Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
R.I.P Visceral Games.

DMXQYSZX0AAQHZM.jpg

Was willing to pay full price for Elex...

But holy shit what a clusterfuck.  Bad voice acting, graphics, gameplay, music...the hell happened to the devs.

New map, couple new weapons, kind of a new boss (King Fleshpound), daily objectives, more hats, more ways to buy hats...
King Fleshpound is the nickname Fox's mom gave me.

So can we make this Thursdays Brofist a KF2 night? I cannot make the regularly scheduled night next tuesday

King Fleshpound is the nickname Fox's mom gave me.

So can we make this Thursdays Brofist a KF2 night? I cannot make the regularly scheduled night next tuesday
You scheduled Marooner so you're free to change that to KF2, but keep KF2 next week as well since I can' t make it this week. FYI Marooners sucks so noone was going to play it anyway.

You scheduled Marooner so you're free to change that to KF2, but keep KF2 next week as well since I can' t make it this week. FYI Marooners sucks so noone was going to play it anyway.
Marooners got some big update a few months ago. It probably still sucks, but I'm guessing that's why he rescheduled it? GBK liked it lol

Marooners got some big update a few months ago. It probably still sucks, but I'm guessing that's why he rescheduled it? GBK liked it lol
When has a game sucking ever stopped a brofist? Im sure it wont even be in the bottom 10 of games played.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice! Now I only need to play the first 3 mass effect games first
If you don't have them, get them! They're all great. Though, ME3 base game's ending(s) does suck. For me, ME2 is still the crowning jewel of the series. While ME1 was great and got things going, its combat was good for a RPG at that time ("meh" by today's standards, though); but too reliant on a mix of stats & RNG/dice-rolls. Combat and questing was amazing in ME2; massively improved. ME3, for the most part's basically...more ME2.

While ME:A is good and severely underrated IMHO...ME:A just doesn't capture the magic of storytelling, characters, dialogue, and all that stuff BioWare branded games are known for. If DAI was your open-world bag and you want more, but with MEA set out in space with nowhere as good on the typical BioWare elements - you'll probably like it. ME:A's combat's fantastic and it's a gorgeous-looking game.

Whomever made that image should smack themselves for not having Lands of Lore under Westwood.
Visceral Games also had missing titles too... I suspect the victims of EA was what they really wanted to get across. Dante's Inferno was another big title.

Anyhow, reading the press release from EA it seems like their Star Wars game was too single player and it lacked season pass/loot box (and open world sidequest) potential.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/10/17/16490960/ea-closing-visceral-games-star-wars-game-delayed

So what's the verdict again on the Fallout 4 SP? I figure Witcher III at $20 would probably be the better buy, but I hate RPGs, but not Fallout.
Ain't touched much of Season Pass, despite owning it. Namely took on that DLC that gets you the Robot, since I needed another party member to carry my stuff.

Since you usually ain't fond of RPG's/ARPG's normally and you like shooting stuff in a big-huge open-worlds (i.e. Homefront: TR and Far Cry 2-4) - yeah, you'll probably dig Fallout 4. It's more ARPG than RPG, IMHO. It's great, mind you - but a different kind of great. I have over 100 hours w/ that damn game. Combat in FO4 is drastically improved over FO3 and NV, IMHO.

Unless you're big into settlements, Fallout 4 season pass is skippable.  There's only one DLC with sizable content, Far Harbor, and the rest revolve around building settlements aside from the little "make a robot companion" one.  On the other hand, if you are big into settlements then the season pass offers all sorts of toys for that: different new item packs, making a Vault, making raider camps to attack other settlements, etc.

Far Harbor isn't bad but it's only actually good if you take Nick along as none of the other companions have anything unique to say and won't react to what happens.  Long story short, they were only hiring one voice actor back for the DLC so only one companion matters.  It also offers some new settlement bric-a-brac, a new weapon type (radium rifles), and some other stuff.

Biggest issue with the season pass is that someone decided it was worth $50.  If it kept the base price of $30, it might be worth it while on sale.

Not going to quote it since I'm on mobile and it's a bit cheaper to edit stuff down... but Warreni makes a he'll of a point.

Remember when Mafia II came out and people bitched about how there was nothing to do in that giant city?

Just no pleasing everyone...
The problem is: the dev's and publishers can't seem to find a balance of this.

