Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
And funny, but the floppy disk was actually succeeded by...the floppy disk. While I'm not old enough to have used 8" disks, I used cartridges and cassette tape along with 5 1/4" disks on my TI. Once I got to 3 1/2" disks, I couldn't fathom how so much fit on something so small. I still remember my first HDD upgrade I did myself...SCSI 345MB Maxtor in an Amiga.
Yea, I was just looking at a 400 GB microSD card last week, and being a little stunned after thinking about it.

My first HDD upgrade was like 200 MB, and installing like 5 3.5" disks for Doom.

Stellaris players, is any of the DLC worth my money/time?
TLDR: One, its Paradox so the DLC is overpriced and plentiful. Two, buy them on sale unless you're in love with the game.

On the big expansions, Utopia probably, Apocalypse no. I don't own it but it basically lets you build death stars. Check steam reviews for more in-depth reasons. The species and story packs are nice but I would only recommend them if you really get into the game. Long story short, try the base game first.

I could rant for a long time over the problems with this game. They're soon going to go through another major game design change, well in 3-6 months I'd guess. On the upside they do let you get access to older versions. I dunno how that will work on GOG and its convoluted now on Steam due to the new EU laws that has everyone updating their TOS/cookies policies etc..

At this stage, given all of the dlc for the game they really should be selling the base game for no more than $10 all the time. It was in a Humble monthly last year.

Oh, and the most important rule when playing Stellaris, finish any game you start within 2-4 weeks tops. Pretty much every new patch they release for the game will kill your old saves or make them buggy as hell.

Last edited by a moderator:
TLDR: One, its Paradox so the DLC is overpriced and plentiful. Two, buy them on sale unless you're in love with the game.

On the big expansions, Utopia probably, Apocalypse no. I don't own it but it basically lets you build death stars. Check steam reviews for more in-depth reasons. The species and story packs are nice but I would only recommend them if you really get into the game. Long story short, try the base game first.

I could rant for a long time over the problems with this game. They're soon going to go through another major game design change, well in 3-6 months I'd guess. On the upside they do let you get access to older versions. I dunno how that will work on GOG and its convoluted now on Steam due to the new EU laws that has everyone updating their TOS/cookies policies etc..

At this stage, given all of the dlc for the game they really should be selling the base game for no more than $10 all the time. It was in a Humble monthly last year.

Oh, and the most important rule when playing Stellaris, finish any game you start within 2-4 weeks tops. Pretty much every new patch they release for the game will kill your old saves or make them buggy as hell.
Thanks man. That was very helpful.

I checked the store pages & reviews for each DLC over on steam and looked to me like Utopia was the closest to essential. So I just grabbed that plus the base game.

Oh and I just bought it over on GOG. So I don't have to worry too much about game breaking updates as I have much greater control over updates there. I mean, I guess I could control it on steam in theory. But I've had my "disable updates" settings glitch back to the default setting in the past. So I prefer having to manually download the updates and apply them myself. Plus I can always roll back to an erlier version pretty easily as long as I still have old installer.

Yea, I was just looking at a 400 GB microSD card last week, and being a little stunned after thinking about it.

My first HDD upgrade was like 200 MB, and installing like 5 3.5" disks for Doom.
Doom came on four floppies. The full version, that is. The shareware version was only two.

"Yo, Shadow Warrior 2 hasn't gone beyond 50% off and not in a humble monthly or anything yet. let's just fucking give it away"

well ok... assuming SW2 wins. you guys do love me, right?

WTF kind of game is Shadow Warrior 2 and why do I feel like I've never heard of it before? That trailer was batshit insane.  I think I want that to win!

Iqrn7ie.gif

WTF kind of game is Shadow Warrior 2 and why do I feel like I've never heard of it before? That trailer was batshit insane. I think I want that to win!
Shadow Warrior 2 is the sequel to the Shadow Warrior 2013 reboot.

