Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
Any good? Also thanks for pointing it out. I will add the game to my library tonight.
I guess... Its free, small (filesize, 200mb), and doesn't take long to beat. The thing that I didn't realize when I bought it was that it was a series of boss battles connected by a series of areas. I thought it would be more like... Zelda, I guess. With towns/areas and then dungeons with a boss at the end. I don't know if there's a story... I either forgot or I ignored it.

Fanatical has, in my great and unmatched wisdom, released another beautiful, beautiful bundle. The Guardians Bundle. Guardians! In a bundle! It's just beautiful. Only I can tell you about such tremendous bundles. Everyone knows it.

$1 Tier:

Asura: Vengeance Expansion
Asura is an Action Rogue-like set in a fantasy world inspired by the richness of Indian mythology. It features a unique procedural skill tree which changes on every play-through.

Guards
Four heroes are facing a horde of evil! Ultimate abilities, magic artifacts, hero upgrades and clever tactics... All these will help to defeat the Boss.

Rym 9000
Rym 9000 is a hyperkinetic shooter inspired by Akira, Neon Genesis Evangelion, and Guxt. A treasure-hunting journey to the Moon developed by Sonoshee and composed by Roex. A unique high-octane experience conceived to stimulate your senses and make your eyes and ears bleed!

$3.49 Tier:

Attack of the Earthlings
Take on Galactoil, a comically dysfunctional intergalactic energy corporation, and its larger-than-life employees in a tactical-stealth game that fuses satisfying strategic gameplay and dark comedy in a quirky single-player story.

Jet Set Knights
Jet Set Knights is an old-school arcade action platformer inspired by classics from the golden age such as Mario Bros, Snow Bros or newest Super Crate Box. If You love retro 2D platformers mixed with tower defense and RPG elements, Jet Set Knight is for You!

Odyssey - The Story of Science
Odyssey is an enchanting and innovative science adventure game. Help Kai and her family escape their captors on the Wretched Islands - and learn the history of astronomy, mechanics, and scientific reasoning as you read Kai's journal and solve puzzles along the way!

Guards of the Gate
Guards of the Gate is a roguelike turn-based game on hexagonal fields. You control a team of heroes aka Guards of the Gate, who are trying to save the world from the evil Dragon Lord.

ALLTYNEX Second
The year is 2192AD. 40 years ago, the Stellar-class All-purpose Administrative Computer ALLTYNEX suddenly attempted to enact genocide upon mankind. Commandeering armies of unmanned weapons, ALLTYNEX enacted a massacre so terrible that within only 72 hours of the start of the incident,

Gunman Tales
Gunman Tales is an old-school action adventure game for 1-4 players set in the wild west and inspired by the legendary game from Amiga Moonstone: A Hard Days Knight and Cabal

Last edited by a moderator:
Nathan Grayson of Kotaku - "PC Game Install Sizes Are Ballooning And I'm Scared" article:
https://kotaku.com/pc-game-install-sizes-are-ballooning-and-im-scared-1838956525

Notes:
- Red Dead Redemption 2 PC will require 150GB for install
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare [2019 Reboot] PC version will require 175GB of space to install
- Gears of War 4, Gears 5, FF XV and Halo 5 PC versions all take up over 100GB of space to install
- Textures are getting more & more complex...and bigger
- There's not really a practical way to compress textures with little-to-no loss in fidelity, unlike audio

Grayson is the guy who started gamergate by boinking that weirdo and giving they game positive press which eventually led to the death of the Night in the Woods dev.

Nathan Grayson of Kotaku - "PC Game Install Sizes Are Ballooning And I'm Scared" article:
https://kotaku.com/pc-game-install-sizes-are-ballooning-and-im-scared-1838956525

Notes:
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare [2019 Reboot] PC version will require 175GB of space to install
- Gears of War 4, Gears 5, FF XV and Halo 5 PC versions all take up over 100GB of space to install
- There's not really a practical way to compress textures with little-to-no loss in fidelity, unlike audio
Good thing that SSD prices are still falling. Not really an issue at all imo. Not when you can get 1TB nVME and SATA SSDs for < $100 now. This is one I'm prob going to buy next: the Inland Premium 1TB nVME drive for $104.99. Even though I have survived off 500gb for 1year now.