In Mafia 2, they have this huge game-world you really can't explore and barely anything to do, for the most part.

In Mafia 3, they go to other extreme and can't stop littering the map w/ one-off MMO side-quests & collectibles everywhere.

Where's the happy freakin' medium?

Let's see... Gothic series... Risen... Yeah, with that high a pedigree, I can't imagine what went wrong.
Except the Gothic games are some of people's favorite games...sooo...
Piranha Bytes' biggest problem is they really haven't evolved their games much w/ each game.

When Gothic launched, RPG's with full-blown voice-acting & immersive game-world w/ NPC's on schedules doing stuff (NPC's sitting in camps, NPC's talking to each each other, blacksmiths grinding things, blacksmiths hammering stuff, etc etc) was relatively new. It's not like Gothic series had the best voice-acting back then either; it was a new thing, so it was often given a "pass" b/c it was cool to have a whole RPG w/ ridiculous amounts of words being voice-acted. When other games start doing the full voice-acting thing and have great voice-acting (i.e. go see KOTOR and any BioWare games after that) - yeah, what PB's doing is basically "more of the same" when they don't have fantastic voice-actors everywhere.

With each release, PB has experimented and tweaked certain things a bit to their games (i.e. Gothic 3 added mouse-look for combat and the game-world become way more open-world and more ARPG with one-off quests everywhere; Risen 2 changed the camera so you can make it be able to lock and unlock which majorly changed the combat feel) - but never really much to really radically overhaul or change things to their core RPG style.

To me, Gothic 1 is probably their best game...and honestly, I don't think they'll ever top that. And honestly, their second best game is Risen 1, which is an awful similar in design to G1 in many ways.

Honestly, it feels more to me like people not understanding what they're buying.  Mafia II was a linear, plot based game with some open world elements.  People who thought it must be GTA 1955 because it had a map and cars were going to be disappointed.  I don't know if that's really the developer's fault.

Legend of Kyrandia is what I always think of when I see Westwood. Classic but hard, don't think I ever beat it.
Love that game.

Visceral Games also had missing titles too... I suspect the victims of EA was what they really wanted to get across. Dante's Inferno was another big title.
Yeah, I'm sure most studios had some good titles missing. Lands of Lore is the one that stuck out most to me.

I forgot about Dante's Inferno's ending that implied a sequel. Thanks for making me sad.

WESTWOOD MADE BLADE RUNNER, YOU UNCULTURED SWINE
I got that on release. Great game.

I forgot how much good stuff Westwood put out.

Recoil, Nox, Earth & Beyond, Eye of the Beholder I&II ...

Unless you're big into settlements, Fallout 4 season pass is skippable. There's only one DLC with sizable content, Far Harbor, and the rest revolve around building settlements aside from the little "make a robot companion" one.
Well Nuka world was also pretty sizable but imho it sucked so it doesn't matter anyway

As far as the actual quest content i liked automatron (the robot companion dlc) the best, but it was a really short campaign.

Far harbor was alright. Reminded me of point lookout from fo3 in terms of atmosphere. I was pretty ticked they paid so much attention to the settlement building (both in the main game and the dlc).

But anyway, if you can get the season pass for like 15 bucks or so that's probably around the price I'd consider it being an okay deal.

Honestly, it feels more to me like people not understanding what they're buying. Mafia II was a linear, plot based game with some open world elements. People who thought it must be GTA 1955 because it had a map and cars were going to be disappointed. I don't know if that's really the developer's fault.
Mafia 1 was linear as can be, but was great w/ its story, characters, and all of that stuff. And there was also the open-world Free Ride mode, which shipped w/ the game.

I don't recall Mafia 2 shipping w/ a Free Ride Mode, out-the-box.

You get in your car and drive :lol:

Christ, people will whine about anything video game related.

Edit: The above about Free Ride was tongue-in-cheek. I know it was more than that. The Mafia II DLC with driving missions sucked hard and I'm glad they didn't waste time on them for the base game.

"Bleh" at the closing of Visceral. I loved Dead Space 1 and 2; and liked Dead Space 3 and Battlefield: Hardline.

Always sucks to see a good developer close...especially when EA inevitably decides to close another damn studio. Tired of EA ruining the good ones and great ones. 

I fear BioWare could wind-up sooner or later on the chopping block....

