Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
I don't know anything about those, nor even used one, so I have no idea.

The ROGs are nice when they work. But ultimately, they're still laptops.

Do you have to get a laptop, or is it just cause it's pre-configured?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know anything about those, nor even used one, so I have no idea.

The ROGs are nice when they work. But ultimately, they're still laptops.

Do you have to get a laptop, or is it just cause it's pre-configured?
Well, that's a lot of it. I don't have a really good laptop that I could use for gaming if I so desired, except for fairly low-intensity stuff like Lord of the Rings Online or isometric RPGs like Pillars of Eternity or Tyranny. My work laptop, an HP zBook 15Gu, is good enough for stuff like that, but that's about it. On those rare (but getting a bit more frequent) occasions when I'm travelling for work, it would be nice to have a laptop that can really play anything and everything.

At home, I'm not sure I'd use it for much, to be honest. Any of the ones that I'm eyeballing at the moment has better specs than my current desktop, though. It's got an i5 with 16Gb of DDR4 RAM and a GTX 1050ti. I could upgrade some of its guts, but that's not really why I'm thinking about laptops.

I haven't quite figured out yet why people are so excited about this. The original game was okay at first, but it got repetitious and annoying in later levels, so I never bothered to finish it.
It's the only decent Ghostbusters game ever made, other than the Japan / Europe exclusive New Ghostbusters II for the NES. It was created with input from the original writers and it has most of the original cast on it. For a lot of us, it was a great callback to our childhood.

Eh.

So you've had bad experiences with ASUS ROG computers? Or do they have a bad reputation of which I'm unaware? I'd rather not spend that money on something that won't last for at least a few years--I'll say three is my minimum.

I haven't quite figured out yet why people are so excited about this. The original game was okay at first, but it got repetitious and annoying in later levels, so I never bothered to finish it.
Because some people are dumb like that. Look how many times Activision cashed in on that stupid Deadpool game.

Well, that's a lot of it. I don't have a really good laptop that I could use for gaming if I so desired, except for fairly low-intensity stuff like Lord of the Rings Online or isometric RPGs like Pillars of Eternity or Tyranny. My work laptop, an HP zBook 15Gu, is good enough for stuff like that, but that's about it. On those rare (but getting a bit more frequent) occasions when I'm travelling for work, it would be nice to have a laptop that can really play anything and everything.

At home, I'm not sure I'd use it for much, to be honest. Any of the ones that I'm eyeballing at the moment has better specs than my current desktop, though. It's got an i5 with 16Gb of DDR4 RAM and a GTX 1050ti. I could upgrade some of its guts, but that's not really why I'm thinking about laptops.
I haven't bought a laptop in about 8 years, but the last one I bought was an ASUS ROG. It was a killer laptop, though the HD did eventually poop out after about 3 years. Not a huge dealbreaker, but it effectively ended my time with it.

My overall experience with laptop brands is that it's nearly a crapshoot. I've had some brands that people hated that were bulletproof. I've had others that were highly regarded that didn't impress.

To me, laptops have been just a luxury. I've bought them figuring on getting a few years out of them, at most, and then moving on.

I would second dell, I still dont know why they get shit all over for laptops. I bought a c2d with some gtx in it like 13 years ago, never had an issue, my parents still use that laptop to this day as their daily machine. The wife also had a dell laptop a few years newer and even though she doesnt use it anymore last time I tried it still booted up just fine

I have an Acer Nitro Laptop myself. Had it for probably 3 years or so. i7 4720 HQ, GTX 960m 4gb, 16 GB RAM, 2TB HDD, W10 x64 - it's fine. 720p-1080p at Medium at 30-60fps, it runs most that I toss at it - stuff like Vamypr, GR: Wildlands, WWE 2K18, Fallout 4, etc etc. Trying to get the heat down, though - that's always the challenge for that thing, which is normally what causes me to run at lower res's sometimes (720p or 900p) at 35fps tops on newer stuff just to keep it away from 90-100 degrees Celsius.

