened them yet, so I guess I can sell them on Craig's List and get this deal. Grrrrr.

Already have all the Oblivion stuff, but paid hella more than $8.50 for it. (More like $70-$80.)

Well that sucks. I bought FO3: GOTY and Obilvion: GOTY for the PS3 not too long ago. /facepalm Great deals though

[quote name='Default09']I wanna buy Fallout 3 GOTY and Oblivion GOTY, but I don't know how well they'll run. Can someone please help me out?

Specs:

4 Gig DDR2 RAM
256 MB nVidia GeForce 9200M GS
2.0 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Anything else? And yes, it's a laptop.[/QUOTE]

canirunit.com

[quote name='choral_music']Anyone have any problems running Fallout 3 in Win7 64?[/QUOTE]

I played Fallout 3 on Win 7 64bit and only maybe had 1 random crash.

[quote name='eastx']Shouldn't Fallout 3 be a little cheaper at this point? Nice price on Oblivion though.[/QUOTE]

Fallout 3 also includes all the expansions as well.

Does anyone know if Fallout 3 GOTY version has any DRM other than steamworks? I've heard that you need GFWL to play the DLCs. I'm hoping the evil SecuROM doesn't rear its ugly head. I'm passing on Batman because of it.

Man with prices this good, I might even pick up Oblivion even though it's kinda old at this point.

Jumping on Morrowind and Oblivion. I own them, but none of the Expansions, and I'll pay for the convenience.

Fallout 3...I really want to buy it, but F3 has a lot of trouble running on my PC; something about it, it doesn't like. Which is sad, because this is a decent price.

[quote name='eastx']Shouldn't Fallout 3 be a little cheaper at this point? Nice price on Oblivion though.[/QUOTE]

Not really. These GOTY editions usually don't dip under $20 until a good year or so after release (FO3 GOTY came out in October).

Moreover, the DLC itself still costs $50 total to buy separately. $25 for all that plus the vanilla game is a good deal IMO.

[quote name='DirkBelig']I have been waiting and waiting and waiting for the FO3 GOTY Edition to go on sale for around $25 and it never seemed like it was going to come down, so just last week I bought the Broken Steel/Point Lookout and Operation Anchorage/The Pitt packs from NewEgg for $16 together and what happens? THIS!!!! I haven't opened them yet, so I guess I can sell them on Craig's List and get this deal. Grrrrr.

Already have all the Oblivion stuff, but paid hella more than $8.50 for it. (More like $70-$80.)[/QUOTE]

Do you already own the vanilla game? If so, Newegg was still the better deal. Here you're basically paying $9 more for the Mothership Zeta DLC, which really isn't anything special.

Awesome! Bought Fallout 3 just for the expansions as well. Had the vanilla but never finished it. I have been meaning to go back. Will load this up after my new video card arrives so I can enjoy it in 1920x1200 instead of the lower resolution I had to play it at before.

Last edited by a moderator:
can you download the dlc for oblivion separately and add it to a retail install? I heard there were modding problems with the steam version and you cant get the dlc from the oblivion site anymore.

I've not had any problems modding my Steam version. The only thing that caught a lot of people was one of the mods that changed the .exe. What most people did there was find a no-cd.exe and place it in the steam folder. Problem solved.

[quote name='jp0213']I've not had any problems modding my Steam version. The only thing that caught a lot of people was one of the mods that changed the .exe. What most people did there was find a no-cd.exe and place it in the steam folder. Problem solved.[/QUOTE]

cool i just checked the forums and they updated the game to work the script extender
when i went to purchase last time i bought retail because it wouldnt work

Hey OP, would you change the subject of this topic to reflect that Oblivion is on sale, too? This is the cheapest Oblivion has ever been on Steam, which is a big deal. Fallout for $25 is a good deal (I suppose) but finally being able to get even vanilla Oblivion for under $10 is great... Oblivion Deluxe GOTY for $8.50 is freakin' awesome.

I almost missed this post b/c I'm not in the market for Fallout 3, but I am for Oblivion. Maybe change it to "Steam: All Bethesda GOTYs on sale" or "Steam: Fallout 3 GOTY and Oblivion GOTY on sale". Thanks for the post!

I picked up fo3 vanilla for 19.99 about 5 months ago, you can find the expansions in my area for about 9.99 for a package of 2, so this seems like a very good deal to me. Just for your FYI, other than brokensteel which raises your character level, the other expansions are very, very short and may dissapoint compared to the original game.

[quote name='V878']Not really. These GOTY editions usually don't dip under $20 until a good year or so after release (FO3 GOTY came out in October).

Moreover, the DLC itself still costs $50 total to buy separately. $25 for all that plus the vanilla game is a good deal IMO.
[/QUOTE]

Oh, I'm not complaining that it isn't a good deal. I just would have expected $20 instead of $25 for the sale. But you're right, the DLC still holds its value, so they don't need to give it away too cheap just yet.

IMO Operation Anchorage and Mothership Zeta were the only somewhat disappointing DLC packs, Broken Steel is literally the true ending to the game and bumps the challenge in end game play, Point Lookout is pure awesome, and the Pitt is the closest to Madmax Beyond Thunderdome that you'll get. Even Anchorage and Zeta give you some nice gear and things you wouldn't normally see. I highly recommend this ... if you haven't played the DLC, you really haven't played Fallout 3. Runs just fine on my Win 7 64, so I wouldn't worry about the folks who claim it's a buggy mess ... it's pretty stable IMO.