You can even get a 10TB external HD for $199.99 now, or 6TB for $99.99.

Game file sizes go up; so does the amount of bang the your buck you get with storage.

The only thing that's been kind of crazy to me are the +$100-150 increased prices on the X570 motherboards for the new Ryzen 3000 chips because they are PCIe 4.0 compatible (even faster M.2 drives). But you don't even need to get one of those.

Good thing that SSD prices are still falling. Not really an issue at all imo. Not when you can get 1TB nVME and SATA SSDs for < $100 now. This is next one I'm prob going to buy next: the Inland Premium 1TB nVME drive for $104.99. Even though I have survived off 500gb for 1year now.

You can even get a 10TB external HD for $199.99 now, or 6TB for $99.99.

Game file sizes go up; so does the amount of bang the your buck you get with storage.

The only thing that's been kind of crazy to me are the +$100-150 increased prices on the X570 motherboards for the new Ryzen 3000 chips because they are PCIe 4.0 compatible (even faster M.2 drives). But you don't even need to get one of those.
I don't think SSD prices have fallen enough yet, given the amount of TB we get. Sure, we're paying for speed here when you go SSD - but w/ the way these AAA games are going, we're going to easily eat up some space w/ just a handful of say the newer titles. Hopefully, SSD prices keep going down.

1TB HDD/SSD will be filled in no time. Gears 4, Gears 5, RDR2, COD: MW 2019, Shadow of War, COD BO4, and Destiny 2: Steam version are each around 100GB or more.

GR: Wildlands and AC: Odyssey are each in the 80-90GB or so range.

The 10GB and 6TB external HDD's are much better bang-for-the-$, in terms of space and size. Though, those aren't likely anywhere close to the speed of a SSD unfortunately. I hope those keep falling in price, as we're really going to need these externals just to back-up some huge games.

I don't think SSD prices have fallen enough yet, given the amount of TB we get. Sure, we're paying for speed here when you go SSD - but w/ the way these AAA games are going, we're going to easily eat up some space w/ just a handful of say the newer titles. Hopefully, SSD prices keep going down.

1TB HDD/SSD will be filled in no time. Gears 4, Gears 5, RDR2, COD: MW 2019, Shadow of War, COD BO4, and Destiny 2: Steam version are each around 100GB or more.

GR: Wildlands and AC: Odyssey are each in the 80-90GB or so range.

The 10GB and 6TB external HDD's are much better bang-for-the-$, in terms of space and size. Though, those aren't likely anywhere close to the speed of a SSD unfortunately. I hope those keep falling in price, as we're really going to need these externals just to back-up some huge games.
You don't like the small capacity of the high-speed drives and you don't like the slow speed of the large capacity drives. At that point it's just frivolous complaining.

Your problem is that you hoard data.

Learn2Uninstall.

You don't like the small capacity of the high-speed drives and you don't like the slow speed of the large capacity drives. At that point it's just frivolous complaining.

Your problem is that you hoard data.

Learn2Uninstall.
It's times like these, in some ways, I do miss the old days. If you bought a game at retail, you didn't have to do that back-up yourself; as you had basically most of the data you needed. Only thing we needed to back-up on somewhere - which back then, was on CD, DVD, and/or HDD's - were patches. Patches weren't always that huge, unless a game got an insane overhaul.

But w/ this era of games w/ 4K textures (when not everybody has a 4K video card to handle it); a lot of PC games not at retail on disc; PC games at retail likely only have one disc and you download the rest - yeah, especially in the AAA space - yep, here this stuff seems to be getting out of control.