Though, my EVGA SC15 laptop is a champ. i7 7700HQ, GTX 1060 6GB (mobile), G-Sync, 120hz, 16 GB RAM, 256 SSD (Boot), 1TB HDD (secondary), W10 x64. This thing runs stuff better than my aging GTX 970 desktop. Even games like AC: Origins, which can be challenged by my aging desktop (i.e. cap the game at 30fps at 1080p on Medium just to get it running smooth), the SC15 eats it for breakfast with 60-70fps no problem at 1080p with High. Heat just ain't a problem at all with this beast.

Fry's:

$80 for a $100-valued Steam Card.

1 per customer.

In store.

Promo Code is in your daily Fry's e-mail.
Damn, I could make good use out of that... Sadly, no Fry's here. Same for you, right?

Edit: In Division news I got both my 20 round 5.56 magazine and my Nemesis sniper rifle complete in the same day... Not sure what to think of that. I'm likely in for shit drops for a while now.

Was all jazzed up to get my Nemesis then realized I never got the drop from Roosevelt.  Not sure if I've run Roosevelt a bunch of times or only a few times and it just felt like a bunch because that map is the worst.

Was all jazzed up to get my Nemesis then realized I never got the drop from Roosevelt. Not sure if I've run Roosevelt a bunch of times or only a few times and it just felt like a bunch because that map is the worst.
Its better invaded but, yeah, normal runs on it are horrible fight at the end with the tanks that have to be blown up... Boss fight before that isn't much better.

Nemesis is both a great weapon and has an amazing holstered talent. I expect it to be nerfed soon.

Was all jazzed up to get my Nemesis then realized I never got the drop from Roosevelt. Not sure if I've run Roosevelt a bunch of times or only a few times and it just felt like a bunch because that map is the worst.
giphy.gif

I got a special exotic gun the other day in Div 2.  It's like that orange red color and does cool stuff according to Syntax.

I shoot people and then when I release the trigger they go blam.  Or they are supposed to.  Haven't quite figured it out.  I have some random talents on my other guns that are pretty neat.  I have an LMG that gives me a chance to refill my clip with every landed shot.  So far I've been able to string together 300 rounds of ammo at one time which comes in handy against heavies or nameds.  My pistol randomly gives one of my guns special ammo with each landed shot or something like that.  

I got a special exotic gun the other day in Div 2. It's like that orange red color and does cool stuff according to Syntax.
I shoot people and then when I release the trigger they go blam. Or they are supposed to. Haven't quite figured it out. I have some random talents on my other guns that are pretty neat. I have an LMG that gives me a chance to refill my clip with every landed shot. So far I've been able to string together 300 rounds of ammo at one time which comes in handy against heavies or nameds. My pistol randomly gives one of my guns special ammo with each landed shot or something like that.
Is this like the Derpvision version of the old D&D standby: "Let me tell you about my character"?

Its better invaded but, yeah, normal runs on it are horrible fight at the end with the tanks that have to be blown up... Boss fight before that isn't much better.
It's just boring and feels like a slog. It's all outside, so if it's night time or raining, it's that much more annoying. None of the areas are especially interesting; they're all "Here's a big area and some snipers up in elevated positions". It's unattractive, being all torn up trees and crap made out of 2x4s. Every other map has something cool or distinctive about it -- Roosevelt has... a giant stupid fuel tank?

[Translation]
You are the wind beneath my wings.

Thanks for the tips, everyone.

No, but mainly because I had a very specific way I wanted to pay for it, which is using the Amazon "layaway." I just got all of my credit cards paid off, so I didn't feel like loading one up again.

I would second dell, I still dont know why they get shit all over for laptops. I bought a c2d with some gtx in it like 13 years ago, never had an issue, my parents still use that laptop to this day as their daily machine. The wife also had a dell laptop a few years newer and even though she doesnt use it anymore last time I tried it still booted up just fine
Amazon had a couple of Dells and one Alienware in the payment-plan area, but none of them looked too great. I was not settling for a system with 8Gb of system RAM.