[quote name='Todd33']I think FO3 only went as low as $37 during the X-mas sales, everyone was waiting for something lower and it never came. I think I will bite, I really want the GOTY version on the PC.[/QUOTE]Actually if I remember right I think it was ~$18 for maybe 10 minutes before they realised it was a mistake. I can see it getting cheaper this holiday sale after New Vegas hits.

Played too much of Fallout on the PS3 so I'll wait until it's even cheaper.

Is it worth it to get both Oblivion and Morrowind, or are they pretty similar?

Oblivion is worth the $8.50

it's similar but I feel you'll want mods to better the UI and inventory. FO3 did some updates to the inventory that I remember being cumbersome for Oblivion. Like keys and stuff was bunk in Oblivion, nothing mods can't help. Hope you like melee combat though rather than guns. I liked Oblivion a lot more than FO3 also.. played FO3 for 20+ hours on PS3 though never got to finish it haha.

I enjoyed the fantasy setting of Oblivion a lot more than post-nuclear fallout setting.

[quote name='KingDox']How does Morrowind still hold up? For 5 bucks I'm wondering if it is worth picking up.[/QUOTE]

Seems like a crappier looking Oblivion to me, but my die hard Elder Scroll fan friend of mine, likes it more than Oblivion. I'll most likely pick it up just for the sake of owning it, since it's only 5 bucks.

[quote name='Default09']Seems like a crappier looking Oblivion to me, but my die hard Elder Scroll fan friend of mine, likes it more than Oblivion. I'll most likely pick it up just for the sake of owning it, since it's only 5 bucks.[/QUOTE]

Morrowind is about a million times better than Oblivion.

I haven't toyed with Oblivian yet, but Morrowind has an unbelievable mod community. I think there's a mod for anything and everything in that game. A few years ago when I was playing it frequently I think I had well over 50 mods installed. Buildings, characters, loot, ambient mods, etc. Good stuff. may grab it for $5.00 just to have it all in one place.

In for all 3, even though I always seem to struggle to play Oblivion (I love the game, hate the story, which makes it hard). Maybe with that horse armor I'll be able to enjoy it enough to complete it.

[quote name='evilwrath666']Morrowind is about a million times better than Oblivion.[/QUOTE]

I agree that its got deeper gameplay than Oblivion, but that horrible dice-roll combat system really sticks out in my mind more than anything else. Is there a mod to make it suck less?

I like Morrowind more than Oblivion but Oblivion is pretty good and has the same mod community that morrowind does. People are still release stuff for both.

Note you want to be careful with the steam version of these games because both games have graphic extenders and mod enhancers that replace the exe file which obviously will not work with steam. I'm not sure if there are other means that don't mess with the exe to extend graphics and add code for mods. I haven;t played in years so new methods could have come up.

Let's see. I have Morrowind vanilla for PC somewhere still, I think. I have Oblivion GOTY (not Deluxe) for PC as well. I also have Fallout 3 GOTY for PS3.

But for some reason I want to get these all on Steam. Call it for the Steam convenience, call it for the extra content for Morrowind and Oblivion, not to mention having the mods for Fallout 3.

Would I still be considered crazy if I jump on all 3? ;)

[quote name='V878']Do you already own the vanilla game? If so, Newegg was still the better deal. Here you're basically paying $9 more for the Mothership Zeta DLC, which really isn't anything special.[/QUOTE]True, as I worked out after posting. I paid $4 each for four DLC packs and this would mean paying $5 each to get the alien weapons. Unless I can make back more than I paid for the NewEgg in selling them off, it'd be foolish. Maybe I'll float an ad to see who bites.

These are really great games, especially for these prices. If you judge the value of a game according to its length then these games are worth a lot more than their selling price. I would jump on Oblivion and Fallout 3 if my PC didn't suck so bad. Oh well, I'll just play them on the 360 unmodded. :(

[quote name='Gorregisguy']Too bad i just bought Oblivion yesterday. Kicking myself for that one.[/QUOTE]

Ow.. I did the same thing! Very ow! I pretty much never buy games on Steam unless it's on sale or it's a preorder.. of course this happens the one time I do!

Ya I just bought Oblivion recently, but I am jumping on FO3.

Edit: Dang, and it was just the goty edition too...

Just so you know, you can get all of the achievements for Fallout 3 in a matter of five minutes.

Open the console with tilde ~

addachievement 1

etc, all the way to 72.

[quote name='Geello']Just so you know, you can get all of the achievements for Fallout 3 in a matter of five minutes.

Open the console with tilde ~

addachievement 1

etc, all the way to 72.[/QUOTE]

Wow, that sounds so rewarding :roll:

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']I agree that its got deeper gameplay than Oblivion, but that horrible dice-roll combat system really sticks out in my mind more than anything else. Is there a mod to make it suck less?[/QUOTE]

I don't know, as frustrating as it could get to miss obvious hits due to stat rolls, you certainly got a much better sense of progression as your character gained strength and ability over the course of the game.

Oblivion, because of this and the fact that the world levels (making everything incredibly level and boring in terms of difficulty), didn't really deliver that sense of improvement.

I'm sure there's a mod for everything with these games, but I really prefer vanilla experiences (every mod I've ever tried has had some serious issue to counterbalance whatever it did well/added) and head to head, Morrowind vanilla was a more balanced, more challenging, less repetitive experience (god, those damn oblivion portals...)

I just bought Alienware M11x for $740.00. I will pick up Oblivion and Morrowind, but Fallout GOTY should be $15.00 by now.

bread's done
Back