While games like Gears 5, which are still huge (72GB without HD texture pack) - at least that games gives us an option to download the HD textures in the game. It ain't forced or shoved down our throats, whether we actually can use them...or not.

Also, where's a happy medium with something b/t slow HDD's with lots of space and fast SSD's with not-much-space?

Also, where's a happy medium with something b/t slow HDD's with lots of space and fast SSD's with not-much-space?
You can get it, you just have to be willing to pay for it

Since 10k/15k rpm hdds are fairly rare you have to look at ones with large caches. 512mb caches do exist but they are enterprise grade hdds, you'll get space and speed but are going to pay for it. Otherwise get the toshiba x-series that have 256mb caches at 7200rpm

The other option is creating an ssd cache. This has been around for like a decade now. You can slap a smaller ssd in to a system and tell it to start being a cache for a multi-tb hdd. Works out great for games you play often, i.e. once the maps for a game like battlefield or r6 have been cached you get ssd speeds

fyi the intel optane system is basically just the most recent gen of ssd caching that intel has pimping forever

I don't think anyone wants to dedicate shelves or boxes to CDs/DVDs and game boxes anymore.  Just learn to prioritize.  Install the main games you always play on your SSD and keep them there.  If there's a game you are currently playing that could benefit from the SSD then install it there and then delete it when you're done and move on to the next.  

On my SSD I have:

Killing Floor 2

PUBG

Battlefield V

Star Wars Battlefront II

Far Cry New Dawn

Rainbow Six Siege

Division 2

Watch Dogs 2

I still have 230 GBs to spare. I have a 5TB Toshiba (the one Sas recommended) where I keep the rest along with a ton of refurb Hitachis.

The Toshiba was like $115.  The Hitachis were $30 each.  My Samsung 1TB SSD was like $150 a year ago and they've dropped even more.  

On my SSD I have:

Killing Floor 2

PUBG

Battlefield V

Star Wars Battlefront II

Far Cry New Dawn

Rainbow Six Siege

Division 2

Watch Dogs 2

I still have 230 GBs to spare.
My gaming laptop has 256 GB SSD (main drive) and 1TB HDD (second drive).

I don't currently have the amount of SSD space internally that you do.

I've already had to shuffle Gears 4 & 5 to external HDD's, since they're so damn big; and that since I'm done w/ the SP Campaigns.

re; Div 2 apparel cache keys

So I've been playing pretty much nonstop during my freetime since the drop rate fix announcement last Friday.  I've also been keeping notes on all of my level ups.  Since the "patch" I've gotten exactly 6 keys in 21 levels.   Before that I was 0 for 6, and then 6 for 15 when I went back to playing last week. 

I just got off of a 0 for 7 streak and I don't believe the drop rate has improved at all really.  That's one key every 3 1/2 levels since the patch, which the improved drop rate is undocumented as far as I can tell.  (honestly, it's not in the "patch notes".)  So my grand total is 12 event keys in 42 field proficiency caches.  I'm at 19/30 for the event and patience is wearing thin. 

re; Div 2 apparel cache keys

So I've been playing pretty much nonstop during my freetime since the drop rate fix announcement last Friday. I've also been keeping notes on all of my level ups. Since the "patch" I've gotten exactly 6 keys in 21 levels. Before that I was 0 for 6, and then 6 for 15 when I went back to playing last week.

I just got off of a 0 for 7 streak and I don't believe the drop rate has improved at all really. That's one key every 3 1/2 levels since the patch, which the improved drop rate is undocumented as far as I can tell. (honestly, it's not in the "patch notes".) So my grand total is 12 event keys in 36 field proficiency caches. I'm at 19/30 for the event and patience is wearing thin.
If you ever want people to game with there's a group of us that games pretty consistently. The XP and caches come alot quicker when gaming as a group.