I have an Acer Nitro Laptop myself. Had it for probably 3 years or so. i7 4720 HQ, GTX 960m 4gb, 16 GB RAM, 2TB HDD, W10 x64 - it's fine. 720p-1080p at Medium at 30-60fps, it runs most that I toss at it - stuff like Vamypr, GR: Wildlands, WWE 2K18, Fallout 4, etc etc. Trying to get the heat down, though - that's always the challenge for that thing, which is normally what causes me to run at lower res's sometimes (720p or 900p) at 35fps tops on newer stuff just to keep it away from 90-100 degrees Celsius.
I ended up going with an Acer too.

The Aspire Nitro Black Edition has this stuff:
  • 7th Generation Intel Core i7-7700HQ Quad Core Processor 2.8GHz with Turbo Boost Technology up to 3.8GHz
  • Windows 10 Home
  • 17.3" Full HD (1920 x 1080) widescreen LED-backlit IPS display
  • Integrated Tobii Eye Tracking Technology
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 with 6 GB of dedicated GDDR5 VRAM
  • 16GB DDR4 2400MHz Dual Channel Memory
  • 512GB SSD
  • 1TB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
  • Acer TrueHarmony Plus High-Performance Sound System
  • Four Built-in Stereo Speakers and Built-in Digital Microphone
  • HD Webcam (1280 x 720)
  • Acer Fingerprint Reader
  • Secure Digital (SD) card reader
  • 802.11ac WiFi featuring 2x2 MU-MIMO technology (Dual-Band 2.4GHz and 5GHz)
  • Bluetooth 4.0
  • 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 port)
  • 1 - Thunderbolt 3 (Full USB 3.1 Type C) Port
  • 2 - USB 3.0 Ports (One with Power-off Charging)
  • 2 – USB 2.0 Ports

I still don't understand why modern PCs have ANY USB 2.0 ports on their motherboards, though.

Nothing- tries to get you to join the marching band.
The leader of the band is tired, and his eyes are growing old, but his blood runs through my instrument, and his song is in my soul.

Did I win?

I ended up going with an Acer too.

The Aspire Nitro Black Edition has this stuff:

• 7th Generation Intel Core i7-7700HQ Quad Core Processor 2.8GHz with Turbo Boost Technology up to 3.8GHz
  • Windows 10 Home
  • 17.3" Full HD (1920 x 1080) widescreen LED-backlit IPS display
  • Integrated Tobii Eye Tracking Technology
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 with 6 GB of dedicated GDDR5 VRAM
  • 16GB DDR4 2400MHz Dual Channel Memory
  • 512GB SSD
  • 1TB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
  • Acer TrueHarmony Plus High-Performance Sound System
  • Four Built-in Stereo Speakers and Built-in Digital Microphone
  • HD Webcam (1280 x 720)
  • Acer Fingerprint Reader
  • Secure Digital (SD) card reader
  • 802.11ac WiFi featuring 2x2 MU-MIMO technology (Dual-Band 2.4GHz and 5GHz)
  • Bluetooth 4.0
  • 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 port)
  • 1 - Thunderbolt 3 (Full USB 3.1 Type C) Port
  • 2 - USB 3.0 Ports (One with Power-off Charging)
  • 2 – USB 2.0 Ports

I still don't understand why modern PCs have ANY USB 2.0 ports on their motherboards, though.
Nice @ TB3 and most of the specs (especially the ones that I bolded-up). Power-wise and the specs, this sounds like a winner. Enjoy your new laptop beast. :)

Do you know if the PC comes w/ G-Sync support?

And what the refresh rate on the monitor is: 60hz? 75hz? 90hz? 120hz? 144hz? 240hz?

Why it comes w/ USB 2.0, who knows. USB 3.0 would be much better, at least.

Maybe they're giving you more really cheap ports for...you to have more ports to toss in stuff that really don't need the speed for you to plug in there?