SW 2013 is an old-school style FPS, for the most part - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_Warrior_(2013_video_game)

SW 2 is a looter-shooter w/ some ramdomized missions/areas with some open-world stuff and less linear stuff going on, this time around:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_Warrior_2#Gameplay

Shadow Warrior (1997) was the original, developed by 3D Realms. It was on the Build Engine (i.e. DN3D Engine) and was a fun, humurous & very crass old-school FPS - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_Warrior_(1997_video_game)

Damn! Didn't make the list. . . .

Waters of Mars.

And some sort of egret?
I had mixed feelings about Waters of Mars. It had its good bits, but water aliens?! Ugh. Also, I have no idea how to count those weird 90 minute things Tennant did leading up to the whole "suddenly Rassilon is somehow still around and crashing Gallifrey into Earth because The Master" swan song.

Midnight and Blink are two of the best Doctor Who episodes ever, old series or new.
I'm going to say no to that. But it was Blink. What is everyone's obsession with Midnight over here? It was one of the worst bottle episodes in the history of the new series. Well, it's probably a toss-up between that one and 42. They were both fairly awful.

Well, Blink might.
In terms of single episodes, I'd go with Eccleston's best was Dalek, John Hurt's best was Day of the Doctor, Tennant's best was Blink, Smith's best was Vincent and the Doctor, Capaldi's best was "Heaven Sent".
Interesting choices. I would not disagree too vehemently with any of these except that Capaldi's best was really "Listen." And Smith's may have been "The Lodger," but really, the whole of Series 5 was quite good (except for "Victory of the Daleks"--that was just silly).

So I haven't done this in a while, and I'm bored and tired after driving most of the day today, so here's the deal: the first individual who virtually pinky-swears that he'll claim it for personal use only and provides the correct answers to the following four items by PM gets a free whatever-the-hell-kind-of-link that Humble gives you for Overwatch:

• Name the type of onsite sewage treatment and disposal system most commonly installed in coastal areas.
aerobic treatment unit
  • Name the best single-episode David Tennant Doctor Who story [shut up, that is not subjective!].
Blink
  • Are gharials more closely related to alligators or crocodiles?
Crocodiles
  • Identify the species of this bird.
Anhinga

Have fun.

EDIT: Huh. This may have been harder than I thought. Keep 'em coming, folks.
So, <shrug>? won with 3 out of 4 correct answers. Above are the answers. Fox was the only person to correctly name that bird. We may have a closet birder in our midst.

Just got back from a work trip out of town to find a massive tree branch fell and smashed the back glass on my 2007 VW Beetle. Ugh. More messes to clean up tomorrow.

I'm going to say no to that. But it was Blink. What is everyone's obsession with Midnight over here? It was one of the worst bottle episodes in the history of the new series. Well, it's probably a toss-up between that one and 42. They were both fairly awful.
I'd say Girl in the Fireplace, myself, though to be fair I haven't watched the show in years.

But obviously the best single episode in the new series in general is Dalek.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but besides the individual games on sale during GOG's 10 Anniversary Sale they also have some themed bundles. 

The biggest one is probably their Modern Classics Bundle.  It includes Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun and Battle Chasers: Nightwar for $25.  I don't think Kingdom Come: Deliverance has ever gone that low on sale and you get two other games with it.

https://www.gog.com/game/collection_iii

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but besides the individual games on sale during GOG's 10 Anniversary Sale they also have some themed bundles.

The biggest one is probably their Modern Classics Bundle. It includes Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun and Battle Chasers: Nightwar for $25. I don't think Kingdom Come: Deliverance has ever gone that low on sale and you get two other games with it.

https://www.gog.com/game/collection_iii
Mentioned the sale in GOG Thread:
https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/288742-gog-deals-thread/?p=14060736

Talked about pricing, hours, etc of KCD Bundle in GOG Thread:

https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/288742-gog-deals-thread/?p=14060759

Thing is - I own some things for these GOG Bundles, so a lot of these give me repeats I have on Steam, GOG, or elsewhere.

