Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
MysterD and Warreni already logged walls of text this weekend. Don't make me go write a thesis on comedy writing and performance.
I'mma make you, natch.

Jokes that make no sense are lousy, and I'll point that out regardless of how worthless the thing being made fun of is. Nyeeeeeeeh.

I was watching the AMD codes on eBay yesterday.  So far only the "Pick 2"-game codes have shown up (redeem with a 570/580) which are separate from the 3-game codes (redeem with a 590)

A couple of guys got into a price war and went from $50 down to $34 before one guy sold out and the other guy said "lol to this price" and bumped right back up to $59.99, just to give a little price data for how low it's gotten so far.  Of course, the deal is young so who knows at this point.  Still, Division 2 and Resident Evil 2 for $17 each ain't nothing to be unhappy about.

Holy shit! That's way worse than I thought it'd be.I have no idea what Bethesda was thinking. "You know how we're known for building immersive single player rpg-ish games with great world building and exploration, but we're also known for never having our shit together when it comes to bugs? Why don't we strip out the things that make our games worth exploring and seem alive (npcs, non mmo-ish quests) and make it a destiny-lite type experience, and make it even more of a shit show by making it reliant on servers? And THEN on top of that we'll make our beta last like 2 weeks! IT'LL BE SO GREAT!!!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Wish list purge update:

~ 1,411* items checked
~ 695* items removed (includes DLC entries)

~ 720 items remaining to check

current wish list count: 1,483**

*Does not include 39 games that I had in my spreadsheet but were absent from wish list, likely because those appIDs were deleted from the store. Also does not include ~20 free games that I added to my account - why did I wish list free games? :fridge:

**My spreadsheet count is 1,436, and thus far I have 39 phantom entries, so that leaves 8 appIDs unaccounted.  Discussion and fix for removing the phantom items - I'll do that after the main purge. Anyway, my total items removed count should be higher (734).

Enhanced Steam used to provide a list of all wish entries that could be copied and pasted easily. In the last 2-3 years I've manually updated my spreadsheet list as I added or removed/redeemed games & DLC. Cross-referencing that is how I've noted which games are "phantom" entries.

Like I wrote before, I'm removing games at a higher rate now (>70%) because most of what's come out in the last couple years is repetitive, poorly reviewed, not reviewed, or abandoned altogether.

The quest for sub-1,000 marches on! :twoguns:

I doubt it will, but I hope, I hope, I HOPE some of the negative feedback about 76 dissuades Beth from making RAGE 2 exclusive to their own BS launcher.

So, bros, what CPU's out there have good price/performance value?
A lot of factors involved here. What are your most frequent and demanding applications / games? Will you overclock? Budget window? Motherboard resrictions? Etc.

Personally I'm happy with a 8350k I bought for $130 recently and run at 5.1 24/7. Mid-tier ryzen chips are also very competitive and more abundant these days.

So, bros, what CPU's out there have good price/performance value?
The Ryzen 5 2600 is the best value chip for your money at $149.99 and the AM4 motherboard will allow you to upgrade to Ryzen 3 CPUs next year if you wish. However, Intel chips are still much better at single-threaded performance (most games). If you're looking for cheap the i5-8400 is only $179.99. Hardly any games are using more than 4 cores yet; that might change when the next-gen consoles release in 2020.

You can find a relative CPU benchmark rating list right here. But you'll probably want to use the single-threaded chart for gaming purposes. Use these charts to compare relative performance among consumer CPUs.

Personally I'd get the i5-9600k for $239.99 (6cores,6threads) or the i7-9700k for $399.99 (8cores, 8threads) if you are getting a new processor for gaming right now. They'll last you the longest, perhaps 5-6 years with high-end games. Unless you want to /punt on this year, wait for the 10nm process chips, and just get something new now to only last a couple of years.

No overclocking. Budget probably like $1,200ish total including the AMD 580 I'll most likely be getting. I don't play many demanding games but I want to be kewl and graphics whore it up for the few I do play. I usually get Intel i5's and i5-9600's are like $250ish which seems to be a decent price (although 8600's are even less). Never had an i7 so not sure if they're really worth it.

Ideally I would like a CPU that lasts about four to five years because I will consider upgrading the 580 to Nvidia's 21X0 series (or AMD equivalent) if prices from the ray-tracing fad somewhat normalize.