I know that posts that mention emulation are frowned upon, but I just wanted to tell someone that I finally found the PlayStation 2 controller to PC dongle that I thought that I had lost years ago.  So, I will be spending the weekend replaying my PS2 disc games on my PC with a proper controller.  Using an Xbox One controller to enjoy those games just seemed wrong.

I also found a fakey PDP GameCube controller and a GameCube to PS2 controller dongle that I bought in the same box that I plan to connect to the PS2 controller to PC dongle.  In other words, it'll be just like the early 2000s again except I'm getting laid less and have less hair on my head these days.

Haha I remember having an old PS1 controller adapter with 2 sides that worked with DDR pads. Ah the good old Stepmania days probably about 15 or so years ago. Was fun and a good way to exercise for sure.

Also what all of those data-hog games have in common: 70% cutscenes and 30% game.  That's why you can safely 'play' these 'games' on YouTube!

Notes:
Things I learned from the article: MysterD is Nathan Grayson.

Learn2Uninstall.
Welcome to Bandwidth Cap Town. Where that gigabit internet connection is sweet n' fast but you'll be paying $10 per 50GB once you go over 1TB of data in a month. That or pay more per month on the "business" plan. Better hope Microsoft doesn't screw up Halo5 downloads like Gears4. 3 failed downloads equals 300GB wasted.

Destiny2 Steam version required a reinstall of 80GB, aka 8% of my bandwidth used on the first day of the month. Streaming video from netflix/amazon/youtube adds up too. On average 150GB a month for me.

Also, those Inland (and other brands using the same controller) nvme ssd's are probably the best bang for your buck bargain out there right now for the 1TB and 512gb models.

Oh, In case anyone was wondering, the new AMD Rewards promo spits out Epic codes for BL3, not some "link your account to get the game" thing.

I know the limited bandwith game as well. 1 TB here too. It's not a pretty future, and will have to be very choosy for what I download and install. 

Oh, In case anyone was wondering, the new AMD Rewards promo spits out Epic codes for BL3, not some "link your account to get the game" thing.
After the last cluster fuck of promo codes, AMD Rewards gets it right... too bad they're hocking for Epic. 1 step forward, 2 steps back.

Notes:
dystopian future coming in which i actually have to uninstall games

cool, but do you still need a righteous duder to validate that you the right graphics card or whatever?
Yeah I just bought a Ryzen 2700X from Microcenter, but had a friend pick it up and send it since the closest one to me is a state away. Microcenter sent me the links for the code but you need to download an app and "verify" you have an AMD processor, same with the 3 Free months of Xbox subscription. Im still waiting on the parts so I cant actually activate them yet which is crap. Since their codes though I might Sell them after validating my parts, and just re-buy when its GOTY releases on Steam where I have the first 3 games.

Not sure which I love more... The speed I get with Google Fiber of the fack Google doesn't care about how much data is used. Honestly, there's nowhere in my account settings that shows data usage.
This is actually a good thing becuase companies that try to enforce a cap when media becomes larger and larger will have a massive push back if they try to enforce any stupid caps. With things like Stadia on the horizon, if say Comcast tries to enforce some arbitrary cap and a large % of people have it not only will the customers push back but Google would probably back them in a court case, as its in Googles interests. And Google has enough capital and is big enough where if Google starts tossing it head around they will have to listen.

Netflix really isnt thats why Netflix had to learn to play ball with them.

Sports companies already do this with cable companies and from first hand experience Ive seen the push back. Cable companies have to license out to show the games on their stations, if they dont the game gets blacked out and people get pissed, suddenly you have hundreds of people calling in tieing up your phone lines, you have to have reps to answer those lines. Most of the time the cable company caves, they do try to pass the buck off to the customer by "raising rates" which is a bullshit tactic.