GOG Bundle 1 - Missing only Dungeon Keeper 2.

GOG Bundle 2 - Missing Owlboy and Homeworld: Remastered version (I own Homeworld 1+2 old editions from retail).

GOG Bundle 3 - I am missing KCD.

I'd say Girl in the Fireplace, myself, though to be fair I haven't watched the show in years.

You know, The Girl in the Fireplace was rather good. My wife loved it.

Interesting nugget, because you guys probably want to talk about games or something. Anyway, this one should get the hairs on the back of MysterD's neck erect. There was a question about Red Dead Redemption 2 on Saturday's episode of "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me." Apparently, the devs have modelled realistic genital shrinkage for horses fording cold rivers in the game.

Anyway, this one should get the hairs on the back of MysterD's neck erect. There was a question about Red Dead Redemption 2 on Saturday's episode of "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me." Apparently, the devs have modelled realistic genital shrinkage for horses fording cold rivers in the game.
I needed to know this.

Said no one, ever.

Blink was scary, original and a well crafted episode in general.

Midnight had some dialogue and pacing issues but it was scarier/creepier than Blink because the threat was human nature and more so than in any other episode I can think of, the Doctor was powerless. No outsmarting his foe at the last minute, no talking his way out of a situation. We never needed to see the alien lifeform because it was never the real threat. I also consider it one of the more unique/clever episodes because of that.

Blink was scary, original and a well crafted episode in general.

Midnight had some dialogue and pacing issues but it was scarier/creepier than Blink because the threat was human nature and more so than in any other episode I can think of, the Doctor was powerless. No outsmarting his foe at the last minute, no talking his way out of a situation. We never needed to see the alien lifeform because it was never the real threat. I also consider it one of the more unique/clever episodes because of that.
Well, we can agree to disagree, but the Doctor is frequently powerless and, in many if not most of the shows, he's battling against human nature. You can't really say that there was no external threat because the threat was the alien that was taking over people. I'm leery of any of these shows that lean too heavily on concepts like "mental energy" that are basically nonsense. Doctor Who works best when it either completely glosses over the science behind its fiction or on the rare occasions when it gets it right. Look at something like "The Invisible Enemy." It's basically Fantastic Voyage with a robot dog, and it's entertaining because, well, Tom Baker, but the story is fundamentally nonsense, and that's one of the key reasons it's not going to make anyone's top ten list of best serials ever.

Can't wait to watch shriveling horse ballsacks in 4K...
I just assumed this would be a reason for people to fork over $1,000 for a GTX Googolplex. I mean, horse dongs, am I right?

Interesting nugget, because you guys probably want to talk about games or something. Anyway, this one should get the hairs on the back of MysterD's neck erect. There was a question about Red Dead Redemption 2 on Saturday's episode of "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me." Apparently, the devs have modelled realistic genital shrinkage for horses fording cold rivers in the game.
Please, you had me at erect...

...then lost me at shrinkage.

That's an odd way to spell The Empty Child. (No, but seriously, it's actually really tough to choose the best from a number of the Eccleston episodes, and it's a testimony to Dalek just how many can in fact choose it.

You know, The Girl in the Fireplace was rather good. My wife loved it.

9R1qBEM.gif

That's an odd way to spell The Empty Child. (No, but seriously, it's actually really tough to choose the best from a number of the Eccleston episodes, and it's a testimony to Dalek just how many can in fact choose it.

9R1qBEM.gif
I think the thing that really elevates Dalek over the other great Eccleston episodes is that it really makes an amazing introduction to the daleks as Davies saw them, which I think is probably the best interpretation of the daleks yet; and it also gives a great introduction into really everything that's both great and petty in the Doctor. I'd never really seen any Doctor Who going into the new first series, and Dalek really just made a huge impression on me. In a real way, it's unconsciously kind of what I measure every other episode against, so I imagine a lot of people who were just new to the lore and everything give it extra points for that.