No overclocking. Budget probably like $1,200ish total including the AMD 580 I'll most likely be getting. I don't play many demanding games but I want to be kewl and graphics whore it up for the few I do play. I usually get Intel i5's and i5-9600's are like $250ish which seems to be a decent price (although 8600's are even less). Never had an i7 so not sure if they're really worth it.
I use a 8600k @5.0 in my primary machine, happy enough with it. Newegg had it listed at $199 for a brief window a few months ago so I pulled the trigger then. Unless you are heavily using multi threaded applications beyond gaming, a budget build will be much better off staying away from the 8700/9700 chips and putting those coins into your gpu or storage instead. If you won't overclock then the 8400 Nothing suggested will be a better choice.

I'm about to replace my i5 2500 with a 9600k but only have an evo 212 cooler. What cooler would I need to get a 9600k to 5ghz? Preferably a quiet one. 

Ideally I would like a CPU that lasts about four to five years because I will consider upgrading the 580 to Nvidia's 21X0 series (or AMD equivalent) if prices from the ray-tracing fad somewhat normalize.
the i5-8600k was the best valued gaming cpu and now its the i5-9600k since the new chips came out. If you don't want to spend that much you can get the i5-8400 to lower the cost. You have DDR4 RAM yet?

I'm about to replace my i5 2500 with a 9600k but only have an evo 212 cooler. What cooler would I need to get a 9600k to 5ghz? Preferably a quiet one.
I haven't used one of those Cooler Master 212 air coolers for a few generations now, so I'm not sure what you could expect. I personally use a Cooler Master Liquid 240 (non rgb version) I snagged from newegg for $40 AR.

Not all 8600k or 9600k chips can reach at 5 stable regardless of volts or temps though. 4.7-4.8 seems to be the floor. I believe Intel did release with a high binned LE chip that guaranteed 5.0+ but that's just not worth it.

The Noctua D14 is the best rated air cooler and it will perform just as well as a liquid cooler in most instances. These things are massive. I bought a Cyrorig H7 plus for 40 bucks just to save some scratch; they perform just fine, about ~3c higher.

Otherwise I'd get a Corsair 240/280mm AIO cooler and in fact there is a superb deal on them right now for the very first time ($79.99). The 240mm is always $119.99. If you want a budget AIO you can get a Cooler Master ML 240L or ML 240R but they are louder, with worse fans.

This is a total 'from-scratch' build. My GPU died a few (several) months ago but the rest of the system is fairly antiquated -- the CPU is an i5-4670k.

The Noctua D14 is the best rated air cooler and it will perform just as well as a liquid cooler in most instances. These things are massive. I bought a Cyrorig H7 plus for 40 bucks just to save some scratch; they perform just fine, about ~3c higher.

Otherwise I'd get a Corsair 240/280mm AIO cooler and in fact there is a superb deal on them right now for the very first time ($79.99). The 240mm is always $119.99. If you want a budget AIO you can get a Cooler Master ML 240L or ML 240R but they are louder, with worse fans.
The one you linked is $99. Where is the $79 version? How quiet are they?

The case you want is on sale btw.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16811146272

The one you linked is $99. Where is the $79 version? How quiet are they?
There's a promotional discount for your first time using Google Express. 20% off, $20 max off your first order, listed right below the 'add to cart' button. Unless you already used yours.

That's the smart version. I'm actually looking at the dumb version (the non-'i') which is reg. $149 because of the intrusive, system hog CAM software.

Ahhh, I see. I'm not a new user, though I could make a new account I suppose. If I may ask two more questions;

Would it pair up well with this case?

And lastly,

How quiet is it? I hear horror stories of noisy motors and other issues with water cooling.

You can see some of the decibel ratings here but it all depends on how fast you run and/or automate the fans.  I'd take them with a grain of salt. 

I generally use Tom's Hardware when I have a specific question like that.  Type the model into the search box, and then click 'articles' tab to find an extensive review.  Most popular consumer grade items have one.  

Specifications on the item listing of the case will tell you the size of radiators you can mount on either the front or the top. 