Honestly, it feels more to me like people not understanding what they're buying. Mafia II was a linear, plot based game with some open world elements. People who thought it must be GTA 1955 because it had a map and cars were going to be disappointed. I don't know if that's really the developer's fault.
My solution: didn't buy either because they look dumb.

I've never heard anyone mention a single positive or memorable thing about Mafia. What were people discussing again? Boring games that nobody plays? I don't remember.

My solution: didn't buy either because they look dumb.

I've never heard anyone mention a single positive or memorable thing about Mafia. What were people discussing again? Boring games that nobody plays? I don't remember.
Mafia series is often very cinematic in its style with fantastic storytelling & character development. If you want to shoot enemies in-between this stuff (which is usually serviceable but nothing spectacular) and joy-ride from location-to-location listening to great music at the period the game's depicted in (these dev's surely know how to curate a great soundtrack) - then you'll like the Mafia series.

EDIT:

Yes, The Saboteur is one of my favorite games.
The Saboteur was really good. Didn't even do many side stuff in that game, yet still got through the main story just fine. Highly recommended.

Mafia 1 was linear as can be, but was great e/ its story, characters, and all of that stuff. And there was also the open-world Free Ride mode, which shipped w/ the game.

I tried Mafia 1 and uninstalled it five minutes after fighting with the atrocious controls. Maybe it was better on console.

hahaha I remember doing the same thing like 15 years ago!
Honestly, in some ways, combat's much better now in Mafia 3. Controls are much better and streamlined, like a modern GTA-style game. Plus, you can now also mix styles of combat - as you can a stealthy approach to things (before anyone notices you), if need be. Older Mafia games really didn't do have the stealthy approach.

Some things, like the details & realism, were more interesting in Mafia 1. For example, shooting a car in M1 - you have to actually aim at the gas tank to knock it out or shoot the engine to blow a car up. M3 - eh, just end somewhere close to the back of the car where the gas tank might be, it'll go up in flames.

Maybe two, three years ago? I've had the game on Steam since forever.
With so many games improving immensely on controls for gunplay and action mechanics - yeah, I could see how it could be tough to get into Mafia 1 in this post-Mass Effect 2 era.

I tried Mafia 1 and uninstalled it five minutes after fighting with the atrocious controls. Maybe it was better on console.
Absolutely better on console. I had a good time with it at least on PS2.

You're not misremembering. The Mafia driving controls were simply awful.
They were awful w/ KB-mouse; a lot of games are awful for driving controls though w/ KB-mouse, TBH. They were better w/ a gamepad.

Though, Mafia 1 isn't really a game most people probably played for driving and shooting anyways. It's for the story & character stuff.

The other thing was: well, Mafia 1 really force the rules of the road, too. Cops will come after you for not stopping at stop signs, not stopping at red lights, driving on sidewalk, speeding, and other things of that.

Mafia 3 does have some road rules, but nowhere like they were enforced in Mafia 1.

Do I spend 20 GabenBux on Witchur 3 nao or will it be lower during the Nov sale....WILL IT BE LOWER???? WILL IT???? I DONUT WHANT TO WAIST ME GABENBUX!!!!!!

HAS THE STEAM FALL SALE STARTED YET?????
Witcher 3 GOTY will not be lower for Winter sale. The only advantage of waiting until Winter sale vs now is that you would get 2 Winter Sale cards (holiday cards) for purchasing then.

[Skyrim made open-world popular.]

I think you make a good point about the prevalence of open worlds in gaming today, which I sort-of blame Bethesda for. The popularity of Skyrim is what I think really made devs say, "Well, obviously a modern RPG needs to have an open world with over 100 hours of content or gamers will complain that my new game is far inferior to Skyrim." I don't believe that's anywhere remotely approaching true, but it seems like it's one of those things that is commonly-received wisdom at this point.

[Mafia 3]

As regards Mafia III, I just finished putting about 150 hours into it, including the season pass content, and my feeling is that, yes, the territory-takeover components to the story are some of the samey-est and least interesting parts of the game. However, if I as an individual player focussed on just completing the core story elements, my game time would have been at least one-third of what I put into it. I made a personal choice to go after all of the collectibles in the game and to activate wiretaps in every single area on the map, as well as completing a number of optional side-missions for lieutenants and odds-and-ends things like fully upgrading Sammy's. It's not really 2K's fault that I spent a lot of extra time in the game or that players tend to demand that side-missions and collectibles are even a thing in what is basically a TPS/FPS-hybrid. I can't compare III to the original Mafia because I was never able to get that one to run on my computer. I think it compares favorably to Mafia II. The typical mandate in making a game sequel to an entertaining game is "that, but more." And, even though there are some weird elements to Mafia III, it pretty much is Mafia II but more. Yes, the story is a bit more convoluted (and controversial) and it's less linear, but those aren't necessarily defects.