All that and it was really just an outstanding episode in general.

God I wish Eccleston hadn't left after one season.

HEY GUYS!

IT'S TUESDAY!

WHO'S HYPED FOR A NEW HUMBLE BUNDLE TODAY!

SURE GLAD IGN DIDN'T RUIN HUMBLE BUNDLE!
If by some miracle it's the best bundle in the last couple years, I'm gonna thank you. Just a heads up.

I had mixed feelings about Waters of Mars. It had its good bits, but water aliens?! Ugh. Also, I have no idea how to count those weird 90 minute things Tennant did leading up to the whole "suddenly Rassilon is somehow still around and crashing Gallifrey into Earth because The Master" swan song.
I liked it mostly due to the last 10 minutes, where he realizes both how powerful and powerless he was. It's one of the few times where you actually have a legit reason to fear the Doctor, and not just the scary alien. Which is also terrifying for lifeforms based on water. Like an alien prion.

Damn! Didn't make the list. . . .

Interesting choices. I would not disagree too vehemently with any of these except that Capaldi's best was really "Listen." And Smith's may have been "The Lodger," but really, the whole of Series 5 was quite good (except for "Victory of the Daleks"--that was just silly).

So, <shrug>? won with 3 out of 4 correct answers. Above are the answers. Fox was the only person to correctly name that bird. We may have a closet birder in our midst.

Just got back from a work trip out of town to find a massive tree branch fell and smashed the back glass on my 2007 VW Beetle. Ugh. More messes to clean up tomorrow.
I'm partial to chickens, but when you can't find a chicken, anything will do.

Also, sucks about your car. I'd feel worse but you started all this Dr. Who nerd talk so you probably deserve it.

I'm partial to chickens, but when you can't find a chicken, anything will do.

Also, sucks about your car. I'd feel worse but you started all this Dr. Who nerd talk so you probably deserve it.
I see.

Yes, you're probably correct on that point. I do have a way of stirring the pot, don't I?

I liked it mostly due to the last 10 minutes, where he realizes both how powerful and powerless he was. It's one of the few times where you actually have a legit reason to fear the Doctor, and not just the scary alien. Which is also terrifying for lifeforms based on water. Like an alien prion.
Agreed. Naturally, that's what they were going for (and Tennant was rather excellent in portraying that), but that part was very good. Hubris is the word that comes to mind.

God I wish Eccleston hadn't left after one season.
I'm okay with him leaving (although I get the sense you feel this way because you're not a Tennant fan), but what's a much greater tragedy is the way that he left. He has his reasons for that, and he's spoken about them (finally) and that's both understandable and disappointing. But the real shame of it is that he could not be convinced to participate in the 50th anniversary. Who doesn't like John Hurt? He's a great actor. But for the sake of continuity, wouldn't it have been so much more awesome to have Eccleston, Tennant, and Smith together for that special? It's obvious (I mean, look at the episode you're discussing) that Eccleston's bitter, angry Doctor was the model for the War Doctor, and the latter is a character who simply did not need to exist--if it weren't for the fact that Eccleston's departure from the series was so acrimonious that he swore he would never be associated with it again (and he kept his word). Someday he may change his mind and participate in future events or Big Finish productions, but there won't ever be another 50th.

Well, you can't count The Empty Child without The Doctor Dances. I can't honestly say I'm the biggest fan of the way that Davies used the Jack Harkness character to inject a bit of sexual politics into the series, but beyond that, those were a pair of excellent episodes. Eccleston's exuberance as he declares, "Just this once . . . everybody lives!" really makes you feel like this is a guy who suffers so much that the few, exceptionally rare circumstances where he stumbles into a situation and is able to save everyone are the moments that make all of his pain worthwhile.

bread's done
Back