I have an H100i v2 and the motor/pump makes barely any sound.  I wasn't especially impressed with the stock Corsair fans that came with it so switched them out for Cougar Vortex fans.  When I reused the AIO in my new build, I sprung for some Gentle Typhoon fans which I don't know if you can even buy any longer.  Too bad since they really hit the sweet spot of static pressure and low noise.  I do like the Cougar Vortex fans though for low noise, good airflow and a cheap price (and I've never had one fail on me) and those are my standard fans to add to a new or upgraded build.

My i5-8600K can hit 5GHz and stay stable under Prime95 although I run it at 4.7GHz just for peace of mind and I'm not really going to notice the difference anyway.

This is a total 'from-scratch' build. My GPU died a few (several) months ago but the rest of the system is fairly antiquated -- the CPU is an i5-4670k.
This is the build I literally just did for a buddy of mine. He wanted to stay around $1000, but easily gives a pathway to upgrade CPU in the future. Ended up doing this because, by all comparisons, an i5-8600k vs the 1700x are basically in line for performance, but can get that 1700x + the mobo for essentially the same price as the 8600k.

I'm not a fan of the monday night commentators.  Witten actually isn't bad but I would take the sunday night crew or Tony Romo over any of them.  Excellent game though.

8600K overclocked will beat the 1700x easily (AMD sucks for overclocking). But if you're not going to overclock, might as well go with the 1700x. And also not spend extra on a K series CPU.

8600K overclocked will beat the 1700x easily (AMD sucks for overclocking). But if you're not going to overclock, might as well you with the 1700x. And also not spend extra on a K series CPU.
People should always buy the K series, just for the overhead in the turbo boost at least lol + if youve seen the results between a 8400 vs 8600k, its just sad... but in most gaming situations 8600k beats the 1700x by at most 14%.

But then again, it's all about preference. I like the 1700x for mid-tier solely its great on productivity stand point, it's insanely cheap right now, possible overclocking and a easy upgrade path for the future.

--- but I mean all my builds for myself, use i7s.

If your budget was around $1400; I'd just switch out the mobo and cpu for 8700k & 370 board / but that build was mainly sticking as close as possible to $1000.

Long term the i7's have been the better investment over the i5's. I'd take a 2600( or x) over the 9600K. Maybe if the 8600K's are down to $220 as that gives you more cash for a cooler. Also the i5's don't have hyper threading vs the 2600 who do, better for long term performance.

I didn't post it because its PS4 news but Fallout 76 first patch is 47 GB.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-11-19-fallout-76s-first-major-patch-is-a-whopping-47gb

Like WTF is Bethesda doing?
They did the "Release the game now, patch/overhaul later" thing.

I learned this, back when Morrowind came out - which was also a mess on Day 1. Performance issues, bugs, broken quests - etc etc.

And companies why I often won't buy games on Day 1 (b/c of games released as Beta) - this further illustrates why we should, in most instances, just wait a bit.

And that's not even getting into other things like price cuts, devaluing games by tossing it into Humbles (and other bundles), devalue base-games by announcing and/or putting out DLC's/Season Passes, etc etc.

It is likely that there were shortages at some point but everyone from manufacturing to retail benefits from milking the perceived shortage long after it has actually ended.   Several sites I have watched items on over the last couple of years have frequently ran out of stock on an item that was on sale for a meager discount only to show back up in stock almost as soon as the sale ends.

People should always buy the K series, just for the overhead in the turbo boost at least lol + if youve seen the results between a 8400 vs 8600k, its just sad... but in most gaming situations 8600k beats the 1700x by at most 14%.
Ironically, the gap between the 8600K and 8400 is smaller than the gap between the 8600K and 1700x for single thread performance. The 8400 and 1700x gives the 8400 a 10% edge in gaming (single/quad core) performance. Actual performance will vary depending on game and settings.

The real difference comes with peak overclocked speeds where the 8600K jumps from beating the others by an average of 20% to beating them by around 26-30%

The 1700x is pretty trash for overclocking, struggling to reach 4.0GHz vs the 8600K easily hitting the 4.8-5.0GHz range

There's perfectly good reasons to buy a 1700x -- price, upgrade path, less emphasis on gaming or because you want to stream. But for gaming performance, the 1700x won't do you any better than a 8400 and both lose by a decent margin to the 8600k, assuming you overclock it as God intended.

bread's done
Back