[Shadow of Mordor]

Hm. Well, I have played Shadow of Mordor, and it was good and worth-playing. If you're a Tolkien fan, you'll enjoy it for the story and the action (unless you're a purist, in which case you'll probably hate the story), and if not, you can just enjoy the action. Mordor is extremely similar to an Arkham game in regards to the combat (ludicrously so, as you get more upgrades for Talion), but that's what makes it fun, at least until you stumble into one of those situations where the game just throws hundreds of enemies at you all at once (even the Batman games never did this).

[Dragon Age: Inquisition]

I think a lot of this discussion started when DA: I came out and people complained that there were too many things to do. I tend to agree with Syntax about this, though; you don't actually HAVE to do everything a game throws at you. Even in non-open-world games, devs design entire regions that some players who finish the game once may never see (The Witcher 2 comes to mind here). While it makes the game design and development more challenging and time-consuming, I see this as a win for players, wiho are not guaranteed a unique experience, per se, but are guaranteed that not every player will walk away from a game with the same experience, and that's pretty cool IMO. I think it's only when a game gates the story content behind completing a certain number of repetitious and poorly-conceived side-quests that you end up with a game that makes people not want to finish it.

Personally I don't feel that characterization applies to DA:I; there were enough different ways to obtain the power that you needed to advance the story that you didn't have to do things you didn't want to (at least, that's my recollection). I will say that DA:I did not live up to DA:O, but BioWare opted not to make a direct sequel to that game in any case. It did end up getting a bit Skyrim'd, and, yes, if David Gaider and the rest of the crew could have done a new DA:O game, that would have been great, but what we ended up getting was pretty great in its own way.

[Mass Effect series]

This is probably true too. To my mind, when we really started seeing this trend is with Mass Effect 2. Mass Effect's combat was much less streamlined and was designed with tactics and PC controls in mind. The sequels simplified some things and added some layers of complexity to others with changes to biotics and the way cover worked, but both were pushing the player toward a run-and-gun style of play in combat set-pieces. I decried this perceived shift at the time but it seems to be a train that has left the proverbial station.

[Old School RPG's]

There are, as you say, some old-school RPGs still being made, like Wasteland 2 (and 3) and Pillars of Eternity (along with indie offerings like Avadon), but that is a bit of a niche market now and AAA money just isn't going to be invested in those kinds of titles anymore. The good thing for people like me (and presumably MysterD) is that there are still devs out there who are sufficiently passionate about making those kinds of games that they will continue to get made as long as the playerbase continues to support them.
I think it probably doesn't help that I've been doing open-world action games for a very long time. GTA 3 and all GTA's (that hit the PC) since then. Boiling Point: Road To Hell (AKA Xenus). STALKER: SoC. Morrowind and newer ES games.

And of course, since those - the genre has really exploded; especially in the AAA space. Fallout 3, NV, FO4. Far Cry 2+3+4. Tomb Raider Reboot and Rise of the TR. AC series. ME:A. Dragon Age: Inquisition. Yeah, I've played lots of them open-world games, to say the least.

Oh, and BTW - I did spend around 115 hours w/ Fallout 4 (really liked it) and around 165 hours w/ DA:I. Loved DA:I - and those might actually be the last open-world game I spent ridiculous hours with that I truly loved. Sure, I loved Rise of the TR (with the Baba Yaga DLC) - but I only spent 25 hours with it and finished the game up at the right time (i.e. before I was getting tired of it).

The other thing was: well, Mafia 1 really force the rules of the road, too. Cops will come after you for not stopping at stop signs, not stopping at red lights, driving on sidewalk, speeding, and other things of that.

Mafia 3 does have some road rules, but nowhere like they were enforced in Mafia 1.
Well, as it's fresh in the brain I have to say--the only "rules of the road" in Mafia III are these: 1) don't get in an accident with a police car [seriously, they'll come after you like you're John Dillinger], and 2) don't run over pedestrians in the line-of-sight of a police officer.

bread's done
Back