If you need more USB 3.0 ports, you could just buy a portable USB 3.0 hub; it's what I did.

And what the refresh rate on the monitor is: 60hz? 75hz? 90hz? 120hz? 144hz? 240hz?

Maybe they're giving you more really cheap ports for...you to have more ports to toss in stuff that really don't need the speed for you to plug in there?

If you need more USB 3.0 ports, you could just buy a portable USB 3.0 hub; it's what I did.
Its just what the chipset version supports. Like each new revision 250/270/310/370/390, they support different setups, and have slowly been phasing in more and more usb3 over usb2. It also depends on the extra storage controller the mobo manuf puts on there (at least on desktops not so much laptops) since sometimes those also come with extra usb2/3 support and so you end up with more coming off of those

Nice @ TB3 and most of the specs (especially the ones that I bolded-up). Power-wise and the specs, this sounds like a winner. Enjoy your new laptop beast. :)

Do you know if the PC comes w/ G-Sync support?

Thanks. I'm not sure about the G-Sync thing; I honestly don't know that much about it. I'm pretty sure the monitor is 60Hz. They had some Predators with 144 rates, but the one I was eyeballing sold out.

Yeah, I actually think they recommend using the 2.0s for stuff like a mouse and a controller.

Thanks. I'm not sure about the G-Sync thing; I honestly don't know that much about it. I'm pretty sure the monitor is 60Hz. They had some Predators with 144 rates, but the one I was eyeballing sold out.
60hz should be fine, of course. It's what most people on the PC have and use, these day and age.

About G-Sync: it's NVidia's own Adaptive-Sync technique that kills input lag, stuttering, and screen tearing. Those nasty things that I just mentioned can happen when not using an A-Sync method; especially when using other syncing methods like V-Sync.

A-Sync methods have the monitor and vid card communicate, adjusting the monitor on-the-fly to a specific framerate when need be (instead of staying and aiming always for the monitor's refresh rate), which makes A-Sync make your gaming experience smooth b/c you likely won't have stutters, frame repeats, input lag, or any of that annoying stuff.

And A-Sync methods are even better when paired w/ a monitor w/ high refresh rates. When games take massive hits - for example, say you're at 120fps and take a nasty hit to 90fps for some reason (i.e. scene's intense and a ton of stuff is going on in a scene and/or in the game) - yeah, you likely won't notice and/or feel it when playing. Everything's just smooth as can be.

IMHO, G-Sync and higher refresh rates (i.e. 75hz and up) are really useful for very fast paced action games, such as fast-paced FPS's. Think of something like Overwatch.

FreeSync is what AMD supports for Adaptive Syncing, BTW.

Yeah, I actually think they recommend using the 2.0s for stuff like a mouse and a controller.
Yeah, I would put mice, keyboards, controllers, and other stuff of that sort on the USB 2.0 port. You really don't need 3.0 to run those fine.

To ger this thread back on topic:

I just got a Papa Johns 30% discount code from SquareEnix. It seems to be a generic code, so feel free to use it if you’re into Papa Johns for some reason. Looks like it only works on regular menu price items, though.

FFXIV30

...I didn’t even know I was on SquareEnix’s mailing list.

To ger this thread back on topic:

I just got a Papa Johns 30% discount code from SquareEnix. It seems to be a generic code, so feel free to use it if you’re into Papa Johns for some reason. Looks like it only works on regular menu price items, though.

FFXIV30

...I didn’t even know I was on SquareEnix’s mailing list.
this is actually a prank code, if you use it, papa john's delivers you a Hawaiian pizza (regardless of what you actually ordered) along with a digital download code for The Quiet Man

the joke was it comes with a download code for the quiet man video game, not movie, congrats on not getting my reference and ruining my stupid joke guys

Since gilby posted a clue gif... here's a good one for this thread... for when people post deals/glitches after they over already.

0uRCoDc.gif

bread's done
Back