Hypothetically if Google wanted to hurt say Comcast all they would have to do is throttle youtube and google sites for those customers put a blurb up about why its happening with a spin that the companies not playing ball and just let the customers tear into the company. They kind of already do this. Sometimes on Youtube youll get a popup about "Is your stream stuttering" and basically says your ISP is shit. The last thing cable companies want is competition and when a good chunk of your user base is disgruntled it makes it much easier for a competitor to move in since they know they can steal those users and its a safe investment.

On a side note just because you cant see your data usage your ISP can. Go download a about 100 terabytes of data in a short period and youll get a call/letter, maybe no repercussions at first but they will notice.

Not sure which I love more... The speed I get with Google Fiber of the fack Google doesn't care about how much data is used. Honestly, there's nowhere in my account settings that shows data usage.
Comcast has for two years or so pushed the best deals as combo packs with 1-2 year "agreements" aka contracts. Fiber is close to me supposedly but they've been saying that for 5 years now. Half a mile south of me has it but that doesnt help me with Comcast.

Nice deal if you can get it. Which most people can't because Google proved incompetent at actually installing a fiber network.

They were drilling cylindrical cores out of the concrete in front of every house on my street last week.  I went out and talked to one of the workers and he said something about readying fiber cables.

Google abandoned most of their big plans to install fiber across America.  They were supposed to install fiber in all of Atlanta and they eventually just installed it near the airport and then stopped.  

Comcast can do what they want as long as there is no competition.  Every other cable/internet provider has caps.  Every cable provider has an unlimited option for $30 more.  I don't really see Google stepping in any time soon.  Stadia is going to be very niche and unless that takes off the average user is still not going to hit the 1TB monthly cap.  

Wasn't part of google's problem that so many other ISPs have deals with cities or something like that?
That was part of it. But they also planned their expansion around rapidly using shallow trenches just below the surface which proved to be problematic. And also likely poorly installed since other companies using the same techniques haven't had Google's issues with exposed lines, etc.

Comcast can do what they want as long as there is no competition. Every other cable/internet provider has caps. Every cable provider has an unlimited option for $30 more. I don't really see Google stepping in any time soon. Stadia is going to be very niche and unless that takes off the average user is still not going to hit the 1TB monthly cap.
Well, Cox is the de facto monopoly-owner in my neck of the woods and their unlimited plans are a lot more than $30 over what I'm paying now.

It is true that I never got close to a 1Tb cap until I started subbing to Game Pass. Now it's become a not-uncommon occurrence. Because Cox tends to do a crap job of telling you that you're close to your cap in a timely fashion (i.e., two days later), I have had some overage charges.

Well, Cox is the de facto monopoly-owner in my neck of the woods and their unlimited plans are a lot more than $30 over what I'm paying now.

It is true that I never got close to a 1Tb cap until I started subbing to Game Pass. Now it's become a not-uncommon occurrence. Because Cox tends to do a crap job of telling you that you're close to your cap in a timely fashion (i.e., two days later), I have had some overage charges.
I checked, and you're right, it's $50 for both Comcast and Cox. I think ATT is the one that charges $30. Cox has an extra 500GB for $30.

I checked, and you're right, it's $50 for both Comcast and Cox. I think ATT is the one that charges $30. Cox has an extra 500GB for $30.
Last I checked, Comcast was $30. If they raised it then fuck Comcast. That 1 TB goes so quickly and near the end of every month, I have to start watching what I do and what I download. Caps suck. And it's not like it's going to get better with more streaming options... But another $50 is almost a non-starter. I'd pay maybe $20-$30 for another TB though....

Last I checked, Comcast was $30. If they raised it then fuck Comcast. That 1 TB goes so quickly and near the end of every month, I have to start watching what I do and what I download. Caps suck. And it's not like it's going to get better with more streaming options... But another $50 is almost a non-starter. I'd pay maybe $20-$30 for another TB though....
Which brings us back full circle again to why physical media is king.

I watched (Rambo) First Blood on 4K disc on Saturday night and it was awesome.

I remember when the GTA V install size (in the 60GB range) was a big deal. Now we are approaching more than double that, plus updates can further increase the overall file size of a given game.

Strange how laptops marketed for their gaming capabilities still ship with 256GB SSDs, eg. Razer Blade 15. This is entirely inadequate for that purpose.

I remember when the GTA V install size (in the 60GB range) was a big deal. Now we are approaching more than double that, plus updates can further increase the overall file size of a given game.

Strange how laptops marketed for their gaming capabilities still ship with 256GB SSDs, eg. Razer Blade 15. This is entirely inadequate for that purpose.
The really strange thing to me is how its a race to the bottom with young people and their purchasing habits. Quality has taken a back seat to cheap prices and 'a la carte' pricing these days.

For example, stupid people would rather have the next Playstation 5 come with fewer hardware options straight out of the box. They could live without the UHD disc reader, several extra USB ports, nice ergonomics, good cooling and convenience factors. Anything to keep the price at $399! People don't care about quality anymore. They'll just buy an external 5400rpm HDD for $100-200 later.

It's a price war with most big screen televisions too. Companies put absolute dogshit quality speakers in new sets these days in order to save 20 bucks. That keeps the prices low. The sound quality is atrocious. People happily eat it up and then go out and buy a soundbar for $150-300 instead. They also wonder why they're sick of their $300 Black Friday TVs after two years. "what does it cost?", "what is the sticker price?"

I'm sure you've noticed the way many restaurants have changed their menus over the last decade. Shake Shack is a good example. It's only $8-9 for the burger but then all you are getting is the patty plus the bun. These places, tech companies, digital game publishers function solely in ways that fool people into spending more money. It's why base games are given away dirt cheap or even free these days. The Borderlands DLC model, Destiny 2 going free, Fortnite. It's what has caused tradional MMORPGs to go extinct; why develop for those when you can get kids to spend $10 on skins every month or $25 on map packs or "episodes" a couple times per year. Millennials and Gen Z'ers eat this shit up like crazy. They cut their $150 cable bills and then subscribe to a dozen different digital services. Companies extract more money out of people through 'a la carte' pricing then they used to do through traditional sales.

To be fair, with physical media I'd never have the problem of deciding which of the hundred or so GamePass games to install and play for a couple bucks a month.
Digital PC games aren't really part of the discussion in this case. That's a different ecosystem entirely. There's no such thing as shipping a complete game anymore. Prices, bundles, and subs have gotten so cheap and the services have gotten so good that PC gaming isn't in the same realm of discussion. It can be as cheap as you want it to be. Everything needs to be online and updated regularly anyways.

You aren't suffering Netflix quality streams with digital PC gaming either. You get the complete, high-quality product and it's just the download speeds and data caps that are primary constraints.

So it sounds like Volition has finally found the long-missing source code for the PC port of Saints Row II, and it will be getting free patches and fixes at some point in the future to make it not run like an absolute turd.

I recently switched from Comcast to Century Link and I haven't looked back. Faster speeds, no caps, and its cheaper than my old deal with Comcast. If Century Link is an option where you live it's worth a look.

I recently switched from Comcast to Century Link and I haven't looked back. Faster speeds, no caps, and its cheaper than my old deal with Comcast. If Century Link is an option where you live it's worth a look.
I did the same, roughly a year ago. Got the fiber package with no cap. Speeds aren't always the best, especially during what are considered "high traffic" hours, but I can download ALL the funny cat videos I want without any concern for going over some bullshit, artificial data limit.

How badly do you think Google Stadia is going to flop?
tenor.gif

So it sounds like Volition has finally found the long-missing source code for the PC port of Saints Row II, and it will be getting free patches and fixes at some point in the future to make it not run like an absolute turd.
Not just performance and stability fixes, but they'll also integrate Steam's networking for online co-op/multiplayer and add the console only DLC to the PC version.

And the missing DLC's are coming to the PC version of SR2 Rebuilt too!

Awesome!

bread's done
Back